• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Guys I am having a serious problem. I got BF4 in the Origin sale and the damn thing keeps glitching on me. Every few seconds the game freezes like a record getting stuck, and the sound stutters. I have tried re-installing drivers (clean install), putting setting all the way down to low and even closing any other programs while it's running including my AV.

I am running a 4690k stock with an EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0. It only happens with BF4, no other game stutters at all, no issues whatsoever.

Please help me, I need it to work because I am reviewing a mouse.

Turn off any and all programs that have an overlay. I had the exact same problem and it was caused by Afterburner's on screen display

Kieli

I hate Amazon.ca so much.

They never should have sold me a $350 GTX 970 if they weren't willing to honor it.

*hulk rage*

Dennis

Banned
Hello PC GAF,

I am looking for recommendations for vendors that can build me a PC to my exact specifications with all the options that building your own normally allows but them doing it for me.

I am in the US, PC must be delivered to Nashville, TN.

I am looking for enthusiast-level hardware and I am very particular about the components.

Any recommendations for trusted and high quality vendor would be appreciated.

Azulsky

I went with the Zowie K1 for my new mouse.

Oh the sensor is as smooth as a baby's bottom, and I haven't even purchased a good mousepad yet.

I like not having to deal with software. Just click button for DPI change.

Only complaint is that cable is not braided type, but still seems high quality with plated connector.

The Llama

Hello PC GAF,

I am looking for recommendations for vendors that can build me a PC to my exact specifications with all the options that building your own normally allows but them doing it for me.

I am looking for enthusiast-level hardware and I am very particular about the components.

NCIX will build a PC for you for $60. I've heard they'll price match other sites too, though I can't personally verify that.

Or just build it yourself :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Posting once here but I'm selling my 770 4gb now for 240.

Pic

lsk88.jpg

It's barely even been used since I got it Feb and is in great condition.

There's also a few other non HW listings in the b/s/t thread.

kennah

This might be a really dumb question, but it is a GTX 670 better than a 760? The Dying Light specs came out and I am worried I wont be able to play it at all lol. My 760 is 4 gb, if that matters in the end
They are the same card with different stickers.

Kieli

Hello PC GAF,

Have you considered NCIX? They will build your computer for $50.

That's a small premium compared to vendors that make a custom-built (which you will still be doing).

Im about to install my Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, but first it's reccomends that I remove all drivers for my existing graphics card, which is a Nvidia GeForce GT 635. I've never removed drivers for anything before so Im not quite sure how to do that?

golem

Im about to install my Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, but first it's reccomends that I remove all drivers for my existing graphics card, which is a Nvidia GeForce GT 635. I've never removed drivers for anything before so Im not quite sure how to do that?
Download DDU

I finished building the Excellent build yesterday, and I'm installing software. Are there any tips with managing/maintaining the Crucail SSD? I heard there are protocolos or software for preventing overuse of specific sectors and the like. Do you guys have info?

I'm downloading DA Inquisition right now as well. Should be fun not seeing super shinny low-res hair.

Ettie

PC GAF, if any of you can give me an opinion on this issue I'd appreciate it.

My wife currently runs:

I5-750 @ 3.0Ghz (Hyper 212 evo)
4GB @ 1333
5850 GPU
SSD (Boot = Old 60GB Vertex 2ish / Games = 512 GB MX100)

We're looking to upgrade in the next 8-12 months, either to a Skylake platform, or try to cash in on a Haswell fire sale once the next big thing hits. She's currently at 1680x1050, will probably upgrade to 1080p in the next year. New system would be whatever is considered "Enthusiast" on the table a year from now.

My question is: How much more theoretical performance will the all-new system provide over just taking the above system and jacking the O/C to 4Ghz, double RAM to 8GB, and buy a 970/980 GPU?

I'm asking now because if the gap is small, she may elect to do some of the upgrading and overclocking now, rather than wait a year.

Guys, I seem to have a problem with my USB devices disconnecting and losing power.
Specifically it's my keyboard and USB microphone. My mouse seems to work fine without disconnecting.
Issue was the same with all USB 2.0, 3.0 ports I tried EXCEPT when I plugged into the front of the case, both my mic and keyboard work fine when it’s plugged into the front. It's mainly my backside inputs that seem to be causing trouble.
  • Power supply (550W XFX)
  • Motherboard (P8Z77-V LK - ASUS)
  • Keyboard (Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja)

How can it just be my USBs in the back that cut in and out?

RGM79

PC GAF, if any of you can give me an opinion on this issue I'd appreciate it.

My wife currently runs:

I5-750 @ 3.0Ghz (Hyper 212 evo)
4GB @ 1333
5850 GPU
SSD (Boot = Old 60GB Vertex 2ish / Games = 512 GB MX100)

We're looking to upgrade in the next 8-12 months, either to a Skylake platform, or try to cash in on a Haswell fire sale once the next big thing hits. She's currently at 1680x1050, will probably upgrade to 1080p in the next year. New system would be whatever is considered "Enthusiast" on the table a year from now.

My question is: How much more theoretical performance will the all-new system provide over just taking the above system and jacking the O/C to 4Ghz, double RAM to 8GB, and buy a 970/980 GPU?

I'm asking now because if the gap is small, she may elect to do some of the upgrading and overclocking now, rather than wait a year.

What will she be using the computer for? Games? Worried about wanting to play on high/ultra settings?

The i5 750 is pretty dated - I'm running on pretty much the same hardware. Overclocking that processor will help, but it won't give you the performance of a stock i5 4690K, I think. It's hard to find directly comparable benchmarks for gaming performance.

However.. in games I think the difference won't be too great, I don't think the CPU will be that much of a bottleneck. The i5 2500K is still very serviceable and that was the model that superceded the i5 750, both being quad cores and priced comparatively similarly.

Nothing much is known about how great next year's coming processors will be. There's Broadwell K unlocked processors coming for the current 1150 socket, and Skylake which will be locked and appearing on new socket 1151 Z170/H170 motherboards. It's safe to say that they'll be an improvement over the existing Haswell processors, that's all that I can say.

I think it comes down to how much you want to spend and what your budget is. If you're wary of spending any kind of money, try overclocking first - you should be able to get a decent overclock out of that CPU cooler. I managed 4.2 GHz stable on my i5 750 with the exact same cooler as yours.

If want to spend a bit, you can get the RAM and graphics cards upgrades now. Try them out with the current processor overclocked. If that isn't enough, you can get a new motherboard and CPU and then just move the RAM and graphics card over, as it's all compatible.

Hey, just noticed the Area 88 avatar. Nice.

Guys, I seem to have a problem with my USB devices disconnecting and losing power.
Specifically it's my keyboard and USB microphone. My mouse seems to work fine without disconnecting.
Issue was the same with all USB 2.0, 3.0 ports I tried EXCEPT when I plugged into the front of the case, both my mic and keyboard work fine when it’s plugged into the front. It's mainly my backside inputs that seem to be causing trouble.
  • Power supply (550W XFX)
  • Motherboard (P8Z77-V LK - ASUS)
  • Keyboard (Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja)

How can it just be my USBs in the back that cut in and out?

You know I recently had that issue ever since I installed Windows 8.1. If I plugged my keyboard and mouse into the back they would eventually lose power and I thought the first few times that my PC locked. I eventually unplugged them and moved them to the front and they were responsive again. Though after a while I figured out there was a generic USB driver instead of the official driver. Oddly enough that was on an Asus Z77 Pro Extreme,

Also make sure that USB Sleep isn't enabled in the power settings -> Advanced settings. USB selective suspend or something to that affect.

You know I recently had that issue ever since I installed Windows 8.1. If I plugged my keyboard and mouse into the back they would eventually lose power and I thought the first few times that my PC locked. I eventually unplugged them and moved them to the front and they were responsive again. Though after a while I figured out there was a generic USB driver instead of the official driver. Oddly enough that was on an Asus Z77 Pro Extreme,

Also make sure that USB Sleep isn't enabled in the power settings -> Advanced settings. USB selective suspend or something to that affect.

Wow that really is similar. Mine is Windows 8.1 also. By the way, I was just playing some games just now and the keyboard actually disconnected with front ports too.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I already had the USB selective suspend disabled.
What really confuses me are the million USB devices(?) that appear in my devices manager.

RGM79

Wow that really is similar. Mine is Windows 8.1 also. By the way, I was just playing some games just now and the keyboard actually disconnected with front ports too.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I already had the USB selective suspend disabled.
What really confuses me are the million USB devices(?) that appear in my devices manager.

Have you tried changing BIOS settings? There are usually settings in there relating to USB 2.0/3.0 and XHCI/EHCI. Try default settings, maybe.

Bit of a two-part question:

Firstly, is the EVGA 970 FTW card the best bet when it comes to that line? And will I be able to run it with a 650W PSU with a 4570K at stock?

Secondly, would it be a bad choice to get this card now when the 20nm 390x is meant to be coming out next year? It sounds like it could be a big leap platform wise with the 3D memory and smaller die size.

I know it isn't a good idea to wait for the next big thing in most cases, but this seems like quite a leap forward, and I'd hate to get a card now and have the next gen platform reach the market in two months.

Ashhong

So is anybody using an Ultrawide monitor? I just got a 34" for my birthday and I think I am going to exchange it for 2 monitors instead. The size is a bit awkward.

I can't watch a video in full screen on one side, and comfortably browse or do whatever on the other. With 2 monitors I can do that easily. Most important is that I can't play League or any game in full screen on one side while watching a video on the other. I think it's the fact that the screen has so much vertical space. Not sure.

Any recommendations for 2 IPS monitors equaling about 600$? I was thinking of getting a couple Dell Ultrasharps? I've never used a 1440p monitor before...

edit: looks like I still wont. Can't seem to find a 1440p monitor under 27", and those 27" ones cost too much. Should I be looking for 1080p at the 24" range? Not sure if I want to get a 1920x1200..

Have you tried changing BIOS settings? There are usually settings in there relating to USB 2.0/3.0 and XHCI/EHCI. Try default settings, maybe.

I did mess with BIOS before this started happening! maybe this is it. I'll try messing around in there. Thanks.

axb2013

Bit of a two-part question:

Firstly, is the EVGA 970 FTW card the best bet when it comes to that line? And will I be able to run it with a 650W PSU with a 4570K at stock?

Secondly, would it be a bad choice to get this card now when the 20nm 390x is meant to be coming out next year? It sounds like it could be a big leap platform wise with the 3D memory and smaller die size.

I know it isn't a good idea to wait for the next big thing in most cases, but this seems like quite a leap forward, and I'd hate to get a card now and have the next gen platform reach the market in two months.

I have the SC 970 on a 520W PSU, you'll be fine.

About the upgrade strategy... I guess there is no generic answer, each situation could be different. Depends what you have now and your priorities. I upgraded now for my library and because games I cared about ( GTA V, MGS V, Witcher 3) will be out long before AMD launches their next lineup and 970 gives me option to turn on more eye candy settings for games I already play. I'm especially weak when it comes to Witcher 3, there is no way I could wait weeks to play it, let alone months.

If you don't have the clearance in your case ( I don't) than the EVGA is probably the better option, smallest card with standard 2 fan cooling. If you have room for some longer cards, I would consider them first, they seem to yield better OC results and make it easier to meat/beat stock 980 performance.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Well shit.....

I got my parts tonight and built my PC... IT WON'T POWER ON!

:( This fucking sucks. The LED for the power button is coming up. The CPU power is in nice and good...I dunno what the fuck is wrong. I wore a static wristband the whole time and even followed this video of a VERY similar build...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2IIdmiU9I

This is my build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $877.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-05 01:17 EST-0500

I feel like I fucked up really bad but I don't know how. This fucking sucks.

golem

Well shit.....

:( This fucking sucks. The LED for the power button is coming up. The CPU power is in nice and good...I dunno what the fuck is wrong. I wore a static wristband the whole time and even followed this video of a VERY similar build...

This is my build

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Try pulling everything out except the motherboard/cpu/ram and power supply. Then see if it turns on and plug in stuff one by one.

I have the SC 970 on a 520W PSU, you'll be fine.

About the upgrade strategy... I guess there is no generic answer, each situation could be different. Depends what you have now and your priorities. I upgraded now for my library and because games I cared about ( GTA V, MGS V, Witcher 3) will be out long before AMD launches their next lineup and 970 gives me option to turn on more eye candy settings for games I already play. I'm especially weak when it comes to Witcher 3, there is no way I could wait weeks to play it, let alone months.

If you don't have the clearance in your case ( I don't) than the EVGA is probably the better option, smallest card with standard 2 fan cooling. If you have room for some longer cards, I would consider them first, they seem to yield better OC results and make it easier to meat/beat stock 980 performance.
Thanks for the thorough answer, I am kind of in a hurry to upgrade myself, my 6870 just doesn't cut it anymore unfortunately.

I had considered the ASUS Strix model since I love my current ASUS card, but it required an 8-pin and I only have two 6-pins. I could upgrade the PSU of course, but if it came down to that or getting a card for the same price that only requires two 6-pins I will probably go with the latter.

Are you happy with the performance of the card?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Try pulling everything out except the motherboard/cpu/ram and power supply. Then see if it turns on and plug in stuff one by one.

Hrm... I've unhooked everything but the stuff you listed bu tthe heatsink with the same result. Is it safe to take out the cooler master?

Thanks so much for the reply....

RGM79

Well shit.....

This is my build

Gonna need more info than that. Is absolutely nothing happening, or do fans and lights turn on?

axb2013

Thanks for the thorough answer, I am kind of in a hurry to upgrade myself, my 6870 just doesn't cut it anymore unfortunately.

I had considered the ASUS Strix model since I love my current ASUS card, but it required an 8-pin and I only have two 6-pins. I could upgrade the PSU of course, but if it came down to that or getting a card for the same price that only requires two 6-pins I will probably go with the latter.

Are you happy with the performance of the card?
I am, I upgraded from a 7950, playing at 1440p. I overclocked to a stock 980 ~performance level.

You could get 6pin to 8pin adapters, those should be cheap. I don't know the specifics of your PSU but if the 12v rails can handle it, go for it. I have an aging budget build and this case can't handle longer GPU's, otherwise I would have gone with a larger card.

Great news! I got the graphics card installed and it works perfectly. Games run really well too, such as War Thunder.

On a side note, War Thunder is pretty much the only game I've played that is actually playable at 10fps (with the GeForce GT 635) during ground battles. With the GTX 760, War Thunder for me runs at 60fps for me always (I do have v-sync on).

I have a friend that got me into the Intel retail edge promo and scored me a i7 4790k for $99 (about $180 CAD total after charges). This greatly altered my plans of using the G3258 and OC.

I plan on mostly using this PC as a hub to stream media and play older games (Witcher 2, Fallout NV & Skyrim with mods). My PS4 will handle the new releases.

Which GPU is recommended to run those two games (guessing that W2 is the most demanding)? I prefer not to spend over $200 CAD ((~$180 USD). Would a R9 270X suffice for high to ultra settings at 60fps?

I am going to run with 8-16gb ram at 1600mHz as I have a solid BF deal ($140 CAD for 16gb..,.may split half with friend). Based on my demands (and this article http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/10) I don't think the preferred speed of 1866mHz+ for Haswell will make a big difference for me... or would it?.

Ashhong

Would by R9 270 be able to power 2 1920x1200 24" monitors? I don't play too many high quality games, mostly league. But I definitely don't want to lose performance there. IM coming from a 22" 168x1050 screen. Will there be significant fps loss in other games like Crysis?

RGM79

nothing. just the LED on the case lights up w the psu

Not even a LED on the motherboard? Could be a bad PSU or motherboard. Try reseating (removing and putting back in) all major parts and cables. Might be a loose connection somewhere/

I have a friend that got me into the Intel retail edge promo and scored me a i7 4790k for $99 (about $180 CAD total after charges). This greatly altered my plans of using the G3258 and OC.

I plan on mostly using this PC as a hub to stream media and play older games (Witcher 2, Fallout NV & Skyrim with mods). My PS4 will handle the new releases.

Which GPU is recommended to run those two games (guessing that W2 is the most demanding)? I prefer not to spend over $200 CAD ((~$180 USD). Would a R9 270X suffice for high to ultra settings at 60fps?

I am going to run with 8-16gb ram at 1600mHz as I have a solid BF deal ($140 CAD for 16gb..,.may split half with friend). Based on my demands (and this article http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/10) I don't think the preferred speed of 1866mHz+ for Haswell will make a big difference for me... or would it?.

Nice deal. I wanted to get in on that, but decided against upgrading just yet.

From looking at performance videos, it seems that the R9 270X should do around 45-60 frames per second on ultra. Dial back a few settings and you should be good.

Some games take advantage of high RAM speed, not all. You should be fine with DDR3-1600.

Kayant

Hi Gaf,

So am building my first PC and have a general idea of what I want or need, the issue I have atm is choosing a monitor and motherboard.

I have brought a case(Fractal Design arc mini r2), CPU cooler(CM Hyper 212 Evo),SSD(Crucial MX100 256GB) already.

Plan on getting a 970(Leaning towards MSI for cost/performance) atm, 2TB HDD(Seagate SSHD), i5 4670k, 16GB ram and some cheap optical Drive.

Issue I have is choosing a monitor and whether or not to get a mini-itx or matx motherboard because if I don't get mini-itx with onboard wifi am not too sure how I would go about it later if I need/want it.

Open to any suggestion but the monitor should under £160 preferably, no more than £170 and have HDMI and motherboard under £110-115.

Some monitors that have caught my eye

Asus VN248H

Asus PB238Q

Also it terms of PSU wattage would around 550 be around for my build?

Thanks for the help.

jfoul

WAIT! I got something!! I think I hooked up the "power switch" wrong

I was about to mention checking the case power switch connector to the motherboard. Also, some motherboards have power/reset/clear cmos buttons directly on the PCB.

Nice deal. I wanted to get in on that, but decided against upgrading just yet.

From looking at performance videos, it seems that the R9 270X should do around 45-60 frames per second on ultra. Dial back a few settings and you should be good.

Some games take advantage of high RAM speed, not all. You should be fine with DDR3-1600.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I guess the R9 270x would "bottleneck" the 4790k but I don't mind.

If you wait till the summer deal you could score a broadwell!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I was about to mention checking the case power switch connector to the motherboard. Also, some motherboards have power/reset/clear cmos buttons directly on the PCB.

Haha, yeah everything is running fine now. Just installing updates and stuff.

Any Pro Tips on living room gaming PCs?

Yudoken

Finally!
I've bought a Gigabyte G1 970 rev.1.1 and a MX100 512gb,build them in my opc and they work excellently!
I almost had a heart attack because I've thought that the card wouldn't fit on my mainboard because my sata ports are directly under the card.
I was lucky that it fit perfectly in.

My system now is:
1x Samsung TV, 1x LG 22,5 zoll tv/monitor and 1x 17 zoll monitor.
Windows pro 8.1
Pc case :Fractal design xl r2
Mainboard MSI P67AC43 B3
i7 2600k oc 4,2ghz
2x 2gb Samsung and 1x GEIL 4gb DDR3 1333mhz ram
Gigabyte G1 970
MX100 512gb
1 tb Seagate hard drive
Corsair 750w rm
(had to buy it because my Silverstone 500w was unreliable)

Now I have to optimise everything.
Changed some recommended settings but I'm really looking for advise to optimise windows for SSD/Hard drive use.
As an example how exactly should I format my hard drive to use it on my pc?

RGM79

Hi Gaf,

So am building my first PC and have a general idea of what I want or need, the issue I have atm is choosing a monitor and motherboard.

I have brought a case(Fractal Design arc mini r2), CPU cooler(CM Hyper 212 Evo),SSD(Crucial MX100 256GB) already.

Plan on getting a 970(Leaning towards MSI for cost/performance) atm, 2TB HDD(Seagate SSHD), i5 4670k, 16GB ram and some cheap optical Drive.

Issue I have is choosing a monitor and whether or not to get a mini-itx or matx motherboard because if I don't get mini-itx with onboard wifi am not too sure how I would go about it later if I need/want it.

Open to any suggestion but the monitor should under £160 preferably, no more than £170 and have HDMI and motherboard under £110-115.

Some monitors that have caught my eye

Asus VN248H

Asus PB238Q

Also it terms of PSU wattage would around 550 be around for my build?

Thanks for the help.

You could get a wifi adaptor and install it later if you need it. A 500 watt power supply is recommended for the GTX 970, so 550 watts will handle it. I have some recommendations for power supplies:

XFX 550 watts for £45 - non modular
Corsair CX600M 600 watts for £56 - semi modular
EVGA Supernova G2 750 watts for £88 - fully modular, and high capacity in case you want to run a second GTX 970 in the future

For mATX motherboards, I recommend:

ASRock Z97M Pro4 for £76 - budget choice, solid price to performance ratio.
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 for £110 - upper limit of your motherboard budget, but has lots of features like SATA Express and M2 support, and twin BIOS chips.

Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about monitors. Are you buying that 4670K used?

Thanks! Much appreciated. I guess the R9 270x would "bottleneck" the 4790k but I don't mind.

If you wait till the summer deal you could score a broadwell!

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking Broadwell or Skylake. It's tempting, though. I saw a deal for a "used" $550 CAD 4790K system on craigslist, no longer needed for a project someone was doing..

Haha, yeah everything is running fine now. Just installing updates and stuff.

Any Pro Tips on living room gaming PCs?

What sort of information are you looking for? Another PC, or are you going to be using the one you just built?

Finally!
I've bought a Gigabyte G1 rev.1.1 and a MX100 512gb which work fine.
I almost had a hard attack because I've thought that the card wouldn't fiton my mmainboard because my sata ports are directly under the card.
I was lucky that it fit perfectly in.

My system now is:
1x Samsung TV, 1x LG 22,5 zoll tv/monitor and 1x 17 zoll monitor.
Windows pro 8.1
Mainboard MSI P67AC43 B3
i7 2600k oc 4,2ghz
2x 2gb Samsung and 1x GEIL 4gb DDR3 1333mhz ram
Gigabyte G1 970
MX100 512gb
1 tb Seagate hard drive
Corsair 750w rm
(had to buy it because my Silverstone 500w was unreliable)

Changed some recommended settings but I'm really looking for advise to optimise windows for SSD/Hard drive use.

When you install Windows, it will do the drive formatting for you. SSD does not require a special format or filesystem. Windows is usually smart enough to enable features like TRIM and disable defragging. One thing you should do before you install Windows, is to set the SATA controller mode to AHCI in UEFI menu or BIOS settings. That's something that Windows can't do while installing.

Here's some tips for managing SSD and hard drive space.

ISee

Do not forget to activate the AHCI-Mode (Advanced Host Controller Interface) in your uefi/bios for your ssd before installing win7/8. Turn off defregmentation in windows 7 for your ssd. Win8 should auto disable it. Format in ntfs. That's all.

Edit: ah and please do not forget to connect your ssd with the sata6 connectors on your mb.

Yudoken

Do not forget to activate the AHCI-Mode (Advanced Host Controller Interface) in your uefi/bios for your ssd before installing win7/8. Turn off defregmentation in windows 7 for your ssd. Win8 should auto disable it. Format in ntfs. That's all.

Edit: ah and please do not forget to connect your ssd with the sata6 connectors on your mb.

Well, I plugged my SSD and the hard drive on the sata port directly under my graphics card (I have two sata 6 ports and both are marked) and I unplugged ny hard drive, installed Windows 8.1 on the ssd and after installation of various drivers I plugged my hard drive again.
I'm not talking about formatting the ssd (which i should've mention in that post), I'm talking about my hard drive.

Edit: after plugging my ssd, i changed the settings to ahci mode (hot plug disabled) in the bios before i installed windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom