• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleazyC

Am really itching to get a smaller case. Any recommendations? Fractal Design Node 804 is the main runner atm but my Noctua DH-U14s is 5mm too big :( (Should I chance it?). Corsair Air 240 also would support it and the build quality doesn't help.

Preferably something in a cube factor. Budget under £90.

Edit -

Forgot improtant stuff

Currently have a factual design mini r2
Marx motherboard.

Corsair 250D?

Okay, so I'm starting to get down to the wire here and it seems that the i7-6700k keeps getting pushed out.

Would I be OK to go for the i7-5820k and a nice X99 mobo? Is it going to hurt me in the future at all? I am using a Samsung 951 M.2, and I hear boot compatibility is spotty at best. Will this be a huge issue or has it mostly been resolved via firmware updates?
I think either will work well and be good for several years to come. The 5820k has the added cores pulling for it that could come into play in future games and will also work very well for any multi-thread apps that you could end up using.

Mystic654

Woot! Parts are starting to come in. SSD should be here tomorrow, and mobo on Friday. Pretty excited. It's been a while since I built from scratch. :)

755WwS0.jpg

Good choice on the case. I just ordered primo version for my water cooling build.

Quotient

I noticed there is only one mini-ITX Z170 motherboard on newegg and it is $200. Any idea when more vendors will begin releasing Z170 mini-ITX motherboards - preferable around the $100 mark?

Crub

So I have this super weird issue I can't wrap my head around: Whenever I play any slightly CPU-intensive game it stutters a lot and has poor framerate... until I disable specifically the first CPU core. in the task manager. and it starts to run as it's supposed to.

My natural assumption was that my CPU was damaged. Then I got a new CPU and the same exact issue remains! Is my motherboard busted? How do I even go about troubleshooting this? Halp!

SleazyC

So I have this super weird issue I can't wrap my head around: Whenever I play any slightly CPU-intensive game it stutters a lot and has poor framerate... until I disable specifically the first CPU core. in the task manager. and it starts to run as it's supposed to.

My natural assumption was that my CPU was damaged. Then I got a new CPU and the same exact issue remains! Is my motherboard busted? How do I even go about troubleshooting this? Halp!
Sounds like it could be temperature related.

Check your temperatures when you are running something intensive and see if they are high. Most modern CPUs will throttle back to prevent damage. If it is heat check the seating on your heatsink and/or re-apply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

Crub

Sounds like it could be temperature related.

Check your temperatures when you are running something intensive and see if they are high. Most modern CPUs will throttle back to prevent damage. If it is heat check the seating on your heatsink and/or re-apply thermal paste and reseat the heatsink.

CPU temperature doesn't seem to ever go past 55C and it's only solveable by disabling the first core (CPU 0 in Processor Affinity), making unlikely being a heat issue. Disabling any of the other of core and the bad performance remains.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've probably posted way too many times in these threads at this point, apologies, but almost there with all the parts for my new build (been picking them up each month as I could afford it), and in the home stretch.

Looking for advice on RAM and case here in the UK. Picking up the 980 down the line when it aint gonna bankrupt me/hoping for some slight price dips/deals. This will be my first build ever so I'm a total noob at this and thus not looking for crazytown complications (I'm already gonna be trying to slot in my current student-version-bought Windows 7 HDD, sysprep'd, and hope I can upgrade to 10 no fuss):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £0.00)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For £0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (£389.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £478.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 00:20 BST+0100

Should I get better RAM (around same price)? Is there a better case option for around same price? Or is this as good as it gets and I should jab the buy button?

khaaan

Weird question.

-I originally had Windows 8.1, legit.
-I upgraded to Windows 10, game/graphics performance went down the poop chute but I kept it for a few days to try and fix.
-Wasn't working so I went back to 8.1.
-I had made some changes while I was in 10, which broke the applications when I went back to 8.1. Couldn't even uninstall applications.
-Decided "screw it, clean install"
-Thought I downloaded installer for 8.1, downloaded installer for 10.
-Decided to run with it
-Tried to install 10 but I only had my key for 8.1
-Tried to abort installation but now my computer wouldn't boot at all
-Decided to fresh install Windows 10, skipped entry of product key

When I go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation, it's showing me Windows 10 as activated.

Did everything work out for me in the end? Should I be worried?

Edit: I should probs ask over in tech support gaf >_>

I've probably posted way too many times in these threads at this point, apologies, but almost there with all the parts for my new build (been picking them up each month as I could afford it), and in the home stretch.

Looking for advice on RAM and case here in the UK. Picking up the 980 down the line when it aint gonna bankrupt me/hoping for some slight price dips/deals. This will be my first build ever so I'm a total noob at this and thus not looking for crazytown complications (I'm already gonna be trying to slot in my current student-version-bought Windows 7 HDD, sysprep'd, and hope I can upgrade to 10 no fuss):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For £0.00)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For £0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (£389.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £478.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-13 00:20 BST+0100

Should I get better RAM (around same price)? Is there a better case option for around same price? Or is this as good as it gets and I should jab the buy button?
980 is a poor value new, either go for the 980 Ti or 970.

knitoe

Weird question.

-I upgraded to Windows 10, game/graphics performance went down the poop chute but I kept it for a few days to try and fix.
-I had made some changes while I was in 10, which broke the applications when I went back to 8.1. Couldn't even uninstall applications.
-Decided to run with it

When I go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation, it's showing me Windows 10 as activated.

When you upgraded from 8 > 10, the key is converted and linked to your account. You don't need to re-enter keys anymore when installing 10.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
980 is a poor value new, either go for the 980 Ti or 970.

980 is absolute top of my price-bracket (if not a little beyond really), so Ti is just out of my paygrade unless theres a mythical sub £400 of those. Rig is intended for the launch of VR, so feel a 980 is gonna serve good in that respect while the 970's "issues" may prove to annoy me more there.

Really wish I had got the 2500K when I built my PC. It would have cost me probably $80 more at the time over my 2400 and non-overclocking board.

LilJoka

Weird question.

-Decided to run with it

Correct, that is the expected result since the initial upgrade causes your unique hardware ID to be associated with a valid 10 license. No key is then needed to clean install 10 in the future, any key prompts can be skipped, after connecting to the net, it'll check the hardware ID and realise it's already activated, thus the result you have seen.

khaaan

When you upgraded from 8 > 10, the key is converted and linked to your account. You don't need to re-enter keys anymore when installing 10.

Correct, that is the expected result since the initial upgrade causes your unique hardware ID to be associated with a valid 10 license. No key is then needed to clean install 10 in the future, any key prompts can be skipped, after connecting to the net, it'll check the hardware ID and realise it's already activated, thus the result you have seen.

You guys da best <3

Flandy

How big of a gulf is there between the i3 4160 2C/4T @ 3.6 and the i5 4460 4C/4T @ 3.2 listed in the OP?
Trying to put a nongaming build together for my Dad and would like to know if its worth ponying up the extra cash for the i5. He'd just use it for web browsing, youtube, and minor video editing

SRG01

How big of a gulf is there between the i3 4160 2C/4T @ 3.6 and the i5 4460 4C/4T @ 3.2 listed in the OP?
Trying to put a nongaming build together for my Dad and would like to know if its worth ponying up the extra cash for the i5. He'd just use it for web browsing, youtube, and minor video editing

If he's doing minor video editing, get the i5.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Man Microcenter has some great CPU deals.

$280 for 4790K
$300 for 5820K

Still sticking with my Skylake build though. Going to press the order button on everything but my MB and CPU any second now. Didn't realize Newegg doesn't have Tax in NY. Saved me nearly 40 bucks compared to Amazon. So while I won't get 2 day shipping it doesn't matter since I probably won't have my CPU and MB till the end of the month at the earliest so I wait the 4-7 days it'll take Newegg to send me my stuff.

Very minor and infrequently. Maybe he'd be better off getting the i5 just so it lasts him longer though

I was picking between and i3 and i5 for my gf's (now fiancee) build last winter. She doesn't use her computer for much but in the end I decided to go for the i5 for whatever it was more ($50?) because it will last her a long long time.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, I did it, I pulled the trigger.

Everything should be here by Monday - I am stoked. Last build my i7-2600k, which I will be handing down to my fiancee.

Seems like forever since I've had to upgrade, I'm glad work forced my hand here. I've been itching to do it for a while now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well, I did it, I pulled the trigger.

Everything should be here by Monday - I am stoked. Last build my i7-2600k, which I will be handing down to my fiancee.

Seems like forever since I've had to upgrade, I'm glad work forced my hand here. I've been itching to do it for a while now.

Don't know if you have a Microcenter near by you but they're selling the 5820K for only $299 in store pickup. Also shouldn't you be using 4x4gb RAM as that's a quad channel for peak performance, not that I know the performance differences are too different, but prices aren't that different between the kits. Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong.

Izayoi

Banned
Don't know if you have a Microcenter near by you but they're selling the 5820K for only $299 in store pickup. Also shouldn't you be using 4x4gb RAM as that's a quad channel for peak performance, not that I think the performance differences are too different, but prices aren't that different between the kits. Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong.
No Microcenter in my state. ;_;

I plan on adding another 2x8GB kit at a later time.

These GTX 980 Ti cards are massive. I have a HAF 922 Mid Tower but don't see anything under specs for maximum card size. Will this case give me any problems with an ASUS Strix or Zotac Omega if I decided to go with one of those? The strix is 12.01" long. Thanks.

Izayoi

Banned
The EVGA 980 TI runs a bit hotter than I thought it would. It's quiet so i think I'll deal with it.
Speaking of this, I went with the EVGA GTX 980 Ti as well... I was going to get the Gigabyte one, but Amazon wasn't going to stock it until the 18th...

Would it be worth swapping the EVGA for a Gigabyte when it's in stock or should I be alright?

Currently rocking a GTX 580, which is getting pretty long in the tooth, so it's going to be a huge upgrade either way for me.

Izayoi

Banned
hi guys. the parts for my new PC are starting to come in. but i am having some doubts about my memory choice.

Is this memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104532&_ga=1.87914458.359473900.1427558378

compatible with this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132568&_ga=1.87914458.359473900.1427558378
It is, but you'd be better off going with 3000 kit over the 2133 as Skylake apparently benefits greatly from high speed memory.

EDIT: Since you're already splurging on the Z170-Deluxe, something like this would probably suit your build better.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
It is, but you'd be better off going with 3000 kit over the 2133 as Skylake apparently benefits greatly from high speed memory.

this is just a place holder for now. i am planing to make a low end streaming/game pc down the road. i don't need it to work forever. just for a bit.

but yea i didn't know that. ill remember that, thanks aton.

Izayoi

Banned
this is just a place holder for now. i am planing to make a low end streaming/game pc down the road. i don't need it to work forever. just for a bit.

but yea i didn't know that. ill remember that, thanks aton.
If it is short-term and low-end, why Skylake? You definitely don't need that nice motherboard especially.

there's so many different speeds for ram, which one should i go for? 1600, 1866, 2133, 2400 :<
DDR3 or DDR4?

baphomet

980 is absolute top of my price-bracket (if not a little beyond really), so Ti is just out of my paygrade unless theres a mythical sub £400 of those. Rig is intended for the launch of VR, so feel a 980 is gonna serve good in that respect while the 970's "issues" may prove to annoy me more there.

No reason to get a 970 instead of a 980 if you can afford it.

Evo X

SSD came a day early! It even has my name on it. lol

Now the painful wait until Friday for the motherboard. Damn it, should have paid extra for faster shipping. Only reason I didn't is because the case was supposed to get here next Monday, but somehow made it's way to me 5 days early.

Oh well, gives me time to back up this PC I suppose.

vpgvT3R.jpg

Congrats on the new build, but what were you running before if you don't mind my asking? I know you're a fellow Titan X owner, so I just assumed you were on X79/99. :p

2500k paired with an ASUS Z68 Pro motherboard for over 4 years!

Amazing CPU, and I think I will actually miss the old girl. Ran at a strong 4.7Ghz from day one without any issues. Even had it stable at 5.2Ghz for some benchmarks on air cooling! Truly a golden chip.

Good choice on the case. I just ordered primo version for my water cooling build.

Yeah, I did some obsessive research before I decided to go with the Luxe. Great balance of looks, functionality, and quality. The Primo was too big for my needs since I'm not running a custom loop and only have one GPU and SSD. Didn't want the case looking super empty.

hi guys. the parts for my new PC are starting to come in. but i am having some doubts about my memory choice.

Is this memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104532&_ga=1.87914458.359473900.1427558378

compatible with this motherboard?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132568&_ga=1.87914458.359473900.1427558378

It should work, but I wouldn't recommend buying 2133Mhz memory.

Skylake benefits hugely from faster ram. See if you can get a G.Skill 3,000mhz kit.

EVGA 980 Ti Super-Clocked+ ACX 2.0+ OR MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G?

Which one is generally considered better and why?

They are both excellentt, but I would give the slight edge to MSI. It's the quietest 980Ti out there, while also providing great cooling with the TwinFrozer setup. I had an MSI 980 last year, and it was rock solid. Then again, I now have an EVGA Titan X, and it's also awesome.

Basically, just choose whichever color scheme you think looks better. You can't go wrong either way.

kuYuri

They are both excellentt, but I would give the slight edge to MSI. It's the quietest 980Ti out there, while also providing great cooling with the TwinFrozer setup. I had an MSI 980 last year, and it was rock solid. Then again, I now have an EVGA Titan X, and it's also awesome.

Basically, just choose whichever color scheme you think looks better. You can't go wrong either way.

Thanks! I have an MSI motherboard, so maybe I'll go with that to match it, heh. I've been leaning towards that version.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
First post on this topic slash thread and on the first page. Nice!

I got my 3 dell U2414h from amazon warehouse deals and they look great!

Couple questions. Building my very first gaming pc.

Any idea when the I7 6700 are going to be available from amazon? And could anyone recommend a good mobo to go with it. I was looking at MSI Z170 KRAIT GAMING ATX DDR4 3000 (o.c.) NA Motherboards Z170 KRAIT GAMING
but to be honest what attracted me more was the bulk/wht theme I'm going for? Any good? Recommendations? Memory as well.

I have a 980ti G1 on the way and about $550 in credit to burn on amazon. As I already said I have the 3 ultrasharps and a NTXZ 530 blk.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Anyone?

Evo X

Thanks! I have an MSI motherboard, so maybe I'll go with that to match it, heh. I've been leaning towards that version.

No problem. It will look really good, and you will be very happy with that card. No comprosies max settings feels great. :D

Amazon should be getting the 6700k near the end of the month. MSI Krait is a good motherboard if you like the looks.

However, if I was go Skylake, I would personally choose this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132565

and pair it with this memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231878

That should provide you with a great feature set, along with best in class overclockablity, without extra unnecessary additions that more expensive motherboards have like built in wifi, dual NIC, etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

I'm probably going to go with the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming for $169. I can't justify the price increase for the Maximus when their feature sets are nearly the same and I'm not that big an enthusiast.

Going to wait for more reviews though. I did pick up the g.skill ripjaw V series 2x8gb 3200mhz ram though. The 3000mhz seem to be in shorter supply and the price difference was only 5 bucks.

Evo X

I keep on seeing people say Skylake performances are much better with faster ram, but is it. I am beginning to see test prove otherwise.

It depends on the game. Bioshock and Tomb Raider are terrible examples because they don't seem to scale much with CPU speed either. I saw a benchmark of Tomb Raider running the exact same on a 2.4Ghz quad core as 4.5Ghz octo core.

For example, Watch Dogs gets a 17% boost with faster ram:

SkylakeDDR4_Watch_dogs.jpg

Evo X

When can we expect Skylake-E?

I'm currently on X58 still and the urge to upgrade to X99 is killing me.

Skylake-E was originally scheduled to launch Q3 2016, but new reports say it is being pushed to Q1 2017 to allow some time for Broadwell-E.

knitoe

It depends on the game. Bioshock and Tomb Raider are terrible examples because they don't seem to scale much with CPU speed either. I saw a benchmark of Tomb Raider running the exact same on a 2.4Ghz quad core as 4.5Ghz octo core.

For example, Watch Dogs gets a 17% boost with faster ram:

SkylakeDDR4_Watch_dogs.jpg
I am beginning to think that's incorrect. That person only tested one game. And, it's been repost countless times as proof. Here's another one with Metro and GTAV showing hardly any differences.

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...nding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340/5
metro-ll1.jpg

gtav.jpg

RGM79

There's a lack of Z170 motherboard reviews at the moment, so it's hard to say exactly which motherboards are good. I've been mentioning this so much that it feels like shilling, but the Asus Z170-A is one of the few ones that has all positive reviews from different places (source:[1][2][3]), so it seems to be decent. Time will tell if any other Z170 motherboards are consistently good, better, or worse.

As far as DDR4 memory goes, I'd try to avoid 2133/2400MHz. Look for higher speeds, but you don't have to go overboard and get really high speeds if it costs a lot. Here's a link to some memory tests. More tests were posted on the last few pages of the previous "I need a custom PC" thread, but I'm a bit too busy to sift through the last 5~10 pages of the thread at the moment.

Fake edit: seems like people are also posting them in this thread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom