• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I played ARMS back in 1996 but it was on PS1 and it was a game called Robo Pit

Inspiration implies anyone on the dev team even had the faintest idea this game existed, and thought "hey, that's a good idea!"

Or, someone picked up two joy cons as was like "Hey, let me punch you", a far more liekly scenario.

Fritz

Same with switch itself really. It's nothing new but the first time with mass appeal due to insane refinement

psyfi

Banned
lmao that game shares some similarities, yeah, but it also has a whoooole lot of differences. The comparison is thin at best.

Alpha_eX

The control scheme isn't just innovative, it's a HUGE part of the design and tactical system in the game. Come one man.

In no game mentioned can you curve a punch around or counter, nor can you throw a shield out and curve a punch over or to the side of it. That's another game in itself.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sure, it didn't look as nice or have an intuitive motion control scheme but the similarities are striking.

video evidence

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for ARMS and I think it's going to be a huge hit but it's interesting to trace back its inspiration.

I played a lot of robo pit on the saturn. It was mediocre but interesting.

You blew any chance of an interesting discussion with this stupid thread title. What is so hard about saying something like the game design of arms reminds me a little of this old game?

FloatOn

Same with switch itself really. It's nothing new but the first time with mass appeal due to insane refinement

that's true too

razeredge_primary-100030974-orig.jpg

I see we're at that stage of new Nintendo IP where we drudge up obscure-ass games from 400 years ago to get the 'lack of innovation' narrative rolling.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Outside of the camera angle and the fact that you can have a different weapon on each Arm, I'm really not seeing the similarities. This game appears to have more in common with Tank and Mech battlers than arena fighters. Looks like an arcadey version of Mechwarrior.

Oh, outside of those 2 things, eh? So, name a bunch of other games that share those traits?

Come on guys. It's similar on more than one level. And who cares if it is. It doesn't mean you'll enjoy the game less.

ASIS

You honestly don't see the similarities at all? How is that possible?

/reviews post history

Ah, I got it. Let me try again.

Nintendo invented this entire concept and genre. No other game like it before. OP is crazy!!!! What an idiot.

You can review my post history but I already said that ARMS does in fact take a few keys off older games.

FloatOn

Oh, outside of those 2 things, eh? So, name a bunch of other games that share those traits?

Come on guys. It's similar on more than one level. And who cares if it is. It doesn't mean you'll enjoy the game less.

exactly ARMS is going to be great!

low-G

Only reason the last Virtual On was called VO Marz is because if you rearrange the letters in MARS you get...

It would have diviluged Sega's 21 year plan.

Plum

Even if the games looked as similar as the OP implies, what reason is there to point it out? Apply the same title to other recent games and it would sound ridiculous:

"I played Horizon back in 2016 and it was a game called Far Cry: Primal"
"I played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild back in 1986 and it was a game called The Legend of Zelda"
"I played The Surge back in 2016 and it was a game called Dark Souls 3"
"I played Knack back in 0 and it was a historical event known as the birth of our lord and saviour."

I just don't understand.

phanphare

Banned
I see we're at that stage of new Nintendo IP where we drudge up obscure-ass games from 400 years ago to get the 'lack of innovation' narrative rolling.

I remember when people kept trying to downplay Splatoon's gameplay mechanics as well. it was supremely embarrassing to witness.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Kind of a bait thread title OP.

I actually think this thread would have went differently with a title like..'ARMS kinda reminds of this old ass game Robo Pit, thoughts?'

I don't think a similar camera perspective or customization options are really indicative of a game being so similar that you can say they're the same when the core gameplay loop is so divergent.

That's like saying: I played Minecraft in 1997 but it was on N64 and it was a game called Goldeneye. Because both games use a first person perspective and let you switch your equipped item on the fly.

commish

Even if the games looked as similar as the OP implies, what reason is there to point it out? Apply the same title to other recent games and it would sound ridiculous:

"I played Horizon back in 2016 and it was a game called Far Cry: Primal"
"I played The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild back in 1986 and it was a game called The Legend of Zelda"
"I played The Surge back in 2016 and it was a game called Dark Souls 3"
"I played Knack back in 0 and it was a historical event known as the birth of our lord and saviour."

I just don't understand.

If someone made a thread and said "I played Horizon back in 2016", Horizon fans would say "cool". This thread, though, is full of folks who actually seem ... offended... that someone suggested that a new game resembles an older game in some way.

And that's amazing.

I don't think a similar camera perspective or customization options are really indicative of a game being so similar that you can say they're the same when the core gameplay loop is so divergent.

That's like saying: I played Minecraft in 1997 but it was on N64 and it was a game called Goldeneye. Because both games use a first person perspective and let you switch your equipped item on the fly.

He's not literally saying they are exactly the same, you know. Not sure if your post was serious or not.

If someone made a thread and said "I played Horizon back in 2016", Horizon fans would say "cool". This thread, though, is full of folks who actually seem ... offended... that someone suggested that a new game resembles an older game in some way.

And that's amazing.

Nah. Plenty of folks in this thread agreeing that Arms seems to be closely inspired by other games like Virtual On. They just don't agree that it looks like this particular game.

Plum

And that's amazing.

14c.jpg

I mean, lets not start basing our arguments on literal imaginary responses now.

Cyborg

OP don't post negative stuff about Nintendo. It's not allowed to have criticism on the golden child

Vinnk

Nintendo invented this entire concept and genre. No other game like it before. OP is crazy!!!! What an idiot.

Not a single person is saying anything like that at all.

Many people can see that it could have gotten inspiration from Virtual-on or the like. But to think that Nintendo is cribbing from a poorly received Saturn/PS1 game is really pushing believability.

I liked Robo Pit. I used to play it in college but it's not the first game to have customizable weapons or that view. The game also has similarities to From Softwares "Frame Gride" but I would never claim that either game was even known by the ARMS development team.

That's like saying "I played Skyrim back in 1995 but it was on Saturn and it was a game called Virtual Hydlide"

RM8

Nah. Plenty of folks in this thread agreeing that Arms seems to be closely inspired by other games like Virtual On. They just don't agree that it looks like this particular game.
Like, for real. People have been comparing it to Virtual On for ages, but OP just needs this "gotcha!" moment for his idea that ARMS is based on a game that came after Virtual On, and that has less similarities to ARMS than Virtual On.

Alpha_eX

OP don't post negative stuff about Nintendo. It's not allowed to have criticism on the golden child

I'm sure there is an indie VR game that has done something closer than ARMS, this game is nothing more than two people in an arena / third-person camera, which TONS of games have done.

To me ARMS is all about, as the name suggests, the arms they use and the unique control and tactical design behind it.

totowhoa

Banned
I've totally been thinking of Robo Pit since it was announced. That game was great fun at the time! I definitely see the Virtual On inspiration as well.

I played the shit out of Robo Pit on Saturn back in the day and they're not similar at all.

And that's amazing.

I'm guessing you've never tried to criticize Horizon on GAF. I go to bat for Horizon and even I know that's a dangerous proposition.

Yes, Nintendo never gets criticized for anything on here. Star Fox Zero, Metroid Prime Federation Force, Hey! Pikmin, NES Classic shortage/discontinuation...

All received universal praise from us fanboys.

commish

Not a single person is saying anything like that at all.

Many people can see that it could have gotten inspiration from Virtual-on or the like. But to think that Nintendo is cribbing from a poorly received Saturn/PS1 game is really pushing believability.

I liked Robo Pit. I used to play it in college but it's not the first game to have customizable weapons or that view. The game also has similarities to From Softwares "Frame Gride" but I would never claim that either game was even known by the ARMS development team.

That's like saying "I played Skyrim back in 1995 but it was on Saturn and it was a game called Virtual Hydlide"

Okay, but there aren't a lot of games like this, viewpoint and customizable weapons. Can we agree to that? If you disagree, then just name me 10.

You might want to look up the word criticism in the dictionary. 😂

Also, Nintendo gets attacked more than any other company. The golden child is Sony. They're the greatest of all companies.

Top Bottom