• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I start work on Monday. What do you do for Breakfast & Lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For breakfast I have a cereal/protein/meal bar with either some yogurt or a glass of milk if I can.

For lunch I have a medium sized lunch bag where instead of packing ONE meal for that day, I pack the ingredients I need to make myself a simple, but filling lunch

-30 pack of King Size corn tortillas
-Resealable bag of sliced meat (I like hickory smoked turkey)
-Small resealable bag of sliced cheese (I like the Sargento Pepper Jack because they add Habaneros that give it a bit more of a kick than other brands' Pepper Jack)
-Avocados (include a butter knife to slice them)
-Small bottle/can of your preferred drink (I usually have Sweet Leaf tea, but I'm on medication right now for a minor ulcer so I stick with a separate canteen of water)
-Small snack of your choice

Then I just make a simple wrap with the tortilla, meat, half an avocado (use butter knife to slice, smash and spread the avocado half across), and a slice of cheese. Put it in the microwave for no more than a minute, fold and enjoy!

Now I know what you're thinking "You just sound like some pretentious health nut who probably eats, like, HALF of what normal Average Joes eat" A year ago, I'd think the same thing (especially for breakfast I NEVER thought I could get through a day with a small little cereal bar, seemed like more of a snack than a full breakfast, working out has helped shrink my appetite), but it's surprisingly filling (I've had other coworkers try it and they've agreed it's "just right" in filling them up) and by packing the ingredients you can make it however you want! Add more meat! Make two if you're that hungry!

RedRum

Banned
I eat the same thing everyday. Period.

Two slices of ham, one slice of pepperoni, two pieces of asiago cheese, with nutrigrain bar and an apple juice. Breakfast.

Canned chicken with a small package of white rice and a 90 calorie chocolate bar for Lunch. With white grape juice.

High school teacher here - protein shake and coffee in the morning, then I just snack throughout the day and eat a big dinner. Apples, pistachios, that sort of thing. Lots of water.

spuckthew

I eat breakfast (cereal or porridge or similar) before I leave, I have an apple for a mid-late morning snack to take the edge off, and then I have a sandwich for lunch that I prepared the evening before. Ingredients vary, but I tend to use lowish calorie bread loafs or small sliced loafs so as to not feel bloated.

Do you pass an Hotel on the way to work?

eyjz1CD.gif

TopDreg

Slow cookers are a godsend to anybody that works outside in the winter. Pop that shit on in the morning, come home to a warm, hearty and delicious meal PLUS your whole house smells amazing. Slow cookers are the shit.

Any recipes on easy meals to recommend here? Would be appreciated!

Symphonia

Banned
I usually grab a slice of toast on my way out the house to eat on the daily commute, then pick up a meal deal from a nearby store. It's not healthy, but it is convenient.

Work in IT. 8-430. For breakfast, I have these
350-1014809__1.jpg

For lunch, I have a sandwich on whole wheat with a piece of fruit.

I just weighed in at 180 after weighing close to 250 in January. My goal is to get down to 170.

Joni

I bring two slices of bread and a banana for breakfast, three sandwiches for lunch. Easy to prepare in the morning, healthy enough.

Rich!

I rarely eat breakfast. Depends how I feel really and what I had the night before.

I wake up at 6am, have a shower, get dressed, and walk to work (40 mins to an hour depending on which route I take). I work until I want to take my hour break, usually at 13:00 and find somewhere in town to have a sandwich (if not a decent cafe, a pack of marks and Spencer sandwiches or something). On a Friday at lunchtime I usually have a meal at a pub in town with workmates with a decent pint of ale or local cider

I then finish between 16-17:00 depending on how I'm feeling and what my hours worked have been up to that point, then walk back home and have dinner.

I don't know why I wrote all that. Either way that's my working day, Monday to Friday.

Foxix Von

I eat the random assortment of fruits, veggies, and trail mixes that are complimentary for us for breakfast, then take lunch and eat from the $3 employee menu/buffet. Usually a salad or something. And... That's kinda it for my day. I switch to evenings next weekend so I guess I'll have to get used to skipping breakfast?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

The company I work for provides fruit for employees, so I have an apple every morning when I get in.

Otherwise I bring a nice sandwich on a kaiser for lunch, it's a cheap enough and consistently delicious lunch. Snacking throughout otherwise, it's just an office job.

For me it depended on the job. For my first few jobs, I'd eat a cooked meal about an hour or so before the shift started. During lunch/break, I'd buy food to eat.

For the next job, I ate a B I G meal before the shift and then just didn't eat again until I was out of work.

For the current job, again I'll have a cooked meal before the shift. For lunch/break, I pack leftovers and reheat n' eat. If I'm in the mood for something different, there's essentially a mini convenience store in the break room so I'll pick from whatever they have in stock.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
Breakfast: I usually have a couple of hard-boiled eggs + 1-2 pieces of fruit (mandarin oranges, peaches, plums, bananas, etc.) I boil a batch of eggs over the weekend.

Leftovers from dinner heated in the microwave are also fine, if you have them.

Lunch: can't help much with this, as I usually grab a sandwich from the work vending machines. Maybe soup, if you like soup? You could get one of those covered/vented microwave tupperware soup mugs, dump in a can of progresso, nuke for 2.5 minutes. Only catch is that you have to either wait till it cools enough to eat, or have ice cubes handy.

I sort of skip both. Sometimes have a banana and granola bar in the morning and a couple of times a week there are lunch leftovers from meetings at the office. Either way I use my actual lunch break to go to the gym. First big meal is dinner and I love cooking so it's always a feast. Then I have a snack later.

Seems whack but works great for me. Saves money too.

Tripon

I sort of skip both. Sometimes have a banana and granola bar in the morning and a couple of times a week there are lunch leftovers from meetings at the office. Either way I use my actual lunch break to go to the gym. First big meal is dinner and I love cooking so it's always a feast. Then I have a snack later.

Seems whack but works great for me. Saves money too.
How do you deal with the hunger pangs? I tried this for a while but I had to get something after work. Because as soon work was over I had to get takeout to eat, and then didn't feel like making a big dinner to cook, so I didn't.

Pour some of Quaker Oats into a cup, pour hot water over it and a big scoop of natural peanut butter to mix in. My go-to breakfast in the morning.

For lunch, I'll either have leftovers from the night before or I go out to eat at Sam's Club across the street to get a Polish hot dog for $1.30 or a slice of pizza for $1.50. Sam's isn't always the option, as there are other places I go to, but when I'm feeling cheap and not that hungry I go to Sam's.

Biske

Cereal for breakfast

For lunch I usually buy a huge bag of frozen chicken on the cheap, bake it in the oven the night before and have that and some veggies (carrots, celery etc etc)

velociraptor

I skip breakfast, though I'll quickly grab some green tea before I head out.

I eat a protein pancake for lunch which I make the night before.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Cereal for breakfast and I drink a cup of coffee.

Then I take my son with me to drop him off at school and I bring coffee to go. Then I usually just eat a granola bar at lunch.

Then I'll eat whatever the waifu has planned for dinner unless she's bailed on that idea and texts me at like 4-4:30 and says fuck cooking. Then I'll pick up food for us on the way.

Luschient

Breakfast: two chocolate chip granola bars, 5 Hour Energy
Lunch: sandwich (either turkey or pb&j) and chips or a Lunchable if I'm really feeling lazy and don't mind crap food

Eggs for breakfast (I make them in muffin tins with jalapeños and bacon bits inside for portability), protein shake for lunch 3x a week, food from the Cafe downstairs on the other two days. Started as a money saving effort, translated into weight loss.
Get some fiber or protein bars to put in your desk/office/cube for those days where you forget or don't have time for either meal.

SeanR1221

Breakfast I usually have eggs, egg whites and toast/oatmeal.

Lunch I usually have fish/chicken, jasmine rice and steamed vegetables.

Simple. Filling. Nutritious. Cost effective.

You're welcome

Mathieran

Banned
Normally eat breakfast at home or something easy to work like oatmeal or trail mix. Lunch is usually left overs, or a sandwich w/ fruit if I don't have leftovers. If I'm in a rush I might grab canned soup or something from the freezer.

Less than once a month I get fast food, but I try to save that only if I forget to bring something.

Jisgsaw

I don't eat breakfast, and I follow my colleagues wherever they go for lunch (we don't have a cantine, we usually end up in some external cantines that have some decent varied choices, though expensive)

I have Raisin Bran for breakfast
Chicken Mayo & Sweet corn sandwich and Water melon chunks for lunch.

Every day, although I eat it in reverse because I work nights.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
For breakfast cereal. Tend to go through phases as to what cereal that is.
Lunch is a real problem for me. I get some variety of fast food every day. Which is both expensive and not exactly healthy. When I first started working it was sandwiches most days and then slowly morphed into my current situation..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oatmeal with frozen berries. Takes like 3 minutes to make and fills me up until lunch.

I've been eating nutella sandwich for breakfast for 2 years. Best breakfast.

Lunch is bagel+egg, leftovers, deli or from nearby fast food joints.

For breakfast, I eat leftovers pretty exclusively, 99% I cooked it for dinner. If I have enough time I'll fry anot egg and serve it over. I'll eat it with a banana and a glass of oj followed by a glass of water.

For lunch I take a sandwich with protein bread, turkey, and cheese. I eat a banana and drink water all day. Dinner around 6 unless I do you and then it's 8ish.

Breakfast (pre gym)
- Protein
- 2 eggs or 1 TB Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Oatmea

Breakfast (post gym)
- Same as pre

Lunch
- 8oz Chicken breast
- 1 Cup Rice
- Side of veggies

Mostly one slice of bread, one egg and some sort of side (fruit, yogurt, or cheese) for breakfast.

Leftovers for lunch. Otherwise, I'll make a sandwich if I feel like it or buy something at the cafeteria if I don't.

Ive been having Eggs one Toast with avocado for breakfast everyday. Ill occasionally make a quick protein shake to go along with it for the gains.

Because my job is outdoors and pretty physical, especially on a Monday, I try to eat a lot of Carbs and drink a whole bottle of water before I go in to work. 2 big bagels or 2 big muffins give me a good amount of energy until lunch (with a snack in between) then I just eat my pack lunch. I usually bring a PBJ sandwich with a snack, my work vehicle gets hot so I don't try to bring any perishables with my lunch.

Kite

Buy a box or two of protein bars (make sure they're low on sugar and have a decent amount of protein to fill you up) and keep them in your desk so you have something to eat for breakfast in case you had to skip breakfast at home.

For breakfast make a smoothie if you have time, pour in some protein powder or meal replacement powder so it'll fill you up.

For lunch cook buy 5 of those small/medium glass snap-top containers that are BPA-free and microwavable. Fill it with a small portion of lean meat like chicken breast or thigh, ground turkey or fish that you've cooked. Make a whole batch on Sunday night if you're lazy. Find creative ways to season the meat. I rotate between Indian simmer sauces, salad dressings, hot sauces, soy.. Fill up the rest of the container with veggies. I like buying whole bags of frozen green peas and defrosting them in a bowl of warm water, then straining them. You can also add in some canned beans if you want your lunch to be a bit more filling, I like seasoned black beans but I usually just buy whatever is on sale that week. Add some bread if you don't mind the carbs, you can make anything into a sandwich, wrap or taco.

There you go, cheap and healthy.

witness

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, slice of turkey sausage (cooked from raw), pinch of cheese in a bowl. 2 cups of coffee

Snack: protein drink, been having the Atkins ones recently

Lunch: slim fast advanced nutrition drink.

Going to switch to a meat and cheese combo soon though. This thread has been great for new ideas and I've ordered one of those Mr Bento's from Amazon!

How do you deal with the hunger pangs? I tried this for a while but I had to get something after work. Because as soon work was over I had to get takeout to eat, and then didn't feel like making a big dinner to cook, so I didn't.

I don't experience them; at least not enough to compel me to go and get food right then and there. I also like that it avoids the post-lunch fatigue. I know people counteract it with coffee but I gave that up years ago.

To be clear: I fucking love food. I think I've just made my body used to eating almost nothing during the day and then being satisfied at dinner.

For disclosure, I'm 5'8 and 165. I've always been either thin or slender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom