• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Hal Laboratory has to take the next step with Kirby

hatchx

Banned
Air Ride 2 pls. It'll save the games industry.

This is all I need in my life. Mostly the city trial mode with the open ended exploration (with multiplayer). Seriously expand on this concept, tighten the controls, boom. Boom.

I really hope daddy Sakura is secretly working on the new Kirby air ride.

SalvaPot

I don't know man, the games look similar but they do enough new to feel great and fresh. Honestly, graphically speaking, only an artstyle change would be noticeable this time around.

Also combining powers a la 64 is back! I am really excited for Kirby Switch.

Dreavus

Isn't the expanded version of Kirby 3D blast or whatever that mini-game was called still coming?

I think HALs been doing a pretty good job with Kirby. They seem to be constantly trying new stuff with the sub games and TBH, Robobot was an absolutely fantastic 2D Kirby game. Like someone else said, I half expected "meh" with Robobot but instead it was one of the best Kirby games to date. The whole final sequence was so awesome I almost couldn't believe it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the expanded version of Kirby 3D blast or whatever that mini-game was called still coming?

Yep, we're still waiting for that to release. It's that and the mystery 3DS Kirby title for 2017.

WonderzL

Banned
They don't. Kirby is always trying something new: Crystal Chards (64), Amazing Mirror (GBA), Air Ride (GC), Canvas Curse (DS), Robobot (3DS). All developed by HAL.

This idea that the evolution of a 2D game is a 3D one is very uninformed. Kirby is the most innovative 2D Nintendo franchise. Every game is different from the last.

massoluk

Banned
They don't. Kirby is always trying something new: Crystal Chards (64), Amazing Mirror (GBA), Air Ride (GC), Canvas Curse (DS), Robobot (3DS). All developed by HAL.

This idea that the evolution of a 2D game is a 3D one is very uninformed. Kirby is the most innovative 2D Nintendo franchise. Every game is different from the last.

Yeah.
Also it feels same to you, but not to the new kids or parents that need a simple Kirby on the newest console. It's a series that served a purpose, being simple accessible game.

Zalman

Kirby games are better than ever these days. Both Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are among the best in the franchise. If they keep up this level of quality, I'll gladly take more.

That said, 3D Kirby would be cool.

NewGame

Banned
I feel most kirby games don't like up to the SNES SuperStar game.

Most Kirby games feel like some sort of experimental gimmick with Kirby as the be-all-end-all tabula rasa to shove in.

That said, his spin off games are amazing

maxresdefault.jpg

Best golf game of all time

It would be very nice if people read the OP and stop acting and answering as if I'd suggested a 3D entry, because I have not. This is really disturbing.

This
I thought Planet Robobot was amazing, and the best game in the franchise.
[...]
I really disagree with the general idea that every series has to occasionally reinvent itself, and I outright object to the idea that every series needs to eventually "make the jump to 3d" because 3d gameplay is not inherently better than 2d gameplay.
And that

Even though... since my first Kirby was Amazing Mirror, I wouldn't mind a Kirby with a similar formula going back to the Great Cave Offensive.

Danneee

Sure it's not the exactly same game over and over and I won't argue against there being great spin offs and variations but honestly, most them are the same 2D platformer with enemy abilities.
Sure, a lot of games don't change their formula much in sequels but with something as extremely basic as Kirby you would think that there would be even more experimentation.

Syril

Sure it's not the exactly same game over and over and I won't argue against there being great spin offs and variations but honestly, most them are the same 2D platformer with enemy abilities.
Sure, a lot of games don't change their formula much in sequels but with something as extremely basic as Kirby you would think that there would be even more experimentation.
The funny thing is if you look at the games Sakurai directed there's actually a lot of advancement and experimentation between each one.

Kirby's Dream Land: baseline entry-level platformer
Kirby's Adventure: power copying and way longer
Kirby Super Star: power movelists, 2-player and multiple self-contained stories with different structures
Kirby Air Ride: crazy experimental racing game

eXistor

They're the epitome of "safe" games. They're always good fun and solid buys but they never go outside their comfort zone. In the past Kirby has had many more experimental games like Air Ride and the golf one. These days they seem content with making the same game every time. I'm not really complaining, because like I said; they're always good fun, but I agree that they could do something more with it like they did in the past.

I was disappointed when the Switch game amounted to Triple Deluxe HD and do wish they had been more ambitious, but TD and Robobot were both excellent games and I'm confident HAL will maintain that level of quality.

Shang

I feel like the series is too slow and doesn't involve any skill. Yoshi kinda feels the same.

They need to make the action more precise and faster paced and have areas and levels that need skill to beat.

They all feel like the same game so they definitely need to innovate and having 4 players again doesn't really do that.

old post but Yoshi has a lot to look for under the surface, as the real game is getting all those darn collectibles

Kirby is just kinda there, which sucks because I love the character and want to see the games go somewhere really exciting

Tookay

It's funny; I tend to agree with this opinion, especially when the games are first revealed, but then I play them and realize that they're still pretty fantastic.

Robobot in particular was a really inventive platformer and maybe the best Kirby.

Maybe an isometric, but also partially 3D Kirby RPG?

Kind of like Super Mario RPG to an extent.. but with a "light" and "fun" story.

The basic premise would be that Kirby uses a magical book and wand to "take" the essence of enemies you face to use in combat instead of just eating them to get their powers. Basic idea is that something has happened in Dream Land that has caused Kirby to lose his amazing appetite. Then his friends are kidnapped and Kirby goes to look for them. Kirby then stumbles onto the book and wand that tell him of a great impending doom from beyond the stars that could end reality. Kirby hopes this book will help him find his friends and his missing appetite.

Actually.. I think I want this to be a long, planet hopping RPG with nearly no dialogue. Think like.. the pantomime stuff in Super Mario RPG. The use of a visual style of menu for combat, fun in-world mini-games, a 3D world with minimal dialog outside of visual story telling, and the ability to add friends like Coo, Kine, King DeDeDe, MetaKnight, Rick, Nago, Gooey, Pitch, ChuChu, Ado, LoLoLo, LaLaLa, Waddle Dee, and so forth to your group. Oh, you may need certain powers and certain friends to find or pass certain obstacles. Maybe even have an area where you can use the Robobot Armor.

It would literally be an "introduction" RPG that even the very young could enjoy. The power mixing, coupled with the various friends would mean that a diverse amount of puzzles and obstacles could be implemented. The game could have multiple difficulty levels too. The lowest difficulty gives players the ability to ask the magic book for a visual aid on what they might try to pass an obstacle. For example, an area that needs you to use one of your animal friends and an Ice ability might show the enemy you get the ice ability from if you ask the book, asking it again might show a part of the animal friend you need to use. But this would only be available on the lowest difficulty. The higher difficulties demand that you experiment on how to get past puzzles or obstacles and enemies do more damage and take more damage in combat. Oh! The combat could also have a slight "rhythm" to attacking at later levels of difficulty.

That's my idea for Kirby's next step.

But of course.. I still want 2D Kirby titles. Also, I am okay with Yoshi seemingly taking over the Yarn/Arts & Crafts platforming market.

Top Bottom