• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I found the best third party SNES USB controller

I honestly did not know that the NA SNES had concave buttons... Just googled it.... Ewwwwwwww.....What is this abomination of a SNES controller

What's ew about it? The shape of the JP and EU console is much nicer, but the US controller is wonderful. The end of your thumb nestles gently in the inviting concaveness of the Y button, your knuckle on the B... It's like home, man.

The skittles colors of the JP and EU controllers are fantastic though. Love that.

V_Arnold

Really do not want to be a party pooper, but I think I will continue using 360 controller with PC, it is SO much better to hold in hands in prolonged periods of time.

Not even comparable.

I may be going against the grain with my fellow North Americans here, but as soon as I got the Super Famicom-esque AsciiPad for my SNES, I never went back to the concave Y and X.

Asciipad is my favorite SNES controller. A nice feature is that the buttons are drop-in replacements with OEM.

yClmTMQ.png

openrob

What's ew about it? The shape of the JP and EU console is much nicer, but the US controller is wonderful. The end of your thumb nestles gently in the inviting concaveness of the Y button, your knuckle on the B... It's like home, man.

The skittles colors of the JP and EU controllers are fantastic though. Love that.

Yeah, the colours are iconic! NA snes buttons look like Parma Violets or Fizzers
ukparma.jpg

fizzers.jpg

Raw64life

I have these. I found the lag made any games unplayable where instant reaction time was needed. I could barely play super Mario world.

I ended up just going back to the regular controller with a 6 foot extension.

Im assuming the n64 wireless controllers would have the same problems. Anyone have them that can comment?

Exactly what I read when I was looking for this and didn't buy them as a result. I wish someone would make a wireless SNES type controller for Wii U so I could use my Wii U Pro Adapter for it on PC.

Or really just any good wireless PC controller that is tailored for old school 2D gaming.

Yeah, the colours are iconic! NA snes buttons look like Parma Violets or Fizzers
ukparma.jpg

fizzers.jpg

As an American, I always thought that the American SNES controller buttons looked like Smarties, but not your Smarties, which coincidentally also look stunningly like the European controller buttons.

I'm confused. Are you guys saying that the controller is bad?

Nah, I'm saying that the Buffalo controller, in appearance and in its reviews, is clearly head and shoulders above any of the rest of the flimsy plastic garbage retro SNES-style USB controllers available for sale these days. I figured that if someone was praising a USB SNES controller highly enough to start a thread, chances were that it had to be the Buffalo one.

Timeless

If I can help it, I'm never getting a non-plug-and-play PC controller ever again. If I have to start up some Bluetooth app to use the Wii Classic Controller on PC, it's already too much of a pain for when I have friends over.

360 Wired Controller has been a joy for that reason, even if the D-Pad is bad. These SNES controllers look great.

openrob

As an American, I always thought that the American SNES controller buttons looked like Smarties, but not your Smarties, which coincidentally also look stunningly like the European controller buttons.

So did Nintnedo just say "Design them like Smarties!" and NA didn't get the memo properly? I am sure this is how it happened, it's the only possible explanation. I'm updating Wikipedia now
:)

Rich!

So, does anyone know if the interior of this fits into a legit snes controller?

Of course, I wouldn't be using the extra function buttons.

If not, are the buttons/membranes interchangeable with the real thing?

Rich!

Hmmmm....

This Buffalo controller, or finding a way to get this working on my PC?

2129593-snesclassiccontroller1.jpg

use the classic controller. get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0089O4EB0/

I have that, and use it with the Classic Controller Pro for retroarch. It's fantastic. Two ports for multiplayer is useful as hell, and there's no lag at all. It even works with my android phone via a USB adapter and the PS3!

as you use retroarch, here's the selling point for you:

- plug in your classic controller snes controller in one port for gameplay
- plug in a nunchuck or another classic controller into the other port for accessing the retroarch menu!

Well, I ordered an iBuffalo from Amazon. The look and feel of the controller is pretty good for something that's a knockoff. The plastic used is a decent quality and the d-pad feels close enough to the original.

Unfortunately, that's about everything good I have to say about it.

Some of the buttons were lazy and required extra pressure to register. The controller worked well enough, but it would flip out at random as if someone was holding a bunch of buttons or random directions down. It would eventually straighten out and work ok for a bit before wigging out again.

I took it apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner. The soldering job is kind of messy, but I didn't see anything that would cause a short. I put it back together and some of the buttons felt more responsive than before, but the glitching out was still occurring.

Eventually, Windows and OS X just stopped recognizing it. Windows sees it as an unknown USB device and OS X doesn't see it at all.

I guess it was a fun hour while it lasted.

I'm disappointed in this iBuffalo controller, which I got mainly because of this thread and the Amazon reviews.. Recently, I bought myself an SNES. The system ended up not working too well with my HDTV, so I went with a RetroPie and one of these iBuffalo controllers.

As part of getting back into the SNES era, I also bought 1 original controller and 2 other 3rd party controllers. Needless to say, the iBuffalo is the worst of them all. It feels way too light, and I actually did a pressure test to see if the plastic would bend if pressed and it does. My main complain is with the D-Pad which gives me this "sticky" feeling when pushing towards the bottom right. If you press that direction it takes a little too long for my liking to return to its normal position.

The ABXY buttons do feel closer to the original than the other 3rd party controllers that I bought (not as clicky), but the D-Pad and the shoulder buttons do not. The shoulder buttons feel too light and small. Thankfully I only paid $12 for one on Amazon but that was an anomaly as they go for $18+. At that price point you are better off buying a used original and an adapter.

I guess part of the reason for making this post is that I'm disappointed at how easily people follow the masses when a product gains momentum. If you have multiple SNES controllers it really doesn't take much time to figure out that the quality of the iBuffalo SNES controller isn't really that good. And yet you have people everywhere recommending it as feeling "just like the original."

Is it good enough? Sure. If you care about these things will you be disappointed? Absolutely.

Jimrpg

Bought two of these for $8 each off Amazon last year.

Great controller. It is indeed the best value.

I'm disappointed in this iBuffalo controller, which I got mainly because of this thread and the Amazon reviews.. Recently, I bought myself an SNES. The system ended up not working too well with my HDTV, so I went with a RetroPie and one of these iBuffalo controllers.

As part of getting back into the SNES era, I also bought 1 original controller and 2 other 3rd party controllers. Needless to say, the iBuffalo is the worst of them all. It feels way too light, and I actually did a pressure test to see if the plastic would bend if pressed and it does. My main complain is with the D-Pad which gives me this "sticky" feeling when pushing towards the bottom right. If you press that direction it takes a little too long for my liking to return to its normal position.

The ABXY buttons do feel closer to the original than the other 3rd party controllers that I bought (not as clicky), but the D-Pad and the shoulder buttons do not. The shoulder buttons feel too light and small. Thankfully I only paid $12 for one on Amazon but that was an anomaly as they go for $18+. At that price point you are better off buying a used original and an adapter.

I guess part of the reason for making this post is that I'm disappointed at how easily people follow the masses when a product gains momentum. If you have multiple SNES controllers it really doesn't take much time to figure out that the quality of the iBuffalo SNES controller isn't really that good. And yet you have people everywhere recommending it as feeling "just like the original."

Is it good enough? Sure. If you care about these things will you be disappointed? Absolutely.

I don't think its as good as the original for sure. Everything is a little bit 'off', the D-pad is not as responsive, the controller is a bit lighter as you say. But for a USB third party SNES controller thats about $10, its streets ahead of most third party controllers I've used. At least the D-pad is acceptable here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Meanwhile my 8bitdo SNES30 exceeded all my expectations. It's not just accurate to the feel of the original SNES controller... it might actually be better. The buttons have a great response.

Meanwhile my 8bitdo SNES30 exceeded all my expectations. It's not just accurate to the feel of the original SNES controller... it might actually be better. The buttons have a great response.
I had the opposite experience with 8bitdo. Inaccurate dpad, buttons not responsive enough. It's ok for casual play but in no way better than an actual SNES controller.

What specific brands are better in your opinion?

Gamestop is selling originals for $7. I think there is a coupon CAG16 that might still work. That's my top recommendation and get an adapter to USB, which is what I intend to do.

If you are really set in trying a 3rd party brand. I got a CIRKA from Amazon for $12 and even though the ABXY buttons are more clicky than the original, I actually like the feel of the D-pad and the responsiveness especially when playing Street Fighter II.

The other 3rd party controller is called the AsciiPad and that is godtier but they aren't cheap.

All these controller aren't USB, so you'll need an adapter if you get any of them. However CIRKA does make a USB version for $20 but that seemed a little too pricey for me.

I bought one of those last year and have been enjoying it.

Bought two of these for $8 each off Amazon last year.

Great controller. It is indeed the best value.

I don't think its as good as the original for sure. Everything is a little bit 'off', the D-pad is not as responsive, the controller is a bit lighter as you say. But for a USB third party SNES controller thats about $10, its streets ahead of most third party controllers I've used. At least the D-pad is acceptable here.

How often do you guys play with them? What do you think of the D-Pad? Does it stick for you?

It's not that the D-Pad isn't as responsive it is just plainly not registering moves at times. Mine is super loud, like distractingly loud. I opened mine to see how it works and noticed the rubber pad mechanism is too tight and it tends to stick. Maybe they'll wear out with time, which I really do hope they do.

Also the edges of the D-Pad are sharp and not as round like all the other controllers I have. My thumb is red after playing for about 2 hours.

Overall, I'm not liking this controller. Which is a shame because I really did have really high hopes for it.

Top Bottom