• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I'm going to start hate-playing NISA games

image.php

Whatever floats your boat, OP.

So you played Disgaea and decided that rest of NISA games are "stale and janky." Reading up on a game is like judging a movie after watching a trailer. Forgettable soundtracks? Play Mana Khemia, Ar Tonelico 1/2, or recent Atelier games. You'll see how wrong you are. Enjoy 'hate-playing' NISA games, just be sure not to choose the wrong games like Disgaea.

Unless you're suicidal I can't recommend that anyone do that to him or herself. Ever. Under any circumstances. That's beyond hate-playing.

It's a shame you've had a falling out with the Atelier games because they've actually turned into decent "game" games; as in high enough production values for any normal title and not just JRPG levels of expectations. Every game that's not Atelier or Disgaea is essentially the exact same game using 90% the same assets with the same battle systems only tweaked slightly. For now.
You probably haven't heard of HyperDimension Neptunia (vanilla). Nothing can be worst than that. The only good thing out of that game is the somewhat amusing, satire-filled dialogue.

Ralemont

not me
Disgaea 4 is excellent. Playing on Vita after the latest sale. I haven't played a Disgaea game since 1 though so I haven't burned myself out on the series. What I loved about Disgaea is all here though: the crazy strategies that somehow still manage to give the gameplay considerable depth (like throwing allies/enemies and Geo puzzles) and the light-hearted, self-aware dialogue and writing.

If you hate SRPGS then all right, but I'm confused by what seems to be an intent to blame the decline of JRPGs on SRPGs.

As for Atelier, I played Totori Plus and thought it was average in virtually every respect. Boring opinion end.

Danchi

Me and some friends have done this with Xbox Live Indie Games in the past (usually the ten minute demo is all you can stomach).

I'm not sure if putting significant hours into mediocre-to-bad JRPGs will be worth it though.

Well, there's Time & Eternity.

I've put in a couple of hours into that game, so I don't really have a solid criticism yet. But, I think the gameplay is definitely better than HDNep. HDNep had repetitive and highly boring dungeon crawling, slow battle animations (thank goodness you can skip it but still slow), and hypnotic soundtracks that'll put you to sleep. Time & Eternity has at least a charm. But again, I haven't played enough of it to make a statement :\

OP, add these to your hate-play list.

yaffi

I've put in a couple of hours into that game, so I don't really have a solid criticism yet. But, I think the gameplay is definitely better than HDNep. HDNep had repetitive and highly boring dungeon crawling, slow battle animations (thank goodness you can skip it but still slow), and hypnotic soundtracks that'll put you to sleep. Time & Eternity has at least a charm. But again, I haven't played enough of it to make a statement :\

OP, add these to your hate-play list.

I finished the game. It's not that the gameplay per se is bad; it's just awfully repetitive and everything else screams low budget. The plot is a mess, so are the characters. It's ugly and runs really bad.

They probably blew all the money on the japanese voice actors and maybe the soundtrack.

Kazerei

Banned
Disgaea 2 is the worst Disgaea. Worst story, worst characters, worst gameplay mechanics.

Give Disgaea 4 or Disgaea D2 a shot.

Voliko

I finished the game. It's not that the gameplay per se is bad; it's just awfully repetitive and everything else screams low budget. The plot is a mess, so are the characters. It's ugly and runs really bad.

They probably blew all the money on the japanese voice actors and maybe the soundtrack.
They could have gone cheaper than Yuzo Koshiro for sure.

Disgaea 2 is the worst Disgaea. Worst story, worst characters, worst gameplay mechanics.

Give Disgaea 4 or Disgaea D2 a shot.

Disgaea D2s post game is kind of terrible if you're going to do the whole thing. The last 2 battles don't so much have a steep difficult curve as they are a pair of difficulty step functions. The late post game is one of the few areas where they didn't tone down the grindiness and luck (read reset) based gameplay a bit. Up to that point its pretty fantastic though (although I think the Mount system is worse than Magichange/Fusion).

HGH

Banned
I don't remember where I heard this but from what I understand, for every good/big game NISA localizes, they also have to bring over developers' smaller, worse performing games, as a package deal of sorts. It might explain some things really.

Also, OP, if you don't mind, could you keep us updated on what you go through? I'm genuinely interested in this idea.
Personally I think TWatHK actually has a decent story that doesn't really start till chapter 9, and is buried behind loads of tedious stuff, and that one scene people complain about. I think most people just didn't expect to be playing someone as dickish as Kratos in an anime game (even if she's completely justified by everyone else being way worse).
Also play on Casual Mode and any other easy modes in other games. Sounds like it'd be more conductive for hateplaying.

A quick bit about my music comment: I'm sure the music has gotten better. Keep in mind my only experience with NISA game music is watching my wife play two games 11-12 years ago.

So I just booted up Mugen Souls Z and watched the intro...

A9IsO5B.gif

This is exactly the kind of beautiful horseshit I was wanting it to be. When the red ship thing showed up I was like "PLEASE TURN INTO A ROBOT" and then it did and I was like "yaaaaaasssssss". Waiting to actually play the game until my buddy comes over. I'm hoping this game becomes our I, Frankenstein of JRPGs.

What a strange post. I think it's pretty difficult to lump all of NISA's output into one thing like you have done.

But even if you could, I have no problem with people not liking that kind of stuff. But playing it knowing full well you don't like it. Huh?

I'm extremely grateful for what NISA do. We just wouldn't be getting these games in the west without them. Yes, they're not the stellar, epic JRPG's I was playing from the PS1 era. But they pretty much flat-out died out after the PS2 era. There's no alternative. These games keep the gameplay that I grew to love but just put them in different settings.

I'm actually beginning to enjoy stuff like Atelier more these days. It's such a change of pace from every other "save the world" JRPG.

So, update.

I haven't made as much headway into this as I had wanted to (and with the FFXVI demo/Bloodborne/Mario Party 10 trifecta I probably won't anytime soon), but I did manage to play a few of the games.

Picked up the original Mugen Souls for cheap and started playing that instead of Z...dear god, it's perfect for this. Everything is so completely jank and unpolished it's almost admirable. My buddy bailed after the initial bath house scene (because OF COURSE this game would have a fucking bath house scene) so unless my wife wants to share the pain I might be doing this one solo.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight was just boring. We barely made it through the opening 40ish minutes without me nodding off. I might have to solo this one for a while until I get to something truly terrible.

I know it's not NISA but I picked up Akiba's Trip to see what it was about...pretty good! It rides the line between homage and satire of otaku culture and has a decent combat system to boot. Might have to upgrade to the PS4 version if it starts to become scarce.

Also I got Hatoful Boyfriend on a Steam sale a few weeks back...amazing game. I'm totally going to double dip on the PS4 version.

AwShucks

Disgaea 4 and D2 are both fantastic.
ZHP is amazing.
Both Prinny games are amazing.

I enjoyed Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave and La Pucelle enough to not be disappointed.

Only a bit into Witch and the Hundred Knight but it's certainly not as good as other NIS games.

Of course NISA publishes a bunch of non NIS games as well, can't speak to most of those though. Except Dragon's Crown and both Danganronpa games. Those are great.

Thanks to GameStop's current B2G1 sale I've grabbed a bunch more of these:

Disgaea 3
Disgaea 4
Disgaea D2
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
The Guided Fate Paradox
Time & Eternity

I've only had a chance to play The Guided Fate Paradox so far...and I'm kind of liking it! The opening song is all kinds of delicious ridiculousness, and the setup/dialogue seems to be decent. Haven't had any gameplay yet though.

Hyperdimension Neptunia makes me feel like a pedo, and I was super embarrassed buying them. I might not be able to sit through those.

If GS is open today I might try to grab a few more and spend the next couple of days playing the intros.

Thanks to GameStop's current B2G1 sale I've grabbed a bunch more of these:

Disgaea 3
Disgaea 4
Disgaea D2
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
The Guided Fate Paradox
Time & Eternity

I've only had a chance to play The Guided Fate Paradox so far...and I'm kind of liking it! The opening song is all kinds of delicious ridiculousness, and the setup/dialogue seems to be decent. Haven't had any gameplay yet though.

Hyperdimension Neptunia makes me feel like a pedo, and I was super embarrassed buying them. I might not be able to sit through those.

If GS is open today I might try to grab a few more and spend the next couple of days playing the intros.

RIP

Don't you dare shit on Disgaea. SMH. Disgaea series is one of the last great SRPG series left. Intricate systems, charming cast usually with comedy throughout and tons of replay value.

kunonabi

So, NIS America.

Ever since my wife started playing Disgaea ten years ago their games have just done nothing for me. There was a Makai Kingdom trailer that interested me enough to preorder the game, but I never played it before gifting it away. My wife fell off after being disappointed with Disgaea 2, and we haven't had any major contact with their games since outside of laughing about how many ridiculously titled Atelier games get released. I'd occasionally read up on a new game, decide that the gameplay looked stale and janky and the dialogue was too juvenile/hamfisted, and skip it as usual.

A few days ago I realized something: maybe that's the entire point.

Growing up, JRPGs were the golden pinnacle of gaming for me. They usually had the best graphics, the grandest stories, the most beautiful soundtracks; if one made it over at all it was something to be celebrated and I loved it. Then NISA games came along and ran contrary to all of that. Games with samey gameplay, forgettable MIDI tracks and mediocre graphics pumped out as fast as they could be translated. They weren't grandiose or revolutionary; they just took SRPG framework, slapped some anime graphics on top and called it a day. It ran contrary to the pedestal that I had placed the entire genre on, and it burned me out on JRPGs in general.

But you know what, past me? That's bullshit. We have a weekly ritual of inviting my buddy over and watching so-bad-they're-good movies on Netflix. We are currently running through Ride to Hell for kicks, and I even bought the DLC. We love playing terrible jank in every form of entertainment we consume...why should JRPGs be any different? Why does every one have to be this life-changing experience that takes years to craft? I want some grindhouse JRPGs. I want something that purposely makes me cringe and doesn't try to be anything more than what it is. I need some jank in my life.

Grabbing The Witch and The Hundred Knight and Mugen Souls Z after work. let's do this

The Witch and the Hundred Knight is probably the only NISA game I really enjoy. If it wasn't for the god awful grinding on normal it could have been something amazing. The characters and story are pretty great aside from a few issues with the later chapters though.

You're going to get Witch & The Hundred Knight? If you value any of your time and money just don't. Hate playing is one thing but that game will take you to a whole new level.

Bumpers

Are you me OP? I've been doing this for years for when I decide I want to experience the lowest of the low in my life.

LQ4MLmr.jpg

Some of these games are so fresh they haven't even left their packaging yet.

Junahu

We love playing terrible jank in every form of entertainment we consume...why should JRPGs be any different?
Because RPGs require a much much larger time investment, and are relatively low in direct interactivity. You won't see the graphics glitching out, or a physics error propel Laharl 7 miles away. You'll be playing for the cutscenes and the actual game mechanics. You're gonna get real bored if you don't like either.

But if you still want that, a JRPG so rediculous and dumb that it becomes a parody of itself, then Disgaea 3 is made just for you.
And that's not an insult to the game, Disgaea 3 is genuinely the idea of a dumb JRPG distilled into game form, it's designed that way more than any other game from NISA's library.

I'm not afraid to admit the fact that I platinumed both Tokitowa and Witch and the Hundred Knight.

I wanted Witch and the Hundred Knight before it came out. Is that game considered bad? It was the first NIS game I wanted for awhile but then kinda forgot to get it.

Tohsaka

I wanted Witch and the Hundred Knight before it came out. Is that game considered bad? It was the first NIS game I wanted for awhile but then kinda forgot to get it.

I wouldn't say it's bad, it's just not anything special. The gameplay is fairly fun and some of the characters are likable, but the graphics are really dated

Ashkeloth

Are you me OP? I've been doing this for years for when I decide I want to experience the lowest of the low in my life.

Some of these games are so fresh they haven't even left their packaging yet.

Keep them sealed. Some say merely opening the packaging will cause the doors on your home to seal, your food to morph into bags of cheetos and your bank account to drain in return for hundreds of dollars of skimpy anime figurines, delivered by a courier who can only look at you with a vague sense of pity as he holds his nose and throws the packaging into your hand, struggling to stay conscious thorough the pungent odor emitting from your unwashed body.

Jokes aside, Disgaea is a fantastic SRPG series. It doesn't hold up in maturity to stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre and it isn't as insanely over the top as the Super Robot Taisen series, but it strikes a good balance between the two. I'm also glad that NISA localizes some of the more obscure games like the recent under-the-radar fighting game, Under Night In-Birth. They definitely bring out some real otaku-bait games, but they're easy enough to avoid if you know what to look for, which is to say, ignore any games with the word idea or compile anywhere on the box.

MCN

Banned
In the UK, Nisa is a chain of convenience stores. Needless to say, this thread title confused me.

On-topic, I'm not sure I understand the concept of hate-playing. Surely that involves paying hard-earned cash for something you know you're not going to enjoy?

moolamb

Hate is not the opposite of love. It's indifference.

It sounds like you are only one step away from loving these games.

brah it's easter.

The good lord didn't die for you to spend a free day buying "shitty" games just for you to hate them

lol I've been making that same joke about everything for the past two days.

Went out and picked up the following:
Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Rorona
Eternal Sonata (this one's actually good though)
Record of Agarest War 2

Not all NISA.

Hate is not the opposite of love. It's indifference.

It sounds like you are only one step away from loving these games.

tumblr_inline_nhxtnpDpUb1sdu2gj.gif

I kept trying to get into Disgaea, particularly the first one, all the time but I found it to be the most shameless and boring numbers game out of all the turn based strategy RPGs I've played. All style and no substance. All those stats that can go to the thousands but you never felt like you accomplish anything. Plus the whole grinding your weapons to be slightly stronger by doing procedurally generated dungeons felt like a pointless prospect. It just never clicked for me.

HGH

Banned
Guided Fate Paradox actually had competent people behind the gameplay, if you enjoyed roguelikes. Problem is it just barfs cutscenes at you nonstop, which, when you're exploring multi-floor randomized labyrinths, can get annoying.

And then all those competent people got dicked over, left the company, and joined CH. So NIS being the geniuses they are, decided to make its horrible sequel, Awakened Fate Ultimatum, wtihout them. Now that's a bad game, although with the giant backlog you built I'd wait a while.

Seriously though, how are you gonna manage to hateplay so much stuff? There's only so much time in the world!

Guided Fate Paradox actually had competent people behind the gameplay, if you enjoyed roguelikes. Problem is it just barfs cutscenes at you nonstop, which, when you're exploring multi-floor randomized labyrinths, can get annoying.

And then all those competent people got dicked over, left the company, and joined CH. So NIS being the geniuses they are, decided to make its horrible sequel, Awakened Fate Ultimatum, wtihout them. Now that's a bad game, although with the giant backlog you built I'd wait a while.

Seriously though, how are you gonna manage to hateplay so much stuff? There's only so much time in the world!

Thanks for the input on Awakened Fate; I'm waiting on the inevitable price drop for that one.

The main reason I'm stockpiling so many JRPGs right now is because I think we're either near or at the bottom prices for these games, and the availability is still good. The B2G1 averages the cost of each game to $10-15ish or less, which is my impulse buy price. I have a feeling that at least a few of these will shoot up in the next decade, so the time is now.

APPLEDOUGH

cafemomo

lol I've been making that same joke about everything for the past two days.

Went out and picked up the following:
Atelier Ayesha
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Rorona

atelier is great - especially the arland series, never got into the dusk games. i hope you got em for the Vita. it's wonderful having them on the go
fAIt6qM.jpg

Had my buddy over last night and we tried out a few more of these.

Played the intros of Disgaea 3 and D2...and they were pretty damn good! My wife still loathed 3 but D2 actually made her smile. The opening scene was really funny.

Then we tried Time & Eternity...

tumblr_mbwfapdqq91rd06hno1_400.gif

Jesus fucking Christ this game is HORRIBLE. I can't wait to play more.

I named the "protagonist" Dickbutt.

HGH

Banned
Time and Eternity is commonly on the list of Worst RPGs Ever and the people who made it only just went out of business. You can see what they were trying to do except they failed utterly horribly.

Yeah, Disgaea 3's plot is meh because Mao is a pretty annoying character. By comparison the group dynamics of Laharl and Co. are probably more entertaining.
Also 3 is basically an upscaled PS2 game if you look at the graphics, and about this point is when they start trying out new ideas to freshen stuff up between games.

Time and Eternity is commonly on the list of Worst RPGs Ever and the people who made it only just went out of business. You can see what they were trying to do except they failed utterly horribly.

Yeah, Disgaea 3's plot is meh because Mao is a pretty annoying character. By comparison the group dynamics of Laharl and Co. are probably more entertaining.
Also 3 is basically an upscaled PS2 game if you look at the graphics, and about this point is when they start trying out new ideas to freshen stuff up between games.

Yeah, that's what I came away with from 3. I honestly don't mind Mao but my wife fucking HATES him.

A friend of mine did something similar. He picked up Time & Eternity and played the first hour of it in front of a group of friends. It was a riot. Lots of pained laughter and groaning. Lots of it.

I know it's not NISA but I picked up Akiba's Trip to see what it was about...pretty good! It rides the line between homage and satire of otaku culture and has a decent combat system to boot. Might have to upgrade to the PS4 version if it starts to become scarce.

Good choice. I actually bought Akiba's Trip solely as a joke (because I, too, was craving a skeevy, badly programmed anime game) and am genuinely shocked at how much of a good time I'm having with it. It quoted that notorious "it's about justice" line from Shikigami no Shiro II. Instant GOAT for me just from that alone.

God help you with Mugen Souls, though. You're asking for serious trouble with that one.

Top Bottom