• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think most of us remember Last Resort by Papa Roach. It's been "reimagined" by Falling in Reverse

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If you're an elder millennial or just a millennial in the first place think we all remember this Papa Roach song. It was huge. I wasn't a big fan, but you couldn't get away from it. I was driving the other day and caught the tail end of this new version. I couldn't tell who it was at first. Here's the new version.

That's definitely something all right. What do you think fellow millennials?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hah, thats funny. I prefer the original but its a nice cover.

Original was huge, I was riding motocross at the time all into the mx culture and all the nu metal was a huge part of the scene. Papa Roach is from Vacaville as well not to far from where I grew up.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hah, thats funny. I prefer the original but its a nice cover.

Original was huge, I was riding motocross at the time all into the mx culture and all the nu metal was a huge part of the scene. Papa Roach is from Vacaville as well not to far from where I grew up.
It's crazy how big nu metal was. If it wasn't Korn or Limp Bizkit it was a band like them. All the girls loved it too. I bet these guys got mad groupie action.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't remember this part from Nier Automata.

Seems like the Falling in Reverse guy has his heart in it. Prefer the original but that's almost always the case.

Dark Star

I love Ronnie and all the music he’s made, he has a good voice, but this is kind of lame/weak IMO. The original has such a badass “early 2000’s chad” energy (think Headstrong by Trapt). This is just an epic emotional mess of a rollercoaster haha.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
angry clint eastwood GIF

Eww

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This is Rock in 2023, guys.

Overproduced wailing that makes the collective whole of the 16-27 yo Tiktok user base go crazy because they haven't actually been alive long enough to discover legit impressive performances.

This isn't an old man yelling at clouds thing, either. Papa Roach was pretty bad music without being covered by Eldritch John over here. It just had ENERGY, as most staple examples of nu metal. Bad music with energy. Take that energy away, and can any of the mathematicians here tell me what's left of the equation?

I dunno. Let me hear a version like this live, forty minutes into your set and see how it sounds. Helen Keller could record a competent sounding song in a modern studio, live is the test. Studio recording though? Thoroughly unimpressed.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you're an elder millennial or just a millennial in the first place think we all remember this Papa Roach song. It was huge. I wasn't a big fan, but you couldn't get away from it. I was driving the other day and caught the tail end of this new version. I couldn't tell who it was at first. Here's the new version.

That's definitely something all right. What do you think fellow millennials?

This is atrocious, Oh My God!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Amy Lee looking and sounding ROOOOUUUUGGGHHHHHHHH.

That said, it ain't my cuppa but since I liked a lot of 80s covers of 50-60s songs I guess karma IS a bitch.

GIF by Giffffr

Personally, I hate when bands release covers as singles, and also when they just do the song pretty much as-is. Also the bigger the original song, the poorer in taste it is to cover. So at least they uhhh... did something... with it. It just wasn't good. But maybe teenage goth girls like it. (do those even still exist?)

Based on my criteria, it is scientifically proven that the worst cover of all time is Weezer's Africa:

(no Weird Al doesn't save it)

And close second is Weezer's Take on Me.

I'm guessing the actual bands getting covered completely disagree with me as they like nothing better than a bump in royalties :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Nirvana Unplugged stuff is kind of the gold standard. Not even a studio recording, but still on the radio 30 years after the fact out of sheer force of awesomeness.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
GIF by Giffffr

Personally, I hate when bands release covers as singles, and also when they just do the song pretty much as-is. Also the bigger the original song, the poorer in taste it is to cover. So at least they uhhh... did something... with it. It just wasn't good. But maybe teenage goth girls like it. (do those even still exist?)

Based on my criteria, it is scientifically proven that the worst cover of all time is Weezer's Africa:

(no Weird Al doesn't save it)

And close second is Weezer's Take on Me.

I'm guessing the actual bands getting covered completely disagree with me as they like nothing better than a bump in royalties :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Nirvana Unplugged stuff is kind of the gold standard. Not even a studio recording, but still on the radio 30 years after the fact out of sheer force of awesomeness.

I mean, I completely understand the grading criteria of making a cover your own distinct version of the song. You want to (maybe, someone does, I'm sure) hear Weezer's Africa, not Weezer playing Toto's Africa.

But I add on a second supplementary condition to my grading: Only make the song your own if your own isn't shit.

I dunno. I understand what this dude was attempting, but the execution didn't land for me. I like the concept, but Last Resort was the Kim Kardashian of Butt rock nu metal. Take away that honky flow of Shaddix and those crunching glass power chords, and it's just....ehhh. it's like if someone were to take a top rated recipe book and made a Broadway musical out of it. Like...I'm sure you could do it and it'd be ight, and the sub section of avant garde normies would dig it and All, but like

Why?

gow3isben

Original was a shit. I hated how it was all over the place early 2000s as it sucked.

This one is actually a good song imo.

Doom85

Cut my life into pizza
This is my plastic fork
Oven baking, heavy breathing
Don’t give a fuck if it’s carbs that I’m eating!

Anyway, remember “The One” with Jet Li? That one where the evil Li is sent to some sort of prison dimension, and the movie ends on him just beating the shit out of a wave of prisoners rushing him as ”Last Resort” played? Good shit.

DryvBy

In the early 00s when this song and other suicide songs were coming out, my parents warned me that these songs would make me depressed or suicidal.

No, mom and dad. This horrific cover of a great dumb rock song is enough to make a man hang up his head. This is horrific. I'd rather listen to Britney Speaks sing without autotune.

YuLY

I kinda like it. Its like a no guitars post-hardcore reimagined cover. At least they tried to make it very different besides the lyrics, not a lazy cover.

H4ze

We listened to the original non stop at the evening I got drunk for the first time in my life. I was 15, at a friends place and we had a bottle of wodka, it was absolutely awesome.

But I just can't listen to it anymore tho

giphy.gif

It's not offensively bad, and it's not amazing either. It's just something I can hear being used as a throwaway song for a movie or video game trailer, since they like these kinds of covers so much.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hated the original as I hated that type of music, but I kinda like this new cover, you can tell the singer has his heart in it.

Reallink

This is Rock in 2023, guys.

Overproduced wailing that makes the collective whole of the 16-27 yo Tiktok user base go crazy because they haven't actually been alive long enough to discover legit impressive performances.

This isn't an old man yelling at clouds thing, either. Papa Roach was pretty bad music without being covered by Eldritch John over here. It just had ENERGY, as most staple examples of nu metal. Bad music with energy. Take that energy away, and can any of the mathematicians here tell me what's left of the equation?

I dunno. Let me hear a version like this live, forty minutes into your set and see how it sounds. Helen Keller could record a competent sounding song in a modern studio, live is the test. Studio recording though? Thoroughly unimpressed.

LOL @ Eldritch John.

Top Bottom