• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the New Disney Animation Renaissance might have topped the previous one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

They seem fairly comparable to me. It's hard to compare objectively as movies like Little Mermaid, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin became part of the culture and the newer ones haven't had the same chance to do so yet (except for Frozen which became part of the culture very quickly).

I agree with this post. I think we need to let the current Disney Renaissance settle a little bit before we compare it.

Maybe you're right. It's just the only one I haven't seen since it was originally released so I can't speak to how it holds up, but the rest are all still really good movies with animation (and stories) that will hold up 50 years from now. As much as I liked Zootopia, I just feel like in 20 years time that movie is not going to hold up from a story telling or animation perspective.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm honestly shocked that got adapted by Disney. That movie is fucking dark.

It's kind of awesome. Who doesn't want to show their kids a movie featuring a supposed man of god angrily lusting after a Romani woman? Some really great songs too. Hellfire and Out There are standouts.

I really want a full-blown feature for whatever they did with Paperman.
Paperman-2.gif

That would be a great style, please do it Disney!

Sephzilla

I'm also salty that The Great Mouse Detective isn't considered part of the first Disney Renaissance

It's kind of awesome. Some really great songs too. Hellfire and Out There are standouts.

I mean, I love the movie, but the first time I saw it was when I was an adult and I was actually kind of shocked by it.

WillyFive

I'm also salty that The Great Mouse Detective isn't considered part of the first Disney Renaissance

The Renaissance is characterized by both critical and commercial success and the defeat of Don Bluth's own movies in the market. Disney's movies at the time Mouse Detective came out were still being pummeled hard by Bluth's films.

No way. The period from The Great Mouse Detective (which I've always personally considered the real start of the Renaissance) to The Hunchback of Notre Dame was the peak of Disney's film output.

I wouldn't put any of the current films anywhere close to the level of Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King or The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Honestly, it's hard to pick just one. It's overwhelming how many damn good songs those first renaissance movies had.

I mean-- uh, garbage songs. Like Gaston's song? Jeez, talk about creating a bunch of little egomaniacs.

It's kinda telling that "Let it Go" was the first and only song that's been latched on too from Disney fans and kids alike in damn near 15 years.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Only Frozen is of comparison due to its musical nature, the others are great in their own right but not on or near the level.

3D animation does not tend to age as gracefully as 2D animation.

(nevermind the fact that I already like them less upon release)

nope.

a lot of the movies on that "new renaissance" list are shit. who cares about their RT ratings.

i'll take the last 3 of the last renaissance over all of them except zootopia tbh (and maybe tangled). let alone Lion King and Beauty and Beast.

Fat4all

Banned
The Renaissance is characterized by both critical and commercial success and the defeat of Don Bluth's own movies in the market. Disney's movies at the time Mouse Detective came out were still being pummeled hard by Bluth's films.

it's weird how when Disney movies started getting better (both commercially and in quality), Bluth's films started declining on both fronts.

I liked Rock-a-Doodle as a kid, but I rewatched it a couple years back and I was shocked.

Air

Banned
I'd be more inclined to agree if they funded more 2D animation. I get it's expensive but it's fucking Disney.

They're still making money off of decades old movies. Don't tell me they can't fund an expensive old school animation project.

I guess I'd settle for stuff like Paperman, where the cg is indistinguishable from 2d animation.

I don't think the cost has anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure it's the belief that a 3D film looks more theatrical than a 2d one. I think if there's ever a renaissance of 2D feature films, and they're able to break 500+ Mil like their 3D counter parts, you'll see it. The issue is that 2D films have to be stylistically and thematically interesting and I don't think Disney is capable of doing that as they are now.

18-Volt

No way. CGI technology of today will get old eventually but 2D will remain timeless. Plus Bolt is higher than Pocahontas? What the hell.

I really want a full-blown feature for whatever they did with Paperman.
Paperman-2.gif

Musker said that this technology still have long time to go. Probably won't be ready for some time. Until then they can use it for more shorts, hopefully.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Of the new renaissance films you've identified, I would rank them kinda like this:
Excellent:
Zootopia

Good:
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Winnie the Pooh 2011
Wreck-it Ralph
Frozen

Meh:
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
Big Hero 6

Of the first Disney Renaissance films, I would rate them like this:
Excellent:
The Little Mermaid
The Rescuers Down Under
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Mulan

Good:
Pocahontas
Hercules

Meh:
Tarzan

... so, uh, I'd definitely have to give it to the old renaissance over the new one.

AniHawk

i don't know about the second renaissance being better than the first, but zootopia is probably disney's best film.

Nowhere near as good IMO. I really like Zootopia and Tangled but I just don't think this current Disney reemergence can hang with the best of the Disney Renaissance era.

I don't think the cost has anything to do with it. I'm pretty sure it's the belief that a 3D film looks more theatrical than a 2d one. I think if there's ever a renaissance of 2D feature films, and they're able to break 500+ Mil like their 3D counter parts, you'll see it. The issue is that 2D films have to be stylistically and thematically interesting and I don't think Disney is capable of doing that as they are now.

I think the main problem is that there's a perception among the average consumer that 2D animation is inherently more childish or even cheaper in quality than 3D animation.

TDLink

Definitely don't agree. I think Tangled and Zootopia are the only standouts from the new era.

Wreck It Ralph and Frozen are both alright but not really classics (despite Frozen getting ridiculously popular).

The rest have all been pretty forgettable or not that great.

Haven't seen Moana yet though.

:v

The joke for me is that I love Hellfire and despise Summer lol

*shrugs*

I gotta agree with Stump, though I'd probably put it in between Good and Meh if I could. It felt extremely formulaic, art style was not anything special or unique (I don't hate CG, but I do wish they had more variety in execution), and I didn't really get into any of the characters. Like, I couldn't off the top of my head tell you the kind of personality of most of the main cast; heck, the stoner I find more memorable than the main character.

It was serviceable, but nothing special for me.

Barrage

I prefer the original renaissance, but I was a child then so I can't honestly say that nostalgia isn't a huge factor. I'd love to hear more from people who are in their teens-20's, and are watching LK/Aladdin/BATB after the fact while growing up with Tangled and Frozen.

Out of pure curiosity, here are the RT scores for the original Pixar Era (1995-2005):

Toy Story (1995, 100% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
A Bug's Life (1998, 92% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Toy Story 2 (1999, 100% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Monster's Inc.(2001, 96% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Finding Nemo (2003, 99% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
The Incredibles (2004, 97% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)

I'd say that those Bug's Life and Toy Story 2 scores are pretty generous.

If we're just talking Pixar's first ten movies:

Cars (2006, 74% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Ratatouille (2007, 96% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Wall-E (2008, 96% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Up (2009, 98% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)

This may seem controversial, but I think the New Disney Animation Renaissance might have officially topped the previous one. With both Zootopia and Moana releasing this year to extraordinary critical reception, I think that just might be the case. If it hasn't just yet, I do think it will if Disney keeps this up.

The first Disney Renaissance is said to have lasted 10 years (1989-1999)

These are the 10 movies from that era:

The Little Mermaid (1989, 92% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
The Rescuers Down Under (1990, 68% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Beauty and the Beast (1991, 93% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Aladdin (1992, 94% Fresh of Rotten Tomatoes)
The Lion King (1994, 92% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Pocahontas (1995, 56% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996, 73% Fresh of Rotten Tomatoes)
Hercules (1997, 83% Fresh or Rotten Tomatoes)
Mulan (1998, 86% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Tarzan (1999, 88% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)

Between 2000 and 2006, they had some good movies, but they also hit rock bottom at points. In 2006, Disney acquired Pixar Animation Studios. As part of that acquisition, Pixar's John Lassetter became the overseer of all Disney Animation. The first such film was Meet the Robinsons. As that was a decently well received movie, in my mind, should be where the new renaissance should start (some have it starting at Frozen, which I find odd).

These are the (currently) 10 movies from this era:

Meet The Robinsons (2007, 66% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Bolt (2008, 89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
The Princess and the Frog (2009, 84% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Tangled (2010, 89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Winnie the Pooh (2011, 90% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Wreck-it-Ralph (2012, 86% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Frozen (2013, 89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Big Hero 6 (2014, 89% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Zootopia (2016, 98% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)
Moana (2016, 98% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes)

I know many hold the first Disney Renaissance in high regard, but this new Renaissance is incredibly consistent in quality. Thoughts?

I was just thinking the same thing. WDAS/Pixar are just nailing it in terms of overall technical execution. Great to see that Disney is back. Moana's visual prowess was just breathtaking..man!

watership

Wooo no. I completely disagree. Zootopia was good, but i don't think it's a classic. Wreck-it-Ralph and Frozen are exceptional, and probably could swing with the previous era though.

Also, shame upon you and your house for not including The Emperor's New Groove in that list. It's a fantastic film.

Nope, they still don't beat the GOAT!

raw

That's a centaur

Wooo no. I completely disagree. Zootopia was good, but i don't think it's a classic. Wreck-it-Ralph and Frozen are exceptional, and probably could swing with the previous era though.

Also, shame upon you and your house for not including The Emperor's New Groove in that list. It's a fantastic film.

ENG is one of my favorite Disney movies period, but it's in the middle with Lilo & Stitch, surrounded by crap.

WillyFive

Although fantastic movies, neither Emperor nor Lilo and Stitch are included in the Renaissance because they are just two flukes among a long line of films that were both critical and commercial failures between 2000 to 2007 when 2D films started bombing, studios started closing, and Dreamworks and Pixar dominated the entire industry, etc.

kswiston

People aren't going to agree with you because they were kids during the first renaissance and are adults this time around.

Personally, I think the 90s had bigger highs but post 2010 Disney is more consistent.

Beauty and the Beast was nominated for best picture.

It was such a coup that the Academy made sure it could never happen again.

No way. The first renaissance was perfection.

Best Picture Nod when only 5 films got nominations unlike the recent period where 10 Best Picture nods let them occasionally throw Disney a bone.

Was up in 91 which was a good year where the nominations were Beauty and the Beast, The Prince of Tides, Bugsy, JFK and the winner Silence of the Lambs.

a916

What are the actual reviews though?

If we use RT as the metric, we're treating a 6/10 review the same as a 10/10 review.

I'd be more interested to see how these things come out when we take review scores into mind.

But yeah, it is impressive and no doubt has to do with the Lasseter Effect.

Oozer3993

If I separate out the advantage the first Renaissance has because I grew up with them, then the two are fairly close. The first probably has more classic movies, but the second isn't done yet. Moana and Tangled are both phenomenal. Wreck-It Ralph is great. Big Hero 6 and Zootopia are solid. Winnie the Pooh is charming as heck. The second may take it by the time the possible Lin Manuel-Miranda/Byron Howard movie comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom