• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think there are Warcraft mods that should be expanded on outside DOTA and MOBAs

Mupod

Don't Move Your Tauren is the next big esport. Heard it here first.

Does anyone remember Vampire Hunters? I can't remember if it was 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5 but it was my favorite and most-played WC3 map other than DOTA.

The basic premise was that one team consisted of vampire hunters (using the elite footman model) and one team was vampires (dreadlords). The hunters started off in a town in the middle of the map, and the vampires would be on the outskirts. The vampires had to pick off villagers in the surrounding areas to gain souls and power up, in the early game the hunters were much stronger than vampires so they had to be sneaky about it. Eventually the vampires gained enough souls and could summon a bunch of shit to attack the town itself. It was a pretty balanced map from the get-go and a lot of fun to play, but nobody seems to remember it.

I'm seriously surprised no one ever made something like Enfo's, Hero Line Wars and WinterMaul Wars. It's such a great idea and nobody ever capitalized on it.

Zaru

Tides of Blood > DOTA.

That map was a technical marvel under the hood and I played it enough to satiate my desire for such games for a lifetime, but somehow it never took off like Dota (with its frequent updates) did.

Keym

That map was a technical marvel under the hood and I played it enough to satiate my desire for such games for a lifetime, but somehow it never took off like Dota (with its frequent updates) did.
The game encouraged teamwork and had no instant gratification, so obviously it wasn't going to be as popular as DOTA.

Steel

Banned
Do you mean limitations on a technical side or limitations in how they're published on the custom game market?

Starcraft 2 doesn't allow licensed properties for map making because Blizzard retains the rights to all the maps to avoid a DOTA 2 situation.

Top Bottom