• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I tried browsing without adblock for 2 hours --[oh the horror, pure horror]

I've been using adblock as long as I can remember. Right now I have 2 adblocks, regular one and adblock plus for Chrome. So after seeing some cries from people on GAF, I decided to try browse without adblock.
Oh my god. I had no idea. How people deal with this is beyond me. Every site has tons of ads and the worst one are the flashy ones. But the pop ups. Jesus Christ. This is not normal. Almost every site has a pop up offering me something and I have to click x or decline something. Youtube has ads before playing the videos. What the hell? I accidentally clicked twice on one of those cards that appear during the video because I wanted to pause the video.
I have no idea how people without adblock use the internet. It's unbearable. Like, horrible. I understand that sites make their money through ads but I honestly wouldn't use the internet without adblock. Srsly, fuck that. I'd go get drunk or play games or ride my bike instead of using the internet. It's like, really horrible. So I admire you people who don't use adblock. You deserve a medal.
The only place I feel a bit guilty when using an adblock is neogaf. But I'm a gold member so it doesn't matter. I plan on getting gold when my current one expires, so I think el patron won't mind me using adblock.

What's your point? I need to banned?

Banned?
Absolutely not. This site is above that crap now.

However..

Cancelled?
I've already filled out the appropriate documentation and its being submitted at REEEception as we speak.

hitchhikersguide008.jpg

xrnzaaas

It's simple, so many people use adblock the sites have to exploit the ones that don't as much as they can. The time for getting people accustomed to ads on the Internet the same way as to ads on TV is long gone. Anyone who's experienced annoying (or dangerous) ads will never stop using adblock and if you block those people from browsing your site they'll just go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
In addition to the ad blocking, I really love Ublock's "Hide Element" feature accessed via the right click menu. It's invaluable for removing those floating social media buttons and side bar type things that can often overlay the content you are trying to read. Right click the annoying thing, click hide element, it previews the change, accept and never see the panel again. Worked on Wikipedia's ad begging.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
In addition to the ad blocking, I really love Ublock's "Hide Element" feature accessed via the right click menu. It's invaluable for removing those floating social media buttons and side bar type things that can often overlay the content you are trying to read. Right click the annoying thing, click hide element, it previews the change, accept and never see the panel again. Worked on Wikipedia's ad begging.
Really cleans up news sites too. And oh man, those fandom wikis are horribly bloated without custom filters.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimately all this, and the privacy invasion model of Facebook and Google, ID the product of utopian ideals in the early days of the internet. It was naive. Had a micropayment model been developed early on using a model similar to BAT or TUBE (or BTC’s lightning payment mechanism) we would have a better internet today.

Paltheos

My experience isn't as terrible as you described, Elektro. I don't get as many popups as you apparently do, or maybe the ones I do get just don't bother me that much.

I tend to go by a whitelisting model myself. I'll whitelist anything I like and any place that asks me nicely, so long as I'm not overwhelmed with crap once I do.

I also used to use a series of ad blocks. For a while Adblock Plus wasn't sufficient so I was running script blockers that block *everything* on a website until I manually whitelisted every script I was ok with running. It was allot of work to setup but it let me get around all the ads and all the shit meant to stop you from browsing with an adblocker.

Virex

Banned
It's simple, so many people use adblock the sites have to exploit the ones that don't as much as they can. The time for getting people accustomed to ads on the Internet the same way as to ads on TV is long gone. Anyone who's experienced annoying (or dangerous) ads will never stop using adblock and if you block those people from browsing your site they'll just go somewhere else.
Some sites block you if you use an ad blocker. But luckily now you have an ad block blocker blocker. Nano defender

Nymphae

Banned
This is what i'm talking about with the hide element thing, this covering up the page with nonsense is getting out of hand.

Y9qk4qt.png

tfomg66.png

BQhhz3T.png

LtrCaHu.png

Gone and will never be seen again.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't understand people not using them either. So many sites are so irresponsible about their ad use.

This forum just has some banners which isn't bad. But, even then, there are times when you bring up a thread, you're scrolling, and the page flips out because it hadn't finished loading some of them and it can be mildly frustrating.

I don't know how else these sites can make money, so it's not like there's a better solution. All I know is that I don't really feel guilty about blocking the ads except on sites that I use a lot like this one.

-Minsc-

I'm leaning more to throwing some money at a site if I really want to support it. For the sites I don't give money to, I'll trust the hard core people to support it.

Top Bottom