• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I WANT: Open world Zelda; core items from start; challenging, with skippable tutorial

I think the difference here is that Metroid doesn't stop you from using advanced techniques to get to places that most people would need a new power up to get to. For example, the big alien face cave corridor that is normally inaccessible without the Hi-Jump Boots, can be accessed early with deft use of power bomb jumps or (I think) wall jumping.

Wall jumping makes it so easy to break the game's sequence, and the game doesn't tell you off for trying.

Those are minor cases compared to walls made of missle blocks or doors that can be opened by specific weapons, which are the vast majority of the game.

y2dvd

I don't mind the current structure. I just want two things. Higher difficulty from the get-go and skip able tutorial. After playing FE: Awakening, skip able tutorial is a godsend.

eXistor

Yeah I find it hard to find fault with the op's description. It's pretty much what I had in mind for a long time for the series. I doubt Nintendo is ever gonna make that game though, they're gonna do what they wanna do and that's fine too; just about all Zelda games have been magnificent in their own way.

If I were to give Nintendo a few simple guidelines, I'd say:

-Less handholding: let players find things out themselves. Miiverse is the perfect excuse to allow this.

-Open up the world: I want that sense of adventure and discovery back. Don't make it like Elder Scrolls obviously, but give players the sense that they're on they're out on their own, discovering things. You just can't get that with a linear game as Skyward Sword proved (which I love btw).

-Day-night cycle: It's been too long since we had a proper day-night cycle in Zelda. Make it meaningful too, not just aesthetic.

-Optional tutorial area: When you first start the game you're given an option: tutorial area or skip straight to the game. If you choose the tutorial, you'll be given a completely unique area to play around in, with the game teaching you the basics. Anyone will want to play this as it's unique content, so everyone is likely to play it and learn about the game, but this way no one can fault the game for having a tutorial as it's entirely optional. On subsequent playthroughs, you can just opt to skip it entirely, which should help the pace tremendously.

-Tools should be found all over the world, (not just dungeons) and sequence breaks should be allowed for expert players: I'd love it if we could have a world where certain tools and such are available from the start, you just have to know where to look. Say you get a sidequest and at the end of it, you get a new tool, but if you restart the game, you could just skip the quest and get right to where the tool is and get it. A game like Fallout 1 is a great example of how this could work; the waterchip you have to get can be gotten very quickly if you know what to do and where to look. But on your first playthrough you'll have to do various quests and progress the story a bunch to get to know the location.

I have 100% faith in Nintendo and I'm sure the next Zelda will be great, but if they could implement these things into it at all, or even just a few or to a certain degree, I would be in heaven.

If this is what you want from a Zelda game, then you do not want a Zelda game.

It sounds like a great game, but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for it to be a Zelda game. Why can't it just be its own game? Why don't you ask for this in a Dark Souls game instead?

If this is what you want from a Zelda game, then you do not want a Zelda game.

It sounds to me like OP wants a closer sequel to this game:

AESCV.jpg

But of course one that's in the OoT-style 3D with things like day/night cycles.

culafia

A Link Between Worlds is everything the OP wanted, other than challenging (unless you play on Hero mode).

ALBW is insanely easy by any metric and isn't a 3D Zelda.

The only reason that game doesn't hold your hand is because it's too easy for that to be necessary.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I guess anyone with a brain can't disagree with the OP.

The Zelda team simply can't keep on regurgitating the same shit. The franchise needs to be overhauled big time.

I should have my skull checked, since I've just been told there might be something missing in there oO.

- I don't want the next Zelda to copy the first game's structure, that's annoying and not good game design.
- I don't want complete randomness in dungeon-order. It will lead to a very bad difficulty curve. A Link Between Worlds had a three-tier-system and even that was not without the obvious difficulty-problems
- time cycle ala Majoras Mask is nice, but seven days is overdoing it and leads to a lot of senseless filler and more trial-and-error than MM has anyway.
- I don't want the focus to shift towards fighting, so making the game brutally difficult would either mean designing completely different dungeons for easy mode, or destroying the balance of the game. I'd love a normal game (say SS-level of difficulty) and a hard mode that uniformly makes the puzzles and the fights more difficult.
- I don't want any online-features that are not absolutely optional and superficial in any game, especially in Zelda

dan2026

I want a Zelda akin to the feeling when you first leave the vault in Fallout 3.

Basically, you leave your house, you have a sword, you have a shield, pick a direction to walk. ADVENTURE!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
sounds great right up until 'make the game brutally difficult but maybe put 'baby hand holding mode' in for filthy casuals'

how about make the game fun for the most number of people and put a hard mode in if that's what tickles you

KDR_11k

Seeing stuff in the distance sounds like 3D. I absolutely don't want to combine 3D Zelda with hard combat, I dislike combat in those games enough already.

Clefargle

sounds great right up until 'make the game brutally difficult but maybe put 'baby hand holding mode' in for filthy casuals'

how about make the game fun for the most number of people and put a hard mode in if that's what tickles you

I agree, just include the tickly hard mode from the outset. Don't make me beat it on filthy casual mode first.

Hindle

Banned
Actually Metroid puts a lot of blocks who require certain power-ups to pass, much like items are used in exploration in 2D Zelda

I'm thinking they could make dungeons easier if you have the right item, but that item isn't required to proceed through the game. You will face a harder challenge without the right equipment though.

The only reason that game doesn't hold your hand is because it's too easy for that to be necessary.

Nintendo seems less concerned that players will struggle with controls in a 2D game. Having watched non-gamers attempt Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time in sequence, I can't say that's a totally unfounded attitude. But even if Nintendo feels a need for more "teaching" in a 3D game, that's no reason for the extreme handholding that has infected the series. If you've got a safe zone for the player to experiment with the controls and basic game concepts, that should be enough. Let players pick up sword fighting, auto-jumping, rolling, etc. on their own from there (or go to a guide house if they're really lost). Kokiri Forest was a pretty comprehensive tutorial in OoT, and an experienced player could run through it in five minutes. Even a newbie probably reaches the Deku Tree in fifteen to twenty minutes.

I want a linear, tightly crafted zelda game with items found in dungeons and the progression like it was in OoT with a splash of freedom from MM.

No open world.
No dark souls influences.
No brutal difficulty.
No more story exposition than what we are used to.

One thing I agree with OP, skippable tutorials yes pls.

This is how I feel as well. I loved A Link Between Worlds, but I wouldn't want every Zelda to be just like that. The dungeons were pretty good, but due to the fact that you could do the dungeons in most any order meant the puzzles were only made to use 1 item and there was no real difficulty curve. It seems like recently, everyone wants every game to be open world and that automatically makes everything better, but I disagree completely. I actually don't mind the linear progression of previous 3D Zelda games and in fact, prefer it in a lot of cases.

Having a brutal difficulty is fine as long as it's just a "hard/hero" mode version, but I'd like for it to also completely change the puzzles. Seems like a lot of extra work for just another difficulty setting, so I don't know how likely that would happen.

I think one thing everyone can agree on is the skippable tutorial stuff. At the very least, let you skip it on later playthroughs.

Gsnap

This is how I feel as well. I loved A Link Between Worlds, but I wouldn't want every Zelda to be just like that. The dungeons were pretty good, but due to the fact that you could do the dungeons in most any order meant the puzzles were only made to use 1 item and there was no real difficulty curve.

Can't agree with that. I think we can simply blame developer choice for not using more than 1 item per dungeon. It's not a gameplay restraint inherent to that type of design. You can rent all the items and have them all before you even go to the first Lorule dungeon, so in theory they could easily require you to use more than one item per dungeon.

Can't agree with that. I think we can simply blame developer choice for not using more than 1 item per dungeon. It's not a gameplay restraint inherent to that type of design. You can rent all the items and have them all before you even go to the first Lorule dungeon, so in theory they could easily require you to use more than one item per dungeon.

Hmm, this is very true. I could understand why they didn't do it for the first 3 dungeons to keep things a bit simple and ease newcomers into the game, but I'm curious why none of the other dungeons required multiple items to enter them. That would have been pretty cool if it worked out like that.

I guess anyone with a brain can't disagree with the OP.

The Zelda team simply can't keep on regurgitating the same shit. The franchise needs to be overhauled big time.
I wouldn't say a big overhaul, but something different, sure. I think the constant safe road can only last so long. It's been in play so long(since OoT) that Zelda fans can't help to believe it's the ONLY way. I think there's more you can do, as far as exploration, action-battles, tactics and such that can be injected into the LoZ formula to make something REALLY awesome. If not now, then never, I guess.

Seeing stuff in the distance sounds like 3D. I absolutely don't want to combine 3D Zelda with hard combat, I dislike combat in those games enough already.
I think this is a big part of what I don't care about in 3D LoZ games. I'd say, up the "fun combat" aspect, not make it harder, but make it feel more rewarding and fun to do. Up the ante as far as this is concerned. Oddly enough, I see the Musou Zelda game(Hyrule Warriors?) and seeing Link go crazy... THAT looks fuckin fun. I wouldn't say make Link THAT over-the-top, but something above what we already have, sure.

Huh?

Neo Member
I don't think anyone's saying they can't change it at all, speaking personally I just don't want it to become Skyrim or GTA with more green tunics.

I really enjoyed the concepts ALBW explored, and I'd like to see some of them implemented in the new Zelda, just not to the same extent. ALBW suffered from (very good) easy dungeons due to only requiring a single item. That said, the non-linearity of the overworld created the best pacing of any game ever, which I would love to see translated into a 3D Zelda.

Personally I think this would be a good way of comprising between the classic formula and ALBW:

//COMPLETLY OPTIONAL\ tutorial
Story/Exposition stuff
Dungeons 1-3 done in any order
Story
Dungeons 4-6 in any order
Story
Dungeons 7-9 in any order
Ganon's castle or equivalent

Link could start with bombs, arrows, and boomerang to get through the first three dungeons. Unlike ALBW, each dungeon will have it's own item, so dungeons 4-6 will be able to make use of six of them and 7-9 will be able to use nine.

I think this formula would give people the freedom they want from the series while maintaining the tight design we've come to expect. Of course, the final game will be nothing like this, but it's nice to dream.

Vibranium

Banned
More real sidequests would be really cool too, it'd be neat to do really varied stuff outside of dungeons (which would advance the main story). You could have the outside activities provide backstory and useful paths/items.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The OP's ideas are damn near perfect. I lost all hope in the Zelda franchise until I played A Link Between Worlds, and now that I know they're capable of making a Zelda game I can be truly excited about, my anticipation for the Wii U Zelda is through the roof.

zoukka

But it would be very frustrating to advance in a dungeon, only to find later that you need to trek back to get a missing item from the rental. To an average gamer at least...

Where is that Skyrim'ish Zelda fan art(snow temple thing) when you need it.

whatever they do I hope they get as far away from TP's world design as possible, corridors everywhere.

But it would be very frustrating to advance in a dungeon, only to find later that you need to trek back to get a missing item from the rental. To an average gamer at least...

Well you could just do what ALBW did and require all the items to enter the dungeon in the first place. So you wouldn't have to progress in the dungeon to find out you needed something else - you'd have to have that item to even start the dungeon. I mean, I know ALBW only required 1 item to enter the dungeon, but if they expanded on that idea, they could make it require 2-3 items to enter certain dungeons so puzzles could be more complicated.

I have enjoyed every single Zelda game i've played so far so all would ask of the developer is for them to do what they think is best.

Everyone is happy.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have enjoyed every single Zelda game i've played so far so all would ask of the developer is for them to do what they think is best.

Everyone is happy.
We've had 15 years of the Ocarina of Time formula, and I don't want anymore. Ever. I'm so sick of it.

RagnarokX

We've had 15 years of the Ocarina of Time formula, and I don't want anymore. Ever. I'm so sick of it.

What would you say is the Ocarina of Time formula? Can you describe it or is it just something that doesn't actually exist or is completely meaningless to use as a scapegoat. I'm not saying that the games do not have actual problems, but that the "formula" excuse that people keep using is bullshit.

Basic Zelda gameplay is going to dungeons, getting items, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies. Those are the basic things that make Zelda Zelda. Those are what every Zelda has in common because that's what they need to have in order to be Zelda. The games have all presented a great variety for all of the basic elements and introduced new elements in every installment. Every game has something very unique about it that sets it apart from the rest of the franchise. Every game comes up with new dungeons with new puzzles and new enemies and new tactics. The worlds themselves even differ vastly from one another, apart from ALBW.

Sometimes it feels like the complaints are just automatic and people don't take the time to do a proper analysis. Skyward Sword with people complaining about "forced tutorials" is a prime example. People complained about the cat rescue that you don't even have to do and the sword practice that you don't even have to do. Fi even gives you the option of skipping her tutorials on mechanics that she introduces. Skyward Sword introduces a lot of new mechanics that the franchises hasn't had before, they have to put in tutorials, but they did make them optional.

I just want a Zelda game featuring this guy:

Its funny... All the time I've seen this character.. loved the design, praised the texturing and modeling and style..... WTF is up with that left hand!? Reminds me of some of my older models that I look at and just think 'wow... really... I missed that'

V AA D E R

Neo Member
When people say open world for Zelda how do they define it? Like a GTA open world with lots visually going on but it's all flash/no substance? A Mass Effect open world that really isn't all that open? Or a Skyrim open world that's less pretty and has way less going on but is chock full of meaningful interaction?

Neiteio

When people say open world for Zelda how do they define it? Like a GTA open world with lots visually going on but it's all flash/no substance? A Mass Effect open world that really isn't all that open? Or a Skyrim open world that's less pretty and has way less going on but is chock full of meaningful interaction?
It means being able to tackle the dungeons in practically any order. More than a year after I made this thread, ALBW came out and did something very close to what I suggested.

I think it'd be even better if they did exactly as I suggested -- rather than renting the starting toolkit, just give it to players permanently from the start, and design all of the dungeons around all of the tools (but some would focus more on one tool than another). And then inside each dungeon, you can find a new item that factors into that dungeon, certain optional areas in the overworld, and the final dungeon where every tool is used.

But the key thing is your starting toolkit will allow you to access virtually all of the dungeons from the onset... provided you can find them by exploring the overworld. Which is where the element of adventure and exploration comes back, as ALBW proved. And since the game knows you'll have, say, six tools guaranteed, rather than one, it can make the puzzles that much more complex.

Of course, if one dungeon is too tough, you can try another and come back later when you have more Pieces of Heart, etc. And of course, each dungeon can have neighboring locales and NPCs with their own storylines, etc, which give meaning to each new dungeon you challenge beyond simply finding it on a map.

zeldablue

Honestly...
I think they're referring to the original Legend of Zelda.

I'd be interesting if there were no maps in the new Zelda's over world. Everything had to be drawn by the player, and you can compare and sell maps to people on miiverse. Hmmm...

The Boat

What would you say is the Ocarina of Time formula? Can you describe it or is it just something that doesn't actually exist or is completely meaningless to use as a scapegoat. I'm not saying that the games do not have actual problems, but that the "formula" excuse that people keep using is bullshit.

Basic Zelda gameplay is going to dungeons, getting items, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies. Those are the basic things that make Zelda Zelda. Those are what every Zelda has in common because that's what they need to have in order to be Zelda. The games have all presented a great variety for all of the basic elements and introduced new elements in every installment. Every game has something very unique about it that sets it apart from the rest of the franchise. Every game comes up with new dungeons with new puzzles and new enemies and new tactics. The worlds themselves even differ vastly from one another, apart from ALBW.

Sometimes it feels like the complaints are just automatic and people don't take the time to do a proper analysis. Skyward Sword with people complaining about "forced tutorials" is a prime example. People complained about the cat rescue that you don't even have to do and the sword practice that you don't even have to do. Fi even gives you the option of skipping her tutorials on mechanics that she introduces. Skyward Sword introduces a lot of new mechanics that the franchises hasn't had before, they have to put in tutorials, but they did make them optional.
Shhh you're being too logical.

Falcs

Banned
I want it to be difficult for a change. I want to die at least a few times during the game! Zelda games are so damn easy.

Y'know how the save file screen always shows all the end-dungeon objective-items (in this case
the sage portraits
you've got as a means of recording progress? It was so weird to load up my ALBW file today and see that the first dungeon I beat out of the second group wasn't the first on the list.

Edit: And I've definitely died a couple times.

Gsnap

I agree. Which is why I think they should keep the "all items, any order" design of LBW, but get rid of the rental system. Make some way to get the player every major item early on so they know they have every item and always will. Then they can really design dungeons around more than one item at a time. Would be interesting.

Neiteio

I agree. Which is why I think they should keep the "all items, any order" design of LBW, but get rid of the rental system. Make some way to get the player every major item early on so they know they have every item and always will. Then they can really design dungeons around more than one item at a time. Would be interesting.
Yep, that's been the core of my proposal since 2012. Everyone starts the game with a core starting toolkit -- sword, shield, bow, bombs, boomerang, hookshot, net and lantern. Give or take a few items, with more items to be found in dungeons. But that core toolkit of 6-8 items will be in your inventory at all times, right from the start, and this will allow the devs to design the dungeons accordingly.

What results are more complex dungeons, which you can still do in any order. Different dungeons will focus more on different items, but you'll always have what you need to start off each dungeon.

Honestly...
I think they're referring to the original Legend of Zelda.

I'd be interesting if there were no maps in the new Zelda's over world. Everything had to be drawn by the player, and you can compare and sell maps to people on miiverse. Hmmm...

Wow that's an amazing idea.

Yep, that's been the core of my proposal since 2012. Everyone starts the game with a core starting toolkit -- sword, shield, bow, bombs, boomerang, hookshot, net and lantern. Give or take a few items, with more items to be found in dungeons. But that core toolkit of 6-8 items will be in your inventory at all times, right from the start, and this will allow the devs to design the dungeons accordingly.

What results are more complex dungeons, which you can still do in any order. Different dungeons will focus more on different items, but you'll always have what you need to start off each dungeon.

Or you can keep the rental system and just have paths leading to dungeons that require 2 or 3 items to enter.

ramparter

Banned
I WANT: The next Zelda game for Wii U to be announced by a trailer starting with a black screen and an epic voice saying: "It's dangerous to go alone".

Maybe not the whole game but they could do an uncharted territory.

Darmani

Neo Member
You know what Zelda game I want more than anything? What Nintendo should have done last year?

Zelda, more than any other franchise in gaming, means something different to literally every single person that plays it. The creators even play on that, and was a big focus of the 25th anniversary push last year. To some, it's the exploration, others the combat, some the puzzles, some the quirky world.

Nintendo should have taken $100,000,000USD, split it ten ways, and given $10mm to ten different devs and let them make whatever mini-Zelda they want, and compile them on one disc. Aonuma loosely ties them all together with an overarching story, they call it "The Legends of Zelda" boom cashmoney.

• Koizumi makes a weird ass experimental Zelda
  • Sakurai makes a fast paced multiplayer action Zelda
  • Squeenix makes a JRPG
  • Bethesda does an open world Hyrule
  • From Software gives us a Zelda 2 sequel

etc, you would literally please everyone this way

Damn That;s a good idea from a banned man

Top Bottom