• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to bring my son up on the NES/SNES/etc...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
HYDE said:
I have a son who plays games actively since a year old, and he is at a 5th grade reading level in the 2nd grade. Your post just lost all relevance.

Congratulations, he's already almost at the average nationwide reading level of adults in the US!

I grew up playing games from about two and I remember playing Fester's Quest when I was three. Played before that, don't have the memories though. I was always ahead of my classmates throughout school and I even ended up scoring almost perfectly on my GED...

HYDE

Banned
xelios said:
Congratulations, he's already almost at the average nationwide reading level of adults in the US!

I grew up playing games from about two and I remember playing Fester's Quest when I was 3. Played before that, don't have the memories though. I was always ahead of my classmates throughout school and I even ended up scoring almost perfectly on my GED...

But I bet you're still a virgin like Oatmeal said. ;)

xelios

HYDE said:
But I bet you're still a virgin like Oatmeal said. ;)

No, but I'm gay. Your son will be gay and a dropout.

Just kidding, I hope.

P.S. Don't make him take piano lessons. Trust me!

kevinski

Banned
I don't understand the point in bringing him up on older video games as a means of getting him to appreciate them when you're clearly omitting some really important consoles. I mean, where are the Atari and Sega consoles?

oatmeal

Banned
kevinski said:
I don't understand the point in bringing him up on older video games as a means of getting him to appreciate them when you're clearly omitting some really important consoles. I mean, where are the Atari and Sega consoles?

Sorry, I forgot to add good to the title.

Jeff Chen said:
My son is 13 months old and I don't see a light that he would be able to hold a controller correctly by his 24th month.

11 months is a lot of development.

He could be getting laid by then.

HYDE

Banned
Jeff Chen said:
My son is 13 months old and I don't see a light that he would be able to hold a controller correctly by his 24th month.

Hell if you can't see light, how the hell is he gonna do anything? I kid, i kid.
Oh, and what Oatmeal said.

Xint

I tried to get my four-year-old daughter to play my old NES/SNES-games. But man...those kids at kindergarten, they bullied the shit out of her for playing old games. A friend of her came over once and they played Super Mario Bros. She cried when she left. Now nobody wants to play with my daughter anymore. And her two-year-old brother who sometimes play with us? Well, he's pretty much a vegetable after being exposed to videogames at such a tender age.

So to OP, this is clearly not a good idea!

oatmeal

Banned
Xint said:
I tried to get my four-year-old daughter to play my old NES/SNES-games. But man...those kids at kindergarten, they bullied the shit out of her for playing old games. A friend of her came over once and they played Super Mario Bros. She cried when she left. Now nobody wants to play with my daughter anymore. And her two-year-old brother who sometimes play with us? Well, he's pretty much a vegetable after being exposed to videogames at such a tender age.

So to OP, this is clearly not a good idea!

Looks like someone is going to have to adopt children.

;)

alphaNoid

Banned
Why the hell would you force a child to do anything, let alone play old ass games? Let the kid have his childhood and enjoy what he enjoys, could you imagine if your old man tried to force you to manually lathe and build shit from hand, or whatever his hobby was? You'd hate him.

Let your kid be a kid, and like what he likes. If he wants a Playstation 3 or iPhone first to game on... shit man, get him that.

alphaNoid said:
Why the hell would you force a child to do anything, let alone play old ass games? Let the kid have his childhood and enjoy what he enjoys, could you imagine if your old man tried to force you to manually lathe and build shit from hand, or whatever his hobby was? You'd hate him.

Let your kid be a kid, and like what he likes. If he wants a Playstation 3 or iPhone first to game on... shit man, get him that.
I think a 2 year old would just want to play what daddy plays. They will never be able to tell or even care how old or new something is. Starting them off on something multiplayer and non self scrolling, like Streets of Rage or Contra with the 30 man code would be a great idea and a lot of fun for the both of you once he gets the hang of it.

LogicStep

I would say, you play around your kid so he sees you and maybe get interested. But I think it would be better to just get your kid a new console so he can play what his friends and every other kid is playing, you know, to be up to date. He might see the value and interesting aspect of the old school games and maybe want to try them out when compared to his brand new Call of Duty experiences.

oatmeal

Banned
zazrx said:
I would say, you play around your kid so he sees you and maybe get interested. But I think it would be better to just get your kid a new console so he can play what his friends and every other kid is playing, you know, to be up to date. He might see the value and interesting aspect of the old school games and maybe want to try them out when compared to his brand new Call of Duty experiences.

Did you have a lot of water cooler talk at age 2?

Please, just let him play F-Zero on SNES (or on Wii VC), I wish I had done so when I was a kid. I played it for the first time this week on a vacation, and it replaced my vacation. Best arcade racer I have played EVER, without exaggeration or hyperbole.

I always wanted to see two things in arcade racers:
1. Clean graphics
2. Requiring driving skills.

I haven't seen anything as clear looking as F-Zero, and what I love about the distraction of the racing, is that they test your driving skills, that is they ask you not to get out of the track, to be able to turn perfectly, etc, and they require you to be in perfect control of maneuvering your racing car.

Enco

Sounds pretty silly to me.

Really unnecessary. Instead you should try and play with him games that involved no screen. Leave the gaming for when he's older. Even if you wanted him to game early on, no need to go all the way back.

oatmeal

Banned
Enco said:
Sounds pretty silly to me.

Really unnecessary. Instead you should try and play with him games that involved no screen. Leave the gaming for when he's older. Even if you wanted him to game early on, no need to go all the way back.

Games with no screen?

What the fuck does that mean?

what a stupid idea. seriously.
your dad didn't give you a cathode ray gaming device to play with, did he?
get him an xbox with xbla. he can experience classic 2d gameplay with modern graphics and gameplay upgrades.

oatmeal said:
Games with no screen?

What the fuck does that mean?
you serious? jesus
card and board games of course. kids these days ;)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Some of you guy's responses are a little strange to me. He didn't say anything about the older games being the only thing he'd let his kid play, he just said he'd start him out on those games at the age of 2.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but NES games can be horribly tough.

I got my hands on a Nintendo when it came out in 1985. I was 6 years old, and it was my cousins. I hadn't played much Atari before that (Pac Man, Pitfall, etc), but I remember falling in love with Super Mario Bros, but also how hard it was.

2 seems a bit young for an old school Mario. When my niece and nephew were 2, I let them play Super Mario Sunshine on my Gamecube. They didn't know the particulars of the game, but eventually they figured out how to get Mario to run around a little bit, and spray his water gun. They enjoyed the reactions of the townspeople when they'd get splashed by Mario's water cannon. It never progressed beyond that, in terms of them becoming gaming prodigies at 2 years old.

I plan on introducing my kids to old school gaming as well, but they'll probably be playing more current stuff as well. Just like not all of us can appreciate some of the things our parents loved as a kid, I don't expect my kids to love old school gaming like I did. For them, they may get a kick out of it because it's "interactive history," but I doubt they'll be like, "Wow, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the greatest game ever."

Of course, if they don't like Chrono Trigger (which will be mandatory gaming in my house), then I'm disowning them...

aktham

I would just let him be. I discovered videogames on my own. I discovered sports on my own. The only thing that felt forced was good grades and obedience (which is typical for parents). My parents are against videogames till this day, but they still bought me systems/games for me as rewards and presents.

Enco

oatmeal said:
You think I'm going to let my kid be a boardgame loser?

Guess again!
:lol that actually made me laugh

I guess you also have the option to play outside with him or just the good 'ol airplane game.

Retro

This may have been stated already (since it's pretty obvious), but if a kid sees Dad having a blast playing Mega Man or Mario, he'll want to play too. Kids are fucking clingy sponges, they'll latch on to whatever you do and try to emulate it until they reach that shitty age where classmates / media start to push them to think of their parents as lame.

oatmeal

Banned
Enco said:
:lol that actually made me laugh

I guess you also have the option to play outside with him or just the good 'ol airplane game.

I'm intrigued by this concept of 'outside'.

To Wikipedia!!!

HYDE said:
I have a son who plays games actively since a year old, and he is at a 5th grade reading level in the 2nd grade. Your post just lost all relevance.
I genuinely have no concept of how a 1 year old child can play games. Seriously. Every 1 year old I've ever met doesn't have the motor skills to hold a controller and play a game properly. They can barely sit still to watch TV. Toys aimed at 1 year olds are those things where you put shapes into holes. How does it work, playing actual games? What sort of thing did they play?

oatmeal

Banned
whatevermort said:
I genuinely have no concept of how a 1 year old child can play games. Seriously. Every 1 year old I've ever met doesn't have the motor skills to hold a controller and play a game properly. How does it work?

It's an attraction similar to magnets.

suzu

If you play the games with them, they'll probably enjoy it. I wouldn't restrict it to old stuff only though.

oatmeal

Banned
scar tissue said:
Well, I take it you want your kid to be a NES loser, so...
board and card games are timeless. the NES is not.

I don't remember this site being called "BOARDGAME AGES".

Shows what I know.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Yah, I'm sure giving the kid your pair of rose tinted glasses will be great. Man alive they're just videogames. Who cares what people play.

oatmeal

Banned
lethial said:
Yah, I'm sure giving the kid your pair of rose tinted glasses will be great. Man alive they're just videogames. Who cares what people play.
dur.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
son is 2.5 years old

he loves the ipad and will happily play puzzle/jigsaw games on that. There's a museum of retro games on our 3rd floor but i suspect he's going to be completely disinterested.

Only next gen stuff he has actively tried are Child of Eden, Wipeout HD, Rhythm Tengoku Wii and Ampanman Wii

Of those, he -actually- plays Ampanman, the others are just way to ahead of him - as would NES/SNES games at this point in time.

Ramma2

We have a 360 and Wii which the kids play maybe once a week, not a ton of interest there. But every now and then I break out the bin with my NES and 50 games and hook that up to the big screen and we play that together for hours.

Sure I out score them 20 to 1 and make them cry when we play Ice Hockey but that is my right and privilege as their father. Yes I smack them silly in Battletoads and break the second pipe in Level 1, but lets not forget the orange drink they spilled in my car. And of course I beat their caveman senseless while building a roaring fire in Caveman Games but dammit I've lost days of sleep for those punks so they deserve it.

Getting to do that stuff with them is great. Make it something that they enjoy and want to do, not something they learn to hate.

xelios

Ramma2 said:
Sure I out score them 20 to 1 and make them cry when we play Ice Hockey but that is my right and privilege as their father. Yes I smack them silly in Battletoads and break the second pipe in Level 1, but lets not forget the orange drink they spilled in my car. And of course I beat their caveman senseless while building a roaring fire in Caveman Games but dammit I've lost days of sleep for those punks so they deserve it.

This brought back memories. My dad used to make me play some baseball game with him on NES so he could beat me, because he couldn't beat the AI.

Ramma2

xelios said:
This brought back memories. My dad used to make me play some baseball game with him on NES so he could beat me, because he couldn't beat the AI.

I guess one benefit of growing up with games is that I can beat them at any game, any system. They're 9 and 5.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
oatmeal said:
I come from a long line of bad fathers and I wanted to continue this trend by forcing my son (who is due out any day now) to spend all of his youth harnessed to an NES controller. I figure it will teach him discipline as he goes through school seeing all of the other kids talking about games like Call of Duty 12 and Halo 18, while he's stuck playing dad's copy of Balloon Fight.

I read in a magazine somewhere that if you give your child an hour of sunlight per day, he is still able to develop fully. There were some side effects, but nothing to write home about.

So what do you think GAF?

Is this a good idea? Bad idea?

I know, I know, kids will probably make fun of him and he will likely die a virgin, but...I mean...it's whatever I want for him right? He's basically a glorified Barbie.

I know for a fact I myself would rather play Balloon Fight than any COD or Halo games :p

Definitely gonna introduce my kid to the classics.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
Pazuzu9 said:
SMB is timeless. It is as good an introduction to gaming today as it was in 1985. Go for it.

My son just turred 4 and I got him a DS. I tried a few crap games and a few good games to see what he would be drawn to.
Guess what he likes?

New Super Mario Bros.

Hes is totally hooked. Hes on world 5 already. (mostly by himself)
Thats insane for just turning 4 imo...

I also have a Wii and spent a few points on some VC games a while back. I have the NES Mario on there and he loves it.
He tried Galaxy and 64 but the 3D I think is too much for him right now. He prefers the sidescrollers. (This makes me really happy for some reason lol)
I also bought New Super Mario for the Wii because of him and we play it together...
He tries his hardest not to bubble, but some parts are just too hard. We are on world 7 at the moment. I only play with him though or I would be done with it already.

To the OP, I would say let your kid try some older games on current hardware. Wii/VC.
My son loves it and I havent even thought of what to have him try next.
He likes the old sonic games too...

Top Bottom