• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i was driving home drunk then saw some sirens woo woo thats thread backfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pimpwerx said:
The legal system has done far more to that guy than any insult or ban on this forum will.

And it clearly hasn't worked.

Seriously, he clearly posted this to provoke a reaction. Over on 4Chan he might be hailed a hero, but anywhere else he is fucking stupid.

Macam

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Wow! Another thread where the righteous and mighty gather to throw stones at the sinning heathen. Meh. The legal system has done far more to that guy than any insult or ban on this forum will. It's a little funny b/c if you've ever driven home after drinking (either a lot or a little), chances are you've driven while over the legal limit. There are some people who exercise great care with it, but for the most part, people just think that since they're clear-headed, they are safe to drive. The legal limit is deceptively low. PEACE.

You're generally a bit more sensible, but don't even try to defend Hydro_Alexis' idiocy here. Drunk driving is dangerous and reprehensible, no if's, and's or but's. PEACE.

Fireblend

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Wow! Another thread where the righteous and mighty gather to throw stones at the sinning heathen. Meh. The legal system has done far more to that guy than any insult or ban on this forum will. It's a little funny b/c if you've ever driven home after drinking (either a lot or a little), chances are you've driven while over the legal limit. There are some people who exercise great care with it, but for the most part, people just think that since they're clear-headed, they are safe to drive. The legal limit is deceptively low. PEACE.
Wow, defending him is almost as stupid as what he did. The legal limit is deceptively low? Being drunk, be it because he had only a few drinks or whatever endangers him and others around him; I couldn't care less about what happens to an irresponsible asshole though. And it's pretty obvious he hasn't learned anything; I'm glad this time his ban is permanent. As open as GAF is, putting other people in very real danger and then bragging about it like it's another funny story is completely off-limits.

In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

16,005 people were killed in the United States in alcohol-related motor vehicle traffic crashes (BAC of .01 or higher).

In 2006, 1,794 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle crashes. Of those 1,794 fatalities, 306 (17%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Children riding in vehicles with drivers who had a BAC level of .08 or higher accounted for half (153) of these deaths.

Crisis

Banned
Pimpwerx said:

So what if the legal system did more to punish him? Are we supposed to reward him and pat him on the back for a job well done? You can toss out your hypothetical situations if you'd like to make yourself feel better for probably doing the same thing but you're still a fucking idiot for defending the actions. PEACE.

White Man

EviLore said:
Total deja vu...oh, yeah, I banned him for the same thread six months ago. Pretty smart dude, coming in here again six months later to brag about how he's an alpha male.

Does this mean you were the one that screwed up his tag, too,
master
?

Pimpwerx, there's nothing wrong with getting drunk. Knowingly getting behind the wheel when you yourself feel that you're impaired, that's the height of arrogance and disregard for human life. It's an unnecessary risk that you are willing to take, that you're passing along to every other driver and pedestrian that happens to be on the road that evening. How is that fair?

My mom and godmother were nearly killed in a car accident that totaled my family's minivan back in '92...caused by drunk driver who came careening over a divider at 1AM. They both still walk with limps.

So no, I'm not okay with it, and if it ever comes down to deciding between my right to live and your privilege to drive, life wins every time. So piss off with the rationalization.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I got arrested for a DWI in March. I had about 3 beers, and went home about 2 hours after I finished the third beer.

I was driving home, with my friend in the passanger and another in the back seat. Then, suddenly, my friend has to puke. With no bag in the car, or any sort of recepticle whatsoever, I reluctantly pulled over.

My friend puked there for about 3 minutes, until suddenly a cop pulled over. This took place on the highway btw. The officer doesn't even check to make sure my friend was OK, and he never even identified him, but my friend said that he was drinking that night -- so the officer quickly suspected me of doing the same. I didn't lie, I told him I drank 2 or 3 beers, but he quickly pulled me out of the vehicle. He issued some tests, like standing on one foot (as cars wiz by at 65mph about 3 feet from me), and I feel I did so successfully, because I was on each foot for about 25 seconds each time, balancing with one leg above the other knee. Then he had me to walk 10 paces, which I also did fine -- I wasn't even looking at my feet.

Then he just yelled at me and arrested me for DWI. Turns out I had an blood alcohol level of .05, which constitutes a charge for DWI. Bullshit, I say, since I'm already 20 years old and about 6'5", and I didn't even get pulled over for poor driving. But I guess thats the law, a simple game of numbers.

I had to pay out the ass for classes, fines and a lawyer. It's just stupid, I dont even like to drink and I wasn't even drunk. If I was 21, my legal limit would ahve been .08, and I would have gotten let off the hook. But because I'm 20, my legal limit was .02.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though. I should have just turned the car off, pulled the keys out of the ignition, and gotten out of the car. If an officer can't prove who's driving, he can't prove anyone's driving drunk. Bah. I just didn't expect my friend to puke there for 3 minutes straight...

Lhadatt

Badabing said:
I got arrested for a DWI in March. I had about 3 beers, and went home about 2 hours after I finished the third beer.

blah blah blah
Quit rationalizing it. You were driving and you had alcohol in your system. You're just as much a douchebag as the OP.

Yixian

Banned
B!TCH said:
You couldn't have been that drunk if you got away with it.

I like how you conveniently translate the slang you use effectively negating the purpose of using slang in the first place. If you were assuming we wouldn't understand what you were saying, why did you opt to include slang at all?

Because he's a chav and chavs think the entire world is in awe of their slang when in reality we grew out of that shit when we were 14.

What a prick.

Strange seeing this thread again after so long o_O

Hydro_Alexis said:
So what did i learn? You can get banned on gaf for mistakes you make in your real life as well as half the people who wanted to bitch about this whole ordeal are currently on a banned vaction. And i am sure some of you will be happy to hear that i no longer have my licence.

+1 happy.

Tim-E

Badabing said:

I was driving home, with my friend in the passanger and another in the back seat. Then, suddenly, my friend has to puke. With no bag in the car, or any sort of recepticle whatsoever, I reluctantly pulled over.

My friend puked there for about 3 minutes, until suddenly a cop pulled over. This took place on the highway btw. The officer doesn't even check to make sure my friend was OK, and he never even identified him, but my friend said that he was drinking that night -- so the officer quickly suspected me of doing the same. I didn't lie, I told him I drank 2 or 3 beers, but he quickly pulled me out of the vehicle. He issued some tests, like standing on one foot (as cars wiz by at 65mph about 3 feet from me), and I feel I did so successfully, because I was on each foot for about 25 seconds each time, balancing with one leg above the other knee. Then he had me to walk 10 paces, which I also did fine -- I wasn't even looking at my feet.

Then he just yelled at me and arrested me for DWI. Turns out I had an blood alcohol level of .05, which constitutes a charge for DWI. Bullshit, I say, since I'm already 20 years old and about 6'5", and I didn't even get pulled over for poor driving. But I guess thats the law, a simple game of numbers.

I had to pay out the ass for classes, fines and a lawyer. It's just stupid, I dont even like to drink and I wasn't even drunk. If I was 21, my legal limit would ahve been .08, and I would have gotten let off the hook. But because I'm 20, my legal limit was .02.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though. I should have just turned the car off, pulled the keys out of the ignition, and gotten out of the car. If an officer can't prove who's driving, he can't prove anyone's driving drunk. Bah. I just didn't expect my friend to puke there for 3 minutes straight...

Don't try to rationalize it. You drove with alcohol in your system regardless if you like to drink or not. You also drove drunk while being underage, which is an even worse idea. You endangered your own life, but more importantly the lives of everyone on the road and your friends. So, in conclusion, I hate you.

way more

Ha. If the keys are within 20 feet of the ignition they can charge you with a DUI. If you have too many beer and decide to sleep in off in your car make sure you leave the keys with the bartender because if the cops knock on your window and find you drunk you are busted.

With DUI's it's best to think of all the times you drove without being caught because the way they finally get you can often be bullshit.

You drove with alcohol in your system regardless if you like to drink or not. You also drove drunk while being underage, which is an even worse idea

I don't know if I could call a BAC of .05 drunk. Let's avoid any giving drunk drivers a point to negotiate with and just say driving with any amount of alcohol in your system is bad. If we start saying discussing how "drunk," they are it's just going to muddle the message.

Gaborn

Badabing said:

You're definitely not American, right? cause here it's pretty much zero tolerance if you're under 21 (aside from the fact it's illegal to sell alcohol to under 21 *wink wink* lol)

Fireblend

Banned
Badabing said:
I got arrested for a DWI in March.
Why can't people get it? I never found any trouble understanding the fact that drinking + driving = DON'T. FUCKING. DO. IT. Regardless of the circumstances, whether or not you think you're fine, your system is superior to everyone else's or whatever bullshit you can come up with. You were underage and had been drinking, you posed a danger then and the cops did the right thing.

Hey guys, he had 3 beers in him from 2 hours prior. The law has a reasonable limit of alcohol in your system for a reason, because you aren't immediately a danger after a few beers.

Get off his case about that, and get on him for being a retard and drinking before he was 21. That's the problem.

Gaborn

RiskyChris said:
Hey guys, he had 3 beers in him from 2 hours prior. The law has a reasonable limit of alcohol in your system for a reason, because you aren't immediately a danger after a few beers.

Get off his case about that, and get on him for being a retard and drinking before he was 21. That's the problem.

Not if he's not American it isn't. The US has the highest drinking age in the world, next closest is Japan at 20.

rs7k said:
Oh please. Use some common fucking sense here.

The average cellphone conversation isn't very long anyway, you can turn off your cellphone and drive like nothing happened. You can't "turn off" being drunk, that's where the whole argument falls apart.

calm down i could care less...
Don't drink & drive.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DAVIDHUXLEY said:
Don't drink & drive.

something is fishy about you DAVID... you and your 18 posts... hmmmm

first post in OT in 7 months :/

Nicktals

Banned
Sleeker said:
I don't quite understand the logic of justifying drink driving.

It seems to require a belief that being drunk repels all pedestrians and drivers one mile from your car while intoxicated, and that you'll always just glide from A to B despite your reflexes being fucked up.

My logic is that the only reason it has this stigma is because it's easily quantifiable, and is a HUGE moneymaker for the state. The goal of these laws is not to keep the roads safe, it's to increase income.

If they were worried about the roads, the legal age limit for driving would be 55 (forgot the exact age, but around there is when reflexes start noticably slowing down), cell phones, radios, and passengers would all be banned, and the speed limit would be a maximum of 45. The reason the last 3 things aren't banned is convenience. The reason people drive drunk is convenience.

Also, if they were that concerned about safety behind the wheel they would develop scientific ways of testing levels of drowsiness, and personal reflex levels.

Hypothetically, let's say I have better awareness and reflexes with a .10 BAC than a 75 year old man. Who's more dangerous behind the wheel?

If I could pass a driving test drunk, then isn't that all that should be required? I mean it's all we go on to verify if someone is safe enough to drive or not.

They aren't concerned with keeping the roads safe, they're concerned with the massive amounts of money they make off of the arrests. Otherwise, why not put that money towards some way of offering free rides to people who have drank in metropolitan areas?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DAVIDHUXLEY said:
Don't drink & drive.

So what could we say to make you care less at this time?

pulga

Banned
RiskyChris said:

18 in my part of the Americas. *happydance*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom