• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was thinking today about how my neighborhood parents used to act when I was a kid

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm in my mid 30's so my childhood was late 80's to mid 90's. We were punk kids like many of us were back then, so my crowd when I was young used to goof off, talk a lot of shit, make fun of neighborhood parents and such. Like say one of the dads on the block had a bald spot, we'd yell stuff from across the street or ride by on bikes or whatever making fun of their bald spot. Typical kid stuff. Just goofing off. I can't tell you how fucking pissed off the parents used to get. We used to have this inside joke nickname for one of the parents on our block, that only me and my friends knew and we used to yell it at one of the dads every once in a while. He was one of those really nosy dads who was a prick about everything. Like say we were throwing a football in the street, he'd call the cops just to be an ass saying we're going to break a window, when we never did. So we used to yell this little nickname at him every now and then and one time he got so damn angry he chased after us. Then a few weeks later he confronted me walking home from school saying "You're gonna get yours one day."

Then one time me and one of my friends were messing around with those pool noodle things and swinging them at each other and I accidentally popped my friend in the face and gave him a bloody nose and when I went over to apologize, his dad threw a rock at my face from his porch and just missed.

So many neighborhood parents were like this. Chasing kids and stuff, like even if during one of the winter one of the neighborhood kids hit a guy with a snowball or something.

And at the time I really didn't think anything of it, because I was a damn kid, you know? We're just thinking yeah we're being punk kids of course we're gonna ruffle some feathers. But just thinking back on it now. I could not imagine coming home from work and some 10 year old kid yelling something at me, and me even acknowledging it, let alone getting furious enough to chase him over it. If anything I'd find it humorous. And with social media today, imagine if that shit happened in 2018, a dad threw a rock at a kid, or confronted a kid after school and threatened him? 2018 culture would be furious about how unacceptable it is.

Did that kinda stuff happen in your neighborhoods when you were kids ? Does that kinda stuff still happen today, at least where you live? Maybe it does and I'm just not privy to that info anymore because I'm an adult now, but at least in the neighborhood I live in now, I don't see parents chasing kids around or yelling shit. Hell, no neighbors even know each other anymore really. Back then kids were playing in the street all day, now they're all on their computers, phones, and consoles. Was just reminiscing a bit earlier and it was something I thought about.

When I was a kid, my parents used to host parties for everyone in the neighborhood. They'd all put their keys in a bowl by the door when they showed up. Not sure why they did it, but it did make it easy for me to steal loose change from their glove compartments, so I ain't complaining.

When I was a kid, my parents used to host parties for everyone in the neighborhood. They'd all put their keys in a bowl by the door when they showed up. Not sure why they did it, but it did make it easy for me to steal loose change from their glove compartments, so I ain't complaining.

Are you serious or are you joking? Do you not know what a "key party" is?

You grab a key at random from that bowl and then go to the home to sleep with the person whose key you picked up, it's a form of wife swapping.

Your parents and their neighbors were all sleeping with each other.

Last edited:

plushyp

You grab a key at random from that bowl and then go to the home to sleep with the person whose key you picked up, it's a form of wife swapping.

This thread suddenly took an unexpected turn. Btw, I didn't know this was a thing either.

Despera

Banned
Yeah time's have changed and people don't feel the urge to interact with their neighbors as much now that they can keep in touch with friends/family 24/7.

But most importantly, how'd those key parties go? You remember which parent hooked up with who?

plushyp

Wait.

Omg it is an actual thing.

This one's for me:

1LVy.gif

SKM1

I don't understand. Didn't he mean car keys?

ChuyMasta

Hah hah hah. Now the scene on How the Grinch stole Christmass makes more sense!

Kid movies those days...

livestOne

ya the gen before genx and millenials, I mean its been well documented, was apparently the most violent to exist since we've been recording that sort of thing. I specifically remember growing up and every other adult past 30ish was rude, agitated and talking to me as if i was an adult who had insulted their mother. an entire gen of grumpy bill burrs.

Airola

I could not imagine coming home from work and some 10 year old kid yelling something at me, and me even acknowledging it, let alone getting furious enough to chase him over it. If anything I'd find it humorous.

That's what you say now. But when it happens, sure, you will brush it off as a humorous incident and the first night you are still kinda half-laughing about it, but the thought of kids mocking you starts to linger in your mind. Then they'll do it again. Again, you laugh. Sort of. A bit of awkwardness can be found in your laugh. At night you find yourself not really laughing that much, but you still try to brush it off as kids being kids. Then they'll do it again, again and again. You start to become self-aware of your supposed faults. And even if you think they're not really faults and you shouldn't be ashamed of anything, the thought of kids making mockery of you, ridiculing you, makes you think about it more and more, and more seriously.

The next time they do it, you actually feel a sting in your heart and emotions. You start to think they shouldn't do this to you. You are an adult. They are kids. They should show at least some respect for you just as you show respect of them being kids. But they don't, ever. And you know it because you were an asshole yourself back in the day. You know you continued to mock your neighbor even behind his back and you know they don't just mock you when you are around but they will talk about you other times too and they talk about you to their other friends. They mock you when they're at school. The mockery straight to your face is only the culmination point of the day after lots of ridiculing before the actual deed. You are despised and made fun of by a whole generation of younger people. You are the stupid old guy from the neighbor. You are the stupid old guy of the town.

And this is why God let the bears maul the kids to their deaths when they made mockery of an old man during the HC Old Testament days. There have always been older men saying "kids these days...." and they have always been right. "One day you'll get yours" was what the man told to you. It was not about him having a revenge. It was about him knowing that you will at one point too be ridiculed by asshole kids and you will also realize that those kids are an unstoppable force... unless you will do something about it. And that's when you will pick up the first rock from the ground, take a good look at it and raise your face awaiting... Awaiting for the moment the tide will turn and God will once again let nature let justice happen... in the form of your hand, a rock and a tremendous amount of projectile speed.

SKM1

That's what you say now. But when it happens, sure, you will brush it off as a humorous incident and the first night you are still kinda half-laughing about it, but the thought of kids mocking you starts to linger in your mind. Then they'll do it again. Again, you laugh. Sort of. A bit of awkwardness can be found in your laugh. At night you find yourself not really laughing that much, but you still try to brush it off as kids being kids. Then they'll do it again, again and again. You start to become self-aware of your supposed faults. And even if you think they're not really faults and you shouldn't be ashamed of anything, the thought of kids making mockery of you, ridiculing you, makes you think about it more and more, and more seriously.

The next time they do it, you actually feel a sting in your heart and emotions. You start to think they shouldn't do this to you. You are an adult. They are kids. They should show at least some respect for you just as you show respect of them being kids. But they don't, ever. And you know it because you were an asshole yourself back in the day. You know you continued to mock your neighbor even behind his back and you know they don't just mock you when you are around but they will talk about you other times too and they talk about you to their other friends. They mock you when they're at school. The mockery straight to your face is only the culmination point of the day after lots of ridiculing before the actual deed. You are despised and made fun of by a whole generation of younger people. You are the stupid old guy from the neighbor. You are the stupid old guy of the town.

And this is why God let the bears maul the kids to their deaths when they made mockery of an old man during the HC Old Testament days. There have always been older men saying "kids these days...." and they have always been right. "One day you'll get yours" was what the man told to you. It was not about him having a revenge. It was about him knowing that you will at one point too be ridiculed by asshole kids and you will also realize that those kids are an unstoppable force... unless you will do something about it. And that's when you will pick up the first rock from the ground, take a good look at it and raise your face awaiting... Awaiting for the moment the tide will turn and God will once again let nature let justice happen... in the form of your hand, a rock and a tremendous amount of projectile speed.

*laughs in christian*

Mom and dad were freaks, man

Top Bottom