• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I went through 134 pages of your NX news reactions to find all these dumb mockups

3HNbWjU.gif

psyfi

Banned
I'm still curious where the rumored scroll wheel could fit in. Or whether or not they'll use true analog sticks on a portable. I really don't want 3DS style nubs. I wonder if they'd try something totally different out, like newfangled fancy ass scroll balls, or Steam Controller track pads?

bart64

Banned
I would like to see one where the home setup has something on the second screen. It can easily be used to display screen cluttering info like weapon selection or scores.

RoKKeR

Thank you for compiling these. Very interesting stuff indeed, I'm really eager to see how Nintendo is going to approach this one.

I am definitely intrigued by the concept. A cheap, focused, and intuitive device that you can take on the go with a great catalogue of Nintendo games... For someone who hasn't owned a Nintendo system in quite some time, that might be enough to bring me back. I don't need something to sit alongside my current console, rather something that compliments it.

Jimrpg

Added ergonomics and portability. The thing has to be flat to fit in your pocket, and if you want proper ergonomics the controllers cant be flat. So you just detach the controllers (which aren't flat) and put them in your bag or whatever.

Well I think they can take the DS nub and buttons for a start and could probably reduce the excess height. They have done it before for the GBA mini and it was fine for portability.

psyfi

Banned
You missed mine:

nxfreeform.jpg

Controllers attach at top to form single screen.
Holy shit. Aside from it looking ridiculous while attached, this is a really cool idea. I really doubt there will be anything more than a stick and d-pad on the left and stick and four face buttons on the right, though. Plus triggers, of course.

RomanceDawn

Man some of these are cool! I really like those Microsoft looking things where the controller snaps on to the edge of the phone.

Oh please for the love of dog Nintendo make it look like a modern high tech device! Please please please!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Holy shit. Aside from it looking ridiculous while attached, this is a really cool idea. I really doubt there will be anything more than a stick and d-pad on the left and stick and four face buttons on the right, though. Plus triggers, of course.

This was based on the Sharp free form display tech that Nintendo was apparently researching.

I agree with the buttons as well. I put too many on. I'm thinking the actual controller will be the entire screen area with many of the buttons "virtual haptic" style.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
MEnRvgr.jpg

damn that's hot

So a Wii U gamepad?

It's a nice mock up but where's the portable feature of the controllers? Shouldn't each controller by nature have a screen if you want to take them with you? This looks like you'd only be able to detach the controls and buttons from the main screen?!

Neiteio

MEnRvgr.jpg

damn that's hot
Can you tweak this so that the stick and buttons on the right side are switched around? So that the right stick is on the bottom and the right buttons are on top, like the GCN pad? That way, you can detach either and they'll orient the same way, and the shoulder buttons can be housed on the top of each pad that attaches to the tablet (thus keeping them out of the way when they're attached).

psyfi

Banned
So a Wii U gamepad?

It's a nice mock up but where's the portable feature of the controllers? Shouldn't each controller by nature have a screen if you want to take them with you? This looks like you'd only be able to detach the controls and buttons from the main screen?!
Have you seen the Eurogamer rumors? It indicates detachable controllers, and they (and most others) are assuming the controllers don't have their own screens.

bman94

Oh God, the idea of a Nintendo console without a D-Pad rubs me the wrong way. Hell any gaming controller without a D-Pad.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hey come on, i did that to translate the words into image form. Thats not really a design concept based on the words :p

You missed mine:

nxfreeform.jpg

Controllers attach at top to form single screen.
I think it's gonna be something like this. But it will have two screens for one player DS style, then when it splits - each player gets a screen. Also aren't we expecting curved screens with buttons and possibly pad somehow within/around the screen itself?

Cartman86

Banned
Really curious to see the mechanism for the detachable parts. Would be cool if as you docked it the controllers became unlocked and you could just simply pull them off and then attach them together. Magnetics would be pretty slick though possibly not strong enough for children (would they even need to be stuck together to work?) No manual switches or anything (unless you had to for some reason).

psyfi

Banned
I think it's gonna be something like this. But it will have two screens for one player DS style, then when it splits - each player gets a screen. Also aren't we expecting curved screens with buttons and possibly pad somehow within/around the screen itself?
It's been rumored thanks to patents. Curved would definitely help with ergonomics, and the screen going around the buttons would help expand screen real estate (even if it's less useful around the buttons) while also keeping the form factor smaller. Plus it would just look cool as hell.

I really don't like the idea of having so many parts. I don't want to carry something around that might have the controls slide (or break) off. I can't wait to see what this thing actually is.

I'm hoping there's a good bit of misinformation, or miscommunication about some of this.

Metalmarc

image.jpg

My idea was something like this, the wikipad actually exists, but the NX i think will be a bit smaller, sleeker and better controls.

image.jpg

My idea was something like this, the wikipad actually exists, but the NX i think will be a bit smaller, sleeker and better controls.

As a Wikipad owner and one that followed the console ever since it was first announced, if Nintendo can pull it off it'll be pretty amazing. I have my doubts though and even the Wikipad is far from perfect, but we'll see.

Azoo

Neo Member
572025a96ed2a83146f6596d624d6a13.png

Here, let me just throw another one on here because, I mean, who even knows how two detachable pieces are even supposed to work. No really what is this and how is it supposed to be ergonomic. I tried very hard to make a way, and I don't think I succeeded lmao.

Whatever it ends up being I just hope it's ergonomic because my hands don't work very well vs a friggen rectangle....

Or square...

Or slightly rounded of the two above....

Pls Nintendo

The Wii U's GamePad's complexity already turned off some of Nintendo's market. If you showed this to a non-gamer, they would stare at it wide-eyed for a moment, then start screeching loudly until it's removed from view.

marmoka

Banned
Even after Eurogamer saying the console will not be powerful enough to reach Xone levels, Neogaf demonstrated that the NX thirst is real, the hype is real.

AgeEighty

So many of those concepts would be way too confusing, even off-putting, to an average consumer. People want an easy, intuitive device, not something that has five different stages of transformation.

Whatever the NX ends up being like, it won't be something that a non-techie person would look at and find instantly intimidating.

Aaand?
I've seen them too.
Or was this just a recap?

These threads make it really easy to go back later and say, "See what crazy ideas we had!? HA HA We were so off!"

It didn't happen so much with the Wii U because the rumors made for an easy guess. "Let's put a screen in the middle of a Classic Controller Pro" *GamePad is basically that* "Oh."

Nessus

No one seems to be entertaining the possibility that the detachable controllers might function like a Wiimote and nunchuck.

Screen is only used for when you're out in public, either attached like a regular portable, or detached and wireless, each half of which could work as super basic NES-style controller for two players, or as a Wiimote + nunchuck combo at home, with the screen + guts plugging into the base station just like the Wii U gamepad dock (hopefully no connector cable, you just place it down and it connects).

Top Bottom