• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE agents eat breakfast, compliment chef, then arrest 3 workers at MI restaurant

The owner of a Michigan restaurant said U.S. immigration agents who were conducting enforcement at the business ate breakfast — and complimented the chef — before arresting three workers, according to media reports on Thursday.

The Ann Arbor News reported that two of the men arrested Wednesday at Sava's Restaurant remain in custody. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said agents were doing "a targeted enforcement action" at the Ann Arbor restaurant.

ICE officials said two of the men entered the country illegally and another overstayed his visa. Authorities said the men tried to leave the restaurant before being arrested. Another man was handcuffed and briefly detained, then released after showing agents his permanent resident card.

Restaurant owner Sava Lelcaj told the newspaper several agents came to the restaurant near the University of Michigan, and two ate breakfast at the restaurant bar. One ate waffles and bacon and the other eggs and toast. Lelcaj said they praised the food before entering the kitchen area.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...urant-immigration-arrests-20170525-story.html

Video: https://youtu.be/LxeFqR0v0u8

Once we reclaim our nation, perhaps the next administration can take a cold hard look at making some changes to ICE. Among other necessary actions that must be taken in order to secure the future of liberty forever.

Dyle

Well at least they didn't deport the Belgians

ICE really doesn't care about their public image, do they?

I want to get upset...but the 3 arrested are illegal immigrants right? The only part of the story that should upset anyone was the guy who was falsly handcuffed. You can argue eating breakfast there before arresting them was tacky but there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Sounds like they were hoping the workers would have tried to flee so they could charge them all with an actual crime, instead of some bullshit immigration stuff.

I wish people would leave the social commentary out of thread titles.

Story related. These people enjoy their jobs too much. This is just wrong.

Astral Dog

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
If you don't have the paper work, you don't get to stay. Simple as that.
Even a liberal administration wouldn't challenge this.

I want to get upset...but the 3 arrested are illegal immigrants right? The only part of the story that should upset anyone was the guy who was falsly handcuffed. You can argue eating breakfast there before arresting them was tacky but there's nothing technically wrong with it.
Ugh
Damn illegals making delicious waffles.
Their crime was finding a job and making waffles,bad hombres

Tagyhag

Tacky is probably the most innocent word you could choose. :p

Yeah they're doing their jobs, but you can tell that they really enjoy ruining people's lives.

Men do their jobs and enforce the law with a minor dickish twist. Ok.

I'm trying real hard here to think of any other country that lets people stay illegally.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aside from the breakfast part, isn't this their job?

One of the priorities in how they conduct their job (just like a repo agent, a debt collector, a banker who denies loans, a judge, a police officer, or anyone else who deals with situations that are very personally awful for the people going through them) ought to be human dignity. This doesn't mean you can't arrest people, can't deport them, can't do whatever the law and their boss says they need to do -- but it does mean that the way you conduct yourself should not be part of the ordeal that someone goes through. Even if we believe that the people arrested deserve to be arrested, that doesn't make them "bad people" in a cosmic sense and we should strive not to increase the level of misery in the world.

Making a flip remark about how someone is talented before you blow up their life is not in keeping with that goal, in my opinion.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Im not seeing much of an issue, other than them having breakfast, which may have just been so they could observe the staff. The fact that they stopped a legal immigrant suggests that this wasn't 100% targeted.

I live in Ann Arbor and know exactly where Savas is, great food there. But I'm pretty surprised to hear this happening, especially in a town as liberal as Ann Arbor.

One of the priorities in how they conduct their job (just like a repo agent, a debt collector, a banker who denies loans, a judge, a police officer, or anyone else who deals with situations that are very personally awful for the people going through them) ought to be human dignity. This doesn't mean you can't arrest people, can't deport them, can't do whatever the law and their boss says they need to do -- but it does mean that the way you conduct yourself should not be part of the ordeal that someone goes through. Even if we believe that the people arrested deserve to be arrested, that doesn't make them "bad people" in a cosmic sense and we should strive not to increase the level of misery in the world.

Making a flip remark about how someone is talented before you blow up their life is not in keeping with that goal, in my opinion.

Love your posts, Stumpokapow. Want you to know that.

Tagyhag

Im not seeing much of an issue, other than them having breakfast, which may have just been so they could observe the staff. The fact that they stopped a legal immigrant suggests that this wasn't 100% targeted.

"What do you think Jer? That boy look illegal to you?"

"Well he IS brown, and look at the way he cooks like he knows he stole a job from our boys. Let's get him"

Alucrid

Banned
i'm glad that ICE has done such a good job at deporting all the bad illegal immigrants that they're now only left with people cooking breakfast in restaurants

Said better than I ever could.

Top Bottom