• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland government collapses over pedophile furore

RMI

Banned
Five and a half year jail term for 12 years of rape... How the fuck is that any kind of justice?

I get that other countries do prison differently but goddamn this is some shit right there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wait, it gets worse:

The details of the case are nothing short of horrifying. This summer the man was then granted a full pardon, despite the fact that there is no indication he has ever repented. His victim has revealed in interviews that the man has continued to harass her and her family, among other things by approaching her six year old daughter while she was on a field trip with her school. The man was working as a school bus driver at the time.

http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/...lving-one-icelands-most-notorious-child-abuse

Obviously the pardoner's finances need to be investigated.

cyress8

Banned
Fucking hell, dude got out with just a slap on the wrist and the girl will be traumatized for life.

Iceland, some people should be locked up for life. This guy is definitely one of them.

Symphonia

Banned
The details of the case are nothing short of horrifying. This summer the man was then granted a full pardon, despite the fact that there is no indication he has ever repented. His victim has revealed in interviews that the man has continued to harass her and her family, among other things by approaching her six year old daughter while she was on a field trip with her school. The man was working as a school bus driver at the time.
Jesus, lock this fucker back up.

Audioboxer

But Icelanders have been horrified by the secret backing for Hjalti Sigurjón Hauksson - convicted in 2004 of raping his stepdaughter almost every day for 12 years from when she was five. He served a five-and-a-half-year jail term.

What the fucking fuck? Words can't describe the brutality here. 5 and a half years? Should have been 4 to 5x that. Double how many years he carried out that abuse, or something.

Shredderi

That nordic justice model. Hey, it's all about rehabilitation :).

I've had my own experience with the justice system here in Finland, and let's just say that next time i get almost killed by some psycho i'm going to think twice before calling the cops. "It's also your fault for defending yourself :), here take this massive fine you poor student. #bothsides"

It's so disheartening and downright rage inducing to read about how the justice system here in Finland treats the victims. Some psycho fucker can decide to fuck your finances up by just assaulting you and forcing you to defend yourself. Then the fucker is given pretty much a slap on the wrist and you'll get big fines to pay because you had the audacity to put your own life above the fuck who attacked you without provoking him in any way. You the victim are supposed to keep yourself calm and level headed at all times during the attack, doing sherlock calculations in your head while in slow-mo in how you could disarm and subdue the assailant without hurting him physically. This model puts so much unfair burden on the victim to ensure both him and his assailant's safety.

Symphonia

Banned
Well that's kinda true.

He was working as bus driver at some company and she went on his bus, which the school hired, during a field trip. He wasn't the school bus driver.
Kind of irrelevant. The bus company should’ve checked his record and stopped him doing any runs involving children.

Symphonia

Banned
Five years after you've been out of prison your record doesn't showcase your crimes.
Yeah, it does. Your criminal record stays with you for life. I’d imagine he’s also on the sex offender register, meaning he’d definitely show up with a criminal record.

Yeah, it does. Your criminal record stays with you for life. I’d imagine he’s also on the sex offender register, meaning he’d definitely show up with a criminal record.
not every country handles these things the same many countries don't even have a sex offender registry, that's mostly an anglophone thing.

DiscoJer

I've never understood how child rape sentences can be so lenient. Other than murder, is there a worse crime?

It seems like it's a worldwide thing, too.

5 years? They should tie him with a rock and dump him in the middle of the Arctic Ocean to feed fish. And they were trying to pardon him? Unbelievable.

Dryk

If my father did something like this I would immediately throw him under the bus. There's no excuse.

Rape a child nearly every day for 12 years and get 5 & 1/2 years in jail. Why are so many justice systems so unbelievably shit.

Muh rehabilitations, society of forgiveness, it's not about whether he deserves it or not, etc etc etc.

We say this like Brock Turner didn't rape an unconscious woman and essentially get sentenced to summer detention for it. I don't think a focus on rehabilitation is to blame when the US is addicted to incarcerating people and still manages to give rapists 3-month sentences.

_Ryo_

How the fuck do you rape someone everyday for 12 years, from when they're 5 years old until when they are 17 years old and only get 5 years in prison? It should be for life.

And why the fuck would you try to restore the honor of such a monster. They should not have the right to be forgiven or hold any public or government office. And how do you even make an excuse for trying to do this without outing yourself as a monster yourself? To do so suggests you sympathize with a pedophile rapist. Fuck everyone and anyone who tries to defend such a vile piece of shit.

AoM

We say this like Brock Turner didn't rape an unconscious woman and essentially get sentenced to summer detention for it. I don't think a focus on rehabilitation is to blame when the US is addicted to incarcerating people and still manages to give rapists 3-month sentences.

At least he has to register as a sex offender.

Harmen

As others have been saying, five years, only five?!! That shit makes me extremely angry. They should be writing letters to let him rot in prison for his whole damn life instead of even having a thought remotely close to giving him a pardon/rights. Jesus.

oneils

Rape is altogether punished too lightly in most places. This is not a problem with the nordic justice system. (EDIT: I mean, it's a problem, but not one that stems from the nordic system).

And you must be doing something wrong with your life if you get attacked by psychos all the time. You sound like a violent/aggressive person if you fantasize about taking justice to your own hands.

I think you are being way too defensive. There is pretty much nothing in that guys post that should have led you to the thinking in your second paragraph unless you know something we don't.

Shinypogs

There is nothing wrong with a system that favours rehabilitation. There is plenty wrong with a system that does not weight certain crimes heavily enough, punishes victims and does not do enough to ensure that a convict does not re offend. There should certainly be rules in place to prevent child predators from being able to have a job that involves working with children. A persons ability to reintegrate into society should not come at the cost of safety to said society.

I really hope this person ( who clearly seems likely to re offend) and the prime minister's father are brought to proper justice and that this government dissolution doesn't have far reaching consequences to the general icelandic populous.

Shaanyboi

Banned
But Icelanders have been horrified by the secret backing for Hjalti Sigurjón Hauksson - convicted in 2004 of raping his stepdaughter almost every day for 12 years from when she was five. He served a five-and-a-half-year jail term.

Oh yeah, this totally sounds like someone who should be running for office.

"Rehabilitation"

Do countries with this model even follow proper science-based rehabilitation procedures for inmates or is it all high-horse posturing?

European countries have a way better track record when it comes to releasing prisoners vs. them getting imprisoned again compared to the US.

That’s fucked up.

Not so much imo. Publicly being labelled as a sex offender makes reintegration pretty much impossible.

napata

"Rehabilitation"

Do countries with this model even follow proper science-based rehabilitation procedures for inmates or is it all high-horse posturing?

I assume it's the former based on their extremely low recidivism rates. Even if it wasn't based on science it seems whatever they're doing actually works.

Though at the same time I don't think a system like this would work in the USA.

Audioboxer

People always take the piss out of European justice. They never actually take note that it actually works.

Yeah, but a sentence of less than half the amount of time he raped the girl is hard to stomach. Even if it were a year for a year. I know that's not really how justice works in a court, but I'll say it one last time, 5.5 years for 12 years of rape/sexual abuse is just hard to accept.

I'm someone that is against the death penalty and I do also believe rehabilitation can and does work.

There’s an easy solution to that — don’t commit a sexual offence.

That's the American approach. And it's working so splendidly well that recidivism rate is sky high and almost one out of 100 adults is in prison - compared to ~one tenth of that in Western Europe.

legend166

The low Nordic recidivism rates seem to be based on somewhat dodgy statistics, for example:

Sweden reported a 2-year reconviction rate amongst prisoners of 43%,[12] which on the surface compares favourably to 59% in England and Wales.[1] However, the latter includes fines in the reconviction measure, whereas the former does not. In a separate report including fines, the Swedish rate rises to 66%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4472929/#!po=44.2857

This isn't to defend the frankly horrible US prison system, but the Nordic systems are not perfect and for mine too frequently ignore victims rights. Five years for this crime is a farce.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, but a sentence of less than half the amount of time he raped the girl is hard to stomach. Even if it were a year for a year. I know that's not really how justice works in a court, but I'll say it one last time, 5.5 years for 12 years of rape/sexual abuse is just hard to accept.

I'm someone that is against the death penalty and I do also believe rehabilitation can and does work.

Shitty sentences are bound to happen every now and again in every justice system. Unless someone can prove that this is the common punishment for this kind of crime in Iceland, using it as example of why the whole justice system is broken is disengenious.

Also interesting to see Americans throwing a fit over it when on their country certain states still allow people to marry and rape children legally because of fucking religion.

Symphonia

Banned
That's the American approach. And it's working so splendidly well that recidivism rate is sky high and almost one out of 100 adults is in prison - compared to ~one tenth of that in Western Europe.
Regardless of the number of crimes committed - that’s not what we’re discussing here - the fact is Iceland (or most of Europe for that matter) not having a sex registry is alarming. They’re pretty much allowing rapists and child molesters to intergrate themselves back in the community with no actual repercussions. It’s barbaric and twisted.

Sanojio

Too much democracy is the same as none and there is no accountability for leaders actions in any "so called democracy on earth". Fine there are cultural differences, no life sentence in Iceland.

Iceland is held up as the perfect, ideal democracy when obviously it isn't and a pedophile brings the entire system down.

How in the fuck does a pedophile have his rights and honor restored? Why is it even an option?

Regardless of the number of crimes committed - that’s not what we’re discussing here - the fact is Iceland (or most of Europe for that matter) not having a sex registry is alarming. They’re pretty much allowing rapists and child molesters to intergrate themselves back in the community with no actual repercussions. It’s barbaric and twisted.

The US is the only country in the world with a public sex offender registry. And it's not working in protecting children. You can still have a criminal record that could prevent you from getting jobs that involve contact with children (teacher, etc.) without having a public sex offender registry.

MUnited83

For you.
This is why I feel there should be a balance. Too much democracy is the same as none and there is no accountability for leaders actions. Fine there are cultural differences, no life sentence in Iceland.

Iceland is held up as the perfect, ideal democracy when obviously it isn't and a pedophile brings the entire system down. How the fuck does a pedophile have his rights and honor restored? Why is it even an option?

? It's a pretty good example of democracy still, when the public discovers that the government is corrupt and thus the government collapses. That's what it should happen in a democracy when the public discovers their elected officials are corrupt. What's your alternative, letting the corrupt people stay like in other countries? Why are you saying there is no accountability when the opposite is happening?
Regarding the honor restored system, in theory it's a good thing, but as seen here it needs some serious reforms, like not allowing certain types of criminals to obtain it, as well as making the whole process clear and public.

Worth noting again that this guy's actions are the epitome of sexual predation. He didn't just grab a kid's butt a few times or show his wiener to some schoolgirls, he repeatedly "raped his stepdaughter almost every day for 12 years from when she was five."

I almost always advocate for mercy and rehabilitation, but this guy is a hardcore sexual sadist devoid of empathy. You simply cannot commit crimes like this and return to normal society.

He should have never seen the light of day again. His mere existence is an affront to the "honor" of the Icelandic legal system.

zoukka

Welcome to the nordics/iceland. Model nations in just about everything if you just ignore the fact that rape is barely a crime here.

Top Bottom