• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs episode 91 - With special guest SHAWN ELLIOTT

Shaneus

Anyone fancy a Ship game on Friday? On the GAF mumble server mayhaps?

Steam server list isn't showing any servers, so we might need a host.
I still need a copy of it. Anyone?

None of this is a complaint, it's just an explanation of reality. The way we were doing Thumbs before--just boostrapping everything out of my apartment--is not sustainable as we get older, as the cost of living in SF increases, and as we have an increasing number of commitments in our professional and personal lives.
I now have a mental image of you standing on a corner with a newsboy cap upside down on the ground, busking for change by rapping about shitty wizards.

It's awesome.

Great work, BTW. I really need to hunt down some GFWL 'casts, because I haven't heard it before :(

PS. JustinRPG on Encyclopedia Dramatica (his deviantart account has been disabled). Warning: It's weird and a little bit gross at the start (I haven't progressed any further).
And the picture where you can see the burger poster on his wall:
EwK8XUzl.jpg

FartOfWar

Banned
I still need a copy of it. Anyone?

I now have a mental image of you standing on a corner with a newsboy cap upside down on the ground, busking for change by rapping about shitty wizards.

It's awesome.

Great work, BTW. I really need to hunt down some GFWL 'casts, because I haven't heard it before :(

PS. JustinRPG on Encyclopedia Dramatica (his deviantart account has been disabled). Warning: It's weird and a little bit gross at the start (I haven't progressed any further).
And the picture where you can see the burger poster on his wall:
EwK8XUzl.jpg
Hahahaha! I love that there's now a picture of JustinRPG with his cheeseburger poster in an idlethumbs thread as much as Remo hates it.

spindrift

Neo Member

I listened to both of these all the way through. I don't know why I would do that and I'm having some trouble reconciling that with my conception of my self and my tastes.
I think maybe it's that there's a painful and unabashed honesty that is so incredibly rare to see on the internet -- or anywhere, I guess. There's no irony or modulation of behavior for society, just a raw display of humanity at its ... not worst. Most embarrassing?
Fascinating and grotesque.

Shaneus

Hahahaha! I love that there's now a picture of JustinRPG with his cheeseburger poster in an idlethumbs thread as much as Remo hates it.
I thought of merely just linking it, but this isn't some highbrow establishment we're talking about here. It's Idle Thumbs... on GAF!

I can really recommend the "This Year" compilations of GFW Radio. Very well edited and it contains both the hilarious stuff like Heroes of the Web and the serious discussions about video game related topics.

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2011/07/11-gfw-radio-2006.html
http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2012/03/27-gfw-radio-2007.html
http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2012/06/33-gfw-radio-2008.html

Meowtor

Gold Member
listening now and really enjoying it. Never checked out Idle Thumbs before, but gonna check out other episodes after this :)

Jex

Why can't Shawn just shut up and let those guys talk.

Also, why can't the Thumbs just shut up and let Shawn talk.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have the biggest man crush on Shawn Elliot. I'd totally play with his balls.

Remo is too highbrow for Heroes of the Web haha. Thank God you didn't have the Chris-chan story from last years' GFW reunion episode.

I have the biggest man crush on Shawn Elliot. I'd totally play with his balls.

Sounds like we need an Encyclopedia Drammatica entry for CorkyRPG....

Although I'm no better because I did a fanart of a fucking podcast episode in the other thread (see below). What is my life? Still not as legendary as Sonichu or Poopy Moltres though. :p

9cBNImK.png

Shai-Tan

Banned
Shawn Elliott was pretty good. It was interesting to hear what he had to say about Planetside. I think the reason it ran out of steam for me after 30 hours is I just can't seem to figure out the flying vehicles. I have played thousands of hours of Battlefield and still can't fly a chopper. So it begins and ends for me with the infantry and tanks. The scale and team work is great but it's an unfinished game to that end which makes what is missing in it's similarity to Battlefield a little too much of a tradeoff (it's missing destruction, level variety, mechanics that create more of those interesting "battlefield moments")

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wow. Corky fishing for Hero of the Web? :p

Dare I place myself among gods among men like Ralphie? Sign me up.

Driving full speed off the creeper cliff I see.

I'm merely parked outside Creep'R'us.

But will you ride his banana?

I'll be his medic the day I play TF2.

Careful man, FartOfWar is looking for new ways to turn on his "clapper" light.

That shit made me laugh I knew the punch-line was going to something along those lines haha.

Shit, good mix of people. Enjoyed the podcast.

I haven't been playing Planetside 2 much. I'm tempted to roll a new character on a new faction.

Shaneus

I've listened to the first This Year (2006) of Brodeo and about an hour into pt. 1 of 2007. Holy shit, those guys are awesome. Glad that they're not too dissimilar to Idle Thumbs in spirit, so those who got to experience them fresh still have a place to go for pure awesomeness.

burnfout

Catching up with the last couple of Thumbs, and the long winded Ad talks really started to annoy me.

Do you guys get paid per minute you talk about Hover.com, or for every person that signs up or something?

I would rather listen to a regular short Ad, not minutes of 'regular' talk about the Ad products.

I was part of the GFW fandom from a long time ago. Miss hearing him, Jeff Green, Robert Ashley, etc.

Shawn Elliot did great on here - he's fucking awesome. I wish he was on stuff more often. He makes me want to play games again. And I can't believe he brought up that passage in Moby Dick when he was talking about being a miser in his electric blanket with his foot hanging out of it.

The more so, I say, because truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

Has there ever been discussion on which GFW Radio episodes were the best, by date?

I just remember dying at some of the Second Life discussions, TF2, and ... didn't Robert Ashley do happy birthday in the voice of a dolphin or something like that once? I couldn't get enough of that.
Too much amazingness came from that podcast. Shawn Elliot got me greifing in Second Life like it was my fucking job.

oiI52LO.jpg

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but I only listened to this one today.

As far as first person narratives in fiction, you guys should really check out Gene Wolfe's Book Of The New Sun. It's not only told in first person, the narrator is also unreliable. It's an amazing series that even invites itself for re-reads.

Top Bottom