• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

SL128

wYahuwm.gif

Anno

Jesus Christ. I couldn't even begin to picture it on the podcast, but yeah, that looks like they could have just designed it that way lol

Jake

Since Jake reads everything.... you guys didn't play oxenfree? Think you'd dig the interrupting conversation system, it's invisible and amazing.

Also game maker's toolkit breaks it down, link starts at it:
https://youtu.be/kzfKnI8x5SE?t=275

I'm horrible for not playing Oxenfree yet. It was written and designed by former co-workers (and current friends) of Sean and mine but I haven't gotten to it yet. Something to rectify soon.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I'm horrible for not playing Oxenfree yet. It was written and designed by former co-workers (and current friends) of Sean and mine but I haven't gotten to it yet. Something to rectify soon.

Krankle is the koolest. Tom Chick even liked it.

mcw

Really enjoyed this week's episode. Not a lot of video game discussion, but who cares when there's such an enthusiastic and insightful discussion of the original Star Wars?

And Chris, thanks for taking the time to talk about that interview you went to see. I have no familiarity with the specific person you were discussing, but can absolutely relate to the sentiment-- it's indeed important to take time to remind oneself that life is richer and more diverse than what's advertised in a list of trending topics.

By the way, I'm sure you'll get a bunch of messages about this, but if I remember correctly, the "And boy, have we patented it!" thing from the original iPhone keynote was a joking reference to an incident that had happened a few months prior, in which Microsoft acquired some sort of music playing device patent that could conceivably have covered the iPod, and there was speculation that Microsoft was going to sue Apple over it.

mcw

Oh, I forgot to mention-- thanks also for making the file smaller than last week's. For some reason last week's episode was almost 200 megs; this week's is much more palatable to my data plan.

Jake

LOL Kotaku has an article on the Mario theory from last week.

Yeah it's written by Kirk Hamilton, guest of Thumbs episodes 85 and 114. Chris and I spent about a half hour on Skype with him yesterday talking about that bullshit. It was really fun. I'm glad he wrote it up as if it was news.

Rufus

Yeah, do whatever feels right. If you think you've got nothing interesting to say about games, then don't force it.

omg_mjd

Honest feedback: I've loved the show ever since discovering it years ago. I actually went back and listened from the first episode, listening to one episode a day, and it was worth it. (I was kinda sad when I caught up and realized I'd have to settle for just one episode a week.)

But lately the show has felt "off" to me. When I was listening last week I remember glancing down at my phone to check how many minutes had passed since the opener and being surprised that it was over 20 minutes, and the guys were still talking about Star Wars.

I just feel that the non-gaming discussions are not as interesting. It's like I'm listening to three guys having a random conversation, instead of three hosts having a discussion ostensibly directed towards an audience.

Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed the side topics. But having games become a side topic...the balance doesn't feel right.

But I agree with the above poster: don't force it. That would be worse.

blamite

Yeah I'm definitely happy with the direction of the show recently. Nothing avoid me more on other shows than when fun or interesting of-topic conversations get cut off early to "get back on track" or stick to a strict schedule or something (as much as I like 8-4 Play, for example, I get annoyed when they cut off personal stories to get back to the news of the week). If it's *insert current gaming topic* that I want to hear about, there's no shortage of places I could go for just that, but if I'm listening to a specific podcast, it's because I want to hear the takes of the specific people on that podcast, and if that means random discussion that ends up way off-track, well then that's what I'm there for.

Jintor

I have to say that one of the reasons I really started listening to thumbs was those hot takes on current news back when you guys were still working at Shack or as reporters or whatever. The thing though when you guys returned was that it didn't feel like you were as invested in the news anymore, which is fine, people change etc, but like... it was like you guys were clowning on something you didn't necessarily know much about.

I think what it was, really, wasn't the gaming news or whatever that I liked so much as it was people who were knowledgeable about a thing actually discussing and riffing on that thing. When certain types of gaming and news became an obligation to you guys, the jokes and riffs became weird and off.

of course the 'interest topics' thing risks stuff like me just completely being uninterested in things you riff on sometimes, but them's the breaks i suppose

If you guys are feeling burnt out games, don't force it and talk about whatever you feel like. I'd much rather you guys talk enthusiastically about Star Wars, Jurassic Park or Jeff Goldblum than talk about video games because you fee you have to.

That said, I think Thumbs is at it's best when discussing games.

Also, are we ever getting Vanaman or Steve on the podcast again? I miss those dudes.

Top Bottom