• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

fallout

By the end of that fucking thing I think we were having a really hard time keeping ourselves from ripping each other's heads off. It took us an entire day, and we had already thrown away a much higher-concept version of a video that we shot a bunch of.
I think it's time for a Behind the Baboo VH1 special.

Hey, so, um, I'm perpetually six months behind in podcasts and so it was a huge surprise to me when Austin Walker mentions a "final-ish Idle Thumbs ep"? I read back through this thread and stalked the Idle Thumbs forums for a bit and I still don't really understand what's going on. It sounds like the show's not actually cancelled? Is the schedule being pared back? Apparently it's not going to be focused so much on video games anymore, which I'm 100% fine with, but does that mean Important If True is replacing Idle Thumbs, or do the two shows continue to co-exist, or...?

Sorry if this is all super old news to everyone, I tried to look up what was going on but didn't find any definitive statements.

Anno

IiT will be the every week podcast and Idle Thumbs will come around now and then, seemingly with a focus on emails. So stay subbed in addition to listening to the new cast.

jediyoshi

Hey, so, um, I'm perpetually six months behind in podcasts and so it was a huge surprise to me when Austin Walker mentions a "final-ish Idle Thumbs ep"? I read back through this thread and stalked the Idle Thumbs forums for a bit and I still don't really understand what's going on. It sounds like the show's not actually cancelled? Is the schedule being pared back? Apparently it's not going to be focused so much on video games anymore, which I'm 100% fine with, but does that mean Important If True is replacing Idle Thumbs, or do the two shows continue to co-exist, or...?

Sorry if this is all super old news to everyone, I tried to look up what was going on but didn't find any definitive statements.

Their main, weekly podcast will be Important if True. Idle Thumbs isn't being discontinued and will be recorded off schedule when they feel like it. Next ep already announced for next week.

IiT will be the every week podcast and Idle Thumbs will come around now and then, seemingly with a focus on emails. So stay subbed in addition to listening to the new cast.

Their main, weekly podcast will be Important if True. Idle Thumbs isn't being discontinued and will be recorded off schedule when they feel like it. Next ep already announced for next week.

K, guess I should get around to subscribing then. Thanks!

Jake

Is there an aggregate feed for the Idle Thumbs network? It would be a nice way for me to be lazy if new shows are added.

I think our backend technically supports this but we never did it... Pretty classic, considering we wrote the backend management system ourselves...

Does Idle Thumbs still do a promo code with Hover? I'm about to buy a domain and I heard about hover from the thumbs years ago so I figure it's fair to use their referral if they're still doing it.

Boem

That Nick Breckon podcast thing is one of the best/most frightening experiences Idle Thumbs has ever delivered on. Still blown away. I noticed something was off about painting Nick's face but I figured he replaced it with a photo or something, but holy shit at the painting actually being alive this whole time.

I kind of want a Resident Evil 7-like VR game where you're hanging around Nick Breckon's house with a bunch of Nick Breckons. Also I'm kind of glad that doesn't really exist.

oh jesus fuck nick

*fixed

blamite

It has been so far but we could conceivably change it. We didn't really think about this to be honest! We probably should think about it.
Just wanted to mention how's great it is that you guys are uploading the cast overnight Wednesday/extremely early in there morning on Thursday now (at least I think this is new as of last week?)! Waking up to a new episode for my morning commute is amazing and I hope you can keep it up! Thanks!

Chitown B

Yep, have listened to them for even longer than Idle Thumbs

Yeah for years.

I used to. I like the hosts, and was a listener for years. They have a nice community there.
I stopped eventually because it was getting a bit too boardgame-y for my tastes.

I did since 2008 or something but stopped a few years ago.

Love them. They're very different than other gaming podcasts, in my opinion. Yeah there are some board game talks, but they're few. I don't even play board games much but it's interesting to hear about. The hosts have great personalities

I wish they had a better online presence, like facebook/twitter so you could discuss them there. But they only have their message boards. So they sort of don't get noticed.

dLMN8R

Love them. They're very different than other gaming podcasts, in my opinion. Yeah there are some board game talks, but they're few. I don't even play board games much but it's interesting to hear about. The hosts have great personalities

I wish they had a better online presence, like facebook/twitter so you could discuss them there. But they only have their message boards. So they sort of don't get noticed.

I think they're OK with that. A lack of visibility is what makes their community able to stay really friendly, and they're not doing the podcast for the money :)

What I like about Gamers With Jobs is that none of the hosts seem to be in the zeitgeist of game conversations at all. Meaning, they have no clue what all the big sites are talking about, what's popular, what's not, or what other podcasts are talking about.

They're kind of their own isolated bubble and that leads to different conversations about different games I often don't hear or read about elsewhere. Even when they talk about the New Hotness that just came out, they usually have a different take than the mainstream.

Chitown B

I think they're OK with that. A lack of visibility is what makes their community able to stay really friendly, and they're not doing the podcast for the money :)

What I like about Gamers With Jobs is that none of the hosts seem to be in the zeitgeist of game conversations at all. Meaning, they have no clue what all the big sites are talking about, what's popular, what's not, or what other podcasts are talking about.

They're kind of their own isolated bubble and that leads to different conversations about different games I often don't hear or read about elsewhere. Even when they talk about the New Hotness that just came out, they usually have a different take than the mainstream.

Yup, exactly. Though I do like to discuss gaming in other places online and there's no real way to involve anyone that knows about the show.

I thought Cory Banks was with PC Gamer, but it turns out he left that job a while ago.

I very much appreciate GWJ as a well-reasoned and thoughtful cast of people. I still listen to them. The board game stuff is pretty easy for me to tune out when I want to because it only really happens a couple of times a year, like when they have RabbitCon and stuff. (but also I kind of like the board game stuff when I'm able to follow it.)

Nice editing during the Poirot bit.

Actually, I guess that makes me wonder, was all that audio done in post, or was some of it playing during the stream? I'm guessing at the end when you played the Poirot theme it was on the stream.

Jake

Nice editing during the Poirot bit.

Actually, I guess that makes me wonder, was all that audio done in post, or was some of it playing during the stream? I'm guessing at the end when you played the Poirot theme it was on the stream.

Yeah that was the only part done live. The rest was Chris in post.

radaxian

random but does anyone listen to Gamers With Jobs?

Have for years and years, probably pre-thumbs if they existed then. I think that might be how I found out about thumbs?

Have drifted away because I can't fit another show into my week after Giantbomb and Thumbs, but they'll rotate back in at some point.

Chitown B

Have for years and years, probably pre-thumbs if they existed then. I think that might be how I found out about thumbs?

Have drifted away because I can't fit another show into my week after Giantbomb and Thumbs, but they'll rotate back in at some point.

Nice. I dropped GB after they started to hit 4 hours long.

Haines

Banned
Idk. I gave episode one of important a honest try.

When they spent God knows how long talking about animals driving cars all I could think was...this is what we needed a new show for?

This just feels like a riff show. Bring up a topic and see if they can make it funny.

And some people must love the robot sections but for whatever reason I detest them. And I'm a massive terminator fan.

I like the crew so much that I'm going to keep listening but I can see myself dropping off the same reason i dropped my brother and me. Comedy just doesn't do it for me as much.

Now that I've heard it I can understand why they went this way. They seem happy.

SL128

So how is the podcast now that they don't talk about video games anymore? I unsubscribed after that announcement.
Idle Thumbs is still about games, but it's not weekly anymore. Resubscribe to it if you still like their video game talk.

Important if True is a different podcast which isn't about games, but is a new golden age.

Idk. I gave episode one of important a honest try.

When they spent God knows how long talking about animals driving cars all I could think was...this is what we needed a new show for?

This just feels like a riff show. Bring up a topic and see if they can make it funny.

And some people must love the robot sections but for whatever reason I detest them. And I'm a massive terminator fan.

I like the crew so much that I'm going to keep listening but I can see myself dropping off the same reason i dropped my brother and me. Comedy just doesn't do it for me as much.

Now that I've heard it I can understand why they went this way. They seem happy.

I never understood the love for the robot topics. Normally they were fine for five minutes, but like most things they just went too self indulgent on it. The new show basically seems like their just indulging themselves on riffing content.

Top Bottom