• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there was a major celestial discovery, how would/should it be announced?

norm9

They will tell us by presidential news conference 36 hours before we start seeing their ships in our atmosphere.

Slime

Banned
-immediate leak via social media or some scientific forum
-vague press release from group/agency/scientific body responsible for the possible discovery stressing caution and patience until it is examined properly
-months of waiting until the discovery is written up and reviewed
-years of debate, skepticism, counter-explanations, new evidence, etc.
-many decades later, if/when technology is improved and there is money and interest, a more advanced investigation is conducted on behalf of a government or private scientific body
-vague press release from group/agency/scientific body responsible for the possible discovery stressing caution and patience until it is examined properly
-months of waiting until the discovery is written up and reviewed

And then, perhaps, in a riveting scientific journal, released long after we are dead, our descendents may find that we have discovered...alien bacteria.

Respect

If it's through the SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) project? It will leak to the press and be confirmed by SETI projects in time.

If they (SETI) get a signal, it will take a days to confirm it isn't from a terrestrial source by coordinating with other radio telescopes locations around the globe to confirm. During this process it will generally get leaked to the public (SETI also isn't really bound to secrecy and would just be careful in releasing the information until they were certain the signal was genuinely alien in nature, they don't want to jump the gun and give false information until they are absolutely sure).

Even in the past, SETI signal false alarms (prior to the internet) would get leaked to the press. With the prevalence of the internet, I'm sure it would get out much quicker, but it would still require days to confirm.

Ishan

Aliens super complicated situation .

Something massive otherwise eg confirmation of legitimacy of ftl travel , wormholes in near vicinity etc probably a few speculative articles which ppl dismiss confirmation by added evidence followed by a presser which will be leaked in advance

psyfi

Banned
The Discovery of an Ancient abandoned alien city in our system would not be talked about. THey would keep it secret to ensure that nasa/states get there first without worry of doing a dead sprint to beat other countries.

would be dope as shit though, dumping 10 trillion into nasa, think of hte advances
nah I'm good

I don't want humanity to go to space until we've learned how to live harmoniously with each other and non-human life.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Wasn't there just a thread saying something like 50% of people believe science is an opinion ?
I don't think it matters how or even if you give people the facts anymore.

Haunted

Joint address by ESA, NASA and CNSA. PR statements by world leaders (Germany, France, China, Russia, Japan etc.) prepared beforehand and immediately released in the minutes following the official announcement.

DeathyBoy

Banned
giphy.gif

Via Youtube

Haunted

honestly to believe we are the only intelligent life out in the universe is stupid.
Agreed.

That said, the thread isn't about that, it's about first contact within the next 5/20/50 years. Chances of finding and fulfilling all the necessary prerequisites to be able to communicate with other intelligent life in this universe are super unlikely. Universe is too big, distances too large, humanity hasn't been around for long enough.

M3d10n

The answer to Fermi that I like (aside from "yo, space be big") is that we're just not listening correctly. We're looking for vinyls and they're sending blu-rays.

I like that one too. Like communication using signals so complex and intricate it just looks like random noise to us. Humanity is a good example of this: the period of human history through which we will have heavily broadcasted electromagnetic waves containing easily identifiable analogue information like sound and images barely reached 100 years and we are already migrating to digital transmissions with increasingly complex encoding and encryption.

I don't think a bunch of researches from the 50s would be able to get much out of a digital TV broadcast from the 2000s, for example, so if our broadcasts reach a civilization that is in the "wrong" technological epoch, they'll miss it completely.

Top Bottom