• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If they put you in Phil Spencer's chair, how would you save Xbox?

Z O N E

Go full 3rd party.
Make the hardware have multiple stores for those who want a no fuss experience of playing their Steam/EGS/GOG libraries.
Game Pass for those want access to all the game at one price.

Trogdor1123

Well, I’d look at the current math around this Xbox. See how much money is being made, standard cost benefit analysis. Then see if it actually needs to be “saved”. Then look at where cuts need to be made and expenditures are needed. It can’t be that hard to get comps from other companies to see how you look either.

Mitsurux

I don't know how much of this would fall under Phil's chair... but i would:

Create two separate publishing groups:
Xbox Game studios - Focus on Xbox Console exclusive titles
Microsoft game Studios - Focus on multi-platform titles
Reason: This prevent any confusion as to what game will be on what systems. Better Organize various development teams

Change Gamepass:
Remove all third party games (from studios not owned my Microsoft)
No Day one Releases
Change the name to something like "Xbox Archives" or "Xbox Vault"
Focus on BC titles from older gens, games that are over a year old (to be included as well) etc.
Example: Every Forza game, Every Halo Game, Every Call of duty game etc. (This should be your one stop place for ALL Xbox and Microsoft legacy titles)

Studios General:

Make sure each studio is lead by someone who is capable of handling the job
Reduce sizes if needed
Smaller focused Teams
All releases do not need to be AAA (AA and A have a place)
As a Phil replacement.. Be more involved with each studio, be willing to Delay if needed etc.
Expect accountability with studio heads
No more studio acquisitions - we have many studios to manage at this time.

Who knows after all that....

* Immediately get rid of Gamepass.
* Immediately stop porting exclusives to PC day one and halt PS5 ports

Consoles are absolutely pointless without true exclusives and games that are handed out for free only hurt the devs that make them.

*Fast track remasters/remakes of Fallout 3/NV and Morrowimd
* Start development on Lost Odyseey 2
* Put a boot in Rare's ass
*Restart the BC program and add achievements to Xbox OG games.
*Fire the entire marketing dept and start afresh with people that give a shit
* Kill off the XSS over the next year and phase it out
Hire this man.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I swear, once these studios got acquired by Xbox, it seems in most cases key personnel left and/or the studio just ballooned and started taking it easy knowing they had the Microsoft deep pockets safety net and no longer had to survive on their own.
Basically. Probably loads of meetings, community activities and stuff like that. And nothing gets done.
I mean, yes, games got big and all but so did the studios. There is no logical explanation for a game to take 5+ years to be made.

Blood Borne

- Exit the hardware business

- Buy EA and Take Two/Rockstar

- Launch a fully featured and robust Xbox Store on PC. Only place to games like COD, GTA, Elder Scrolls, etc on PC.

- Similar to EA Play, release Xbox Play on PlayStation and Nintendo.

- Lobby government to force PlayStation and Nintendo to allow full Xbox Store on their consoles

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have said it a million times on here, shut down the hardware division and transition to a third party publisher. Set up a GamePass for PlayStation that is similar to EA Play. Focus on what you are good at which is software. As for the software itself, I feel like they need to totally clean house of the production/product manager/studio leadership because it's just not getting the job done. The games aren't good enough and they don't seem to know the games aren't good enough. 343 was given probably about 6 years more than they should have to fuck up Halo, Spencer was surprised that Redfall was so bad, Shartfield wasn't good enough, so on and so on.

I don't know how much of this would fall under Phil's chair... but i would:

Create two separate publishing groups:
Xbox Game studios - Focus on Xbox Console exclusive titles
Microsoft game Studios - Focus on multi-platform titles
Reason: This prevent any confusion as to what game will be on what systems. Better Organize various development teams

Change Gamepass:
Remove all third party games (from studios not owned my Microsoft)
No Day one Releases
Change the name to something like "Xbox Archives" or "Xbox Vault"
Focus on BC titles from older gens, games that are over a year old (to be included as well) etc.
Example: Every Forza game, Every Halo Game, Every Call of duty game etc. (This should be your one stop place for ALL Xbox and Microsoft legacy titles)

Studios General:
Make sure each studio is lead by someone who is capable of handling the job
Reduce sizes if needed
Smaller focused Teams
All releases do not need to be AAA (AA and A have a place)
As a Phil replacement.. Be more involved with each studio, be willing to Delay if needed etc.
Expect accountability with studio heads
No more studio acquisitions - we have many studios to manage at this time.

Who knows after all that....
schitts creek lol GIF by CBC

Some solid points here!

I have said it a million times on here, shut down the hardware division and transition to a third party publisher. Set up a GamePass for PlayStation that is similar to EA Play. Focus on what you are good at which is software. As for the software itself, I feel like they need to totally clean house of the production/product manager/studio leadership because it's just not getting the job done. The games aren't good enough and they don't seem to know the games aren't good enough. 343 was given probably about 6 years more than they should have to fuck up Halo, Spencer was surprised that Redfall was so bad, Shartfield wasn't good enough, so on and so on.
No. More competition means more innovation.

They should just hammer that reset button on the Xbox division and start anew.
New hardware. No multimedia entertainment bullshit. A hardcore console. And of course a catalog to back it up.

Current Xbox division is cripple and dying.

Fresh start. No bullshit and MS can get back in the game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No. More competition means more innovation.

They should just hammer that reset button on the Xbox division and start anew.
New hardware. No multimedia entertainment bullshit. A hardcore console. And of course a catalog to back it up.

Current Xbox division is cripple and dying.

Fresh start. No bullshit and MS can get back in the game.

Xbox Series X was supposed to be that "hardcore console". MS has been in this business a long time and most of it has been unsuccessful. At some point, you have to realize you're not good at this. Look at how MS transitioned away from Windows Phone towards putting their software on iOS and Android. It made them wayyyyyyyyy more successful. I easily see the same thing happening here. The PC side of Xbox is showing growth and has an audience that you just don't see on the console. What they did by reinvigorating AOE and Flight Sim, just tells me what they can do when they focus on software in niches they understand.

I agree that on some level, a hardware maker exiting would have consequences. But this thread is about looking at it from the perspective of Microsoft's best interests.

Last edited:
Phil, if you're reading this buddy, as a guy with an XBOX Live account older than most of these kids:

- No more agile releases. Only send quality, finished products out the door, like Nintendo first party
- Market your games in the appropriate channels. Make sure your store front is elite. You are part of the biggest software company in the world
- Create separate XBOX Family & XBOX main divisions. Don't be scared of non corporate content. Corporate HR mess limits your ability to viscerally connect to adult gamers. Be inclusive organically, because it's the right move for that piece of art, not because of conference room evaluations.
- Focus on fun. 100% focus on fun. Profits will come if you provide fun and boundary pushing content. Celebrate new ideas.

Xbox Series X was supposed to be that "hardcore console". MS has been in this business a long time and most of it has been unsuccessful. At some point, you have to realize you're not good at this. Look at how MS transitioned away from Windows Phone towards putting their software on iOS and Android. It made them wayyyyyyyyy more successful. I easily see the same thing happening here. The PC side of Xbox is showing growth and has an audience that you just don't see on the console. What they did by reinvigorating AOE and Flight Sim, just tells me what they can do when they focus on software in niches they understand.

I agree that on some level, a hardware maker exiting would have consequences. But this thread is about looking at it from the perspective of Microsoft's best interests.
They fucked up since the Xbox One. Thats when management also started to shift.
Bring back Seamus Blackley or someone else from the OG xbox/ 360 era, give them a hallpass and Im sure we'll see some magic happen.

MS is notorious for putting the wrong people in the wrong spots over and over and over again.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They fucked up since the Xbox One. Thats when management also started to shift.
Bring back Seamus Blackley or someone else from the OG xbox/ 360 era, give them a hallpass and Im sure we'll see some magic happen.

MS is notorious for putting the wrong people in the wrong spots over and over and over again.

Blackley didn't make a successful videogame console, though. Xbox 360 came out 19 years ago, that is a lifetime in tech. It's ancient history. Not to mention, I don't even think Microsoft wants to be in the business like that. Nadella is a services guy. No surprise that Spencer got the job and then tried to turn Xbox into a service business. I just don't see it.

Meanwhile MS has spent almost $100 billion on games, IP, software. And they're a software company.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I’d cancel the Series S and push forward the X as the only option.

Making everything shackled to such inferior hardware killed their entire generation, and I can’t be convinced otherwise.

Starfield locked at 30fps is one of the major reasons it felt so “last Gen.”

Taur007

1. Remove exclusives from gamepass, sell them only in physical or digital format for $70
2. Advertise every single internal production according with production values, eliminate the possibility of not having a sufficient marketing threshold
3. Immediately stop publishing internal productions on Playstation, leaving only PC and Nintendo
4. Dedicated hardware team that helps third parties release games at high levels of performance and polish, in addition to support for in-house productions that showcase the capabilities of the designed hardware
5. Fight Sony for exclusive or temporal third-party content
6. Investments in studies in ASIA, Japan, Africa
7. Plan a marketing plan that sees Xbox hardware constantly displayed in the city, exhibitions, events, advertising etc, on a monthly basis in major cities, sport event, TV
8. Internal team dedicated to the production quality of their titles from a content and technical point of view. Every studio needs support, and every time
9. Engage fans more about the state of internal games through feedback
10. Abandon metrics such as engagement, community, union, if we all play we all win etc: communities have never been an evaluative measure in the videogame market, they are just smoke and mirrors. The only thing that matters is producing large and small but quality games. Microsoft has a huge responsibility in having produced this aura that the player must necessarily relate to the other. Nobody ever asked for it and the market has always functioned without this variable. This market has the duty to produce quality games, users have nothing to do with it.
11. Completely relaunch Xbox in Europe with the help of all kinds of analysts, consultants and cultural experts from European territories
1. GP entire existence is because of low exclusive sales, Halo 5/MCC, Gears 4, FH2/3/4, Titanfall and Ori are probably the only successful ones, games like Quantum Break, Sunset, Rare Replay, Motorsport 5/6/7, launch sea of thieves, Killer instinct, Halo Wars 2 etc... all bombed at release. removing exclusives would be detrimental, just look at PSnow before the merge.
2. Probably easier said than done
3. Yes ASAP, but i need a game from nintendo as well + i want banjo/crash in smash bros WITH BRANDING (wearing xbox shirt or hat maybe)
4. You mean like the ICE team? i thought they had that already
5. Double edged sword nowadays, are we talking 360 days (bioshock, mass effect exclusivity) or xbone days (tomb raider) where they got crucified even though they FUNDED the game and it wouldn't have existed without them?
6. Doing that with japan already now no?
7. This, they also need to leverge the surface deal with the NFL to include xbox branding everywhere as well, and bring back 360 level commercials (Jump in) was peak
8. Wouldn't that just fall back under your 4th point?
9. Once again easier said than done when fans want updates/trailers every week
10. Stupid idea in today's world, gaas have taken over, as a gamer only player counts matter to me, sales should only matter to execs. would you rather your favorite game have 1mil concurrent players or 1mill sales but half drop the game after 2 months? if you aren't a shareholder who cares? and as long as GP exist, metrics will always be a thing. Also lose the we all play we all win crap ASAP.
11. Don't think it'll matter, europe was always sony land

SHA

AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI, AI,
Don't get me wrong, I do look up to iconic devs but in real world numbers, I would do whatever it takes to get the same level of immersion from all the iconic ips I knew cause it's priceless.

Its a publically traded company. Profits matter. Believe me their money comes from Azure and ther enterprise sources, not from gaming. If gaming loses money for a long enough period, they will get rid of it.
What they need to do is make quality exclusives that you cant play or stream anywhere else other than an Xbox. Thats how Sony and Nintendo are doing it, its not rocket science. If thats too much, they should just give up and go 3rd party.
"We're a business. I've said over and over. I don't get any luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business inside of Microsoft. And we are that today," Xbox gaming CEO Phil Spencer said in a recent interview.

Rockman33

Get rid of Gamepass, bring back games people like, focus on graphics and gameplay, quit telling people they don't need Xbox to enjoy games.

Basically just undo all of Phil. Nothing he's done is good.
You don’t like his backwards compatibility initiative? Or day and date on PC?

I’m not sure Xbox can be saved at this point due to Phil’s complete incompetence.

(1) Focus entirely on studios making REAL Xbox exclusives (no pc)

(2) stop devaluing the industry and end day and date game pass minimum 1 year before a title hits “free”

It's a double-edged sword having Xbox games on the PC. On the one hand, having games on both platforms means more software sales and obviously keeps PC gamers happy since they do not need to own a console to play them. On the other though, it does mean that the exclusives are far less exciting because they are also available on PC and makes the console version look like the inferior version. It also means less hardware sales.

This is almost certainly why Sony have decided to release PC versions of PS5 games 18-24 months after the console version. Helldivers 2 is an exception but that is a live service game so that makes sense and it isn't what I would consider to be a 'system seller'.

Perhaps it would benefit Microsoft more if they took Sony's approach to exclusives and kept them on Xbox for at least a year? They need some superb exclusives first though, true system selling killer apps, not the so-so stuff they've been putting out so far on Xbox Series consoles. They need to do something to make the Xbox a more exciting gaming console rather than just a cheap PC in a small box.

Last edited:

jwaxeman

What does "saving" Xbox look like? Microsoft is big enough and making enough money from its gaming division to keep going the way they are. If you mean eating into PlayStation's market share, I guess I'd make everything exclusive. That will move consoles better. Not sure that's going to be better than opening the brand up as third party though. Honestly I think if Phil is making Microsoft money, he's doing what they want him to do.

gothmog

Gold Member
I would save Xbox by killing it as a brand. I would then introduce a new brand that reflects the future as the biggest third party gaming publisher. Xbox can either be a reference architecture or a specialty brand for hardware like controllers and such.

Make good games.
also double clicking on what this mean (at least for me). Is for them to find their place in the realm of all genres available out there. If they try to mimic Sony with this high budget story driven serious type of games, they will always fall short given the lack of experience. They should use the opportunity of people that are already burned out with this type of games to come up with a new niche, more gameplay focused (mechanic-wise), less serious, don't even think about micro transactions, baked-in DLC etc until you actually have a base of players following you.

Bond007

Go full on 3rd party and dominate that segment.

If I can't:
Gamepass has to go or atleast new releases are not day in.
1yr+ before those releases show up. Gotta take the incentive away from waiting.

Focus on timeline of releases/ focus on no droughts
Prioritze games themselves obviously.
Pursue exclusives and timed
Use that money to out bid Sony on partnerships rather than purchasing studios.

As a gamer that prefers Sony and it's games/exclusives/vision.
I see the above as the best ways to overtake if i valued my job/paycheck as a Microsoft employee.

Top Bottom