• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Live in One of These Nine States, You’ll Need Your Passport to Fly Anywhere

entremet

If you look in your wallet, you'll probably find what you consider to be your real ID — a driver's license or state identification card. However, the Transportation Security Administration is more concerned about REAL ID, a program passed by Congress in 2005 that sets security standards for various forms of identification. Starting on Jan. 22, 2018, some state-issued driver's licenses won't meet the requirements of the program. If your identification is issued by one of the following states, you may encounter some challenges getting through an airport security checkpoint — even for a domestic flight:

Kentucky
Maine
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Washington

There are some exceptions to this rule. According to the TSA, affected travelers ”may continue to use your state-issued driver's license or ID for domestic air travel only if your state has been granted an extension to the compliance deadline by DHS." However, the Department of Homeland Security's website doesn't offer much guidance around the Jan. 22 deadline. Instead, it tracks those nine states and a number of other states that currently have extensions to accept driver's licenses and identification cards at federal facilities and nuclear power plants. All those extensions end on Oct. 10, 2017.

Woah. Rather wacky and since many Americans don't have passports I wonder if this will create shitshow when the expiration date comes. My State met the requirements and I have a passport so I'm good.

https://www.pcma.org/live-one-nine-states-youll-need-passport-fly-anywhere/

ZOONAMI

Why didn't they update the drivers licenses?

Minnesota is working on it but it's taking for fucking ever for some reason. I just renewed my license and still no option for real ID.

But yeah from what I read they have an extension to 2020 or something.

The MN ID is really weird though. It's like all bendy and sometimes at other airports the tsa person checking it I can tell are like what the fuck is this.

Yeah same thing with MN, they have an enhanced ID available now but it doesn't meet the real ID requirements lol.

I'm pretty sure PA was granted an extension as they committed to updating the licenses.

Yeah, Governor Wolf posted on facebook a while ago about this. He said don't worry about it, by the time this will be enforced there is a good chance that PA updates its driver's licenses with an option to have Real ID. It will probably cost a little more at the DMV.

Why didn't they update the drivers licenses?

The crazy thing is Pennsylvania is going to revamp driver's licenses soon but it STILL wont satisfy this new regulation. *sigh* Only in PA.

We have the second largest legislature in the country (next to California) with about 2/3rds the population, we have just about the highest gas tax in the country but the worst roads, and we only tax about 30% of the corporations that do business here with Marcellus shale drillers going completely untouched. Gotta love it.

Bureaucracy most likely. States are notoriously slow with meeting federally mandated stuff. It's nothing new.

@sangreal. Good to know. Why are they opposed?

Something about a centralized database of every American being vulnerable and dangerous, and the stigma of everybody needing to carry a "federal ID card". I don't really get it. I live in Maine and everyone I know is immensely annoyed we didn't immediately comply with the IDs.

Hari Seldon

PA's opposition to this was that the Feds were mandating ID changes but not providing funding for it. So I'm guessing they somehow got some funding to update them now by holding out lol.

Clockwork

My drivers license has been real ID compliant since May 2016 when I renewed it. All I had to do was bring in some additional identification (birth certificate etc).

Now it has a star in the corner indicating compliance.

jtt935

South Carolinian here and our government has said that it would require a ridiculous amount of money to be up to code with the license changes and that they're unwilling to foot the bill. I don't think anybody here really understands what our licenses are supposed to look like since they've changed so much over the years but we're being told they still aren't good enough.

The crazy thing is Pennsylvania is going to revamp driver's licenses soon but it STILL wont satisfy this new regulation. *sigh* Only in PA.

We have the second largest legislature in the country (next to California) with about 2/3rds the population, we have just about the highest gas tax in the country but the worst roads, Gotta love it.

Ahem** South Carolina has the honor of worst roads sir.

Minnesota is working on it but it's taking for fucking ever for some reason. I just renewed my license and still no option for real ID.

Minnesota isn't moving it along because of disputes in the legislature. Last I heard there was a bill to update the IDs so they complied, but it got shot down because of tacked on provisions that had nothing to do with it.

vypek

I keep hearing different stuff for PA. I know I'll be flying at least once next year so I guess I'll just carry the passport just in case since I already have one.

Top Bottom