• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGDA (not) stepping up to possibly remove Tim Langdell from board

woodypop

Zzoram said:
If anything, he's an enemy of the IGDA and somehow became their leader. The fact that he attacks anyone who puts the word edge in their game name only hurts developers.
Senator Palpatine -> Emperor -> chucked down a chasm?

border

Ferrio said:
If a guy can go 15 years living off a single word, it must make him a pretty ruthless businessman which might make a good elected leader. He's still a bastard though.
I don't think someone who ekes out a living with nuisance lawsuits is really what you'd call a ruthless leader though. Sure he lacks integrity, but he also lacks vision and scope. He's not interested in dominating a field.....just in scraping out a living with as little effort as is possible.

fernoca

EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...
EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE.

Come a sue me you fucking idiot.

How did a guy with a 15+ year history of doing absolutely nothing but suing people over protecting a bullshit copyright get elected to the IGDA in the first place?

My guess? Right place, right time. It happens every so often in a board/association that nobody really wants to be the leader, so some douchebag goes "fine, I'll run" and is therefore acclaimed. I'm not saying that's how it went down, but it's a possibility.

AAK

I need to trademark the word "War".

Think of what I'd get.... Fuels of War, Gears of War, God of War, War of the Monsters, Rome: Total War, Warcraft, damn!

I'd be filthy rich.

fernoca

AAK said:
I need to trademark the word "War".

Think of what I'd get.... Fuels of War, Gears of War, God of War, War of the Monsters, Rome: Total War, Warcraft, damn!

I'd be filthy rich.
Plus Wario.. :p

fernoca said:
EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE...EDGE.

Come a sue me you fucking idiot.

Beaulieu

Turns out it wasnt even sent by the IGDA :lol what a lack of profesionalism...

Dear Members,

Recently an email went out that appeared to have originated from IGDA. The return address of this email appeared as: "Concerned_Members_of_the_IGDA@IGDA.org."
That email address was spoofed and the communication was not an official IGDA communication. We are currently reviewing the methods by which it was sent to see if this was sent out by people ignorant of proper use of the IGDA website or if there was malicious actions involved. We are also reviewing the method by which your email addresses were obtained and if that was done ethically or not. It is my hope that this was done by someone simply overzealous about their cause and not for destructive reasons.

Please be aware IGDA was not responsible for this email and does not have anything to do with the content or the links provided. You should read and use such links at your own risk.

We will investigate this issue and provide you with information on our findings as they are confirmed.

Thank you,

Joshua Caulfield
Executive Director
IGDA

Beaulieu

ColR100 said:
The IGDA is a load of bollocks anyway.

You expect there to be respectable individuals and full of information at the events they hold........apparently this isn't what you find though. It's a load of old men standing around chatting among themselves, and they have little interest in meeting any new people anyway. If you do manage to speak to any of them, then you'll quickly find out they're washed up old dinosaurs anyway, with the vast majority of them being far removed from todays actual production and how things are done nowadays.

The IGDA just bullshits people into giving them money anyway. I'd just advise stay away.

The monthly events they hold in Montreal are, most of the time, very informative and fun, with interesting guests.

bryehn

Beaulieu said:
The monthly events they hold in Montreal are, most of the time, very informative and fun, with interesting guests.

I go to some of the ones in Ottawa and they're generally a good time as well (with free beers).

More to the point at hand: I was really surprised to see the follow-up from Coulton. I wonder how they (the spoofers) got all our e-mails.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I love how the IDGA board is concerned about someone using their name in a bad way over an email whilst Tit LongBell continues to make a mockery of everything they apparently stand for.

they've stoodby and watch this happen, aware what a large section of their members think

So IGDA are indeed making no movement at all, indeed seemingly ignoring the massive quantity of members that have weighed in on this?

I hope no-one renews their membership en masse. What a fucking useless organisation. What use is it to any dev if theyre supporting Langdell over every single dev signed up? You might as well be paying money to have someone punch you in the face every time you use the word "Edge".

Sonos

Banned
Road said:
Allow me to be stupid, but how will that help anything?

Aren't his lawsuits particular and under the responsible Judiciary?

Isn't his bullshit trademark the problem?

he wont be able to use his association as leverage in court which he has used in the past.

Yackie

LabouredSubterfuge said:
And not a single gratuitous picture of that awful U2 guitarist in sight...

2wdrivo.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Beaulieu said:

:lol :lol :lol

Awesome. Big win for the videogame business all-around. We're so mature and professional.

Chrange

Banned
Langdell's response on that thread, for those who don't want to go looking:

The theory that all that was done was to open the form mail and see that a member's ID was in the url and so they just changed the number to spam the entire member directory does not seem to fit the facts.

The emails were received with an opening "Dear [first name] [last name]" - since entering a series of numbers for the member IDs would not permit the person spaming this email to see the name of the member, how could they have started every email with the member's full name? They would need to know what name went with which member ID#.

Remember, many people who recieved the email were hidden from the member list, so there is no way the sender(s) of the email could link any given member ID to any given member name for members not listed on the site using the method someone earlier proposed was used.

So that method suggested earlier was probably not used - anyone got another idea as to how this was done? Or better still, anyone able to confirm who did it?

The message system they used to distribute the e-mail to members has been disabled. Apparently Langdell is the one in charge of the tech side of things, though in the thread he still couldn't understand how it was done without hacking. The guy is just useless on all fronts.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Beaulieu said:

I never thought it was the IDGA, I'm surprised people did. The IGDA wouldn't send out a mass e-mail to get people to sign a petition, some concerned members might though.

*shrug*

Chrange said:
Langdell's response on that thread, for those who don't want to go looking:

The message system they used to distribute the e-mail to members has been disabled. Apparently Langdell is the one in charge of the tech side of things, though in the thread he still couldn't understand how it was done without hacking. The guy is just useless on all fronts.

And to explain how they got names for "Dear [first name] [last name]" from a random number, the contact form displays the name matching that ID, even if it's set to hidden.

Here's Tim Langdell's, who isn't hidden but you get the idea.
http://www.igda.org/member/emailer.php?mid=20050011

"Please fill in the information below and click Send to email your message to Tim Langdell."

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Slavik81 said:
Why did IGDA members vote him onto the board in the first place?

Apathy on the part of the constituents combined with what appears to be a complete lack of a reasonable background check. Or at the very least, anything they found (a history of not paying developers and throwing cease-and-desists around like they're his business card) was deemed not important enough to prohibit him from running.

Look, the IGDA's upper management wasn't even really thought of as relevant until this story broke, so it shouldn't be any surprise that people voted for the guy who said that he made some videogames back in the 80's and could technically say he was somehow related to Edge magazine.

The real question on my mind is whether they take the collected signatures seriously. If they're legit signatures by legit IGDA members, I don't see why they should ignore the issue - even if the e-mail that was sent out was done by hackers. Prosecuting the guy who cracked your system and then dealing frankly and directly with the interests of the people you represent is the surest way for the IGDA to get over this and move on as an organization. But if they pretend these signatures never happened while making vaguely threatening posts on their own boards about "Who did this!?" then they're just going to make things a whole lot worse for themselves as people feel ignored.

SecretBonusPoint said:
So IGDA are indeed making no movement at all, indeed seemingly ignoring the massive quantity of members that have weighed in on this?

Oh, there's been movement. It's just movement towards closing ranks to defend Langdell and to call their paying members whiners for complaining about the situation. :lol

Sonos

Banned
after reading their message board they seem to be the governing body of nothing at all and more or less a bunch of goofballs. like me.

Burger

The worst thing about this douche bag is the 'compromise' he sent to Mobigame for their iPhone game:

Pay a license fee to use the 'Edge' brand, change the name of the game to 'Edge: A homage to Bobby Bearing' and place 'EDGE (Inc) presents:' on the title screen. Oh, and hand over 25% of revenue so far.

IGDA board member. Really...

Chinner

Banned
Burger said:
Pay a license fee to use the 'Edge' brand, change the name of the game to 'Edge: A homage to Bobby Bearing' and place 'EDGE (Inc) presents:' on the title screen. Oh, and hand over 25% of revenue so far.
Those were the conditions? Wow.

tirminyl

Wow. This is completely insane and hilarious at the same time. How the hell do you get a trademark for a word and have the ability to enforce it on a global level?

I'm going to file a trademark for the letter E and sue him 4 times for each use in his name and company name.

I was wondering what this e-mail (the real one, from Joshua Caulfield) was about this morning. :lol I don't remember having received that "fake" mail.

Burger

tirminyl said:
Wow. This is completely insane and hilarious at the same time. How the hell do you get a trademark for a word and have the ability to enforce it on a global level?

I'm going to file a trademark for the letter E and sue him 4 times for each use in his name and company name.

Because you can trademark a word in context. For instance, you could sell a Halo that goes on your head in shops, but you couldn't sell a videogame with Halo in the title, as it is trademarked.

This Tim Langdell cunt has trademarked EDGE and its derivatives, and sues any poor sap that uses the word. How he manages to sue people like Fox for the movie "The Edge" I don't know, although I suspect it's because he has the word trademarked for general entertainment purposes. I'm not terribly familiar with US copyright law.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't think I've ever hated someone I don't know so much.

How someone involved in the Commodore 64 days, bascally the bedroom programmer days and the beginning of the industry (especially in the UK) can now be actively making life so hard for small developers is beyond me. The iPhone especially is the much needed rebirth of those days, and a way people can make an impact and get into an industry that had become closed-off and feeding off itself for years. How it's allowed when his strategy is so transparent and without merit is also beyond me. And how is on the board of an organisation like this just boggles the mind.

What's sadder is that Fairlight was actually a really good game for it's time, one I actually enjoyed. Then again, how much did this guy really have to do with it?

Seriously, he can go to Hell.

Burger said:
The worst thing about this douche bag is the 'compromise' he sent to Mobigame for their iPhone game:

IGDA board member. Really...

Wow. Members need to grow a spine and conduct a mass walkout. Organisation has clearly lost any merit or standing at this point, and the "games media/journalists" should be propagating this as a far bigger story than it is currently.

DECK'ARD said:
What's sadder is that Fairlight was actually a really good game for it's time, one I actually enjoyed. Then again, how much did this guy really have to do with it?

He ripped off the guy who wrote it, by all accounts.
I also heard a story that Langdell got thrown out of a Sony GDC party because one of the people he ripped off in the 80s turned out to be Phil Harrison's brother-in-law.

Dr Zhivago said:
I also heard a story that Langdell got thrown out of a Sony GDC party because one of the people he ripped off in the 80s turned out to be Phil Harrison's brother-in-law.

I used to read British Spectrum magazines as a kid and had heard of Bo Jangeborg as the person who created Fairlight. I had never heard of this Tim Langdell character until this controversy started.

FirewalkR

Burger said:
Because you can trademark a word in context. For instance, you could sell a Halo that goes on your head in shops, but you couldn't sell a videogame with Halo in the title, as it is trademarked.

This Tim Langdell cunt has trademarked EDGE and its derivatives, and sues any poor sap that uses the word. How he manages to sue people like Fox for the movie "The Edge" I don't know, although I suspect it's because he has the word trademarked for general entertainment purposes. I'm not terribly familiar with US copyright law.

The worst part is that, while he uses "Edge" as the name of the company, he doesn't use it in games or other stuff. He's a fucking trademark squatter, going after anyone who uses "Edge" even as part of a name. Then he does incredibly blatant stuff like that "Mirrors" crap in the (shitty) site or registering "Edgy" after Mobigame suggested the name change. And I like how in the (crap) site, on the project list, he has this incoming "Racers" multiplatform game. It's like after all the questions regarding "what has the company produced these last few years", which he avoided, he thought "lemme just put something up", and there ya go: "Racers", great name, with some crap Wipeout derivative ship design.

Oh, it really seems like he's still involved in some "bedroom coding" because all of his actions and the quality of his site make me think of some douche amateur doing MS Paint work in his old PC in his bedroom, googling for "Edge" every day, slapping some more shit in that sorry excuse for a site and trying to make a living off of honest, hard-working and talented people, which is what he'll never be.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Graphics Horse said:
And to explain how they got names for "Dear [first name] [last name]" from a random number, the contact form displays the name matching that ID, even if it's set to hidden.

Here's Tim Langdell's, who isn't hidden but you get the idea.
http://www.igda.org/member/emailer.php?mid=20050011

"Please fill in the information below and click Send to email your message to Tim Langdell."
The fact that he, the person responsible for the tech side of things had to ask the very people on that forum who now can't stand him about something like this is just too funny.

jay

Anyone read the blog or forum posts from the IGDA lawyer who defends Langdell? Pretty hilarious how big an asshole he is.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dr Zhivago said:

So he's always been a parasite feeding off people more creative and talented than he is?

Someone with more money and lawyers than he has needs to step up to the plate and crush him. Isn't most of what he's doing scaring people who can't afford to defend themselves in court anyway?

What he's trying to do with Mirror's Edge looks ridiculous and surely wouldn't stand up to scrutiny. Trademark laws can't be this vague can they?

I hope EA do something good with their power for once and take him to the cleaners, and set a precedent that will maybe stop it in future.

And yeah the IGDA has been shown to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and are flying against everything they are meant to stand for. They deserve to suffer a mass exodus of members and go down the toilet as well.

It would all be quite funny if it wasn't bad for the industry, amd especially small developers. The whole situation is quite ridiculous.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
DECK'ARD said:
The whole situation is quite ridiculous.

The height of its ridiculousness is that he's trademark hijacked 'Edge of Twilight' and bullied the devs into paying royalties on it while this has all been going on. Business as usual.

He fits the profile of a sociopath so well that we should probably be thankful his life's work is screwing other creatives rather than, say, abducting hitchhikers.

Top Bottom