• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think it is starting to benefit MS and detrimental to Sony in 2014 - at the moment they have released PVZ and next titanfall, they talk big about Halo 5 / Sunset / Crackdown 3 etc etc

Titanfall, I agree. Insane marketing and non-stop talking of TF for the past 2 months. PvZ, I dunno. I'd argue the game is flying under the radar because of Titanfall atm.

MS has talked NOTHING about Halo 5/Sunset/QB/Crackdown 3 at all in 2014. All they've been talking about is Titanfall & "please wait until E3."
I'm sorry, but leaks don't count.

WE are getting nothing at all from Sony, not even about Ps4 versions of recent new games like GranT and TLOU...just stone silence.

Big announcements never come in Jan/Feb. Earliest is always March/GDC, but even that is rare nowadays. Most of the time it's E3.

If you're talking about games, then Sony, in the past 2 months, has released media information sharings for MLB, The Order, Hohokum, Helldivers & inFamous. Five games, more than MS ever shared in terms of individual game info.

But of course, Sony talking about games like MLB, The Order, Helldivers, etc don't count because they're not Titanfall. /s

Sony has nothing to worry about, and if they really are revealing VR in two weeks, they're going to hurt MS further.

Except that Sony isn't keeping quiet though. In terms of talking about post-March releases, Sony has been the most active on that front. They've had media events talking about MLB, Helldivers and The Order. They've also dripped some information in their blog for these titles...

MS have been extremely loud in the past 2 months, but if we sum it all up, what are all those MS news?

- fixing party chat/streaming
- fixing controller
- price drop
- Titanfall bundle
- Titanfal, Titanfall, Titanfall and more Titanfall media.

Titanfall, fixes and a bunch of reactionary measures.

Where's news on Below? Minecraft XB1 Edition? Project Spark? Kinect Sports? D4? How about sharing details on games that are supposed to come after March?

Honestly, I think there's a lot of misperception that MS is somehow talking more good things than Sony just because Titanfall is the hot big news right now, but if you remove all the chaff... MS has really not talked about anything else at all for the past 2 months.

injurai

Banned
Sony has nothing to worry about, and if they really are revealing VR in two weeks, they're going to hurt MS further.

I think they're success in VR will directly depend on how compatible it will be for games also being developed with Oculus Rift in mind.

If Sony wants to enforce their own product then that is fine, but I don't think they can shift a paradigm in the industry alone. Certainly MS has all their eggs in the Kinect which has proven to be foolish 4 years running now.

I'm not as into the MS games that are announced, most of them are low on my totem pole in what I consider mainstays of the gaming world. But others really like them, and they could give MS a strong holiday season this year. But all this speculation is really worth nought until E3 rolls around.

StuBurns

Banned
I think they're success in VR will directly depend on how compatible it will be for games also being developed with Oculus Rift in mind.
I don't want to derail the thread with VR talk, as it's my latest obsession, but I'm sure if it's real, it'll have plenty of Rift titles, there are already a few Rift games out/announced for PS4.

vpance

I think it was rumored that Stigs IP was VR capable. That's a pretty bad blow to their VR push plans if true. They'll have to rely on DruiveCloob and whatever else they could be cooking for it. But that's a big loss.

Leflus

Where's news on Below? Minecraft XB1 Edition? Project Spark? Kinect Sports? D4? How about sharing details on games that are supposed to come after March?
I'll give you Below, Minecraft and D4, but Project Spark and Kinect Sports are regularly in the media.

Kinect Sports even has a confirmed release date (april 8th in NA, april 11th in Europe).

I think it was rumored that Stigs IP was VR capable. That's a pretty bad blow to their VR push plans if true. They'll have to rely on DruiveCloob and whatever else they could be cooking for it. But that's a big loss.

Rumour came from thuway, if I'm not mistaken.

And frankly, I doubt it. If it was VR-capable, then even if the full-game got canned, I can't imagine Sony not releasing at least a demo/vertical slice of a shooter game built to be compatible with VR as a non-racing showcase experience.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I can't believe people aren't excited for a next-gen God of War. Can you even imagine how it may potentially look? If they use their titan tech, which they introduced in GoW3, and used on Ascension, it could very well be the defining PS4 game. Yes, they need to change it up a lot and have it set in a different timeline for it to not repeat itself, but shit, people, it could very well be a monster of a game. It's terrible that their new IP was cancelled, but I, for one, am quite excited for the prospects that the studio holds as far as GoW goes.

geordiemp

Yeah, we only heard stuff about....

- MLB - The Show
- The Order: 1886
- New inFamous footage/informations
- HELLDIVERS
- Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
- VR headset rumors
- new VITA stuff (games/model, etc.)

.... from Sony.
Clearly not enough for the first 1 1/2 months in 2014....!

And MS talks big about Crackdown 3 and Sunset Overdrive?
Must have missed the announcement of Crackdown and the new footage of Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive.
Could you provide my a link, please :)

That's the point, there is no official stuff, but there are many MS type 'controlled' leaks on neogaf recently, from that ntlcoln or whatever listing rumours for next couple of years for xbone,,,,even phil spencer tweeting about sunset being most played..

Yes, infamous was at E3, so was the order.

Played dead nation years ago....so what ?
Not heard of helldrivers, is that an indie game ?
Vita ? Talking about Ps4 here.....
MLB the show - is that an American thing ? Not into NFL or whatever it is, from UK

So, I restate my point, only leak that's new is VR headset, which is mega, but just a whisper. Everything else that's 'big' was shown at E3 last year.

Why is Ps4 not getting versions of recent releases such as last of us...

Just some more info on whats coming this year would be nice, even a tweet, a line, maybe even a puzzle or something fun...

I can't believe people aren't excited for a next-gen God of War. Can you even imagine how it may potentially look? If they use their titan tech, which they introduced in GoW3, and used on Ascension, it could very well be the defining PS4 game. Yes, they need to change it up a lot and have it set in a different timeline for it to not repeat itself, but shit, people, it could very well be a monster of a game. It's terrible that their new IP was cancelled, but I, for one, am quite excited for the prospects that the studio holds as far as GoW goes.
They need to scrap the terrible fixed camera system. I would rage so hard if we get them again, and it won't any sense at all to use them. Let us freely move the camera and gaze at the beauty of the graphics in all of its glory.

They need to scrap the terrible fixed camera system. I would rage so hard if we get them again, and it won't any sense at all to use them. Let us freely move the camera and gaze at the beauty of the graphics in all of its glory.
No. You will get fixed cameras and you will like them!

geordiemp

Agree, fixed cameras are from Ps2 era or people learning to use the joystick.

Fixed camera is such a turn off I just cant play them unless a 2D indie platformer...

That's the point, there is no official stuff, but there are many MS type 'controlled' leaks on neogaf recently, from that ntlcoln or whatever listing rumours for next couple of years for xbone,,,,even phil spencer tweeting about sunset being most played..

Just some more info on whats coming this year would be nice, even a tweet, a line, maybe even a puzzle or something fun...

I'm sorry if I refuse to take 'controlled leaks' and 'Phil Spencer talking about 20 different games on Twitter' as news.

Sony's VR is non-existent until proven/announced. Same with any MS leaks.

If tomorrow, DemonNite leaks the most glorious E3 line-up ever from Sony, does that suddenly make Sony win? Even when it's nothing more than a leak? What if it was wrong?

It's fun to partake in leaks threads and discussions, but to me, those are nothing but noise to distract the boring periods in between companies making announcements. Real news come from the mouths of the companies, which is why we patiently anticipate events like GDC, E3 and Gamescom.

Corpsepyre

Banned

The camera system worked wonders for the God of War games. Showed what you needed to see, panned out just at the right time to show you the incredible vistas, and was just handled brilliantly. Never once did I have a problem with it. Compare games like Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden II and the latest Castlevania with God of War and tell me whether you would prefer cameras that got in your way half the time or something fixed and rock-solid for the playthrough. I'd go with the latter, easily.

However, does that mean they don't need to implement a movable camera for their future game? Not necessarily. if they can make it work and have it act in a non-obtrusive way, then I'll be fine with the decision.

No. You will get fixed cameras and you will like them!
I didn't like them much in Ascension. I do know that it can result in graphics that are leaps above and beyond what is usually possible on that hardware, but still, i hope they can truly take it to the next gen level with PS4.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Maybe the the graphics are glorious because the fixed camera? With a fixed camera the devs were able to play lots of tricks that made the games look like they were using magic tech to perform miracles. They used matte painting techniques, clever use of hiding polys when not being shown , and classic cinematography. Once you get of the fixed camera it will look like every other game.

Honestly I wish more games went fixed camera

Yes, GoW most likely.

Which would be a bit of a bummer.

GoW is in need of a drastic shift in direction. I would have like to see someone new got a chance to reinvent the series because normally when someone who helped define a creation tries and redefine it they don't go far enough.

Then again on the other side 2 was far and away the game the most people liked the most (I liked 1 the most but thats just me) and next to no one felt strongly about 3. If someone was to do it who worked on the series before then Barlog is the man but I kind of liked that each GoW game had a different director and a different feel. Even when it worked out for the worst (GoW3)

We need some game announcements SCE. Hurry up please. I was so hyped for this game, Stig did a great job with everything besides the story on GOWIII.

dr_rus

Which would be a bit of a bummer.

GoW is in need of a drastic shift in direction. I would have like to see someone new got a chance to reinvent the series because normally when someone who helped define a creation tries and redefine it they don't go far enough.

Then again on the other side 2 was far and away the game the most people liked the most (I liked 1 the most but thats just me) and next to no one felt strongly about 3. If someone was to do it who worked on the series before then Barlog is the man.
GoW is in need of disappearing for at least five years. After that they may try to reboot it. Any slasher in a new setting, with a new characters and not under GoW brand would probably do better at this point due to how fatigued the franchise is.

DemonNite

I'm sorry if I refuse to take 'controlled leaks' and 'Phil Spencer talking about 20 different games on Twitter' as news.

Sony's VR is non-existent until proven/announced. Same with any MS leaks.

If tomorrow, DemonNite leaks the most glorious E3 line-up ever from Sony, does that suddenly make Sony win? Even when it's nothing more than a leak? What if it was wrong?

It's fun to partake in leaks threads and discussions, but to me, those are nothing but noise to distract the boring periods in between companies making announcements. Real news come from the mouths of the companies, which is why we patiently anticipate events like GDC, E3 and Gamescom.

Gaf wins. I lose.

Besides, a leak will only keep Gaf quiet for another week.

conman

So basically: Sony has an unbelievably successful piece of hardware and even less of a shot of getting any must-have first-party software on it? Don't fumble this now, Sony.

I would hate to see PS4 become just the receptacle for up-rezzed last-gen titles and iterations on existing IP. But so far, that's exactly what we're seeing. All the more reason to stand on the sidelines this gen.

GoW is in need of disappearing for at least five years. After that they may try to reboot it. Any slasher in a new setting, with a new characters and not under GoW brand would probably do better at this point due to how fatigued the franchise is.

Yeah. I think they probably should have let it be after 3 and returned to it on PS4 with a new direction and saga.

Instead we got GOW:A and so many HD ports.

Maybe they should have done a new IP in GoW:A's spot at the end of the PS3's life like they did with Naughty Dog or done it for PS4 on day 1.

God of War has definitely been milked and its suffering from classic over saturation. Same thing has happened to Halo when it became a yearly thing. Its loses its special-ness and its hardcore audience starts get tired of it.

vpance

Rumour came from thuway, if I'm not mistaken.

And frankly, I doubt it. If it was VR-capable, then even if the full-game got canned, I can't imagine Sony not releasing at least a demo/vertical slice of a shooter game built to be compatible with VR as a non-racing showcase experience.

They really should have just bit the bullet, not changed anything, and damn the Destiny comparisons. And having it VR capable alone would have given it enough differentiation. Unless of course Destiny is VR ready too, lol.

Pennywise

Sony can't make enough PS4s, there's no reason for them to excite the audience until they meet demand.

TitanFall is really MS's only huge exclusive this year, and the bundle isn't even preordering as high as the InFamous bundle.

They still have to sell their software through.
Some buzz surrounding the hardware as well as the software is always good.
However I know announcements won't happen now, so close to GDC and E3, besides Sony should know when stuff is ready to be shown.
But we are still little childs who want to know more :p

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You give Gaf too much credit.

3 days.
How do you stop GAF from being on your ass? You don't write anything on twitter and you don't talk about your game.

Compare the amount of topics created about Sunset Overdrive vs. The Order 1886. Both are alleged to come out in the same year.

StuBurns

Banned
They still have to sell their software through.
Some buzz surrounding the hardware as well as the software is always good.
However I know announcements won't happen now, so close to GDC and E3, besides Sony should know when stuff is ready to be shown.
But we are still little childs who want to know more :p
Of course, I'm pretty sure I would actually yelp if a TLG trailer suddenly popped up on GAF in a minute.

But it makes sense to only reveal as much as you need to sustain the mind share, if they do announce VR at GDC, I'd imagine they'd announce a first party game, or rereveal something like Until Dawn. But E3 is what matters. What the market will think of Insomniac or Remedy's games is yet to be known, but TitanFall is MS's biggest game until Halo 5, and Sony are already not going to have to do anything to compensate it.

If they continue to gain ground, and do a full blitz at E3, they'll solidify the generation.

I think MS were insane not to pull Kinect for this TitanFall bundle.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Except that Sony isn't keeping quiet though. In terms of talking about post-March releases, Sony has been the most active on that front. They've had media events talking about MLB, Helldivers and The Order. They've also dripped some information in their blog for these titles...

MS have been extremely loud in the past 2 months, but if we sum it all up, what are all those MS news?

- fixing party chat/streaming
- fixing controller
- price drop
- Titanfall bundle
- Titanfal, Titanfall, Titanfall and more Titanfall media.

Titanfall, fixes and a bunch of reactionary measures.

Honestly, I think there's a lot of misperception that MS is somehow talking more good things than Sony just because Titanfall is the hot big news right now, but if you remove all the chaff... MS has really not talked about anything else at all for the past 2 months.

MS keeps talking because that's great PR and news for them, and they need every bit of it. Sales wise, things could be much better for XB1. They are going all out for Titanfall. They called up a small press conference with the Associated Press to announce their Twitch streaming app, for crying out loud.

MS has nothing to lose by announcing their entire slate for 2014/2015. The majority of MS studio's projects are already accounted for. There are still some games left to announce at E3 I'm sure, and if the insider guy is right we'll start getting Halo 2 Anniversary news before or right after Titanfall to keep the momentum going.

Sony has nothing to gain by announcing anything right now. PS4s are still completely out of stock at all major online retailers. Most stores have not gotten a reliable shipment since December (that is, a large supply of systems). By announcing two new IPs/games tomorrow, they gain nothing.

Sony has a lot of new games in the works, much of which we don't know about. To think differently is to be incredibly ignorant of all the first party devs they have. All of them, as of last year or earlier, have switched over to PS4.

So think about E3 coming up. Think of the fact that by that time, Microsoft will know whether or not Titanfall has changed the XB1 sales forecast by a significant amount. They will be ready to announce literally every possible thing they have. They might even have a new SKU or price cut. MS is going to want to dominate the headlines for E3, in the same way Sony did with their $399/used games playable announcement.

Now lets go back to Sony. E3 is four months away. There are major unannounced games as well as games we yet to know anything about, like Uncharted. There is the potential for MS to go batshit crazy at E3 in the hopes of turning their sales around. Do you announce brand new games in March, when your system is already sold out and the major first/third party games start to roll out (Infamous, MGS5, Final Fantasy, MLB)? Or do you wait till June, when your supply of PS4s are finally normalized, need to be moved off shelves, and have a competitor that will try to dominate E3 at all costs?

There will not be any major announcements until E3 for Sony. Some people are gonna go crazy waiting that long. Hell, there are already plenty of crazy people in this thread. We just gotta deal with it.

EL CUCO

For whatever its worth.
c8ArZhd.jpg

Shu is a coward, and showed a very clear lack of faith in the team and the new IP. That's not what a leader should be, he was conservative and stabbed his team in the back, this will have repercussions not only on SSM but in other teams as well, we have Stig that proved himself providing the most successful (profitable) single SKU GOW game, had his project tampered and ultimately killed because management didn't supported his project. If the cancellation would have been only for creative reasons I wouldn't say anything about it, but this shows suits messing a project up maybe by design just to not upset Activision. Disgusting behaviour, I'm disgusted and those tweets from the people that were working on it are heartbreaking.

andycapps

Gaf wins. I lose.

Besides, a leak will only keep Gaf quiet for another week.

Wouldn't even be quiet for a week. Certain people on GAF would be like, "Oh wow, Sony's all hype, let us see some gameplay!" Basically, you can't make everyone happy, they need to stick with what their plan is and focus on delivering great experiences.

geordiemp

If you're talking about games, then Sony, in the past 2 months, has released media information sharings for MLB, The Order, Hohokum, Helldivers & inFamous. Five games, more than MS ever shared in terms of individual game info.

But of course, Sony talking about games like MLB, The Order, Helldivers, etc don't count because they're not Titanfall. /s

MLB - come on, Im UK, its like me telling you there is a good cricket game where you can set slips and rotate silly mid point and choose mid off or midd on to your bowling line. (if you get my point)........

Helldivers - top down shooter - looks like an indie game / dead nation - flew well under my radar...is it a PSN game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom