• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

I'm just struggling as to understand why they think they don't need more exclusives other than possibly arrogance.

There are a million reasons why this project could have been canceled. To jump straight to "they're arrogant that they don't need many exclusives" is premature.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sounds like SSM was getting a little large, and they're taking this moving period to realign their teams. Sucks, but it doesn't sound like its the result of poor game performances or anything.
They are moving location so they can become even bigger. I don't think it was layoffs because they wanted to keep the team small.

kpaadet

I honestly don't have a lot of faith in the man. I think he's incredibly likeable, but I believe Sony's worldwide studios have been very poorly managed over the past 5-8 years.

Yeah Sony was definitely much better off 8 years ago, I would write a much deeper analyze but I am late for my 2nd job so I can pay off the rest of my PS3 loan.

SHADES

Hmm seems odd though, just last week when Irrational games made their announcement SSM were one of the 1st to tweet that they were looking for devs.

Perhaps it's just a "trimming the fat" exercise & not a sign of any trouble over at SSM.

They had 3 teams and helped with external development so I could see the team not helmed by Stig and Cory getting cut down and put towards the other teams.

Which in turn means letting go of redundant positions the other teams have filled already.

Alchemy

I'm just struggling as to understand why they think they don't need more exclusives other than possibly arrogance.

Game development isn't "MORE HANDS MORE GAMES". The situation here sounds like they had something stuck in preproduction with a some developers floating around unable to contribute because their project wasn't ready or going forward. Project is cancelled, developers who can't contribute to other projects (or aren't needed) are let go.

They are moving location so they can become even bigger. I don't think it was layoffs because they wanted to keep the team small.

Realigning teams isn't always about getting smaller or avoiding getting too big. Development studios need to get bigger in specific parts, hiring 100 QA testers certainly gets the company larger but doesn't necessarily help them make games. Especially if they already have QA on staff.

Is this really such a big deal?

Santa Monica just got a new bigger building.
Santa Monica has been doing a lot of hiring.

Is it possible that they are just getting rid of the dead weight after already hiring their replacements? Perhaps they didn't want to relocate to the new building?

I hate to see layoffs, but it seems strange that huge layoffs would happen after those two things.

Begaria

Meanwhile, at misterx...

"lol$ony is laying people off?!?! those sony ponies at sonygaf are BURNING! Sony is dying, with ther credit downgrded to JUNK STATS. Maybe thse guy will get picked up at Black Tusk LOL"

"good find..."

Seriously though, I would've liked to see what that cancelled project was.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Then it actually makes sense. Maybe they were over leveraged at lower levels in the game production chain.
I think so. I was just talking with a few people from the studio a couple weeks ago and they were all very positive about the future. Either this came out of nowhere or was a minor restucturing effort.

rdrr gnr

I think so. I was just talking with a few people from the studio a couple weeks ago and they were all very positive about the future. Either this came out of nowhere or was a minor restucturing effort.
You really can't be the judge of that without knowing what was canceled. Were they just thrown a project until these changes could take place or was something significant canceled?

Oersted

Is it possible that they are just getting rid of the dead weight after already hiring their replacements? Perhaps they didn't want to relocate to the new building?

I hate to see layoffs, but it seems strange that huge layoffs would happen after those two things.

I know it might be tough since we tend to see the world trough company eyes, but could we please stop talking about workers in such a way?

Meanwhile, at misterx...

"lol$ony is laying people off?!?! those sony ponies at sonygaf are BURNING! Sony is dying, with ther credit downgrded to JUNK STATS. Maybe thse guy will get picked up at Black Tusk LOL"

"good find..."

Seriously though, I would've liked to see what that cancelled project was.
Someone obviously didn't get enough attention during their childhood.

Vizzeh

Banned

Reading that makes sense, hopefully your right and Sony are just trimming the fat. They seem fairly sizable. More news would have been nice, keep speculation down.

RulkezX

No you're right , having all these facts laid out clearly in front of us , it's clear that this is the return of arrogant Sony.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck Sony? This is the last thing you should be doing. Arrogant Sony already making a come back?

This is a display of arrogance? I also saw your explanation saying they need as many exclusives as possible, but that doesn't make sense.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
isnt team ico done aftet tlg anyway? this is bizzare without a major release during this recent move im really hoping this isnt a true downsize of one of sonys most talented studios

WalkMan

Banned
I know it might be tough since we tend to see the world trough company eyes, but could we please stop talking about workers in such a way?

What's wrong with that description? If someone isn't contributing then they aren't entitled to a job at all.

rawd

Wonder if it was that game they blurred out in the last season of The Tester when all the contestants were losing their shit.

vpance

I wonder why they couldn't integrate them into Stig or Barlog's teams since they're supposedly in expansion mode. And I doubt Barlog has hired a full team yet in a few months.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hopefully they all get paid for a month like they did for Irrational games until they find a steady job. Wish the best of them.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Realigning teams isn't always about getting smaller or avoiding getting too big. Development studios need to get bigger in specific parts, hiring 100 QA testers certainly gets the company larger but doesn't necessarily help them make games. Especially if they already have QA on staff.
Sure, maybe they had local QA and they were made redundant because Foster City increased their QA which serves all of SCE WWS.

It would be interesting which departments or teams were affected and how numerous.

My point was just that the layoffs are not motivated because they became too big. The location move was motivated because they didn't have enough space and a move, which is something that is very expensive and probably not done on a whim doesn't fit together with downsizing across the board.

Like what other people suggested likely this is the ascension team...

The statement
re-alignment against priority growth areas within SCE WWS.
followed by
it is necessary to make changes to better serve the future projects of the studio.
makes me believe that they are cutting off the extra team that isn't fully integrated in a already moving project

Likely Stig's and Cory's project have become the main focus instead of stretching the studio too thin

My condolences to those who where effected

Idk what the big deal is, I mean it sucks for the ones let go but this happens all the time, in every business. They probably couldn't contribute to anything else after their project was canceled. Why keep them around?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well, this is really fucking sad. Hoping it was not an AAA+ PS4 game that was cancelled and that Stig and Barlog are still employed. Could be Papy's team, y'know? Mark Simon and Papy left last year, leaving a lot of new people in the lurch it seems.

Some insider needs to get info concerning the cancelled project (if there even is one) before theres's a complete meltdown.

What's wrong with that description? If someone isn't contributing then they aren't entitled to a job at all.
A bit callous to call people that, though. Wouldn't surprise me if someone affected by the lay offs posts here. They lose their job, scrambling to figure out what's next and then they see some random poster suggesting that they were dead weight.

We have no idea what the circumstances are. Maybe their new lead is shit and they don't fit into existing teams. Maybe management held out on firing them until they got overruled by someone else since they were also hiring. I doubt it's a simple explanation that they were bad at their job. Those people have obviously been there years if they were on the GoW:A team. They didn't wake up and start sucking one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom