• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How Alone in the Dark Has Been Reinvented for Modern Horror Fans (aka Hype Check ?!?!)

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
As a big fan of the first game, I'm vibing with what they've done here, and I enjoyed the demo, so it's probably a Day One for me

John Bilbo

lAj8bIF.png

An anthology of the older games is currently on deep discount on Steam.

StueyDuck

I really want this to be great but the more I see, the more im not sure.

The demo was ok though, but it was also an "experience" and not indicative of the game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really want this to be great but the more I see, the more im not sure.

The demo was ok though, but it was also an "experience" and not indicative of the game

Yeah, the demo was a nice atmosphere piece, but unfortunately it wasn't indicative of what the trailers have shown at all.

Kacho

The game releases next week. Where's the hype, folks?
The hype got eaten by Dragon’s Dogma

Looks like shit btw. Will wait for user reviews to see if this “horror game for modern audiences” delivers anything good. Amnesia The Bunker set the standard for AA horror games and this looks nowhere near that.

StueyDuck

Yeah, the demo was a nice atmosphere piece, but unfortunately it wasn't indicative of what the trailers have shown at all.
I'm rooting for it though cause it falls into that AA bracket of game currently and I really wanna see those games (if good) supported by gamers, much like a helldivers2.

The hype got eaten by Dragon’s Dogma

Looks like shit btw. Will wait for user reviews to see if this “horror game for modern audiences” delivers anything good. Amnesia The Bunker set the standard for AA horror games and this looks nowhere near that.
Tormented Souls was excellent. I think the sequel will be good enough to compete with The Bunker for that title.

Dazraell

To me this always felt like a 6-7/10 AA game. Not a bad thing, I'm certain it will find an audience who will like it

Last edited:

Denton

Weird to see so much hate here. To me it seems like period piece take on Resident Evil, which could be honestly even more enjoyable than Resident Evil.

Demo's atmosphere was nice. I notably found the graphics very good. But playing it was not great, controls were too unresponsive for me. Those are probably on purpose from the devs (I mean controls are by default great in many UE4 games), but that's not a game I would enjoy playing because of that.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Looks like a fun swimming-in-sevens type title.

I'll definitely play it if I can buy it for cheap or it's added to Game Pass.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Didn't even know the game had combat.

Will wait for reviews to decide if I wait for a sale or not.

It's bizarre how much everyone here can't stand the "jank" and then palworld becomes the best selling game on steam.

I played the demo and liked. It did the only thing horror games needs to do: it scared me. Wish horror fans remenbered that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
-IGN
-"Reinvented"
-"Modern"

Garbage confirmed.
Yes. IGN is trash.

Reinvented and Modern are just direct comparisons to the first game. It's a reinvention of the original story and the gameplay is modern survival horror.

Shows no signs whatsoever of being woke or infested with DEI nonsense.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Didn't even know the game had combat.

Will wait for reviews to decide if I wait for a sale or not.

It's bizarre how much everyone here can't stand the "jank" and then palworld becomes the best selling game on steam.

I played the demo and liked. It did the only thing horror games needs to do: it scared me. Wish horror fans remenbered that.
Yea, it has two separate campaigns that the devs say will last 8 hours each for most players. Looks like there's plenty of combat and boss fights.

Has options too for puzzles. Can make it so the game doesn't assist at all, or options where the puzzle will help direct you to the item you need to use.

I suspect that it will play similar to RE2make.

The deluxe edition comes with some really cool filters too. One in particular gives it a turbo pixelated vibe, like a classic DOS adventure game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't play the demo tbh, but it looks decent enough from the videos. Probably one to pick up once there is a lull in releases.
I'll definitely be posting some thoughts next week.

I think it's a damn shame that some people are already writing this game off. There's plenty of footage out there and the game doesn't look bad at all.

So many people expecting all games to look like Forbidden West, so fucking stupid. 🙃

This is the first time the developer has made anything like this. Their other game is a top down adventure/Diablo style game for PC (that is regarded well). Everything I've read and seen about this AITD reboot comes off as the developers really giving it their all and striving to make a quality game. The story is from the Amnesia guy too so I expect a solid narrative.

Markio128

I'll definitely be posting some thoughts next week.

I think it's a damn shame that some people are already writing this game off. There's plenty of footage out there and the game doesn't look bad at all.

So many people expecting all games to look like Forbidden West, so fucking stupid. 🙃

This is the first time the developer has made anything like this. Their other game is a top down adventure/Diablo style game for PC (that is regarded well). Everything I've read and seen about this AITD reboot comes off as the developers really giving it their all and striving to make a quality game. The story is from the Amnesia guy too so I expect a solid narrative.
It’s the same with most games on here nowadays tbh. Usually those obsessed with visuals are the ones that spend a small fortune on graphics cards. If there was a piece of hardware called a fun card, then that’s the one I’d be investing in.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Q: What sort of research did Pieces Interactive do to realize the setting of Derceto Manor and its surrounding environs?

Ryberg:
We started the pre-prod almost at the same time as COVID-19, hit, so, unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to visit Louisiana but had to make do with all but the real thing. We started by gathering a lot of references before exploring further with concept art. An early influence we had was the movie Angel Heart. It has this southern gothic tone which I think you can still sense in the final game.

🙌

Angel Heart is such a delightfully twisted movie. I've had that in the back of my head throughout the lead up to this new AITD game. So awesome to see that the devs used it as a basis for inspiration. Definitely check that movie out if you've never seen it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Replace stone by hype

Inferno is a total gem.

Yea it's got some hilarious jank but the core gameplay allows for a ton of variety and it takes more chances than the vast majority of modern games.

Inferno is the big dumb action game that RE6 wanted to be, Inferno succeeded though in spite of all the jank. Patches could have fixed the minor issues but Atari just didn't have the budget for it. Had to get it out the door.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Remember in the 2000's when Modern wasn't a dirty word that would kill the hype.
Two white protagonists, Antebellum south setting. H.P Lovecraft mythos. A black maid as a NPC in the manor. 😅

This game is going to have to work overtime if it's going to be woke. Nothing we've seen so far indicates anything like that.

Some people are seeing "Modern" and being reactionary for no good reason. It's just a reference to the game being a modern reboot of the initial AITD trilogy.

Top Bottom