• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How Alone in the Dark Has Been Reinvented for Modern Horror Fans (aka Hype Check ?!?!)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
lAj8bIF.png

An anthology of the older games is currently on deep discount on Steam.

Oh shit, that's sweet. Thanks for the heads up.

I wish this also included A New Nightmare, I have fond memories of that game.

Did that ever get a PC port?

Last edited:

GymWolf

When someone like ign brag about how you reinvented your game for moderne audience you know it's gonna be something special.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm linkely getting it next week despite strong feeling it's gonna suck. When is the review embargo date?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Two white protagonists, Antebellum south setting. H.P Lovecraft mythos. A black maid as a NPC in the manor. 😅

This game is going to have to work overtime if it's going to be woke. Nothing we've seen so far indicates anything like that.

Some people are seeing "Modern" and being reactionary for a good reason. It's just a reference to the game being a modern reboot of the initial AITD trilogy.
I was just referring to the word "modern" that sends chills down people's spines but it usually only means one thing.
But I have the game pre ordered even though I wasn't impressed by the demo prologue.
Speaking of... I've just been charged for it.
and I fixed the bolded for you, you're welcome 👍

Last edited:

Kacho

I'm linkely getting it next week despite strong feeling it's gonna suck. When is the review embargo date?
The embargo for non-sponsored content creators drops at 4am PDT / 7am EDT / 11am GMT / 12 noon CET / 8pm JST on March 20, 2024.

Note that this is only non-sponsored creators, not press, which will come sooner.

Alan Wake

I replayed Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on my Dreamcast last summer. It's still a solid game despite tank controls and laughable voice acting and animations. There's potential in the franchise, but most of the times the developer hasn't been able to reach it. I have some hopes it will be better this time around, although I'm not expecting a masterpiece. So I decided to support this and pre-ordered the collector's edition.

EiqMCl5.jpeg

I am ready to buy it the moment it drops on GOG. I have been replaying Evil Within II's Nightmare mode in first person (as a remedy to subpar manual aiming) to prepare for it.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Someone with a review copy posted some impressions on the steam forums.....and they're not very positive. ill reserve judgment for now as I really want this game to be good.

This is the first time the developer has made anything like this. Their other game is a top down adventure/Diablo style game for PC (that is regarded well). Everything I've read and seen about this AITD reboot comes off as the developers , really giving it their all and striving to make a quality game. The story is from the Amnesia guy too so I expect a solid narrative.
I hadn't followed too much the development of this game and until now I was under the impression it was being developed by Frogware, the Studio of the Sherlock Holmes' games. It's only reading your post that I realized that I was completely wrong. I wonder why I had this misconception, I'm sure I must have read something that put this idea in my head...

xrnzaaas

It's an opinion from a single person and the day1 patch can still fix some of the bugs, but yeah, it's not looking very good based on those impressions. You can't fix shitty puzzles, weak writing, janky melee combat or not enough enemy variety.

Last edited:
Please be aware that Alone In The Dark (2008) on Steam is the buggy, broken version of the game.

Alone In The Dark - Inferno is a PS3 exclusive with lots of improvements, but that never made it to PC.

kunonabi

It's an opinion from a single person and the day1 patch can still fix some of the bugs, but yeah, it's not looking very good based on those impressions. You can't fix shitty puzzles, weak writing, janky melee combat or not enough enemy variety.
I mean that mostly sums up resident evil 7 and most people loved that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviews are starting to come out and it's a mixed bag. Ranging from 3.5 out of 10, to 8 out of 10.

Dexerto - Sam Smith - 4 / 5
Those looking for a third-person action shooter may lose patience with Alone in the Dark. However, those looking for a traditional survival horror experience, one with its PS1 roots still slightly visible, might be reminded why they fell in love with the genre to begin with. The main takeaway though, is that Alone in the Dark is finally back, playing to its strengths, and catering to those who’ve missed it.

Enternity.gr - Stylianos Almpanidis - Greek - 6.5 / 10
Fans of the original game will feel nostalgic, but if they look at the leaps that have been made in recent years in terms of development, their fervor will quickly subside.

GGRecon - Tarran Stockton - 2.5 / 5
The game certainly gets better as time goes on, and the story is well-told enough that it's worth experiencing for survival horror fans. However, it comes with the caveats that the overall gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, and its survival horror contemporaries just do a better job on nearly every front.

NookGaming - Andrew Camac - 8 / 10
While not a complete triumph, falling down in the same places as many other survival horror titles, and a rather iffy last act to boot, there is still so much to fall in love with in Alone in the Dark (2024). It is a must-play for horror fans and would also make an excellent pool to dip your toe into if you're new to the genre, with the fantastic options on offer to make the game as accessible or as masochistic as you need it to be

Alone in the Dark (2024) is exactly what this dormant series needed after the deathblow that was Alone in the Dark: Illumination. It sticks to what made the series famous with classic horror clichés, hammy acting, a great atmosphere, and an engrossing mystery. It's not only a fantastic stand-alone title, but is in the upper echelons of reimaginings, leaning on the original title where it counts, but not enough to make it a crutch. It adds its unique ideas to further the experience and gives gamers a true dark-fantasy horror that would please any avid fans of Lovecraft.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 3.5 / 10
While true fans of the franchise might get a kick out of seeing a new take on an old story, Alone in the Dark is a tonal and functional mess that frustrates more than it entertains.

WhatIfGaming - Rizwan Anwer - 8 / 10
Alone in the Dark is a strong return to form for the series that helped kickstart the survival horror genre. Its excellent atmosphere, strong mystery, and largely engaging combat design lend to a satisfying and thrilling experience. Some of the character work feels underdeveloped, and a few design choices don't always make sense, but Alone in the Dark is worth the scares, and offers a decent amount of replayability for multiple playthroughs.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8 / 10
Alone in the Dark has come a long way from its initial showings. Clever writing, great performances by its two leads, and solid gameplay come together to give the franchise a new life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom