• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) Phil Spencer and the Battle for Xbox’s Soul

Three

I spoke to two former longtime Xbox employees, separately, and both lamented the current state of the business. One told me, prior to this week’s awful studio closures, “I had lengthy conversations with a bunch of Xbox founders, and we all came to the same conclusion: it’s no longer Xbox, but Microsoft Gaming.”
That was obvious 5 months ago at the very least:
The downfall of xbox consoles, probably yes. when the head honcho is calling gamepass "our new platform" in internal emails, telling you "we're not driven by console sales" when the generation was starting, and has his title change from head of xbox to head of MS gaming it's clear they dont care as much about the console anymore. This doesn't matter though because MS gaming is not xbox consoles.

reinking

Gold Member
I have been separating out Microsoft Gaming ever since Phil got promoted. I took that promotion to mean that MS has lost confidence with Xbox as the lead gaming platform and started making changes to ensure it doesn't take their entire investment into the gaming market with it. I do believe they still want the Xbox brand but not as their lead gaming platform. The collapse of not just Xbox, but Game Pass, seems to be accelerating (maybe it is just all of the negative news lately). I hope that does not cause them to change plans and cancel the next Xbox console. I do want to see them give it one more go. Plus, I am curious how a true premium console will compete with PC gaming.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Just put Steve Balmer in charge.

fkc5lyo.gif

Not sure he'd want it considering his net worth is probably over a 100 billion dollars lol

Killjoy-NL

Microsoft Gaming makes sense. Xbox is an anchor at this point. Just make it open ecosystem and I have no problem with it. Multiplat will help them sell games. Just keep the forward compatability team going and thats all that needs to be done.
Maybe my wild guesses weren't wild after all:

Just going to make a wild guess:

- "select" titles will go to Playstation and Nintendo
(MS practically going 3rd party)

- Xbox will be discontinued

- gaming divisions will be rebranded to MS Games, big franchises will continue to exist, more focus on mobile

- Series will be discontinued

- Maybe a Ouya-like console

Edit:

- Microsoft Game Pass

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
What a load of creamy stinking horseshit!

The wider MS is not to blame for Xbox shitting itself down the crapper. Phil Spencer and the cronies in his leadership team are.

You don't get to blame MS when the wider company opened their fucking war chest and gave Xbox $80+bln to go on a spending spree. Did they seriously think that after spending such eye-watering amounts of daddy MS's money, MS wouldn't in turn be expecting increased profitability from the Xbox gaming business?

Spencer bled money on GamePass for years and splurged tens of billions to try to buy their competitor out of business, instead of using that money to build Xbox up as a profitable venture. I'm not surprised the higher-ups are seizing control of the ship. They now own Xbox and Spencer's ass... they fucking paid more than $80bln for that shit.
It's been 10 years of mass media inventing the eleborate excuses for Phil's inaptitude. Terrific sight to behold, really.

Yet media hated Ryan, who in hindsight turned out to be both the harsh prophet and actually a good businessman.

How the turntables.

Last edited:
It's been 10 years of mass media inventing the eleborate excuses for Phil's inaptitude. Terrific sight to behold, really.

Yet media hated Ryan, who in hindsight turned out to be both the harsh prophet and actually a good businessman.

How the turntables.
Atleast Mattrick delivered some launch exclusives for the Xbone, what has Phil done except for making excuses and devaluing games? Ryan is nowhere near as inept as these 2 idiots (Phil and Don). He might not be a gamer and he might be socially awkward, but he was competent enough to run a profitable business.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Atleast Mattrick delivered some launch exclusives for the Xbone, what has Phil done except for making excuses and devaluing games?
Time has shown us that Don was vilified for TV, but was actually good ad bringing some games to the platform. At least Xbox One launched with a diverse and vibrant line-up like Sunset Overdrive, Forza Motorsport 5, Forza Horizon 2, D4, Project Spark, Titanfall, some Kinect fluff and myriad of other titles I don't have a clear timeline in my head to mention. No wonder it sold on par with PS4 in it's first year because Sony kinda fumbled the launch lineup a bit (error they fixed with PS5, IMO).

Now compare it with launches under Our Lord and Saviour Phil. Both One X and Series launched without any semblance of lineup or at least a tech showpiece. This is a joke of a leadership.

Alan Wake

I have no doubt this i coming from upstairs. But then again, wouldn't the Xbox leadership have expected it? If you grow this quickly, and not organically by actually selling more games and consoles and expanding the business that way but by massive acquisitions, do you really think the Microsoft leadership will leave you alone? Xbox is a bigger part of the pie now.

I can't help but think that the ABK acquisition was unnecessary. They already had Bethesda, Ninja Theory, InXile, Compulsion and Playground added. More than enough to produce a steady flow of games if you also get third parties to support your platform. They should've stopped there, consolidated it all and moved on. But evidently they couldn't even handle that, and yet decided to grow even bigger?

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Interesting that only 2 weeks ago Peter Moore was talking about how he and Robbie Bach made a specific effort to distance Xbox from MS with Bills blessing.

Astounding, 10 years and overseeing $90 billion in spending and any Xbox problems are still not Spencer's fault. The defence of him was already fucking ludicrous a few years ago when apparently he wasn't responsible for Series' tools and games being not ready for launch. Now, it's like collective mania from the Xbox faithful like the author here.

CosmicComet

Xbox collectively never had a soul.

Most soulless game platform ever.

It just coincidentally had a few banger games throughout it's lifetime, but the executives themselves never gave a fuck about gaming.

Last edited:

magnumpy

This is the way the world ends​

Not with a bang but a whimper.​

― T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

Last edited:

simpatico

They've burnt every ounce of goodwill created by Xbox and Xbox 360. Hell I'd say they're in the negative. In hindsight, OG Xbox did better than anyone could have expected in terms of creating a brand. Halo, several other cool first party games and superior versions of multiplat titles (Max Payne, FEAR, sports games, Half Life etc). This continued into Xbox 360 and the online services weren't even comparable. Xbox Live set the standard for online console gaming. The amount of human effort it took to undo that work cannot be overlooked. If you tried to intentionally sink the brand, I think it would be hard to match what they achieved on accident.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
No longer Xbox but Microsoft gaming.

I totally agree with this. The whole vibe is different from xbox and 360. I wished they took the One has a blueprint of what NOT to repeat.

Anyway, this shit is depressing

K' Dash

Xbox is an empty husk, I thought they could turn the boat around like Sony did with the PS3... boy was I wrong.

They should just focus on software, consoles are a dying breed anyway.

Article by Ryan McCaffrey.

Some interesting stuff is in here.
Ryan McCaffrey has always bugged me since the "good old days" of IGN but he's still better than that Destin twat. Jesus that guy is insufferable.

XBOX unfortunately lost their soul a long time ago. The original XBOX had soul, and I think is greatly underrated as it had a ton of great games, great exclusives, and better looking/performing multiplats on top of basically creating the modern online gaming ecosystem. 360 was still great, but it already started the downfall near the end, and then obviously they fucked it up with the XBOX One. That generation actually started to turn around near the end so I had high hopes that they could make it great again.

I'll probably get hate for this but PC is the reason for XBOX failure IMO. Once they started putting every single game day 1 on PC it gave people zero reason to continue owning/buying a XBOX (obviously not 0, but for a lot of people there was no benefit during a time where PC was growing fast).

I actually miss exclusives as unpopular as that opinion may seem. My favorite generation of gaming was the 6th. You had 4 consoles that all had their own identity and exclusives. You had a reason to own every single platform. There is a reason why PlayStation waits to port games (I think this will continue for awhile but it will get shorter and shorter over time), and why Nintendo will never release their exclusives anywhere but Nintendo.

Reactions: XXL
I have been separating out Microsoft Gaming ever since Phil got promoted. I took that promotion to mean that MS has lost confidence with Xbox as the lead gaming platform and started making changes to ensure it doesn't take their entire investment into the gaming market with it. I do believe they still want the Xbox brand but not as their lead gaming platform. The collapse of not just Xbox, but Game Pass, seems to be accelerating (maybe it is just all of the negative news lately). I hope that does not cause them to change plans and cancel the next Xbox console. I do want to see them give it one more go. Plus, I am curious how a true premium console will compete with PC gaming.

I just don't see the point in them giving it one more go at this point. Think about it. MS wasn't satisfied with the sales of the Xbox one and wanted to close Xbox down at that point. Things have gotten much worse since then. They aren't going to get better at this point and pretending that MS is just a year or two away from consistently delivering block buster games is pretty much a fantasy.

I think they should just transition to their next stage and stop wasting money. To many people are losing jobs and I just don't want to see it anymore. Another console will just be more jobs that will need to be sacrificed in order to make up for the losses.

Ogbert

Good article. Makes a lot of sense.

I work for a company that is very similar to MS, in terms of its position in the market. MS is a company that does certain things *incredibly* well. So well, that no one can even begin to contemplate competing with them. This position brings security and an almost bottomless pit of money. However, outside of that core proposition, it allows incredibly fucking incompetent people to rise within the company, on the back of that security, and float extremely fucking stupid ideas that go nowhere.

If MS was a fintech, Phil Spencer's mistakes would have folded the company within months. His errors are colossal. But because of MS' security, they unfortunately pour good money after bad.

Last edited:
I love the irony of this whole situation.

MS dickriders championed the acquisition because they thought it meant COD on GamePass, less COD focus from Activision studios, maybe the return of games like Tony Hawk etc but instead it's just the status quo in Activision with the added bonus of the collapse of Xbox from the weight of the whole thing.

This was one of the many talking points I never understood. Activision was operating the way it was because of money. The idea that MS was going to come in and mess up their revenue (other than by adding COD to GP) was wild to me.

Topher

Gold Member
Shinobi on the other forum (a few days ago) said pretty much everything is coming to PS5 aside from Recore and Crackdown (or something to that effect).

Makes sense. Microsoft stands to make a hell of a lot more money as a third party publisher that isn't being dragged down by Xbox hardware exclusivity on the console side.

Reactions: XXL

Ogbert

Makes sense. Microsoft stands to make a hell of a lot more money as a third party publisher that isn't being dragged down by Xbox hardware exclusivity on the console side.
I don't actually think most titles will go to PS5, but that's not me defending MS.

I don't think MS will make much money as a third party publisher. Their games are almost all uniformly average with better versions thereof found on other systems.

I'm not convinced there's enough of an upside for them to effectively dilute their brand to that extent.

Last edited:

XXL

100%.

I think they are getting ready for that and that's why they are cutting back.

Im thinking Compulsion, Ninja Theory, Double Fine and every studio like that will all be cut sooner than later.

With the big IP they own there is an extremely profitable path forward focusing purely on AAA titles between Playstation, Nintendo and PC.

All they really wanted was COD, Wow, Candy Crush, Skyrim, Doom Fallout, etc.

I don't believe a word about what they are saying about smaller games.

They probably keep trying to make TV shows and mobile games with these properties.

How excited Sarah Bond was talking about the Fallout TV show was revealing. Her whole demeanor changes, it's important to them.

Also, with the Nintendo being generally a generation behind, it also allows them to constantly (inexpensively) port prior generation games down and sell them again (like Skyrim did).

I'm curious where GamePass and Halo (and 343i) is going to land in all of this.

We'll see what happens.

Alebrije

Good article. Makes a lot of sense.

I work for a company that is very similar to MS, in terms of its position in the market. MS is a company that does certain things *incredibly* well. So well, that no one can even begin to contemplate competing with them. This position brings security and an almost bottomless pit of money. However, outside of that core proposition, it allows incredibly fucking incompetent people to rise within the company, on the back of that security, and float extremely fucking stupid ideas that go nowhere.

If MS was a fintech, Phil Spencer's mistakes would have folded the company within months. His errors are colossal. But because of MS' security, they unfortunately pour good money after bad.

Yep know the story since I work on a simalar mega.corp that makes tons of money that Even can spend money on other companies and those companies can fail or just keep eating money from the core corp without worry of being shut down.

And one just wonder why this happens , most of time is to avoid playing taxes due to considations...other its because curiosity on other industries.

Top Bottom