• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Rumor: Insomniac Games Going Multiplatform

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
OldJadedGamer said:
I just finished up my evil and now going through on good and you either are ignoring the bugs or you have the one single copy of the game that is perfect. Want to see a lot of the glitches, go onto YouTube and search for them, there are a ton of videos posted.

I got myself falling through the world, reapers falling through the world, weird invisible collision, the "dancing" glitch constantly, people falling dead right in front of me just a few yards ahead, hanging on to invisible objects up in the sky... and the list goes on and on. While it is a fun game since I am playing it twice, you really have to be blind to not see *any* glitches while you are playing.

Again, the developer THEMSELVES wrote that they knew it was released too early and they didn't have time to polish it flying in the face of the argument that just because a game is exclusive that means it automatically is more polished. It's not always the case as inFamous proves.

Never had any bugs while playing it either

beast786

OldJadedGamer said:
Again, the developer THEMSELVES wrote that they knew it was released too early and they didn't have time to polish it flying in the face of the argument that just because a game is exclusive that means it automatically is more polished. It's not always the case as inFamous proves.

Now imagine same Resistance 2 in the same time period being worked on 2 different platforms. And you really think quality wont be even worse.

I am not sure why you are bringing infamous as an example. If time and resouces were issue for infamous lack of polish, then being develop for mulitiplatform would have been even worse.

Take 2033 for example. THQ picked it up they made 2033 release on 360 as soon as its ready. Now the PS3 port is just hanging. And the reason they didnt want to release PS3 because it was taking time and resources away from 360 version. And thats the point.

Not every publisher can afford making ground up games. If the games are Ported ofcourse quality is going to be effected. How can anyone deny that.

beast786

Oldschool said:
If a trusted source told ign, why is it a rumour then? :lol

Because its NOT officially announce.

Another question is this new 3rd party publisher will give IG same AAA budget that sony did. Especially since The last rachet game and R2 didnt rock the charts?

J-Rzez said:
Or they'd put out a better product, thus more people buying their products instead of renting/buying used/bargain bin.

No, pretty much just the thing he said.

FabCam said:
Where has the sudden connection been made to a 360 game come from? It's pretty likely that their new studio is working on a non-ps3 game but it's most likely to be a Wii/DS game surely?

Why on Earth would anyone make a Wii game?

Snipes424

This whole debacle reminds me of the MGS4 to 360 thing. There must have been over 100 "informants" that said MGS4 was going to the 360.

Now this rumor may very well be true, but let's not forget the source. IGN, the same people who "confirmed" MGS: Rising was a 360 exclusive. The same people who tell developers how they should make their games. The same people who claimed GTA 4 had an oscar worthy storyline.

Until I hear it from either Sony, Microsoft, or IG themselves, I'd much rather believe a monkey eating his own poo than IGN.

beast786 said:
I am not sure why you are bringing infamous as an example. If time and resouces were issue for infamous lack of polish, then being develop for mulitiplatform would have been even worse.

If you read the thread, you would have read that the argument was made that because a game is exclusive, the developer will put more polish into the game since they are not dealing with two systems and a lowest common denominator. inFamous is an example of a recently made first party game on one single system that lacked polish according to the developer themselves.

Most first party games are given a free pass and issues have a blind eye turned to them just because they are exclusive. First party or third party, games will be released unpolished sometimes and working on one or two systems isn't going to change that. It's the nature of the beast.

Shurs

OldJadedGamer said:
If you read the thread, you would have read that the argument was made that because a game is exclusive, the developer will put more polish into the game since they are not dealing with two systems and a lowest common denominator. inFamous is an example of a recently made first party game on one single system that lacked polish according to the developer themselves.

Most first party games are given a free pass and issues have a blind eye turned to them just because they are exclusive. First party or third party, games will be released unpolished sometimes and working on one or two systems isn't going to change that. It's the nature of the beast.

I was speaking, not about polish, but about technical advancements. Most games have bugs. Heck, Uncharted 2 has some clipping issues, but it's still a technical marvel, as are Killzone 2, Heavy Rain and, by all appearances, God of War 3 and Alan Wake. We've seen some unique online implementation in titles such as MAG and Demon's Souls. It's not just about polish.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Snipes424 said:
This whole debacle reminds me of the MGS4 to 360 thing. There must have been over 100 "informants" that said MGS4 was going to the 360.

Now this rumor may very well be true, but let's not forget the source. IGN, the same people who "confirmed" MGS: Rising was a 360 exclusive. The same people who tell developers how they should make their games. The same people who claimed GTA 4 had an oscar worthy storyline.

Until I hear it from either Sony, Microsoft, or IG themselves, I'd much rather believe a monkey eating his own poo than IGN.

The crazy thing about this too is that the MGS series actually sells quite well, and Resistance/Ratchet are two middle of the road games by a run of the mill developer, yet these rumors persist. I'd be much more of a coup to get a true MGS, rather than some multi-plat games from some developer.

Edit:

And speaking of inFamous, I disliked it tons, but it definitely was not a 'buggy mess'. It definitely had frame rate drops, and was uber-repetitive, and kinda boring after the 'newness' wore off, but it was not buggy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
let's keep Heavy Rain out of the exclusive =more polished discussion.

I don't think I've ever played a more technically broken game this gen. It felt like it was about to fall apart constantly. I mean, yes, fine frame-rate mostly and all that jazz, but man, crashes up the whazoo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
beast786 said:
Now imagine same Resistance 2 in the same time period being worked on 2 different platforms. And you really think quality wont be even worse.

Take 2033 for example. THQ picked it up they made 2033 release on 360 as soon as its ready. Now the PS3 port is just hanging. And the reason they didnt want to release PS3 because it was taking time and resources away from 360 version. And thats the point.

Not every publisher can afford making ground up games. If the games are Ported ofcourse quality is going to be effected. How can anyone deny that.

If you are expected sell more games, on more systems, you can apply more resources and even money. And some platforms have built-in advantages which improve certain features "automatically" like, Xbox Live for online or BRD for storage. There's no reason multiplatform is automatically a compromise. Sometimes it's an advantage. And yes, sometimes it is a disadvantage. It depends on the scenario and the game.

PS., No clue whether this rumor is true or not.

MrPliskin

Banned
Kenak said:
NeoGAF: Where it's okay to blindly praise a game, but NOT okay to say it's mediocre without proper backup detailing explicitly why and how you came to such a conclusion.
Who is blindly praising the game? It sure as fuck wasn't me. I'm simply saying there's a difference between not liking a game, and being a snobby gamer, pretending that games are mediocre.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OuterWorldVoice said:
If you are expected sell more games, on more systems, you can apply more resources and even money. And some platforms have built-in advantages which improve certain features "automatically" like, Xbox Live for online or BRD for storage. There's no reason multiplatform is automatically a compromise. Sometimes it's an advantage. And yes, sometimes it is a disadvantage. It depends on the scenario and the game.

PS., No clue whether this rumor is true or not.

Could you please describe me what advantage does Xbox Live bring to a multi-platform game? BRD storage clearly has its pros, but Live?

DMeisterJ said:
And speaking of inFamous, I disliked it tons, but it definitely was not a 'buggy mess'. It definitely had frame rate drops, and was uber-repetitive, and kinda boring after the 'newness' wore off, but it was not buggy.

YouTube has a ton of videos of very common bugs that popped up in the game constantly.

Shurs said:
I was speaking, not about polish, but about technical advancements. Most games have bugs. Heck, Uncharted 2 has some clipping issues, but it's still a technical marvel, as are Killzone 2, Heavy Rain and, by all appearances, God of War 3 and Alan Wake. We've seen some unique online implementation in titles such as MAG and Demon's Souls. It's not just about polish.

You weren't the poster I originally quoted a page back that Beast was asking about.

hteng

Banned
doesn't matter if it can be polished or not. making any console game costs a ton and you are restricting your options to be exclusive, it's a money making business.

Kittonwy

Banned
coopolon said:
You do make a good point about for their time. When I think about this generation, I think about it as a whole, so I'm comparing MW2 with R1 or even R2, and that's not a fair comparison.

Not sure what time period you want, but since you mention Oddworld I'll assume previous gen is acceptable.

Oblivion published by 2k games.
doom 3 and any id outing published by acitivion or whoever. Were not bought up until recently.
Harmonix making guitar hero 2 for redoctane.
Every game BioWare ever made up until Dragon Age: Origins.
Obsidian: KOTOR2, NWN2, presumably Alpha Protocol and FAllout: New Vegas. None were commercial goldmines, but all sold well enough to warrant sequels, expansion packs, etc.
Drawn to Life/Scribblenauts from 5th cell.
Avalance studios with Just Cause/Just Cause 2.
Guys who made Batman: AA, weren't bought up until recently.
Bayonetta and other Clover Studios products.
Starbreeze and Chronicles of Riddick.
Stardock's numerous partners, like Ironclad Games with Sins.
Torchlight from Runic games.
Remedy with Max Payne, now Alan Wake.
Valve (although one might argue they are too big to fit in here)

I don't disagree it's not an easy world out there for independent third party developers. As evidenced by the fact that a number of the above studios have gotten bought up since (which implies they made money when they eventually decided to sell). Some haven't. None of them are out of business. All are making enough money to continue, and most are making pretty huge games, easily on the scale of Ratchet or Resistance. Some have had more critical success then others. A number of them started off exclusive to one platform, and eventually found great success spreading themselves out.

I have the utmost confidence that Insomniac can do the same if they want.

Bethesda self-publishes now.
Valve self-publishes.
id is owned by Zenimax.
Bioware is OWNED by EA.
Harmonix owned by MTV.
Clover didn't even do the PS3 port for Bayonetta.

Please don't tell me Obsidian is putting out the same quality software as Bioware nowadays because it isn't. Many quality "independent" developers are bought up now, Rocksteady and Media Molecule are just a couple of recent examples. GRIN is a recent example of an "independent" developer that stretched themselves too thin, how? One too many studio, too much overhead, you get screwed on one publishing deal by a publisher, your cashflow gets fucked and you're essentially screwed. It's not that it's entirely impossible for that to happen between Insomniac and Sony, but I would think that something like that happening is more likely with EA or Activision.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I just finished up my evil and now going through on good and you either are ignoring the bugs or you have the one single copy of the game that is perfect. Want to see a lot of the glitches, go onto YouTube and search for them, there are a ton of videos posted.

I got myself falling through the world, reapers falling through the world, weird invisible collision, the "dancing" glitch constantly, people falling dead right in front of me just a few yards ahead, hanging on to invisible objects up in the sky... and the list goes on and on. While it is a fun game since I am playing it twice, you really have to be blind to not see *any* glitches while you are playing.

I honestly haven't run into any bugs on both my good and evil runs, it's more polished than most games in its genre.

Sucker Punch even towards the end of development consisted of less than 50 people, plus it's an open world game, how likely is an open world game going to be completely bug free compared to more linear games? They've had 3 years to work on the game, so it's not like they weren't allowed the time for polish, which is not the case with Insomniac games.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kittonwy said:
I honestly haven't run into any bugs on both my good and evil runs, it's more polished than most games in its genre..

Me neither on my 2 runs. Very odd to hear that.

dazed808

TTP said:
Me neither on my 2 runs. Very odd to hear that.
On my 2nd run through on "bad" and I can only remember sinking through the floor once and maybe getting stuck on some railway tracks but overall it's been a great experience and far from a buggy mess that some would portray it to be.

As for the actual topic - as long as multi-deving doesn't stop them from producing the kind of quality evident in R&C ACIT without having to comprimise, then great, I'm all for it. My concern is stretching themselves too far will lead to output that sinks to the level of Resistance 2, with under-cooked development that doesn't live up to the obvious talent they have.

clashfan

I know there is talk of Insomniac betraying sony but I think Insomniac feels it was betrayed by ps3 owners because sales of their games have been flat so they would feel justified by going multiplatform...

Akainu

clashfan said:
I know there is talk of Insomniac betraying sony but I think Insomniac feels it was betrayed by ps3 owners because sales of their games have been flat so they would feel justified by going multiplatform...
Whats with you and pulling crap out of your ass?

CENOBITE

clashfan said:

Yah, you're inventing drama where there isn't any. I'm sure this has all been discussed in board rooms with many lawyers and businessmen present. It's all about $$$ and not who hurt who's feelings.

DeadGzuz

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
YouTube has a ton of videos

This is true for every game made, that is not evidence of how common it is. I've played through it twice without any bugs or glitches, but carry on with your usual routine...

Shurs said:

Counterpoint - Dirt 2, GRID, Burnout Paradise, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed 1&2, Prince of Persia, Crysis 2, Rage, Bioshock 1&2, Bad Company 2, Resident Evil 5, and Lost Planet 2 are all multiplatform.

clashfan said:
If people are using words like 'betrayal' in the context of this rumor, they are batshit insane and shouldn't be taken seriously in the first place.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Thanks...What did Ted say? I missed that....

"We see the other side too. We see games that are multiplatform succeeding wildly, and doing great, and that too is a fantastic place to be." -Ted Price.

OldJadedGamer said:
"We see the other side too. We see games that are multiplatform succeeding wildly, and doing great, and that too is a fantastic place to be." -Ted Price.

he meant about journos asking him if tey're turning multiplatform.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OldJadedGamer said:

Hmmm...so he doesn't flatout deny it. E3 is going to be interesting indeed.

gofreak said:
They've always been independent, and want to remain that way. It just so happens their only publisher for quite some time is Sony, but as they grow, there's no reason that needs to remain the case...

They'll be a LOT more independent if they owned their own IP. Everything they develop is owned by Sony, including the trademarks.

I'd rather see them be like Epic, who retains trademark on Gears of War, for example.

torontoml

OldJadedGamer said:
Thats not what he said when referring to this rumor, he said something along the lines of "we don't comment on rumors". And I think JS's post is pretty good at saying its not true.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So you guys think that the new officie is working on a different platform?
Isnt kind of 'late' on this gen to jump ships? I think that their entire codebase is PS3 specific.
Maybe next get.

Anyway good for them if true.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
torontoml said:
Thats not what he said when referring to this rumor, he said something along the lines of "we don't comment on rumors". And I think JS's post is pretty good at saying its not true.

If it wasn't true, Insomniac would've said so. When a developer dances around a direct question such as "Are you guys going multiplatform?", the answer always ends up being 'yes'.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Hmmm...so he doesn't flatout deny it. E3 is going to be interesting indeed.
that quote is taken from a 2008 Gamasutra interview.

"A lot of people at Insomniac have come from other shops, where either they've been a part of a publisher, or they've been at a developer owned by a publisher, and they've told me that it can be frustrating to have a publisher acting with a heavy hand.

Our relationship with Sony is one where we develop autonomously. Sony certainly gives us great feedback on the games, but we're in control of the development process, and that is a great place to be. Especially with a partner as powerful as Sony...

But, then again, we see the other side too. We see games that are multiplatform succeeding wildly, and doing great, and that too is a fantastic place to be."

full interview

M3Freak

Banned
I've always thought they started a new studio so that each team could focus on one game only.

Or, maybe it's to improve the development process. For example, maybe the second studio is going to be tasked with improving their technology, and the main studio will implement it. If the main studio doesn't have to do research/engine development, they can concentrate on polishing their games.

Meh. I don't know. I really have no idea what goes into game development. I have a big picture view of the thing - not the fine details.

Fersis said:
Isnt kind of 'late' on this gen to jump ships?

It's pretty close. If we assume the next gen really will start in 2012, anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if, say, Insomniac were looking to keep their options open for next-gen by preparing to potentially develop multiplat games for PS4/720/Super Wii/what-have-you while still having no actual plans to move away from their fruitful relationship with Sony on the PS3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
charlequin said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if, say, Insomniac were looking to keep their options open for next-gen by preparing to potentially develop multiplat games for PS4/720/Super Wii/what-have-you while still having no actual plans to move away from their fruitful relationship with Sony on the PS3.
Thats what im thinking. Not this gen, but maybe the next one.

HiResDes

What I don't understand is how everyone keeps talking about the MGS4 to the 360 rumors as such a debacle when it turns out that the next next-gen entry in the series is indeed coming to the 360...So it's not like it was so far-fetched, and it's not like nothing ever came of it.

charlequin said:
No, pretty much just the thing he said.

Why on Earth would anyone make a Wii game?

People still act like this? Embarrassing.

As far as Insomniac headed multiplatform is concerned I would be interested to see what they would do on a console other than ps3. I'm a fan of the dev in general so if they can profit more from it then I don't see any reason not to. I'm sure a small number of very vocal people would rage over it but more than likely they would be the same people who threw a huge fit about Resistance 2 and shat on Insomniac.

While I can agree that Resistance 2 was not the greatest, it was highly enjoyable with lots of content. I noticed that people who always complain about gaming seem to think only their interests should be catered to. Like it's insulting if a game wasnt specifically made for them.

°°ToMmY°° said:
he meant about journos asking him if tey're turning multiplatform.

This was his response when asked if they were going to go multiplatform in the future. It's an exact quote from Ted Price.

torontoml said:

"No comment" isn't a response. It's very easy to dispell if they say if they are a licensed developer with MS or not. That's the first step and if that hasn't been taken then it's pretty night and day obvious that they are not but of course they will never say.

charlequin said:

This MUST be the name of the Wii's successor. Shit. All I could think of was "Day-1" when I read that.

Drinking Hatorade said:
People still act like this? Embarrassing.

Drinking Hatorade
(Today, 01:56 PM)
Reply | Quote

You can scan my post history (oh wait no you can't :() if'n you want to see all the nice stuff I've said about the Wii in my years here. I'd much prefer the situation where people actually built a reasonable third-party software market on the system and it was an economically feasible idea for most developers to support the system, but that's not how things shook out and I have to say I'd worry Ted Price had picked up a crack habit or something if Insomniac announced they were developing a Wii exclusive.

Drinking Hatorade said:
I'm a fan of the dev in general so if they can profit more from it then I don't see any reason not to.

This is actually my feeling (and in reverse as well -- if Sony exclusivity works better for them I'd rather they do that, because I like them and want them to stick around) which is really the genesis of my feeling that developing for the Wii would be a terrible idea for them. :lol

Top Bottom