• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN rushes through PJSideScroller, lies, is called out, removes part of review

kassatsu

Banned
Massa said:
You didn't beat all of them. :p

Though I'm sure if someone mentioned the word Brutal to the IGN reviewer he'd immediately say "Brutal? That game was a piece of cake! I finished it in 20 minutes!".
The only thing that beating brutal unlocks is access to "cheat code" entry. Which let's you pick the visual style :)

The 10 dollar quote is awesome, I expect a bit more from a 10 console game in 2011, that's my money that didn't pay for the game.

worldrevolution said:
Even sites like Giant Bomb publish reviews without having seen all the content of a game. Jeff admits freely he didn't finish the Riddler stuff in the new Batman. Granted it's a lot of collection, but still, it's an avenue of content in the game he just didn't feel like going through. I also seriously doubt Brad played much UC3 multiplayer, though then the whole single vs multi thing starts again.

I don't think you have to collect every unlockable item or finish every sidequest to be able to review a game appropriately. You just have to have a good understanding of that stuff, and experience as much of it as possible.

In Jeff's case, he knew exactly what the Riddler content was all about. It's fine that he didn't dedicate the 20 hours required to collect all 400 of those items.

I'll sound naive perhaps, but I really do wonder if these people don't have a conscience.

I mean, if you're writing for such a big gaming site, and you know you're score will influence people's purchase intentions, and you also know people's jobs, paycheck and reputation are depending on your review, how could you possibly put out such a half-assed piece of shit and call it a day? I mean, that Eurogamer review mentioned on the first page, they evidently didn't even play the game!

Game journalism is an utter embarrassment. Instead of making top 10 lists and "what x could learn from y" articles, spend some time on actually playing games, you know: what you're paid to do!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
oqfsK.png

Massa

kassatsu said:
The only thing that beating brutal unlocks is access to "cheat code" entry. Which let's you pick the visual style :)

I was just kidding, I actually thought your review was really well done. ;)

Leckan

"I don't put much stock in review scores, but generally the highest confidence measure I've found of a game's greatness is when IGN gives it a perfect 10. Obviously this leaves out tons of good games that I would consider 10s, but the false positive rate is basically 0. If IGN gives a game a perfect 10, it's basically a masterpiece."

Masterpiece from the clusterfuck thread.

I know it's a joke(I hope)

linko9

Regardless of the sleazebaggery involved with the review, the review basically boils down to the same old "I don't understand how to play arcade-style games" BS that pervades the gaming media these days. Is it really that hard to hire someone who can appreciate the thrill of going for a 1CC? Or even knows what the term means?

red731

Since he is giving IGN bad reputation with this, shouldn't they fire him?

Or....is there any reputation still there for IGN? I don't know, I don't read reviews there.

but everyone was hyper about BF3 score :D

Shurs

Dabanton said:
Do game reviewers play through on easy mode for their reviews?

Some of them.

I think most people tend to go with the default difficulty level. If they're not "feeling" the game, they'll either bump it up or down.

I know there were quite a few people who, after struggling with the default difficulty setting, played Red Faction Guerilla on Easy when reviewing it.

DaBuddaDa

This is an utter failure of reader trust and journalistic ethics and the writer should be immediately relieved of his position. But who am I kidding, the games writing community is more inbred and old boys club than almost any other, it'll never happen.

soldat7

Drek said:
If I had Trent Reznor's money I think I'd need to install a special "controller smashing" wall to throw controllers at when I get pissed. Because I would then truly not give a fuck.

I'd buy my own magazine rack too.

StuBurns

Banned
I actually don't have an issue with someone reviewing on easy if they're so inclined, but when you're busted by the designer himself you probably shouldn't talk shit. I would expect a Halo campaign review to be based on the Heroic difficult too ideally.

TxdoHawk

Souldriver said:
Game journalism is an utter embarrassment. Instead of making top 10 lists and "what x could learn from y" articles, spend some time on actually playing games, you know: what you're paid to do!!

Reviewing a game properly requires much more work than posting a useless article with a title designed to attract clicks, and the clickbait article will get more pageviews, which means more ad revenue.

I can pretty much assure you that the only reason IGN reviews games is because they have to, in order to maintain their userbase. If they could figure out a way to avoid writing reviews and do nothing but top 10 lists all day while still keeping their massive readerbase, they would in a heartbeat. As it is, they make the reviews as short as possible now so they can put minimum effort in.

Harlock

I played 2 or 3 levels in normal difficult. Is a little hard if you don´t get how to use the charge attack. I can see why someone shift to easy difficult. Even the game suggest that when you die the last life.

Despite the error in the review, I need play the entire game to see if is worth 6.5 score. Maybe this is a fair score besides all.

Curufinwe

Nicktals said:
Why isn't there a review site that mandates the review state (probably just as a list, at the beginning or very end of the review) how much time was spent, how far the reviewer got, and perhaps something like achievements or trophies or notable accomplishments? Seems like it would

CheapAssGamer do that, but MetaCritic don't use their reviews for some reason or another so the only people who see them are people who already know about and use CAG.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?f=2547

Tropico 4 was provided for review by Kalypso Media. I’ve played the game for nine hours completing five out of the twenty campaign missions. I’ve accumulated 13 out of 50 Achievements for 195 GamerScore. In addition to the campaign there is also a sandbox mode and an online challenges mode. Tropico 4 is also available for PC.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?f=2545

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon was provided for review by Namco Bandai. I completed the game’s campaign in six and a half hours accumulating 30 out of 50 Achievements for 610 GamerScore. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is also available for PlayStation 3.

This whole thread is embarrassing. A story comes out, and clearly all the facts aren't being presented. But it doesn't matter. The hate for IGN starts to come, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

The hate builds until some more facts start to emerge. Oh wait, maybe it's not as bad as we first thought. What a shock. "Well, IGN still sucks" is all we're left with.

Daemon may have screwed up the review process for this game, but not nearly as bad as first thought. It's too bad so many people jumped on his back without waiting for his response. I listen to his GameScoop podcast every week, and so I know the dude is solid. He knows what he's doing. He's not Shane Bettenhausen or Jeremy Parish. He's not one of those guys who has an encyclopedic knowledge about games like those guys. But he does care, and he's not lazy when it comes to gaming.

So cut a guy some slack. As has been pointed out many times now, his score wouldn't have changed. He does like shooters, and he probably would have rather played a 10 shooter than a 6.5 shooter. But unfortunately, not every game is a 10.

Harlock said:
I played 2 or 3 levels in normal difficult. Is a little hard if you don´t get how to use the charge attack. I can see why someone shift to easy difficult. Even the game suggest that when you die the last life.

Despite the error in the review, I need play the entire game to see if is worth 6.5 score. Maybe this is a fair score besides all.

That's the thing. The dev didn't take issue with the score, he had an issue with inaccurate information in the review. I think it's perfectly valid to point that kind of stuff out.

Interfectum

Fleet_of_Foot said:
This whole thread is embarrassing. A story comes out, and clearly all the facts aren't being presented. But it doesn't matter. The hate for IGN starts to come, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

The hate builds until some more facts start to emerge. Oh wait, maybe it's not as bad as we first thought. What a shock. "Well, IGN still sucks" is all we're left with.

IGN does suck though. So I don't see the problem here.

keenest

I also just did a quick play. It is strange they game suggests you continue but in Casual Mode. They should patch this so you have the option to stay in the Normal or Hard mode when you retry.

Curufinwe

Zomba13 said:
I feel the same. Stealth editing for grammatical errors is fine I think (unless it completely changes the way a sentence is read then maybe add an update to clarify so people don't blow it out of proportion) but if you add or remove parts or are wrong about something and make a correction then put an update note in or something, don't try and be sneaky and hide your error.

Gamespot do that when they have to correct errors in their reviews.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...on/review.html?tag=summary;read-review&page=2

Editor's note: This review originally contained incorrect information regarding the game's cover system. The review has been amended accordingly, and GameSpot regrets the error.

The Hermit

Fleet_of_Foot said:

Daemon may have screwed up the review process for this game, but not nearly as bad as first thought. It's too bad so many people jumped on his back without waiting for his response. I listen to his GameScoop podcast every week, and so I know the dude is solid. He knows what he's doing. He's not Shane Bettenhausen or Jeremy Parish. He's not one of those guys who has an encyclopedic knowledge about games like those guys. But he does care, and he's not lazy when it comes to gaming.

So cut a guy some slack. As has been pointed out many times now, his score wouldn't have changed. He does like shooters, and he probably would have rather played a 10 shooter than a 6.5 shooter. But unfortunately, not every game is a 10.

SimpsonLemon.gif

If you think this is about the score, you very wrong. The guy is not playing the game just for fun, its his "job" to review, so he has to treat it as work.
Reviews like that is why people treat gaming journalist as a joke.

Raonak

Banned
Fleet_of_Foot said:

I lol'd

I listen to GS (and Beyond) every week too, doesn't mean i know anything about what hes like.

Raonak said:
I lol'd

I listen to GS (and Beyond) every week too, doesn't mean i know anything about what hes like.

If you do listen to Daemon every week, then yes you do start to form an opinion about him. And he seems like a fair guy. I have a good feeling about about all the podcast "personalities" I listen to every week, don't you?

I mean, for as many hundreds of hours as I've listened to Garnett Lee and the Bombcast crew in my life, hell yes I feel I know their personalities pretty well.

To be clear, I listen to different gaming podcasts for different reasons. And GameScoop I listen to more for entertainment value than for pure cutting-edge gaming information.

Fleet_of_Foot said:
If you do listen to Daemon every week, then yes you do start to form an opinion about him. And he seems like a fair guy. I have a good feeling about about all the podcast "personalities" I listen to every week, don't you?

I mean, for as many hundreds of hours as I've listened to Garnett Lee and the Bombcast crew in my life, hell yes I feel I know their personalities pretty well.

To be clear, I listen to different gaming podcasts for different reasons. And GameScoop I listen to more for entertainment value than for pure cutting-edge gaming information.
I have listened to the IGN podcasts for a really long time too. I like some of the podcasts but listening to them makes me ignore their reviews even more.

Shadow780

Fleet_of_Foot said:

ASS TO ASSSSSSS!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fleet_of_Foot said:
I am so used to being on Reddit that I was looking for a way to upvote your post.
A damning end to that three-post chain

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FStop7 said:
Dylan Cuthbert is one of the nicest people around. You know you fucked up if he's calling you out.
Pretty much.

Cuthbert is both scary smart and class act.

Fersis said:
Pretty much.

Cuthbert is both scary smart and class act.

Not only that, he played key development in the original Star Fox on SNES and other classics, working alongside Nintendo EAD Japan and Miyamoto and co personally.

The reviewer should have bowed down on his knees when Cuthbert called him out, instead he continues to be a douchebag by trying to get the last word and trying to be the "right one" on his blog.

The same "I'm awesome" arrogant behaviour is seen with Greg Miller too.
IGN lost it after 2002/2003.

EXGN

jetsetfluken said:
Not only that, he played key development in the original Star Fox on SNES and other classics, working alongside Nintendo EAD Japan and Miyamoto and co personally.

The reviewer should have bowed down on his knees when Cuthbert called him out, instead he continues to be a douchebag by trying to get the last word and trying to be the "right one" on his blog.

The same "I'm awesome" arrogant behaviour is seen with Greg Miller too.
IGN lost it after 2002/2003.

Is that what clarifying is? And when they write reviews, I'm sure they do it by eating the moneyhats given to them by publishers and then shit them on they keyboard and serve it to the reader?

Honestly, some of you guys. Guy made a mistake, have none of you ever made a mistake at a job?

Onemic

I don't understand whats wrong with the review at all really. After reading the blog post the IGN dude made, it seems that the only scene you get after beating it on casual is a screen saying you've unlocked hard mode......that's it. What's the big deal again? Or are people just trolling IGN for the sake of trolling?

Huff

Banned
Fleet_of_Foot said:

It's not about the score. It's about the obvious lying, editing, and backtracking

EXGN said:
Honestly, some of you guys. Guy made a mistake, have none of you ever made a mistake at a job?

I understand where you're coming from, but it's the thought that he is trying to validate that he was 100% correct and is not owning up to anything is the problem.

Yeah Dylan is one of the nicest straight up gentlemen I have ever met. Having him and Ben Judd in the same room was like seeing a physical representation of Tao. ;)

Reviewers need to be called out if they are really misrepresenting the game through ignorance.

Top Bottom