• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: There’s a Lot Riding on GTA 6 — and Not Just for Rockstar and Take-Two - Could be the most important game release Ever

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
xaES4Xi.gif

Amid mass layoffs, studio closures, and high-profile triple-A flops, the video game industry is currently suffering one of the worst periods in its history. Revenue wise, it’s also struggling. According to U.S. sales data tracking firm Circana, 2024 game spending is set to end up down 2% — and that’s the most optimistic outlook.

Explaining Microsoft’s shock mass layoff that affected nearly 2,000 staff at its gaming business, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said the industry had failed to grow the gaming audience in recent years, especially on console. But there is one bright spark looming over the horizon: Grand Theft Auto 6.

In an interview with GI.biz, Circana analyst Mat Piscatella said Rockstar’s surefire hit will spark “renewed interest” in video games, before going one step further: “There's probably never been a more important thing to ever release in the industry, so no pressure.”

But there’s more. GTA 6 is the kind of game that will sell consoles. Sony is expected to release a PS5 Pro later this year, and it will no doubt benefit from interest in GTA 6. Similarly, GTA 6 will sell Xbox Series X and S and whatever hardware refresh Microsoft plans. Let’s remember, GTA 6 is not coming out on PC at launch. To play the game, you have to own a PlayStation or an Xbox.

More here

and here

I've been saying this for quite some time, I dont know about EVER, but absolutely the most important release in the past few decades.

The industry has been on a downwards trend financially for the best few years - MANY are counting on this to make video games hot again.

It will move consoles like no nothing else, Sony has a new PRO console coming Im sure they are banking on this game to basically market it for them.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hope it doesn’t “save” anything. We’ve been in a downward financial trend because of the ever-stupid decisions by AAA devs/management. The industry needs to shift to something sustainable in the long term, not wait for the GTA 6 hotfix.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Don’t put pussy on a pedestal applies here.

When you set up a game to be Jesus’ second coming in pixel format (see starfield or cp2077) it will come back to bite you. Granted CP2077 is a stellar game NOW.

If someone thinks GTA6 is the most important game ever they need their head checked. It’s just another game. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hudo

I mean, it's no secret that GTA is carrying the whole of T2 Interactive. Without that IP that publisher would been gone.

Roni

Gold Member
This will either soar high and reach the sun or cement the industry's crash. Could you imagine if GTA, of all things, fell prey to talent erosion?

Last edited:

Represent.

Don’t put pussy on a pedestal applies here.

When you set up a game to be Jesus’ second coming in pixel format (see starfield or cp2077) it will come back to bite you. Granted CP2077 is a stellar game NOW.

If someone thinks GTA6 is the most important game ever they need their head checked. It’s just another game. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment.
whats a more important release? we're not talking about it being a good game or not - we're talking about it being important for the industry on a financial level.

CyberPunk was nowhere near the level of importance. CPDR doesnt have the same recognition as R* to casuals and even non-gamers

I'm sure it will be a high quality game that sells extremely well, but I'm also sure it will carry with it a lot of the hallmarks of current AAA development that gamers hate (woke, live service focus, etc.)

kiphalfton

It's not going change anything or lift up other Western AAA games. It's just gonna be the next GTA game that makes a ton of money.

Exactly.

I don't quite understand how GTA VI doing well will reinvigorate the gaming industry. How does that benefit other studios. It's not like Rockstar will let out a fucking war cry, and it will invigorate/inspire other devs to pull their pathetic studios up out of the shit.

Look at all the bitching that went on when Baldurs Gate III came out. A bunch of low effort devs whined about it, and then they continued doing the bare minimum.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
whats a more important release? we're not talking about it being a good game or not - we're talking about it being important for the industry on a financial level.

CyberPunk was nowhere near the level of importance. CPDR doesnt have the same recognition as R* to casuals and even non-gamers
Let me ask you this first: why do YOU think this game over any other, is the most important release ever?

Any answer you give is completely subjective by the way. Just like if I said a world of Warcraft 2 would be more important or Elden Ring 2.

What’s important to you and to me is separate.

If you think the game will sell a lot and that’s important to you somehow, then great. It should do that.

Me? I don’t see this anymore important than any other GTa release or high profile AAA release.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Exactly.

I don't quite understand how GTA VI doing well will reinvigorate the gaming industry. How does that benefit other studios. It's not like Rockstar will let out a fucking war cry, and it will invigorate/inspire other devs to pull their pathetic studios up out of the shit.

Look at all the bitching that went on when Baldurs Gate III came out. A bunch of low effort devs whined about it, and then they continued doing the bare minimum.
I was thinking the same with BG3.

Also makes me think of Modern Warfare during the 360/PS3 gen. All that success did was cause studios to lose focus and get quickly dissolved by whichever publisher owned them.

I'm sure it will be a high quality game that sells extremely well, but I'm also sure it will carry with it a lot of the hallmarks of current AAA development that gamers hate (woke, live service focus, etc.)
People have been playing the GTA games online since GTA 2 bruh.

Represent.

Let me ask you this first: why do YOU think this game over any other, is the most important release ever?

Any answer you give is completely subjective by the way. Just like if I said a world of Warcraft 2 would be more important or Elden Ring 2.

What’s important to you and to me is separate.

If you think the game will sell a lot and that’s important to you somehow, then great. It should do that.

Me? I don’t see this anymore important than any other GTa release or high profile AAA release.
I judge importance on an objective scale. Any game that can sell hardware is important. If one game sells more consoles than another game, its more important. This game will undoubtedly sell more consoles than any other game, probably in history, most definitely in the past 2 generations. Importance = makes money, sells hardware. not how good or bad i think the game is.

Another way to judge importance is by what the game does for a genre. GTA 3 was important for open worlds, it created the blueprint still followed today.

GTA 6 may now create another blueprint for the rest of the industry to strive towards.
This thing selling 20 mil copies minimum in the first week

IGN on some bullshit like usual
It'll do that in a day not a week

Sleepwalker

It will sell extremely well of course, and I will buy it day one.

But I think it won't be a masterpiece and I hope I'm wrong.

Represent.

That's just gonna cause studios to close up shop.

GTA is a unicorn, other studios can't compete with it. We've seen it for nearly 2 decades now; chasing trends ruins studios and causes closures. 🤷
not this gen, perhaps next - there was a time where no one could compete with GTA V - now that open world is standard

Top Bottom