• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Wii 2 = Stream, powered by R700 and 3core IBM, $350-$400 [Fixed Thread]

GJS

MYE said:
Is that a huge nintendo logo on the side of the system?
Either the unit is very small or Nintendo designers are smoking some brain damaging shit over there

or, its most likely fake

What does it matter, there's a big xbox logo on the side of the xbox 360 and a big playstation logo on the side of the PS3.

Krowley

MoogPaul said:
Why is everyone saying no waggle? Wasn't one of the big rumors that the controller acts as a sensor bar too? Placing the controller at the base of the TV and use the wiimote sounds like waggle to me.

They're meaning it may not be included in the box, in which case, you can bet there won't be many games built around it. This is only speculation though, and they might have some kind of motion controller in the box.

Also, I want to go on record saying that I basically trust the IGN rumors, but not necessarily the pics in the OP.. Although, it really wouldn't shock me if it turned out to be real. This would not be the first time that legit pics of a console leaked and everybody thought they were fakes. Betting on fake is always the safe bet with these things... It takes real nuts to bet on real.

Ulairi

Banned
subversus said:
but damn, if it really offers such a big perfomance boost then Nintendo should go with at least 1 gig of RAM.

I bet they put 2GB of ram in it. It's a great value/performance boost.

HeySeuss

If its really going to be called Stream, I wonder if they will have some kind of cloud service and all the game will be a digital distribution model?

It would save developers money on discs and packaging and maybe it would allow the games to be 10 bucks or so cheaper than buying a physical copy.

Digital distribution is the future anyway and since Nintendo was 2 generations behind on HD, I could see them jumping on a new business model first this time instead of playing catch-up.

Medalion

Banned
Of course immature idiots will think Stream means urine stream from a Wii or penis

It is nicknamed after the main component of the system, the supposed streaming of the console game to a mini screen on a controller

DonMigs85

Ulairi said:
I bet they put 2GB of ram in it. It's a great value/performance boost.
Maybe they'll have a fast pool of GDDR5 RAM (at least 512MB-1GB) and a pool of slow Auxiliary RAM like the GameCube for other data that doesn't need uber-bandwidth.

MYE

GJS said:
What does it matter, there's a big xbox logo on the side of the xbox 360 and a big playstation logo on the side of the PS3.

Nintedo's logo is not meant to be used in such fashion. Its too long and becomes too thick once you blow it up to that size.

Imagine you had a huge PLAYSTATION or MICROSOFT logo carved on the side of each system. It would look like shit.

McHuj

It actually might be a lot cheaper for Nintendo to buy a R700 series GPU IP/license than one of the more modern ones. Plus, newer cards have better support for things such as OpenCL which Nintendo may not care about at all. So a simpler GPU maybe all that they want.

If it's coming out this year or even in the spring of 2012, I bet it's on a 40nm process and if I had to guess, the GPU will probably be a 4650 level one at best.

From the rumors, I also find it hard to believe that it would be as big as the original 360 (unless the power supply is integrated)

antonz said:
Except as far as we know the pad still has motion controls,A touch screen and apparently a camera built in.

Its more than just a Regular controller with a ipod touch taped on

Ipod touch has motion controls and a built in camera.

[Nintex]

DonMigs85 said:
Maybe they'll have a fast pool of GDDR5 RAM (at least 512MB-1GB) and a pool of slow Auxiliary RAM like the GameCube for other data that doesn't need uber-bandwidth.
I guess they'll just go with 1GB or 2GB. They've been talking to third parties and all they ever rave about is RAM RAM RAM so they could go with 2GB or do it the Nintendo way and do 1.5GB.

JazzmanZ

I just don't see it releasing this fall.

The 3DS already came out this year, and it needs the spotlight, considering a lot of its games are coming out this fall (mario kart, Super mario 3DS, Metal gear solid 3DS)

M3d10n

While most of the info from IGN is probably bullshit (clocked higher than a 360? Really? 4.0GHz? Water cooling? LOLWUT?), what I can surmise from all these rumors is:

Project Café is a "home handheld". While the controllers can be used for VMU-style, DS-style and GBA-connectivity-style tasks, the innovation here is being able to access some features and even play some games without turning the TV on, the console being the "server" and the controllers being dumb "clients".

Nintendo has been talking about the limitations of being tethered to the TV for a while, so it adds some credibility to the rumors.

However, what doesn't make much sense is that, if true, Project Café will inevitably cannibalize their handheld business. Short of something very crazy, the controller cannot avoid looking like a handheld. It also eats away a handheld advantage: you aren't forced to sit in front of the TV to play on it. All in all, the idea is good, but sounds like it would cause lots of consumer confusion.

Zzoram

McHuj said:
It actually might be a lot cheaper for Nintendo to buy a R700 series GPU IP/license than one of the more modern ones. Plus, newer cards have better support for things such as OpenCL which Nintendo may not care about at all. So a simpler GPU maybe all that they want.

If it's coming out this year or even in the spring of 2012, I bet it's on a 40nm process and if I had to guess, the GPU will probably be a 4650 level one at best.

From the rumors, I also find it hard to believe that it would be as big as the original 360 (unless the power supply is integrated)

I doubt it's THAT much cheaper. Also, a 4870 won't be able to output 1080p 60fps with all the bells and whistles seen on the 360/PS3. A 5870 would.

Anyone remember, before the Wii launched, there were rumors of a type of system like this from Nintendo?

Specifically that the controller would act as a new type of Gameboy and be able to play the games from the system.

Crazy, but this looks like exactly that.

Nintendo probably never stopped developing it, or did it in conjunction with the Wii, and pushed out the Wii first because of tech and pricing.

Anyone remember this other then me?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
What gets me excited is that it combines some of the best aspects of local and online multiplayer. You can play with people who are at your house, but the console can stream the game to the controller, giving each player their own screen and eliminating screen cheating.

And while I have been waiting for a Wii successor, I hope they wait until at least early 2012. I want them to let the 3DS shine this holiday with system selling titles. Then release the new console and give it appropriate time to grow. Plus, the thought of buying two systems in one year as well as attending college makes my bank account cry.

Medalion

Banned
graywolf323 said:
I don't know why but I'm less excited for this than I was for the Wii
Because Wii dissapointed you so much you think Nintendo doesn't get what you look for in gaming anymore to care?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i would be really surprised if they went this route, simply because what would be the point of a portable system that you can only play at home? i suppose they'll probably have some sort of "streaming" service to play it elsewhere, but that wouldn't be very appealing, and something that they could just plainly do better with 3DS.

i would also be surprised because it doesnt seem like anything from the Wii is being used in the design that made the Wii unique to begin with.

-viper-

Banned
Green Scar said:
Megathreads are over, deal with it
Megathreads are better. Simply update the OP and title with the new information and that is all what is needed. Now we have two different threads discussing the same topic.

If they make a machine where davelopers can port games from the 360 that are running at a sub-HD res with a shitty framerate to their console and have them run at 1080p/60FPS with AA then that would be amazing.

I don't know why, but I don't believe these leaks. The leaks seem to compliment each other too much. That would make sense off course if all the leaks are true. But to me it sounds like all the mockups build on one another. "So one anonymous source says it'll have a 6" screen in the controllers huh? I'll make a mockup of the console that uses such controllers!" I'm willing to eat crow on all of this, off course.

Btw:
- Isn't 6" too big, even for the pics in the OP?
- Is Nintendo going to go away from motion controls? That seems so....illogical. The Wii might not have been a success (for gamers), but I really think some point-device is part of the console future. Or am I missing some of the rumored specs?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Green Scar said:
Megathreads are over, deal with it

Seeing as we are still in rumour territory, the rumour thread is where they belong, or we will have a thread like this every day until Nintendo say something official.

Even more so when the OP seems to think using the word stream gives credence to the faker than fake photos which appeared after the initial rumours and talk of streaming.

I mean really.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo is clearly joining the portable revolution of Tablets and handheld gaming, and this is there stop-gap solution, a console that can serve as both a home interface and portable gaming device...but... it may have limited range

Thoraxes

I very much like this update.
Interesting about the screen concept that I never thought of was the way to change how multi-player gaming works in the context of split-screen gaming. Pretty cool.
Either way, E3 will be very interesting this year, and I hope the N6 will be a successful system and have some great third-party support.

Only question now, if the images are true, is will the game run on both the TV and the device? I wouldn't like for my 40" TV to be rendered useless just because the console won't use it most of the time. But having it as a second screen in conjunction with the TV will work wonders for the aesthetics and interfaces of games. Touch input for menus is one of my preferred methods for console gaming, and this would immensely enhance both games and gameplay.

DECK'ARD said:
Unnecessary thread is unnecessary.
I've got to agree. This thread is just rehashing rumors already posted in the other thread. I don't really see the need for a new one until there's an official announcement...

Instro

M3d10n said:
While most of the info from IGN is probably bullshit (clocked higher than a 360? Really? 4.0GHz? Water cooling? LOLWUT?)

This was brought up in the other thread but POWER6 clocks up to 5ghz and POWER7 can clock up to 4.25 ghz.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm sure people said the same thing about Wii, but I can't imagine 'Stream' being the final name. It has no zing to it, it just doesn't sound right. Jokes been made a million times already, but someone probably made this up just so people would be calling it the Wii Stream.

Krowley

StickSoldier said:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I thought that scan was determined to be fake?

Could very well be fake... But the real news is the IGN story..

As for the pics, people would have declared them fake regardless. Just about every actual leak of a console gets declared fake initially, at least by a lot of people. These definitely might be fake, but there's no way to be sure. The IGN story offers a little bit of corroboration for them, but not even remotely enough to be definitive.

wsippel

Banned
Zzoram said:
I doubt it's THAT much cheaper. Also, a 4870 won't be able to output 1080p 60fps with all the bells and whistles seen on the 360/PS3. A 5870 would.
Actually, the midrange HD3whatever in my HTPC already runs pretty much all the latest and greatest PS360 games at 768p without breaking sweat. A 4870 should be more than sufficient to run the same stuff at 1080p.

Krowley

Snuggler said:
I'm sure people said the same thing about Wii, but I can't imagine 'Stream' being the final name. It has no zing to it, it just doesn't sound right. Jokes been made a million times already, but someone probably made this up just so people would be calling it the Wii Stream.

You should have seen the GAF reaction to the name wii.. It was incredibly epic.

and BTW I still stand by my assertion that it was and is a terrible name for a game console. Completely fucking stupid.

The Lamp said:
By jove....it LIVES!!

GoLsK.jpg

Dreamcast is still setting standards 12 years later, and from beyond the grave at that!

Any word on whether those controller screens are stereoscopic 3D? That might explain the streaming thing and why they might think it a good idea.

Even if it isn't stereoscopic 3D, it could mean that you could play games on the machine while someone else uses the TV. If that's the case, expect the controller to feature a headphone jack. Imagine, playing Zelda while your girlfriend beside you watches Greys Anatomy or your kid watches Sesame Street.

If you don't understand why this might be desirable, just wait until you get a live-in partner who doesn't game. She (or he) will have you watching cooking shows and shaving your neckbeard before you know it. Forget about playing Killzone 7: Carnage Edition with them or in front of them - just forget about it.

Motion control games would need to use the big screen, of course, but as these have been more social in nature in the past, so this shouldn't present too big an issue.

M74

Can we trust anything IGN says about horsepower? They are one of several sites that, at first, reported the Wii was going to be much more comparable to the 360's output except in standard definition. Where were their "sources" then?

Also, can we not merge this thread with the other rampant speculation thread on the same page?

Koren

CartridgeBlower said:
Anyone remember, before the Wii launched, there were rumors of a type of system like this from Nintendo?

Specifically that the controller would act as a new type of Gameboy and be able to play the games from the system.

Crazy, but this looks like exactly that.

Nintendo probably never stopped developing it, or did it in conjunction with the Wii, and pushed out the Wii first because of tech and pricing.

Anyone remember this other then me?
I also remember that the rumors before the Gamecube launch (from Sega among others) was describing the remote... Nintendo keeps developping hardware, and launch it when it's ready (and cheap)

Souldriver said:
Btw:
- Isn't 6" too big, even for the pics in the OP?
The controller shown undeniably has a ~4" screen. Something doesn't fit, latest IGN stuff sounds like it's cobbled together from those pictures and tech speculation. But who knows!

antonz

M74 said:
Can we trust anything IGN says about horsepower? They are one of several sites that, at first, reported the Wii was going to be much more comparable to the 360's output except in standard definition. Where were their "sources" then?

Also, can we not merge this thread with the other rampant speculation thread on the same page?

MisterHero

the pics should only make it more obvious that it's fake. the wording doesn't even feel like it's addressing professionals, or even in comparison to other Nintendo slideshows

the next thing that should follow is a one of those photos depicting a 'rapid prototyped', 'in-progress' controller, on a non-descript surface (most likely a wooden desk), shot so close that you can't tell the photo was taken in a basement or a closet

mattx5

Putting my bet on the system name relating to its server/client characteristics, so:

Nintendo HUB
Nintendo HOME
Nintendo NEXUS
Nintendo LINK
Nintendo Entertainment System

Though I think that, like Wii, it'll be another made-up word, acronym or neologism that implies the above qualities in the way it sounds.

knitoe

Seems insane that Nintendo seems to be saying "FU" to all the casual gamers that made the Wii #1 by going back to what looks like a regular controller setup.

Top Bottom