• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Wii-k In Review 08/17/07

Dr.Hadji

Alkaliine said:
- Mario Kart Wii will probably be more casual than some expect. Don't know about any unannounced Nintendo-developed hardcore titles, but do know about Nintendo-published titles developed by other parties. Some games that were initially very hardcore are now less so - hardcore title list may be thinning out.

Can't be any more casual than MKDD. If it is, then God help us all.

aka, MKDD is slop.

rakka

Lobster said:
So 9.5 to 10.

You wish...

- Next week embargo lifts - embargoed on certain levels. Will soon release videos that truly show the game's visuals - much better than the compressed footage Nintendo is showing you. Will talk lots more about it in next week's podcast.

Nice to hear this.

And we're done.

Funnily enough there's actually quite a bit of Metroid talk spread throughout the podcast. The main impressions I got from it is that it is at least as good as Metroid Prime 1 and definitely better than Metroid Prime 2. It's definitely a visuals step above Echoes. The controls work very well and offer a level of precision unmatched on Wii. It's very atmospheric and even contains some scary moments. All in all, it's just awesome.

So

It scored "around" Bioshock

It's better than Echoes

Matt said, if he could re-rate Echoes today, he'd give it a 9.3 So that means Prime 3 will get anywhere from a 9.4 to a 9.8. I personally don't see it doing better than Bioshock, so I'll say 9.6.

This is so typical of the kind of shit Matt keeps going on about. There's is no concievable way to make Mario Kart more casual. We've seen DS tracks in it, so the level design can't be simpler. We've seen the tracks have more slopes so it's not being made easier. The motion control alone doesn't make the game casual.

The reason Matt keeps talking about "Mature" games is because the kind of people making them are Z level developers that want attention from IGN because no publisher will touch their game.

ShockingAlberto said:
So

It scored "around" Bioshock

It's better than Echoes

Matt said, if he could re-rate Echoes today, he'd give it a 9.3 So that means Prime 3 will get anywhere from a 9.4 to a 9.8. I personally don't see it doing better than Bioshock, so I'll say 9.6.

They said madden 08 would score slightly higher than 07, and then gave it the same score. I bet Prime 3 gets a 9.7.

citrus lump said:
They said madden 08 wouls score slightly higher than 07, and then gave it the same score. I bet Prime 3 gets a 9.7.

Matt and Mark prefer Metroid Prime 3 to Metroid Prime 1.

I doubt it'll get a 9.8 though.

Linkup said:
It's already casual. Really, what can they dumb down?

The control. They are probably talking about how you just use the "racing wheel" to control. Maybe you can't even use the GC controllers or the Wiimote for this one. That would kinda suck.

n128

Ok thanks for summary.
Too much METROID spoiler in IGN next week.
Will not check the site recently.

The_legend_of_drtre said:
The control. They are probably talking about how you just use the "racing wheel" to control. Maybe you can't even use the GC controllers or the Wiimote for this one. That would kinda suck.

I very much doubt you'll be able to use the Gamecube controller. Excite Truck was a better game for it's controls, and hopefully Mario Kart Wii will too. If they add the tilting back and forth from Excite Truck to affect corners it could make the game feel a little different.

Tristam

Alkaliine said:
And we're done.

Funnily enough there's actually quite a bit of Metroid talk spread throughout the podcast. The main impressions I got from it is that it is at least as good as Metroid Prime 1 and definitely better than Metroid Prime 2. It's definitely a visuals step above Echoes. The controls work very well and offer a level of precision unmatched on Wii. It's very atmospheric and even contains some scary moments. All in all, it's just awesome.

That's excellent. The "scary moments" are some of the best parts of Metroid games. The room with the statues of the bosses and the rooms in Tourian with husks of shriveled enemies (courtesy of the hatchling) were probably the scariest moments in Super Metroid. The space pirate colony (the very beginning of the game) was probably the scariest moment in Metroid Prime.

Tristam said:
That's excellent. The "scary moments" are some of the best parts of Metroid games. The room with the statues of the bosses and the rooms in Tourian with husks of shriveled enemies (courtesy of the hatchling) were probably the scariest moments in Super Metroid. The space pirate colony (the very beginning of the game) was probably the scariest moment in Metroid Prime.

Agreed.

I remember a moment in Metroid Prime when you're in Chozo ruins and heading towards the Sunchamber, and you see a Chozo Ghost for the same time. The hallway darkens and you see the ghost a few metres in front of you, and it disappears after a second. That scared me heaps.

Tristam

Grecco said:
Peers impression of Craig sounds like Jay Leno

What the fuck is with their impressions of message board posters? They've got this faux French evildoer accent going and it gets annoying.

I just said that so they would quote my post in the next Wiik In Review!

Not really.

Deku

Banned
Wasn't there supposed to be some new game they were going to reveal from a PC dev? I dont read these updates often but when I checked last week's thread that bulletpoint stood out.

Does Matt & co. reneg on their musings so easily?

medrew

Matt's always promising a 'exclusive coming soon you won't believe' that never eventuates and is never talked about again. Or maybe it's just the same game he alludes to and is being developed by Silicon Knights.

Top Bottom