• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'll just outright say it, Nioh is a fucking slog of a game

Nev

Banned
Who could've seen this coming when they announced it'd be a 70 hours game and the enemies in the gameplay trailers were the same as in the betas?

Also lol at people saying it has better combat than Souls. It isn't about executing combos and pressing a lot of buttons, it's about enemy variety and dealing with them in different ways, something Nioh severely lacks. If I want an execution heavy game I'll play DMC, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, not their half-assed, lite version.

I was out as soon as I heard "loot" anyways. Fuck that trash.

shounenka

Didn't this get patched quite some time ago or are you talking about something else?

I'm playing the Japanese version so I don't know what it's called in English, but the Japanese name of the Onmyo magic talisman (chidon) translates as "sluggish" -- it makes literally all enemies, even bosses, move at half the speed, which makes it easy as hell to read and dodge their attacks. What's worse, the talismans can be chained together, so if you use two of them in succession, have a fair mastery of the "ki" system and just keep wailing on the boss from behind with your weapon of choice, I have found that bosses can be brought to less than 1/3 health by the time the talismans wear off. Use your guardian spirit weapon (assuming it's charged) at that stage, and you've won.

I'm playing the Japanese version so I don't know what it's called in English, but the Japanese name of the Onmyo magic talisman (chidon) translates as "sluggish" -- it makes literally all enemies, even bosses, move at half the speed, which makes it easy as hell to read and dodge their attacks. What's worse, the talismans can be chained together, so if you use two of them in succession, have a fair mastery of the "ki" system and just keep wailing on the boss from behind with your weapon of choice, I have found that bosses can be brought to less than 1/3 health by the time the talismans wear off. Use your guardian spirit weapon (assuming it's charged) at that stage, and you've won.

DA FUQ!?
um, wow

I completely avoided Onmyo stuff as well as Ninjitsu for my first ongoing playthrough and glad I did (O___o)

EmSeta

I agree that Nioh was too bloated. Too many random useless item drops and too much reused content.

But Team Ninja is truly on to something here. The core gameplay is great.

Harmen

There are new bosses and they are definitely the highlight of the game.

Ah, thanks. I don't think the lack of new regular enemies would be a problem for me personally. That is relatively common in many games anyways, though I understand that people expect differently from Souls-esque titles.

shounenka

DA FUQ!?
um, wow

I completely avoided Onmyo stuff as well as Ninjitsu for my first ongoing playthrough and glad I did (O___o)

Yes; it's too easily exploited, and hard to keep yourself from doing so when you know it will work every single time.

I disagree with the opinion that the combat is better than Souls -- on its own the combat in Nioh is fluid as hell, easy to control and fun to look at, but the enemy encounters don't live up to the promise. Honestly, it's like fighting enemies from an early 90's brawler like Final Fight/Streets of Rage, but you're on a 3D plane and you (arguably) look cooler doing it. You'd think that non-yokai enemy AI (felled samurai, etc.) would throw you a curve ball here and there at the least, but no such luck. Even high-level felled samurai (katanazuka) can be easily kited around objects in the environment for easy kills.

For me, the knight encounters in one of the very first levels of Dark Souls 3 (High Wall of Lothric) were more memorable than any human encounter in Nioh minus the bosses (which, again, can be rendered completely impotent using the spell I mentioned above).

nynt9

Who could've seen this coming when they announced it'd be a 70 hours game and the enemies in the gameplay trailers were the same as in the betas?

Also lol at people saying it has better combat than Souls. It isn't about executing combos and pressing a lot of buttons, it's about enemy variety and dealing with them in different ways, something Nioh severely lacks. If I want an execution heavy game I'll play DMC, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, not their half-assed, lite version.

I was out as soon as I heard "loot" anyways. Fuck that trash.

It's funny how combative people get in threads like this. You can't just prefer something, the thing you don't like has to be trash, half assed, and people who like it laughable.

Its more technical. I woulnd't say better.

It's more technical, has more variety, more precise, more complex and has more subtly.

I would consider it one of if not the best combat systems in any game. Every weapon, skill, ninjitsu, onmyo option in the game is a viable playstyle either on its own or in unison with others and the combat accommodates the player and that isn't taking into account the armour and weapon buffs. The Souls style of play is one small and very limited playstyle in the game and if sticking to that you are missing out on a huge portion of the game and it will get stale. I don't think it can be compared to the Souls combat though, at no point does the game ask you to play that way nor is it like the Souls games that give a set of rules revolving around combat which ask you to play a specify way.

danmaku

It's funny how combative people get in threads like this. You can't just prefer something, the thing you don't like has to be trash, half assed, and people who like it laughable.

You don't get cool internet points by giving a balanced, rational explanation.

xuchu

Yeah, every game is either 10/10 or 0/10 streaming pile of shit.

a.wd

Yeah, I get it I actually liked it until someone the other day said it was better than Ninja Gaiden, then I thought "not on its best day"

Then I realised how much of a slog it is. IMO YMMV etc

I still need to go back to Nioh I only reached the 3rd region then stopped because other games came around that caught my interest. I will finish it someday hopefully.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I just beat
Saika Magoichi

How close am I to beating this thing? Man, it really does go on forever.

Still one more region after this! :p

On the combat: of course you can spend the entire game with one weapon in one stance, but it's much more fun to try out all the weapons and get into the Onmyo or Ninjutsu a bit. The first respec books are cheap to buy, so you have plenty of opportunities to reroll your character and experiment with other approaches. After my run I explored each of the weapons except the kusarigama, keeping that for when I do the dlc down the line.

Jimrpg

So I just beat
Saika Magoichi

How close am I to beating this thing? Man, it really does go on forever.

You are about 70% of the way through.

The good news is that the last two regions are easily the best of the game. You get stronger, you can fill out your shortcuts with all sorts of magic and ninjitsu. You have a lot of options going into a boss battle.

The game goes on for too long and you fight the same enemies often, but the gameplay is just too good.

Quite simply the best 3rd person combat system ever. It's my GOTY.

Nocturno999

I'm loving the game so far. Feels like a Ninja Gaiden/ Dark Souls/Diablo hybrid.

I've been farming player's ghosts for nice gear so far.

My favorite PS4 exclusive atm.

gfxtwin

It has some of my favorite combat in any game, but yes, there should be fewer levels. Cut out the most boring ones. remove the optional ones entirely and past over them with the main mission filler (15-20 hours worth). Because you spend so much time grinding, there isn't any need for a 50+ hour game. That said, you can't complain too much because everything there is still quality. I just ended up playing it in short bursts now and then after the 40 hour mark and it's cool to know it's still there for me to play through.

Innolis

I have to agree with OP. The gameplay is sublime but it gets bogged down by repetitive enemies and boring/bland level design.

The potential for the series is huge though if they can improve on those things.

Top Bottom