• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm genuinely tired of The Critical Drinker and other channels of the same ilk, and I think they're only making things worse for an average moviegoer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Nerdrotic
HellvsBabyface
Mauler
Melonie Mac
And a bunch of other channels led by guys with English sounding accents who all focus on one thing - shitting on woke Hollywood.

I watched Drinker at the beginning when his channel was just taking off, and after a while I even started looking into those other channels that I mentioned once they started appearing together on various podcasts. It was pretty cathartic for a while to have someone finally speak up about all those movies and TV shows that sucked, and unlike the people who are usually motivated by prejudice and bigotry in criticising movies with THE MESSAGE, guys like Drinker actually made some convincing and reasonable arguments. I suppose it's because he's like a published author or something, so he definitely knows how to write compelling scripts for his videos too. But the more I consumed that type of content the more it started to grate on me because channels like that pretty much thrive on shooting down things that are very easy to make fun of, especially if your specialty is pandering to the audience who just wants to cathartically hear someone more eloquent than themselves validate their frustration with "woke" movies.

Don't get me wrong, much of the stuff that they tend to criticise IS a dumpster fire, but even when you catch a glimpse of them actually praising something, they will usually do it through the same type of lens. So, as a result, whenever something's good in the eyes of a Drinker, it's usually in part because it's not one of those "woke" films, and it has a manly man doing manly things. It's a generalisation of course, but there's definitely a trend to be found in his content and it's all very transparent and tiresome sometimes. Yes, there are bad movies coming out these days, but when did Hollywood ever NOT release shit movies that sucked for one reason or another? There's also more than one way to look at movies than through this vaguely political lens, but I feel like because he puts so much focus on that aspect, and because he's so popular, he kinda contributes to creating this toxic echo chamber for people who won't even bother engaging with something if there's a chance that it has THE MESSAGE in it.

I mean, am I crazy or does anyone else see this? If you go looking for something then you can find it pretty much everywhere. I could probably make some pretty convincing arguments that every 80s action movie is actually about the main character struggling with his homosexuality, but I doubt that was the actual intent of the filmmakers.

Drizzlehell

Banned
REDLETTERMEDIA

All you need.
thats-right.gif

(I really hope your name is "Jay")

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was speaking to my homie about Critical Drinker the other day and he's not PC and he out right said Critical Drinker hates women I was losing it.

They're all congregate together and have the same hive mind opinions on surface level media. Critical Drinker has the audience and intelligence to actually reach out and hit some deep cut movie recommendations but he's just like "Have you guys heard of Die Hard lol."

I like to put on movie reviews sometimes for entertainment. Just to have something on in the background. I'm usually not even interested in the movie. Haven't been to a theater since 2017. I think you're overestimating the reach and influence of youtube movie critics.

Pejo

This sounds like one of those situations where you're like, "Yea sure I find "x thing" annoying, but you know who's even more annoying? People complaining about "x thing", am I right???"

Drinker and ilk take the low hanging fruit, but I don't think it's their fault that Hollywood has been absolute dogshit for the better part of a decade now, and I personally find it nice that there's at least some semi popular outlet talking about how these films are shit.

Mossybrew

Yeah agree OP, I've watched a few of his videos, and he can make some decent points, but he's so obsessed with viewing everything through that same lens, it does get old. I don't watch him anymore.

NeoGiffer

Nerdrotic
HellvsBabyface
Mauler
Melonie Mac
And a bunch of other channels led by guys with English sounding accents who all focus on one thing - shitting on woke Hollywood.

I watched Drinker at the beginning when his channel was just taking off, and after a while I even started looking into those other channels that I mentioned once they started appearing together on various podcasts. It was pretty cathartic for a while to have someone finally speak up about all those movies and TV shows that sucked, and unlike the people who are usually motivated by prejudice and bigotry in criticising movies with THE MESSAGE, guys like Drinker actually made some convincing and reasonable arguments. I suppose it's because he's like a published author or something, so he definitely knows how to write compelling scripts for his videos too. But the more I consumed that type of content the more it started to grate on me because channels like that pretty much thrive on shooting down things that are very easy to make fun of, especially if your specialty is pandering to the audience who just wants to cathartically hear someone more eloquent than themselves validate their frustration with "woke" movies.

Don't get me wrong, much of the stuff that they tend to criticise IS a dumpster fire, but even when you catch a glimpse of them actually praising something, they will usually do it through the same type of lens. So, as a result, whenever something's good in the eyes of a Drinker, it's usually in part because it's not one of those "woke" films, and it has a manly man doing manly things. It's a generalisation of course, but there's definitely a trend to be found in his content and it's all very transparent and tiresome sometimes. Yes, there are bad movies coming out these days, but when did Hollywood ever NOT release shit movies that sucked for one reason or another? There's also more than one way to look at movies than through this vaguely political lens, but I feel like because he puts so much focus on that aspect, and because he's so popular, he kinda contributes to creating this toxic echo chamber for people who won't even bother engaging with something if there's a chance that it has THE MESSAGE in it.

I mean, am I crazy or does anyone else see this? If you go looking for something then you can find it pretty much everywhere. I could probably make some pretty convincing arguments that every 80s action movie is actually about the main character struggling with his homosexuality, but I doubt that was the actual intent of the filmmakers.

gameofthrones-vomit.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
I only heard of The Critical Drinker last week when another channel I follow talked about it. Watched about 3 minutes of that video before moving on. Don't Care.
Figured there would be more of the same out there but LOL who gives a shit.

RLM all the way baybeeeee!

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I love that channel but I wonder if it's better to not know about the man behind the curtain.
They're just entertainers, I don't think there's a need to view them any other way.

More importantly they do a great job at educating their audience and presenting more diverse points of view... on top of just being hilarious of course, lol

Last edited:

violence

They're just entertainers, I don't think there's a need to view them any other way.

More importantly they do a great job at educating their audience and presenting more diverse points of view... on top of just being hilarious of course, lol
That’s kind of what I’m talking about. Maybe it’s better to stay uneducated so you can more easily suspend your disbelief? I have a hard time doing that these days. But their content is awesome so I’m gonna watch it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't need Youtubers to convince me the majority of modern movies are crap. I attend maybe 3 movies per year and come to my own conclusions. Watching someone on the internet shouting into a microphone won't stop me from seeing those few. So...why does it matter what they do or don't say?

AmuroChan

I honestly don't think the average moviegoer knows who any of these people are. Even amongst my friends who are movie fans, they mostly just look at RT and decide if they want to see a movie or not.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Most youtube criticism is pretty poor across the board.
I wouldn't say that. There are plenty of great game critics who do great indepth retrospectives of older titles. Retropolis Zone is one that comes to mind, his videos are long but so entertaining to rewatch

Imagine giving a shit about critics or youtubers. You can't make your own opinion of a movie? You have to only see what they recommend or not? Only sheeps do that. If a movie trailer strikes your fancy go see it and decide, stop watching people telling you what to do.
if critics didn't exist you'd catch yourself spending 60 dollars on Redfall, so they do indeed serve a purpose. It's hard to "come to your own conclusion" when it's money on the line

Saiyan-Rox

Melanie Mac is just a head nodder tbh never did really like her.

The drinker is right about a lot of stuff and I watch him and nerdrotic a lot but I will say they tend to hate things for the sake of hating shit sometimes.

Do I agree with everything they say? Nope but they are right about a good bit.

Part of it is because over time a schtick gets tiring. Unfortunately, Critical Drinker has to maintain his even though I'm sure he's tired of it himself. Another part of it is because some of these outlets do not offer anything beyond what they do. No constructive criticism or potentially alternative writing/scene takes to show how the creation could improve. Instead, it's endless dissection and negative point making.

As much as people here are iffy or don't like youtubers like HiTop Films, he will at least try and offer his ideas, especially when he does not like a movie. He will at least do research on the directors, producers, or behind the scenes interviews and segments to see 'what went wrong'. At times he'll go over the potential of the director and writing staff to see how they could have made a great project if just one or two things were tweaked to their strengths. He tries to provide something in the hopes that a future budding writer or director could learn from it and do better than their predecessors.

What I suggest to you OP is to look for the channels that either try to breakdown a scene or try to go behind the scenes of a movie so that you can get a better understanding as to a film's failure or success, rather than just going to channels to hear some guy rant about it for 30 minutes. Someone like CinemaStix, Thomas Flight, CorridorCrew or even HiTop Films. There's others out there but I can't think of them at the moment. The content doesn't necessarily have to be positive, but what it should do is give you some form of knowledge or intrigue.

Imagine giving a shit about critics or youtubers. You can't make your own opinion of a movie? You have to only see what they recommend or not? Only sheeps do that. If a movie trailer strikes your fancy go see it and decide, stop watching people telling you what to do.
The sheepiest thing anyone could do is mindlessly watch whatever content media companies present you using exclusively more media created by those same companies as a guide.

If your opinion after watching is literally based on what other people say then yeah that's a problem, but as a consumer you should always use as much available information as possible to inform your purchasing decision. It doesn't matter if you are buying a car or a dishwasher or a movie ticket.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
if critics didn't exist you'd catch yourself spending 60 dollars on Redfall,

Who do you trust and who do you not?

[you shouldnt trust anyone

You and many more have enjoyed badly criticized games and movies. Risk is part of life. Avoiding something someone told you is bad is idiotic since you may actually enjoy it.

Theres a huge difference between informing yourself before buying a potentially broken product that you want to use for years and something you watch for a few bucks on a Sunday.
It's still time lost, which you could argue is equally valuable.

Besides it's all about how you use the information. I've used negative reviews many times to confirm my decision to play an average rated game - usually they are more helpful than the positive reviews.

Kilau

I was speaking to my homie about Critical Drinker the other day and he's not PC and he out right said Critical Drinker hates women I was losing it.

They're all congregate together and have the same hive mind opinions on surface level media. Critical Drinker has the audience and intelligence to actually reach out and hit some deep cut movie recommendations but he's just like "Have you guys heard of Die Hard lol."
Tatiana would disagree, heh heh heh *drunken Scottish slurring*

jason10mm

Gold Member
Part of it is because over time a schtick gets tiring. Unfortunately, Critical Drinker has to maintain his even though I'm sure he's tired of it himself. Another part of it is because some of these outlets do not offer anything beyond what they do. No constructive criticism or potentially alternative writing/scene takes to show how the creation could improve. Instead, it's endless dissection and negative point making.
I don't watch a ton of critical drinker but he does offer up the "classic" way a story could be constructed, how they could have propped up a heroine without destroying her male costars, or basic foreshadowing and plot development. There are clear indications of a shift (or lack of proper training) in scripts and editing to focus on easy win emotional beats and incoherent and inconsistent story elements that just loosely connect action scenes. And that's without any "woke" nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom