• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not sure I want an Indiana Jones 5 (actually I'm pretty sure I don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So I accidentally ended up watching the Plinkett Crystal Skull review and a lot of the issues cited in the review are issues with Spielberg, not even with Lucas. I'm not sure Spielberg has changed enough to warrant hype after Crystal Skull. Are we going to get a heavier focus on practical sets such as with Abrams and Force Awakens? Can Spielberg go back into that realistic violence or is he too much in that grandfather phase? I'm not expecting Munich levels but it would be nice to see some of that. A lot of the underlying issues with Crystal Skull don't seem like they'll be fixed without a drastic shake up on the directing side. I don't think just throwing Pratt at the movie will fix it. How old is Harrison Ford going to be in 2018 when they're filming? Even Crystal Skull was stretching his age way past the breaking point.

I'm having a difficult time imagining this ending well. Maybe if they took a Star Wars approach to it, in regards to new actors and staff, I might have more optimism. Reading this though isn't exactly making me excited:
http://theplaylist.net/reboot-sort-will-follow-indiana-jones-5-says-disney-chief-bob-iger-20160622/ said:
In an extensive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Iger responds to a question of whether an ‘Indiana Jones’ universe, as with “Star Wars,” is in the works by saying “Not like ‘Star Wars,’ no. But we hope… right now, we’re focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.”

Iger walks it back a little bit, saying “we’ll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next… It’s not really a reboot, it’s a boot — a reboot. I don’t know. We got Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what’s the direction? I’ve had discussions about what the direction is, but I don’t want to get into it… it won’t be just a one-off.”

This just seems like it will have most of the same issues Crystal Skull had.

I personally believe the writing was the biggest issue with the last movie. If they get a good script Spielberg can deliver.

Sanctuary

That hypothetical Chris Pratt reboot would have been nice.

ChrisPratt_Indy3_Pic.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I personally believe the writing was the biggest issue with the last movie. If they get a good script Spielberg can deliver.

Well it seems like David Koepp (Jurassic Park/Crystal Skull) is writing. However a lot of the issues with the film weren't writing oriented. There's basic stuff like Ford's delivery, as he was in the 'I don't give a fuck phase' of his career, but also how Spielberg shot some of the scenes such as the forest truck duel. Writing was definitely one of the problems but it's not like that was the sole issue. I doubt we're going to be seeing people get crushed by a tank. There was a physicality that was lost with the fourth movie and I'm not sure Spielberg is going to reintroduce that.

120v

crystal skull being the close to harrison ford's indy would just be sad. imo they sort of need to do indy 5. doesn't have to be the greatest thing in the world just have a competent script

bingo... script was a frankenstein culmination of ideas cobbled together. wasn't so much a matter of cgi, nuked fridges, ect. there just wasn't anything to work with

Is Pratt going to taje a shot at dramatic roles? His star is rising thanks to genre action films but does he have the talent I wonder?

no faith in this after the travesty of a movie that is Crystal Skull.

and I liked the idea of aliens in an Indy film. also, shia was honestly one of the better parts of that movie.

Just leave it alone if you're gonna try and force Ford at the role again.

Yep, I don't have faith in it either. The original Indiana Jones trilogy is pretty much my favorite set of movies of all time but I don't think Spielberg or Ford really have it in them anymore.

Lomax

I enjoyed Crystal Skull in the theaters but in retrospect it isn't something I'd ever want to see again. I think an Indiana Jones movie where he hands the reigns off to someone else could lead to a good new series, but honestly I think Spielburg and Lucas are just getting too old to bring the kind of energy making those movies takes and I don't know anyone else I'd want making those movies. I would love to see more movies in that genre though, I think the genre as a whole is due for some love.

SalvaPot

I am always on the camp that there is nothing wrong with more sequels. If they are bad, just ignore them and move on.

Bumping this thread, as I'm also rewatching the Plinkett-review.

I definitely think Spielberg has in it if he's just shown the way. He seems like the kind of director that does at the moment what he's interested in. If he's at the moment interested in a brass-tacks Indiana Jones, he can.

Zukuu

Banned
Indiana Jones doesn't work - or at least only in a very different form.
Harrison Ford / Indi is simply too old for an action flick, so the film can't be anything like 1-3, which I honestly don't mind. I would love to see a IJ movie about puzzles, smart dialogue, flippant remarks with little to no action, but I don't think they will ever make something like that.

That means you gotta bring in "young blood" to do the action, which failed miserably as we saw with 4. It was primarily a family adventure, then an Indi movie. The dynamic from father-son like in Last Crusade was missing. That would have been the only alternative solution, but they needed to add the girlfriend, the love interest and the dog and whatnot during every scene.

That leaves us only with a reboot / earlier years I'm afraid.

120v

Indiana Jones doesn't work - or at least only in a very different form.
Harrison Ford / Indi is simply too old for an action flick, so the film can't be anything like 1-3, which I honestly don't mind. I would love to see a IJ movie about puzzles, smart dialogue, flippant remarks with little to no action, but I don't think they will ever make something like that.

Harrison got around great in indy 4. I was shocked by the intro sequence how agile he was. though I dunno if that was post production work or whatever

Granted the movie's a decade old now but he's still probably got it in him assuming the new one starts filming soon. One of the better aging actors

DeviantBoi

I still cringe when he says "Part time".

It's a funny line, but the delivery is awful. I blame the script and not the actor, though. Just standing there and saying "part time" feels off.

I mean, I want more, and I'll watch more.. but I'll sure as hell be a lot more guarded or whatever this time. I was really hyped for Crystal Skull.. and enjoyed in in theaters at the time.. but the monkey swinging shit was where it lost me.

That Part Time bit.. daaamn

thefro

Just dust off the script for Tintin 2 and put Indy in Tintin's place.

The first one was the real Indiana Jones 4.

Just have Steven Moffat (who did the first draft of Tintin 1 and couldn't polish because Writer's Strike/then he took-over Dr. Who) & Russell T Davies write it.

Writing problem solved. Have the people who worked on a serialized long-running TV show do a movie based on old serials.

Probably unthinkable for many, but what we really need is a reboot. Ford isn't Indiana Jones anymore. The thrill isn't in the name or the face. It's that idea of the classic adventurer on the pulp adventure

Does 74-year old Ford capture that anymore?

Just reboot it. Go back to the 30s and 40s, a pulp adventure in that era would actually be a breath of fresh air nowadays. Get a new Indy; define the character for the new and next generations.

Honestly I kind of wish that Uncharted movie hadnt died because if done well, it's the closest we'd probably get to a modern Indiana Jones movie. The ancient relics, the traps and action, the heroic adventurer

I'm hoping that the reason they are trotting out the old crew one last time is because they feel like they have something to prove.

qkLEWePm.jpg

Cheap TV movie but I thought it was pretty decent and captured the same sense of adventure as an Indiana Jones film. Plus it had Stana Katic as a vampire love interest.

It's not the real deal, and I want to see how Temple of Doom Spielberg would handle a monster movie, but I'll settle for mature Tintin Spielberg.

Also, I've seen this one already. :3

Cuburt

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Unicorn has me in the same boat.

That was pretty much the Indiana Jones film I would have liked Crystal Skull to be, well maybe a little less aimed at kids.

Boney

Banned
Indy 4's tone was the complete antithesis from Temple of Doom somber tone. Crystal Skull is terrible because it snaps your suspension of disbelief on every single scene that isn't a scene that just doesn't make sense and confuses you. Breaking the suspension of disbelief on a franchise based on other worldly elements seems impossible but they screwed up so bad.

Bad acting, horrible cg and a nonsense antagonist that never raises the stakes is just the cherry on top of this mess.

The movie is prequel level crap, and even worse. Indy 5 should never ever happen with HF being 70. Who does that.. A reboot would probably be lame and forgettable but a sequel is mind boggling.

The thing I hate the most is how it constantly breaks the 4th wall as a comedy crutch, "I'm getting to old for this" just as he crashed into a truck's windshield is beyond me.

Cafeman

Make Indy 5 a prequel to Indy 4. It took place 1 year earlier. It begins with Marcus' funeral. Sallah is there. Plot plot plot and there you go.

I didn't hate Crystal Skull as much as most people seemed to. It wasn't the world's worst movie and not every idea in it was bad. It just didn't capture quite the same spirit that the original trilogy did.

Honestly my biggest reservation about Indy 5 is Harrison Ford himself. Even in Star Wars he looked way too old to be doing any of the action beats he was doing in that movie. I can't imagine him traipsing around as Indiana Jones.

Surfinn

The story has been told. It doesn't offer much anymore. 3 was already a repeat mostly.

I thought 3 was the absolute best one. Best action, adventure, comedy and memorable moments.

Unless they've actually got some good ideas, they really need to stop with Indy. Crystal Skull had the same problems the prequels did (bad/lazy writing, boring ideas, overuse of/unnecessary CGI).

They COULD make another great Indy movie since Harrison can still act (proven in TFA), but I think his performance will reflect the quality.

Timeaisis

I love Ford and Spielberg, but just reboot the damn thing instead of forcing it.

Here, I have a plot outline for you if you really want Ford in it still:

INT - STUDY BY FIRELIGHT
Indy is in a rocking chair reading a book by Plato, obscuring his features. He lowers the book, he's an old man now! He's also Harrison Ford. Kid runs up to him.

Grandkid: What's that, Grandpa?
Indy: Let me tell you a story about Atlantis...

EXT - SOMEWHERE IN SOUTH AMERICA - DAY
Indy (in 40s or so - not played by Ford) stands over a waterfall, looking down. Kicks a rock down, camera follows it as it splashes into the water, then turns a golden color.
Title Card - INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS

You're welcome, Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom