• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm surprised Sony doesn't have a first party AA/AAA level JRPG presently

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I rather enjoyed The Legend of Dragoon but I don't know how it did sales-wise so that might be part of the reason for them not trying it again.

Anyways, with Square Enix launching a convincing comeback to the throne of AAA JRPGs, I'm surprised Sony hasn't tried to add a little healthy competition into the arena by making their own. Even niche genres like Dark Souls/Bloodborne did well and they aren't "true" JRPGs. With Japan finally realizing that the West wants and craves RPGs from them, you'd think Sony would try to get to work on some since the demand is clearly there vocally and sales wise.

What do you guys think?

Well, Bloodborne is a JRPG, so...

The more traditional take on the genre, not really surprised. Sony takes risks on games as much as anyone, but until they find a studio solid enough on delivering one within a budget that would make back money in today's world, I'd say it's still a calculated risk more than anything.

Exentryk

This is perhaps the reason I don't play any of Sony's first party games. Large RPGs have to be the most ambitious and costly games to make, so I can see why they don't have one.

However, Verendus said SE Japan had a JRPG in the works. It was a few years ago though.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
They have virtually every JRPG on their console. They don't really need one of their own

True but that didn't stop them from dropping LOD back when JRPGs were in abundance. I know its a different climate financially and demand wise but I think even if they remade LOD or did a sequel, without risking bank on a brand new IP, it would do pretty good

Josh5890

Dark Cloud was sooooo long ago. Anyway it makes sense from a financial standpoint when they are the defacto JRPG console.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Dammit Verendus. I was clinging to that goddamn Sony JRPG rumor. Never came to fruition. It's not like Sony cares. They have all or the JRPG on their systems and those AAA ones are a massive money/time sink.

sublimit

Banned
They have third party publishers making exclusive ones for them (like Ni no kuni) so why bother themselves?

I'm always in favor of more traditional JRPGs, so yeah, it'd be great if Sony made one.

But as other people have said, the PS4 (and Vita, if you like DRPGs, which I do) are pretty much the kings of this crown already, so they don't really need to make one.

I sure wish we could resurrect Legend of Dragoon or release LoD2 or something. I love that game.

Japan Studio has been through turmoil for about 10 years without a clear sense of direction. They farmed out White Knight Chronicles to Level-5 which was critically lukewarm and commercially didn't seem to do much. They revived Oreshika... on Vita, and somehow managed to screw it up by making it frustrating to fans who played the originals.

Not like they've not tried at least a little.

AA/AAA JRPG's seem to be falling by the wayside anyway. Unless you're a name with a lot of nostalgia attached you don't seem to be able to do much. Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy/Tales all thrive on being franchises with a lot of history. Even more niche stuff like Atelier has been around for decades.

And even then, while Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy continue to demand high budgets, the mid-tier stuff keeps shrinking and shrinking. Tales games now seem to be given peanuts for budgets compared to the Vesperia days (though MS probably helped with that). Star Ocean V clearly had nothing to work on. SaGa was revived and made on Unity without voice acting.

I wouldn't say it's a particularly healthy market by any stretch unless you're a niche developer making games for a specific group of people. Falcom do well with Legend of Heroes, but I wouldn't say that was AA/AAA by any stretch.

Exentryk

what's a jrpg

giphy.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Name a current-gen console or platform with a better 2017 JRPG selection.

The fuck? Sony is kicking ass and taking names when it comes to JRPG's right now.

Was Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines first party? I know they published it. Also thery have TWO classic JRPG franchises coming back!..... for mobile...

This is perhaps the reason I don't play any of Sony's first party games. Large RPGs have to be the most ambitious and costly games to make, so I can see why they don't have one.

However, Verendus said SE Japan had a JRPG in the works. It was a few years ago though.

I'm a hardcore JRPG fan too, but is that the only genre you play? Man, you're missing out on great stuff.

Sony should try to reboot Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, and/or other IPs into some type of project. They don't have to be massive. The number of quality RPGs on PS4 is fine, but a little extra wouldn't hurt.

HeelPower

They have Ni No Kuni 2 & Persona 5.

They most likely wouldn't be able to make ones as good these two even if they tried really hard.

I'm going to just assume you mean turn-based or something like Zelda (a la Dark Cloud), because Bloodborne is a great AA JRPG and I think even Gravity Rush 2 qualifies as a Japanese AA action-RPG.

Nerix

Dammit Verendus. I was clinging to that goddamn Sony JRPG rumor. Never came to fruition. It's not like Sony cares. They have all or the JRPG on their systems and those AAA ones are a massive money/time sink.
Is this still a thing or proved fake already?

Sanctuary

[QUOTE="D";228110638]Even niche genres like Dark Souls/Bloodborne did well and they aren't "true" JRPGs.[/QUOTE]

Might be because they are Action WRPGs with a huge dose of horror is why. Also, is Square really "taking back the crown" after I guess a good release for a game that was in development hell for a long while?

I still believe in Sony Japan working on a big JRPG. They've got to be working on something big with TLG and GR2 out.

Of course, as stated, they don't have to given the third party support they have but yeah.

I think Sony has done a really good job of filling in holes with their first party output.

Given the proliferation of JRPGs on the system, I'd be surprised if they worked on one.

CCIE

Banned
Seriously, the only other competitor in this arena is going to be the Nintendo Switch. I will probably buy a lot of mine on the Switch, so I can play on the go. RPG's typically require hours in front of the projector in my theater...

Hours I just don't really have anymore. So here is hoping Switch sees a lot of them as well.

Hoo-doo

Banned
He's talking about a JRPG from Sony's studios.

Why would they when that niche is being filled to the point of near saturation?

When you have third parties making 12 different hotly anticipated and exclusive racing games this year, does it benefit Sony to allocate development teams towards making another? Hell no, they can work on other projects diversifying the library even more.

antibolo

Banned
JRPGs that don't have "Final Fantasy" in their title are a tiny niche outside of Japan, and Sony no longer gives a fuck about the Japanese market, so... not gonna happen.

Third parties are doing enough for Sony that they don't need to care about that genre themselves.

[QUOTE="D";228110872]True but that didn't stop them from dropping LOD back when JRPGs were in abundance. I know its a different climate financially and demand wise but I think even if they remade LOD or did a sequel, without risking bank on a brand new IP, it would do pretty good[/QUOTE]

JRPGs were in abundance when graphics wouldn't break the bank.

The reason we don't have JRPGs on consoles except for the absolute biggest ones is because even moderately good looking games are so expensive they price themselves out of the niche size of the JRPG audience. The only way to make up for that would be to make it open world or something and expand that audience.

Sanctuary

Why would they when that niche is being filled to the point of near saturation?

I guess I've just been living under a rock, but aside fro P5 and Ni No Kuni 2, where exactly is this near saturation coming from? Are you counting all of the games not released in the US, or those that are uncertain to be released in the US?

I guess I've just been living under a rock, but aside fro P5, where exactly is this near saturation coming from?

Do you really think p5 is the only jrpg this year? Google man.

Nier
Kingdom hearts
Tales
Persona 5
Ni No Kuni
I am Setuna
ff15 just released
Dragon Quest X1

To name a few.

I'm not. Their big budget productions seem to be geared at a larger western audience. The JRPG genre isn't what it used to be in the PSone days.

ubercheez

After the performance of White Knight Chronicles, I think they're content to let other developers handle JRPGs. They're almost all PlayStation exclusive anyway.

They really should, considering their platforms are the go to place for JRPGs.

They gave it a shot long ago with Legend of Dragoon. I think it's time they attempted another Final Fantasy beater.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm going to just assume you mean turn-based or something like Zelda (a la Dark Cloud), because Bloodborne is a great AA JRPG andI think even Gravity Rush 2 qualifies as a Japanese AA action-RPG.

I havent played it yet. But i could definitely see that if you are adding a few more RPG mechanics to the first game.

To the larger point. Sony has enough JRPGs that are essentially exclusive that they dont need to take the risk on a big first party JRPG

aadiboy

I think Japan Studios needs a major tentpole franchise in general. Something that they can consistently put out, sells a ton, and is well-loved.

Top Bottom