• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Image Epoch JRPG Conference - All info in OP, NISA to release IE titles in US/Europe

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ark, Remus and Mars Project... Looking forward to these. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Remus is JRPG conversion of a classic title according to AndriaSang.

Despera

Banned
So for what game is this concept art?

95Untitled.jpg

duckroll

duckroll said:
it says classic series. It might not be referring to a game series.

My bad. Mikage actually mentioned it was a project which reimagines old PC games or old RPGs in brand new hardware as a JRPG.

zoku88

7th Dragon spoilers
Could that image possibly be related to one of the last areas in 7th Dragon. That spacey place with "Lost Tokyo" as its BGM?

ULTROS!

Old PC/RPG games? Interesting... Although I have no idea what were the old (maybe popular) PC games in Japan (only the Ys series come into my mind but Falcom is handling it).

duckroll said:
You like browser games too? Cool!
If it's a turn based tactics game, I'm all over it. :D For example, weewar is a great browser based advance wars clone.

I also enjoy action/shooter JRPGs with solid combat systems.. so I'm interested in what they have to offer. I also like their marketing angle.. they know their audience and they are sticking to it.

Negator

B.K. said:
If you don't get your hopes too high, you won't be disappointed when none of them are.

So I might as well write off this whole conference along with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and every Tales game.

God damn, if it weren't for NIS, Atlus, XSEED, and GameFreak, I would quit fucking gaming altogether.

Negator said:
So I might as well write off this whole conference along with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and every Tales game.

God damn, if it weren't for NIS, Atlus, XSEED, and GameFreak, I would quit fucking gaming altogether.
Or you could, you know.. learn a bit of Japanese. It doesn't take much to figure out the combat system. If you are really interested in the plot and characters, though, you might be in trouble.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
You like browser games too? Cool!
Are you discriminating against browser games? Especially for an SRPG, or even a regular JRPG, there isn't anything that a properly equipped browser wouldn't be able to handle.

Jonnyram said:
Are you discriminating against browser games? Especially for an SRPG, or even a regular JRPG, there isn't anything that a properly equipped browser wouldn't be able to handle.
Low tech is one of the advantages of turn based tactics games. You don't need fancy graphics, just a solid game engine. That's why the bulk of tactics games are now on handhelds and low powered devices like the iPhone - it's cheap and just as effective.

Xelinis

Monolith Soft is the last stronghold of the JRPG genre and its evolution. Imageepoch puts out too many cliche-driven products while SE and Level-5 only know how to make their games look nice.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
Seems like it's microtransaction based. Trying to take a bite out of Dofus or something.

Yeah, the base client is free apparently. It's launching on PC first next year. Maybe we can give it a shot if it's easy to access outside of Japan.

duckroll said:
Yeah, the base client is free apparently. It's launching on PC first next year. Maybe we can give it a shot if it's easy to access outside of Japan.
Most online games are easy to access outside of Japan if you stick in some fake credentials.. psn and xbox live accounts, nicovideo, etc. Only the most isolationist of sites try to IP ban outside Japan.

I'll be giving it a try for sure.:D

Also, more JRPG on the front page. :D

Well, this is related to image epoch. Has anyone really dug into Luminous Arc 3? I haven't imported it but I've heard it was an improvement on 1 and 2.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
Well, this is related to image epoch. Has anyone really dug into Luminous Arc 3? I haven't imported it but I've heard it was an improvement on 1 and 2.

I dunno. I don't even remember any sort of discussion thread for the game honestly. When Atlus decided not to bring the game out in English, I think that basically killed all real interest in the game.

cvxfreak

I'm not going to comment much on the games that were announced themselves because they're honestly of zero interest to me, although I do think they look cool. But imageepoch seriously fails at properly handling a press event of this scale. :lol Here are a few of my musings on imageepoch's choices for this press conference:

1. They mailed out the invitations to all press members rather than send them by e-mail, so there was a bit of confusion at first regarding the event details. The paper invitations were nice and part of imageepoch's apparent attempt to make this press conference seem so upper class in the realm of videogame press conferences, but way more inconvenient.

2. They chose Nihonbashi as the venue for the event. Um, what? This is an area for banking, finance and upscale shopping. It just seems so out of place to host the event here instead of wiser choices like Akihabara, Shinjuku or Ebisu. I understand imageepoch was aiming for an upscale image, but they clearly tried too hard here.

3. imageepoch didn't include the name of the building the press conference was taking place in on their invite paper. All they listed was a map with a few vague references as to its location and an address, which is generally useless in Japan. (Not only that, but my iPhone couldn't find the right location, either). They listed the name of the 4th floor theater it was taking place in, but good luck trying to find the building it was actually in. I had to duck into a Starbucks and ask for directions. I noticed other people in the street lost holding their maps out and wandering aimlessly (gaming journalists and Nihonbashi generally do not go together like they do with Akihabara). Note that there are several buildings on the Nihonbashi street with the name "Mitsui" in it, adding much to the confusion. :lol

4. I honestly didn't think what they announced at the event warranted a press conference of this scale. None of these games have the likelihood of becoming cultural icons like Ni no Kuni or Inazuma Eleven, so I don't know why they hyped this up so much.

5. No free food or drinks. :(

I'm not tying to dig at imageepoch's games here or this new venture they're undertaking, but man, their PR department cracks me up. :lol

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
So much text to attempt to hide the real root of your discontent! :lol

I still dream of the mini cheeseburgers, blended fruit juice and hors d'œuvres at Microsoft's Kinect event last September. They even gave us the privilege of burning the calories by playing Kinect after the event! Perhaps if imageepoch hadn't blown the budget on location and mailed invitations... :lol

duckroll

What strikes me as particularly odd is the SCE Japan president being a major guest in the conference. Announcing two niche PSP RPGs for 2011, and a PS3 PSN release of an upcoming browser-driven SRPG isn't really my idea of huge support for Sony. Really seems... odd.

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
What strikes me as particularly odd is the SCE Japan president being a major guest in the conference. Announcing two niche PSP RPGs for 2011, and a PS3 PSN release of an upcoming browser-driven SRPG isn't really my idea of huge support for Sony. Really seems... odd.

If imageepoch turns into something really big, then Sony can say they were there from the beginning, so it was probably worth it. It's not like Kaz Hirai was the one who stepped in to show support like with the Peace Walker video last April. As we saw with Level 5, who imageepoch totally is emulating right down to Mikage's hair, you never know what could be the next huge thing. (As unlikely as it is with this case)

duckroll

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/323/323263/

――パブリッシャー事業に参入したことで、今後、海外向けのRPGを作っていく予定はありますか?

弊社はNIS America, Inc.(日本一ソフトウェアの米国子会社)とも提携していますので、弊社のタイトルをアメリカ、ヨーロッパで出すことはあると思います。アメリカで『ディスガイア』作品が15万~20万を売り上げていることから、海外のJRPG市場というのは、大きくはないけれど無視できない数字だと考えています。弊社の海外展開においては、まずはJRPGを販売して、JRPGを好むユーザー層をきちんと獲得しなければならないと思います。それさえ容易なことではありませんが、まずはそれをしなければ、海外ユーザーの望むRPGを作る段階ではないと考えています。

Dengeki asked Mikage about Imageepoch's plans for overseas releases for their titles after the conference. He flat out replies that Imageepoch has a contract with NIS America, and that NISA will be releasing their titles in the US and probably also Europe. So good news for everyone? Maybe?

duckroll said:
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/323/323263/

Dengeki asked Mikage about Imageepoch's plans for overseas releases for their titles after the conference. He flat out replies that Imageepoch has a contract with NIS America, and that NISA will be releasing their titles in the US and probably also Europe. So good news for everyone? Maybe?

Wow. Well I'll definitely be picking up Tale of the Last Promise when NISA releases it then. I wonder if they'll be putting out Criminal Girls too. Or if there still might be hope for Luminous Arc 3.

Was going to whine about overseas plans but it seems they got it covered somehow, although that upcoming Sega game localization doesn't inspire confidence after 7th dragon fiasco.

Press event overall not bad, expected worse in terms of online/social/browser games (I'm taking all those projects as not being those though). Nothing screams omg Imageepoch going to be next Level-5 but at least they should be fine with the licenses (BRS, Type-Moon).

Personally that 3-years Type-moon project gets me all hyped if there's Maaya Sakamoto's Ryougi Shiki in it! But not a fighting game please! :lol

ULTROS!

Not my favorite publisher but I'm glad someone is bringing them to the West. Looking forward to Final Promise Story and Chevalier Saga Tactics.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nirolak said:
Well, NISA is better than no one, so woo!

I don't think they are. I mean, yes, it's true that if the choice is between no localization at all or a NISA localization, roll out the red carpet. But in terms of signing a long-term contract for all of the titles, I'd think ImageEpoch would be better off pitching each title on an ad hoc basis to a variety of publishers.

Some people might say that after 7th Dragon, we should be thankful for the security of a long-term localization contract, but really 7th Dragon not coming over here is not an issue of not having a western publisher interested in it, and it's not an issue of ImageEpoch, it's an issue of SEGA and how having a JPN publisher with a US affiliate who passes on the game makes it harder to set up deals with outside publishers.

duckroll mentioned to me that there's a benefit in terms of the fact that this contract probably COMPELS NISA to release all of these IE games even if a few of them end up being huge duds, but while I see a business advantage to that (build a fanbase, establish a brand), I don't really see a consumer advantage to it. We'd get a better product if A-tier publishers snapped up the good stuff and smaller publishers fought for the scraps. I can't imagine any of the games would be so awful that no publisher would want them.

WRT NISA They're not known for good text localizations, they're not known for bug-free localizations, they're not particularly stable financially, they don't have particularly good distribution...

So to me, we'd get a better deal if they didn't sign with NISA.

Top Bottom