• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum (*That* UE5 Game) Delayed to August 22nd

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A month long delay from its original date.

The recent feedback to the game proves to us what we already felt: that Immortals of Aveum is something special. In order to realize our full vision, we are going to take a few extra weeks, making our new launch date Tuesday, August 22nd. This will give us time to further polish the game, finish optimizing all platforms, and deliver a strong launch. We owe it to ourselves and to you to get this right.

Last edited:
Hahaha from potential bomba to guranteed bomba with that date a week from starfield early access, the week of a Fromsoft game and the real big deal of the month, Baldurs Gate 3.

SJRB

Gold Member
Original date, July is their best shot. Its not like ea never released a rushed game this year.
Fun fact: They JUST updated Jedi: Survivor to fix the bounty hunter quest bug a large portion of players ran into (including me today).

We probably shouldn't, you know.. encourage publishers to release broken shit.

We probably shouldn't, you know.. encourage publishers to release broken shit.
Fair point. Sending this out to die at that date is also not ideal. Wonder why publishers dont just hold onto completed games until the lane is clear like the movie business.

T4keD0wN

Jedi survivor also got a ~1 month delay ~1 month before release also "to further polish the game" or so they have claimed at least, it was also published by EA and it also used Unreal.

I hope its a coincidence and not an emerging pattern. This is going to end up releasing about as broken as Jedi survivor, isnt it?

Last edited:
Then stick to your Sony shilling and spend 50 hours taking screenshots in Horizon like every pony.
YXgD9B2.jpg

Braag

Jedi survivor also got a ~1 month delay ~1 month before release also "to further polish the game" or so they have claimed at least, it was also published by EA and it also used Unreal.

I hope its a coincidence and not an emerging pattern. This is going to end up releasing about as broken as Jedi survivor, isnt it?

This is what I was thinking. Why not just delay it to december so it's not coming out at the same time as all these other giants or better yet january.
I think the game looks cool but I'll be way too busy with other games from august.

This will be the first true UE5 game. It supposedly will use lumen and nanite! So this will be one of the first true current gen 3rd party games in terms of tech. Another game is Layers of Fears but I think that only uses Lumen.

renzero

Neo Member
Ouch that’s going to be terrible timing to release. Way too many other games coming out around that time frame. It’s definitely going to get lost in the shuffle.

Del_X

This looks kinda fun. I miss big production FPS campaigns. I don't think I'll buy it new, but it looks like it'll be worth it when it hits Game Pass or a good holiday sale.

I’ve watched a few trailers and it looks average at best. Nothing at all special about it. Releasing the same week as BG3? Good fucking luck.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This will be the first true UE5 game. It supposedly will use lumen and nanite! So this will be one of the first true current gen 3rd party games in terms of tech. Another game is Layers of Fears but I think that only uses Lumen.
There are several current gen only games that are not possible on older machines, but yeah Nanite is the one feature lacking from UE5 games.

CamHostage

It's too bad (in a paperwork sense) that Tekken 8 didn't make it for like a summer release date, because then that would have been practically the same release pattern as UE4: an indie horror game is first (which also curiously has swap-on-turnaround effects like the UE4 game, only Daylight had procedurally-generated maps whereas Layers of Fear has set maps but they disappear/swap when you're not looking) and then the new Tekken is the first studio production.

There's the difference that FortNite actually launched as an in-house conversion, plus Matrix Awakens, also R-Type Dimensions 3 technically, and there's little indies which you can around play with UE5 (although not nearly as many as you'd expect given how many UE5 demos have been hacked out,) but it's close. People are pissed that devs are late on using the full feature set of UE5 in a game yet, but when you look at development history, it's probably right on time, as frustrating as that is. We saw UE5 too early and thought it was ready, but demos aren't games and the timeline just wasn't going to be kind to us.

sendit

The first true UE5 game looks like dog shit.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have a PS5 what's there to be hurt about? If I wanted to play it I could and would, sorry I couldn't play that boring shit more than 3 hours.

Doesn't Fortnite use them regularly?
Fortnite has Lumen lighting, but I don't about Nanite. It has a Lumen settings in the menu but nothing about Nanite.

TrebleShot

Hint…
It will be a broken mess at launch on PC

It will run on PS5 but drop to mid 30s on the perf mode and mid 20s on quality mode.

NinjaBoiX

Fair point. Sending this out to die at that date is also not ideal. Wonder why publishers dont just hold onto completed games until the lane is clear like the movie business.
Unlike almost every other entertainment medium, video games really do have a ticking clock in terms of relevance.

Technology moves on, graphics improve, fads fade. And that’s not even mentioning that they’d have to call the team back from another project for post game support. It’s unworkable.

It’s not as simple as just having it sat on the back burner until an opportune moment, like with a movie or TV show.

Calverz

Great. So this is probably running like shit then. I’m sure ea are writing the apology letter as we speak……

CSJ

More often than not, means the game is fucked.
You don't tidy up what's left in a month, you have it ready well before that.

They're about to fuck up years of all their hard work in 4 weeks.
Fucking idiots.

Puscifer

More often than not, means the game is fucked.
You don't tidy up what's left in a month, you have it ready well before that.

They're about to fuck up years of all their hard work in 4 weeks.
Fucking idiots.
I kinda hate saying this but you're probably right, suicide squad went from a month to a year to undo whatever. Crazy how they worked in the game for an entire console generation and still fucked it up

KillaJamm

I could be wrong but doesn't the most recent Layers of Fear use UE5?

CamHostage

I could be wrong but doesn't the most recent Layers of Fear use UE5?

It does, as does R-Type Final 3 Evolved.

Neither of those use the "full feature set" of UE5 though, which is a bit of an overstatement as to how an engine is "used", (no game uses every feature of a development suite, ) and there are many reasons to use a different engine/version even if you don't use its featured features, but...

For gamers following UE5, what matters to them is if a game shows off use of the two marquee features, Lumen and Nanite. These are the two features which were used to promise the biggest jump into tech future.

Layers used Lumen lighting, but not a Nanite geometry (too early when they started, and unnecessary for the game they were building anyway. ) RType uses neither.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Fortnite has Lumen lighting, but I don't about Nanite. It has a Lumen settings in the menu but nothing about Nanite.

You wouldn't "tune" settings for Nanite, I don't think. It's kind of the point that it regulates the geometry (although i personally haven't seen talk of using it to optimize per platform/device?)

Fortnite on high-spex devices does use Nanite. It uses it in some really interesting ways (given the seemingly simple graphics of the game, ) and it's also interesting how it still offers fallback methods to work cross platform even with the UGC advancements. (Crazy to see how some of those really complex and cool-looking Fortnite Create builds work on both Xbox Series and then Switch. )

The first true UE5 game looks like dog shit.

Yeah, well, back to the topic at hand...

We'll see in play how it works out, but the truth if course is that it's not the engine that makes the game.

People have been pounding their fists for three years over UE5, demanding, "We want Nanite, we want Lumen!", but applying it takes skill and time in the new tools, these kitbashed demos we see don't tell the complete story of where UE5 development is so far.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can someone who knows his shit explain to me how that possibly got greenlit? And by EA of all companies?

Spyxos

Gold Member
This game somehow looks incredibly generic. Although you use magic. And as far as I've seen, it didn't really go down well anywhere. The delay won't do the game any good either. I think you will be able to find it greatly reduced very quickly.

Top Bottom