• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, right. I'll be rocking GNR's Chinese Democracy and Dre's Detox before I can either pull up XMB mid-game or play the allegedly coming-out Home.

DoomGyver

So I bet 2.36 will come tonight or tomorrow, and 2.4 will come between now and e3?

I would guess the updates would be at least 2 weeks apart, otherwise they would combine them into one.

Mrbob

Why doesn't Sony just roll these 2.36 enhancements into 2.40?

What the hell. Get 2.40 out sony. I don't want to download 2.36.

Mrbob said:

Maybe people who are experiencing these stability issues don't want to wait?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mrbob said:

Didn't they just change it so you don't have to? I don't think the most recent FW updates prevent you from logging onto PSN anymore. So you could ignore 2.36 if I'm right, and just wait for 2.4

Mrbob said:

Maybe there's something firmware 2.36 does to better prepare for what 2.4 brings (such as bringing the memory the XMB uses down or something). I just think it's setting something up.

Mrbob

I'll download it, but I'm just a bit miffed as we are on the cusp of 2.4 and here we have the playstation blog talking about 2.36. Which means a couple more weeks for firmware 2.4.

While I'm disappointed that there's no specific date, hearing them confirm it all makes me feel all warm & fuzzy!

Can't wait for the complete changelog.

Mrbob

evilone said:
I would like some love to = (. Don't ask me about the new features because I want this to be a surprise.

You are making the wait more painful now! :D

Official GAF Madden league is on PS3 now, you can head into the online forum and let the news slip in that thread! We won't let it out!

Paznos

maybe this will finally stop GTA4 from locking up although it almost doesn't matter anymore. Kinda dumb they are announcing 2.36 and then say 2.40 will be coming soon.... probably during e3 as one of the big reveals.

Mrbob said:
You are making the wait more painful now! :D

Official GAF Madden league is on PS3 now, you can head into the online forum and let the news slip in that thread! We won't let it out!
O RLY? I may join in although I suck ass at Madden, seems like fun though.

Hopefully it fixes my Guitar Hero 3 PSN online check lag. It locks up after the hit any button to rock screen for 5 minutes to check if I'm online then disconnects me from PSN. Just started happening after last update... Also get random logouts on PSN so hopefully that gets fixed to.

iceatcs

Doc Evils said:
extended friends list and custom avatars?

believe

Nah, just time clock on XMB.

believe :p

[edit] maybe should change title '2.36 coming soon, 2.40 in-game XMB soon after'?

evilone said:
I would like some love to = (. Don't ask me about the new features because I want this to be a surprise.

mmm they have confirmed in game xmb and trophies. In game soundtracks are also supposed to be there....what else could there be? The only big thing left I can think of is Software Emulation BC or maybe a gamerscore or gamercard or something.

I'm looking to get back into Madden, so if you make good on the PS3 version of Madden and don't gimp it like the '08 version then you shall be loved by all.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
imo a E3 release would be pretty stupid, people are hyped for the FW but announcing it at E3? Not doing it for me, instead announce some new games ffs. :p

Doc Evils

AranhaHunter said:
mmm they have confirmed in game xmb and trophies. In game soundtracks are also supposed to be there....what else could there be? The only big thing left I can think of is Software Emulation BC or maybe a gamerscore or gamercard or something.

I'm looking to get back into Madden, so if you make good on the PS3 version of Madden and don't gimp it like the '08 version then you shall be loved by all.

Software BC will never come to 40gb units, due to PS2 insane fill rates. This was told to me by the firmware guy directly.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, right. I'll be rocking GNR's Chinese Democracy and Dre's Detox before I can either pull up XMB mid-game or play the allegedly coming-out Home.
Yeah, and at the rate Sony's going, I'll be rocking Duke Nukem Forever by the time Home comes out... smh...

Alcahest

In-game XMB is dumb; less memory for games on a machine that doesn't have plenty to start with is a dumb move.
Like Konami giving in on the MGS4 HDD installation, reducing it to multiple small installs when 1 single huge install would have been so much better...
Companies shouldn't do everything "fans" are asking, especially when those "fans" don't know sh*t.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Alcahest said:
In-game XMB is dumb; less memory for games on a machine that doesn't have plenty to start with is a dumb move.
Like Konami giving in on the MGS4 HDD installation, reducing it to multiple small installs when 1 single huge install would have been so much better...
Companies shouldn't do everything "fans" are asking, especially when those "fans" don't know sh*t.
I love the in-game blade on my Xbox 360, and I'd love to see the in-game XMB on my PS3, too. It's either that, or quit out to read my messages...

Roxas

Alcahest said:

lol wut

Alcahest said:
You must be one of those "fans" who doesn't know shit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Alcahest said:

Ahahahaah! :lol

Spy

After this firmware update Sony really needs to start working on the Playstation Network content. I'm tired of them releasing one PSX game every two months and one PSN game every two/three weeks.

Doc Evils said:
Software BC will never come to 40gb units, due to PS2 insane fill rates. This was told to me by the firmware guy directly.

Well he said he wanted it to be a surprise and we already know in game xmb and trophy, I doubt extended friend list or clock is something that would be a surprise that a lot of people will care about, so that leave us with the highly rumored, almost confirmed in game custom soundtrack.

EDIT: What do you mean by fill rates? I have no idea what that is.

Doc Evils

AranhaHunter said:
Well he said he wanted it to be a surprise and we already know in game xmb and trophy, I doubt extended friend list or clock is something that would be a surprise that a lot of people will care about, so that leave us with the highly rumored, almost confirmed in game custom soundtrack.

EDIT: What do you mean by fill rates? I have no idea what that is.

http://www.devmaster.net/wiki/Fill_rate

Doc Evils said:

Heh, yeah in light of 360 and PS3, the PS2's raw pixel pushing abilities is a still a little monster, the Graphic synthesizer is a blazing fast fillrate beast. 2.4 billion pixels/second finalized back in 1999!

If the PS3 had followed that approach in engineered performance it's specs would have been ungodly.....while it would make programming on the current PS3 Cell+RSX set-up look as easy as washing the dishes in comparison. :lol

Custom Soundtracks and an increased friend limit are pretty much confirmed. If there is a big surprise I think it will be recording videos and uploading them from the XMB.

tanod said:
2.36 is probably hitting tonight. 11PM EST

That's Sony's normal schedule.

I wonder what else it fix's besides "improving system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles" and what games that have this problem.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...ng-soon-v240-to-include-trophies-in-game-xmb/

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

A new PLAYSTATION 3 firmware update (v2.36) will be launching soon, improving system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles. We’re also happy to officially report that the 2.40 system software update for PS3 will include “XMB” access in-game. The update will also include “trophies,” an exciting new feature that we’ll be providing more details on soon, as well as some other new enhancements. We’ve talked about some of this on the blog previously and know that many of you can’t wait to get your hands on these features. You can expect us to share all of the official details shortly.

nice to have updates to fix things though :) I can't wait for 2.40 :)

evilone

EA Employee
Alcahest said:

Wait ...what!!!

Crisis

Banned
Alcahest said:

What in the fuck are you talking about?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Doc Evils said:

PCSX2 team seem to be doing alright so far, and that's without any official documentation

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Alcahest said:

i agree with in-game xmb. Why do we need the whole thing? Just give us settings and message access.

that's all we need anyway, right?

unless that's all it does have when they implement it.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
davepoobond said:
i agree with in-game xmb. Why do we need the whole thing? Just give us settings and message access.

that's all we need anyway, right?

unless that's all it does have when they implement it.
I thought they would show the whole XMB, but only certain stuff would be accessible.

Top Bottom