• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

Firewire

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
That's tempting, but I like being paid not to leak it. Can you offer more money?

Just print this out and you're all set!

1MillionDollarBill01.gif

Spill it!!!!!

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Justin Dailey said:
There are lots of rumblings in this thread of feature that may or may not emerge from this firmware. I'll list them from the ones I perceive to be most likely to least likely.

- In-game messaging
- Official trophy support
- In-game soundtracks
- In-game video messaging
- Universal record/upload to YouTube of games

I may have missed something too.

its_peanut_butter_jelly_time_from_f.gif

DuckRacer

Ashhong said:
OMFG LEAK IT!!!!!!

how does MS custom soundtrack work? do you actually have to set something? or is it as simple as bringing up the blades and pressing play? im thinking the in game XMB will be this simple
Dude, I'm just going off what others are saying and adding my own speculation. :lol Like this:
Jim said:
When/if some kind of "custom soundtrack" function become available, it will obviously have to be patched into earlier games for it to work as intended.
As intended = stopping for cutscenes and such.

slider

There's been a lot of Youtube wishing. Did the SDK update thread (was there a thread?) say it'd be an OS function that could be universally applied or was it a SDK (hint, hint) feature to be implemented on a per-game basis?

I'm pretty sure we should expect the latter. :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Justin Dailey said:
There are lots of rumblings in this thread

Speculation, I would say, rather than credible 'rumblings' :p

I agree with your ordering. In-game messaging and soundtracks seems very likely. Trophies are possible. Video recording or in-game video messaging seems very unlikely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
slider said:
There's been a lot of Youtube wishing. Did the SDK update thread (was there a thread?) say it'd be an OS function that could be universally applied or was it a SDK (hint, hint) feature to be implemented on a per-game basis?

It is 100% an optional thing.

It could later become universal, but I certainly wouldn't think that'd be in 2.4.

Ashhong

Duck said:
Dude, I'm just going off what others are saying and adding my own speculation. :lol Like this:

As intended = stopping for cutscenes and such.

oh you fail...lol =P i thought u were reading the technical sheet like chin

slider

gofreak said:
It is 100% an optional thing.

It could later become universal, but I certainly wouldn't think that'd be in 2.4.

Without wishing to sound like a know-it-all... my thoughts exactly - hence the "hint, hint" which I'm sure everyone will ignore!

jester

Neo Member
RuGalz said:
To most devs, this is pretty low priority stuff and there's also performance penalty (even if it's slight). I wouldn't hold your breath over it if I were you...

I completely understand that there is a performance penalty to implement upscaling. What I'm hoping is for some way provide the upscaling without any kind of penalty, done in the OS without any dev implementation.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
Video recording or in-game video messaging seems very unlikely.
Well, you know, if PlayTV is ever to be a successful product...

We know Cambridge are working on it so a by-product of implementing it for Play-TV could have sexy results?

matticus

Strider2K99 said:
Will they have faster music fast-forward speeds in FW 2.4?

Actually, now that I think about it, it will probably be a stealth update.

OMG, this pisses me off so much when listening to podcasts. It's basically all or once or nada.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jim said:
The only connection is me posting here, the old ga-forum.com url sorta working, and the "Post New Topic", "Post Reply" icons :lol

Evilore is your master, I'm just a lazy someone with a long standing, game-industry related hobby.

U DA MONEY HOMEY, U DA M-O-N-E-Y.
angry.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
WOW Where's that hype train gif when you need one. I think expectations are probably waaaaayyyy out of line especially with the youtube thing.

Youtube uploading capability is there now. It just has to be implemented by the developer. At this point, it's the same as custom soundtracks in-game.

tanod said:
WOW Where's that hype train gif when you need one. I think expectations are probably waaaaayyyy out of line especially with the youtube thing.

Youtube uploading capability is there now. It just has to be implemented by the developer. At this point, it's the same as custom soundtracks in-game.

Drink it, quickly! It will sustain you.

hype.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Awesomes, in game music i hope, will be able to listen to the MGS4 soundtrack during MGS4 will be awesomes!!!! :D

Anyways all sound awesome, wonder when its coming out though.........E3?

Mic support for Hotshots Golf as well please! even though its not a console thing.

matticus

Justin Dailey said:
That right there inspired an idea inside me (this might already exist somewhere that I just don't know about):

Every time you put in a BluRay, it would give you the option to rip a video thumbnail from the disc and store it on your hard drive. That way, you could go to a BluRay folder in your XMB and see all the movies you own, browse your movies using video thumbnails, and play them from the HDD (i.e. clicking on a movie would bring up a prompt that would say, "Please insert movie X.")

Could I just look at my movie shelf? Sure, but this would be much cooler. It would also promote that whole idea of turning on your PlayStation without knowing exactly what you're going to do.

Patent that, then sell it to Sony asap

Negaiido

dallow_bg said:
It already does.

I wouldn't be calling, sending messages all the time a chat function.
We need something like the xbox 360 has, but they have a advantage with MSN Live which Sony does NOT have :(

Jtrizzy

Justin Dailey said:
Honestly...the idea of being able to capture direct feed videos and upload them to YouTube blows away any firmware feature to date. If we could really do that (and if they let us layer in sound like we can in the PS EYE software), that would be un-fucking-believable!

Yep. If they do this it I'll really be impressed.

Negaiido

Btw I don't wanna spoil everyones attention but we all know that Sony can be quite dissapointing. I just hope that it won't the case this time with the features.

Top Bottom