• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Honor of the 15th Anniversary - The Making of Halo: How Combat Evolved from Blam!

Oozer3993

Fifteen years ago today (at least in North America), Halo: Combat Evolved was released alongside the brand new Xbox console, ushering in a whole new world for the video game industry. Since I am unhealthily obsessed with Halo (have you seen my desperate cry for help Oral History of the Halo 2 E3 2003 Demo?), I decided to attempt as exhaustive a "making of" article as I could. I wanted it to be done for the 15th anniversary. It got away from me
and some heretic stole the laptop I started it on
. So I only have part of it done right now (up to January 1st, 2000), but it is nearly 2,500 words and, according to Medium, an 11-minute read. I hope that makes up for it being incomplete. Without further ado, here's part 1 (of an indeterminate number of parts):

E5UJvi9.jpg

The Making of Halo: How Combat Evolved from Blam! Part 1

In 1997, Bungie was a company in full bloom. They were coming off the blockbuster success (at least for the Mac) of their first person shooter series Marathon. They’d just opened a second studio, in San Jose, California, to work on a third person anime-inspired action game called Oni. The main studio in Chicago was working on another new IP: a medieval real time strategy game named Myth: The Fallen Lords. And, tucked away in a back room, with a small team of just three people (Jason Jones, Robt McClees, and Marcus Lehto) was the beginnings of a project from studio co-founder Jason Jones.

A tone hadn’t yet been nailed down for the project, so the team churned through a multitude of ideas. A helicopter was tried at one point, as was a boat. Multiple kinds of tanks. A truckload of weapons including a machete. The halo had a chunk taken out of it at one point, revealing a frame that looked like train tracks. An earlier build than that didn’t even appear to be set on a halo. There was fauna on the structure, and the player could even ride some of it.

Executive Vice President Peter Tamte, who had just joined the company after a stint working under Steve Jobs at Apple, helped get a prime spot for the public reveal: the keynote address at Apple’s MacWorld New York event, a fitting venue for a company known for their Mac games. There was just one problem: the game didn’t really run on the Mac yet, and MacWorld was only two weeks away. In fact, the first time Jobs saw the game, it was still running on a PC. Bungie hadn’t yet gotten the game working on the Mac’s OpenGL framework.

EDIT: The second and final part is done!

The Making of Halo: How Combat Evolved from Blam! Part 2

In March, at the annual Game Developers Conference, Microsoft finally confirmed the worst kept secret in gaming: they were joining the console market with the Xbox. Bungie was among the developers who made it known that they were interested in the new machine. In an exclusive preview in the May issue of German magazine Gamestar, the idea was floated of porting Halo to the new console. It was yet another in the line of rumored ports, along with the rumored Playstation 2 and Dreamcast ones. Unbeknownst to Gamestar (presumably) and the general public, Bungie had already met with Microsoft in late January. Xbox team members Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus had gone on a tour of game publishers to pitch them on the Xbox and a couple Bungie guys had tagged along with their Take Two partners. Co-founders Jason Jones and Alex Seropian sensed an opportunity.

Bungie also used the occasion to reveal that the game would include cooperative multiplayer for the campaign. But the competitive multiplayer side was trickier. Jason Jones had approached Hardy Lebel and Michael Evans, who had just come over from the Oni team, and told them that multiplayer might have to be cut. They protested and offered to take it on, as Jones had hoped they would. While there were two people working full time on it, Bungie couldn’t actually promise that it would even make the game, at least the Xbox version. The studio as a whole was focused on getting the campaign working and up to their standards. Combined with the murkiness of the Xbox’s network capabilities at the time, this kept the competitive multiplayer in limbo.

Oozer3993

From a Mac exclusive to the debut game of Microsoft's first console, weird history.

That's one of the things I found out while researching this: it was never a Mac exclusive. It was meant to launch simultaneously on Mac and PC, and in fact actually started development on PC. Bungie had to quickly port it to Mac for the MacWorld reveal.

blamite

That's one of the things I found out while researching this: it was never a Mac exclusive. It was meant to launch simultaneously on Mac and PC, and in fact actually started development on PC. Bungie had to quickly port it to Mac for the MacWorld reveal.
Haven't even read the piece yet (I will tomorrow, I promise!) And I've already learned something new!

jaypah

I never knew this. I should click that link.

Madness

More than half my life spent playing Halo now. Seems like just yesterday I played CE and immediately went and got an Xbox, countless hundreds of hours, Halo 2 and XBL. From CE to Reach, was a great ride by Bungie.

SPCTRE

Can't wait to read and shower the OP with accolades.

Edit: Just finished it, amazing job OP. Can't wait for part 2.

I would buy this in book form!

Spiders

Can't believe it's been 15 years already.

I still remember the first time I got off that lifeboat and saw the Halo in the sky. One of my best gaming memories.

I must have played the PCM demo disc with the Silent Cartographer level a couple hundred times. Hard to believe it has been 15 years.

The game that convinced me to buy OG Xbox back in 2003. Lots of great memories with Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and hell, even Reach itself.

It just feels like yesterday

Oozer3993

Bump for the morning on the East coast. And, to make this a worthwhile post, a screenshot of the original design for the Elite:

M2G7jjt.jpg

Oozer3993

Another bump for the lunch on the East coast/morning on the West coast crowd.

A smattering of teases for what is in the article:

• The real first code name (turns out it wasn't Blam!)
  • Two different things that imperilled the MacWorld reveal.
  • The weird way its name got leaked.
  • The specs of the machines it ran on for MacWorld and its behind closed doors showing at E3 1999.

gre

Neo Member
Just chiming in here to say what a great writeup and history. I PDF'd it and sent it to my Kindle this morning and couldn't keep away. OP, great work and please keep writing this stuff in the future. I nostalgia'd hard during my read through.

Oozer3993

I was trying to get part 2 finished in time for the 15th anniversary of the European launch, which was Tuesday the 14th. I missed. But it's done now! And it's big. Over 4,500 words, a 20 minute read according to Medium. It's the final part and covers from January 2000 until the release of the game for the Xbox. Some snippets:

In March, at the annual Game Developers Conference, Microsoft finally confirmed the worst kept secret in gaming: they were joining the console market with the Xbox. Bungie was among the developers who made it known that they were interested in the new machine. In an exclusive preview in the May issue of German magazine Gamestar, the idea was floated of porting Halo to the new console. It was yet another in the line of rumored ports, along with the rumored Playstation 2 and Dreamcast ones. Unbeknownst to Gamestar (presumably) and the general public, Bungie had already met with Microsoft in late January. Xbox team members Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus had gone on a tour of game publishers to pitch them on the Xbox and a couple Bungie guys had tagged along with their Take Two partners. Co-founders Jason Jones and Alex Seropian sensed an opportunity.

Bungie also used the occasion to reveal that the game would include cooperative multiplayer for the campaign. But the competitive multiplayer side was trickier. Jason Jones had approached Hardy Lebel and Michael Evans, who had just come over from the Oni team, and told them that multiplayer might have to be cut. They protested and offered to take it on, as Jones had hoped they would. While there were two people working full time on it, Bungie couldn't actually promise that it would even make the game, at least the Xbox version. The studio as a whole was focused on getting the campaign working and up to their standards. Combined with the murkiness of the Xbox's network capabilities at the time, this kept the competitive multiplayer in limbo.

The Making of Halo: How Combat Evolved from Blam! Part 2

And if you missed part 1: The Making of Halo: How Combat Evolved from Blam! Part 1

Also included:

• Footage of a grunt from a 1999 build.
  • More on Microsoft buying Bungie.
  • How the acquisition affected the game.
  • Information on the switch to first person.
  • How precarious the multiplayer situation was.
  • A ton of videos, including a playthrough of the first couple levels from a build of the game from late August or early September 2001.
  • Details of the game's poor showing at E3 2001

Part 2 is so big, that I cut a couple of the less interesting notes at the end:

* From the E3 2001 FanFest footage of Silent Cartographer: there's an unmanned Wraith on the beach, no engine sounds for the Warthog, Jackal's shields hang around after they die, and the Plasma Rifle has an overcharge.

* As a casual speed runner, this line from a weekly update gets me: ”You can actually grenade hop in Halo, though I don't think you'll ever need to and I doubt you'll ever want to."

* Briefly seen in the FanFest footage of Silent Cartographer is a level select screen with two levels visible: ”Manufacturing Facility" and ”?????? Quarantine." I'm guessing those are the placeholder or work-in-progress names for two levels brought to E3, ”Halo" and ”Silent Cartographer," respectively.

hv3sJo8.jpg

Part I has also been spruced up a tad. A small gallery of concept art circa 1998 from Marcus Lehto has been added (above is some experimenting for a Forerunner tank... from 1998), and a couple additional notes are now at the end:

* In the Incite video, there is mention made the Covenant being playable in multiplayer, including trying to make them play differently from the humans.
* Designer Jaime Griesemer, who ran a Myth fan site before joining Bungie, managed to get Marty O'Donnell to reveal in an interview that Myth II was in production before Bungie had announced it. To keep him from blabbing, Marty offered to take Jaime on a tour of Bungie. He wasn't allowed in the room where Blam! was being worked on.
* The Halo theme was inspired by ”Yesterday" by the Beatles.
* Marcus Lehto apparently still has a couple old builds of Halo. He posted some stuff from them on Twitter, including a super jump and a gigantic rock worm.

Skeletron

Definitely saving this for later. I have some fond memories of the Halo pre-release community at b.org and Battleground:Halo surviving week to week on Matt Soell's updates and speculating about the Cortana letters. I remember the 2002 Bungie Fanfest with Jason Jones, Jaime Griesemer, Marty O'Donnell, and all these legendary developers hanging out in that little hotel conference room in Santa Monica, then going back to play some Halo at Deanero's house in Orange after the 2003 fanfest and having all the developers show up. They were simpler times.

Great details in the write-up.

As a Mac gamer, some wounds never heal.

I went to both the E3 in 1997 and 1999, where Halo was shown privately. At the 1997 E3 I found the Bungie booth way in the back 40, manned by one developer at a desk. He seemed excited to have someone come by and was telling me all about Marathon Infinity and its Forge level editor. E3 in 1999 by contrast was abuzz with the private Halo showing. Quite a change to even have non-Mac people know who Bungie was.

Then of course in 2000 their hype was off the charts, they got bought by MS, and what started out as a Mac showcase didn't even get a Mac port for two years, and the other Halo games were never even ported. Of course being bought by MS was great for Halo fans and Xbox owners (and Bungie's owners), but sadly we lost further creative Bungie games like Oni and Myth, as Bungie became a Halo factory.

From a Mac exclusive to the debut game of Microsoft's first console, weird history.

that is Odd ............. but than again bungie always have been an odd beast

was exspecting to see a youtube video in here but thanks OP i will read this later on :)

gre

Neo Member
Amazing job here OP. The amount of work you put into these is impressive. Loved part 1, just saw this pop up on my subscriptions and added part two to my Kindle. Will be devouring this tonight.

Top Bottom