• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Halo game is reportedly in development on Unreal Engine 5 at 343 Industries

Is this a part of the Infinite 10-year GaaS plan, or a separate standalone sequel? This is mostly parroting the same info we had a year ago, though.

clarky

Gold Member
For COD?ID Tech 7 as it's far newer than Q3's, looks great and performance is top notch plus they own it.

I dunno if that would scale well with Halo or what else they could use besides UE5 if they want good performance.
ID tech could work yeah, but like i said if it ain't broke why fix it?

Not sure about Halo, didn't they try UE before and abandoned it half way through infinite because it didn't feel like Halo?

MS need to decide what to do with this franchise either stick 3 or 4 studios on it like COD and go all in or let it die. 200 or so dev's just doesn't cut it any more for a game like Halo if you want everything there at launch and a steady stream of content after release.

Last edited:

Brigandier

I thought Infinite was very average, I can't believe after a 2 year? Delay it looked and played like an Xbox one game.

I hope for the IPs sake that a new game kicks ass and brings back the series former glory days on Xbox live aswell it would be nice to see people talk online about something other than cod.

clarky

Gold Member
Is this a part of the Infinite 10-year GaaS plan, or a separate standalone sequel? This is mostly parroting the same info we had a year ago, though.
There never was a 10 year plan, that was mention once by Chris what's-his-face i think way before launch and never mentioned again.

Pretty sure Bonnie Ross and co didn't even have a 6 month plan.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

ID tech could work yeah, but like i said if it ain't broke why fix it?

Not sure about Halo, didn't they try UE before and abandoned it half way through infinite because it didn't feel like Halo?

MS need to decide what to do with this franchise either stick 3 or 4 studios on it like COD and go all in or let it die. 200 or so dev's just doesn't cut it any more for a game like Halo if you want everything there at launch and a steady stream of content after release.
Because it would look dramatically better and still perform well.

Look what they been doing with a 1998 based engine and imagine them getting ahold of a newer version.

VAVA Mk2

Awesome. They're replacing the engine, the one thing that wasn't the issue.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky
No...the engine has been a major issue. Slipspace is a nightmare to develop for and is just the Blame engine with shit added. Having UE 5 will make it much easier to bring new, talented people with industry on board and develop quality stuff faster.

clarky

Gold Member
Because it would look dramatically better and still perform well.

Look what they been doing with a 1998 based engine and imagine them getting ahold of a newer version.
You know ID tech has been around even longer right? Not saying its not a better engine, just why would they risk swapping, COD is on a super tight schedule as is. Something goes wrong and they miss a year then that's a billion dollars down teh shitter. Or it was until Friday lol.

Z O N E

1. They should've stuck with Halo 5 multiplayer with pistol starts (just remove spartan charge and ground pound).
2. They should've brought all the maps from Halo 5 into Halo Infinite.
3. They should stop listening to the boomer Halo fans on the direction of the game. 35 year olds are NOT your target audience 343.

My question is...

How will Forge work if they move to Unreal? I think the one amazing thing about Halo is Forge and no other game can even bring that to the table.

clarky

Gold Member
1. They should've stuck with Halo 5 multiplayer with pistol starts (just remove spartan charge and ground pound).
So pretty much Halo infinite then. As much as i like Halo 5 MP that game didn't do very well either so i don't think copying that wholesale would be the way to go.

DaGwaphics

Awesome. They're replacing the engine, the one thing that wasn't the issue.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

Realistically, switching engines to UE5 or IDTech or whatever they went with, would likely be the best thing they could do. It is widely rumored that the issue with the graphics/performance of Halo Infinite (the game looks okay for a cross-gen title, but many other games have released that look better) was due to some of the oldest code that they were still working with. Switching engines entirely would at least ensure that all the old code, and the debt that comes with that, is gone and while it would be a familiar cast of characters the approach under the hood would be fresh.

Hopefully they are one of the groups that are good with UE5 if they go that way, mixed results with it so far (on console at least).

Last edited:

Pantz

I wonder if UE5 will be too stiff for Halo's physics. I definitely wouldn't want to play a UE4 Halo game.

343 could easily make a great Halo game. They have the look and feel of the game down already, they just need to nail the right overall gameplay direction.
If they did properly fired the troublemakers that were working there, there's a chance for a great game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Can we get a new gears game first ? Let halo cook for a decade. Especially with how bad UE5 is currently. At least the gears devs have a long history with unreal .

Halo and cyberpunk on unreal 5. Something tells me one studio gonna push the engine hard and another has to make it run nice on a series s.

Gojiira

343? Who the Fuck cares then….
Garbage dev using a engine most devs seem to be having issues with, great start…

Pimpbaa

Jesus Christ MS, get one of your other studios to make Halo. How many times will 343i have to fuck up? Switching to UE5 won’t sudden make them know how to make a great game. Unless they completely gutted and replace most of the staff responsible for their previous Halo games (I know they restructured but not to what extent). Only positive I can see is that it will help them make a better looking game than Halo Infinite at least.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Halo and cyberpunk on unreal 5. Something tells me one studio gonna push the engine hard and another has to make it run nice on a series s.
That be the coalition they have been working hard on UE5 for a while and has been helping undead labs with the technical side. They are maybe the best outside Epic using UE technically.

Juza

They literally own Id Tech 7, which is one of the best engines ever made in both fidelity and performance

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Source? (I've searched google, and found nothing but 500 million)

It would be cool to debunk this statement.

edit: fucking hell man, you've posted 2 posts down from there too lol

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure why they keep Halo at 343i at this point, it’s almost like they’re a child MS can’t get rid of even if they’d want to.
Xk8rcEN.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You know ID tech has been around even longer right? Not saying its not a better engine, just why would they risk swapping, COD is on a super tight schedule as is. Something goes wrong and they miss a year then that's a billion dollars down teh shitter. Or it was until Friday lol.
Risk swapping?
gross-no.gif

Oh boy

How so? He was there to get Halo out of the door, he did that. Mission complete. Got offered some tasty stress free dollars over at Netflix and took it as far as im aware. Maybe i read it wrong.
How so? He was there to get Halo out of the door, he did that. Mission complete. Got offered some tasty stress free dollars over at Netflix and took it as far as im aware. Maybe i read it wrong.
Leaving the top creative post at one of the biggest franchises in gaming to tackle any initiative at Netflix is a demotion, in my mind. I think the job was too arduous and he wanted out.

But the real elephant in the room: overseeing a top project at MS likely comes with copious amounts of managerial crossfire. His sudden exit makes me think the managerial post is complete hell

StereoVsn

The engine has been something that held halo back for sometime due to its difficulty and workflow. Moving to unreal engine will aid and allow people with experience in the engine to pop assets out quickly. That being said, I hate there’s another game on UE. But maybe this is the best for Halo.
I am skeptical this will help. Except for Epic all Unreal 5 games have had major performance issues.

Sorne

Here we go again.. I still don't believe this one bit. It's waaay too much work to switch engine completely and throw away everything they've built. And the new forge, almost like an entire game engine inside Halo. I cannot believe they'd simply build all from scratch again.

Also, insert obligatory "halo is ruined, halo needs to be removed from 343" post, while the game is actually thriving, with a world championship literally yesterday and season 5 coming out tomorrow looking better than ever, letting people now create PvE experiences in forge.

Never change, neogaf 🙌

clarky

Gold Member
Risk swapping?
gross-no.gif

Oh boy

What you think any one of Activisions main COD teams can switch to a new engine, learn it and still pump out a new COD game that will look and perform better than the engine they all know inside out? In under 3 years?

More importantly why would they? To impress a couple of nerds on a forum?

Give me a break.

Pejo

Who do you think will develop it? Bungie?
MS owns like 100 studios now. Throw it to one of the Activision FPS studios, give them a shot. I dunno. Throwing it back to 343i after their neverending fuckups and bastardization of the series seems just as bad of an idea.

clarky

Gold Member
Here we go again.. I still don't believe this one bit. It's waaay too much work to switch engine completely and throw away everything they've built. And the new forge, almost like an entire game engine inside Halo. I cannot believe they'd simply build all from scratch again.

Also, insert obligatory "halo is ruined, halo needs to be removed from 343" post, while the game is actually thriving, with a world championship literally yesterday and season 5 coming out tomorrow looking better than ever, letting people now create PvE experiences in forge.

Never change, neogaf 🙌

Its been reported on for a while. The rumored battle royal that's in the pipeline has already switched over(apparently). This is one i can believe.

Infinite was originally planned as a UE4 game until they scrapped it and went back to blam, sorry slipstream (lol).So alot of the ground work could already have been done.

Makes it a lot easier to work on as well with the revolving door of contractors seemingly at 343.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Leaving the top creative post at one of the biggest franchises in gaming to tackle any initiative at Netflix is a demotion, in my mind. I think the job was too arduous and he wanted out.

But the real elephant in the room: overseeing a top project at MS likely comes with copious amounts of managerial crossfire. His sudden exit makes me think the managerial post is complete hell

Thats alot of assumptions there.

Top Bottom