• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE 5 Powered New Halo Reportedly in Development at 343 Industries

Bernoulli

M2 slut
former Art Director at 343 Industries, Justin Dinges, was working on the next "unannounced" Halo release between April 2022 and March 2023. Before his work on this next Halo release, 'Dinges served as Game Director as well as Art Lead on Halo Infinite. He also worked on both Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians as an Environment Artist.

Interestingly enough, although these might not be connected, 343 Industries Senior Character Systems Designer Ian Slutz, has been building "player systems and assets in Unreal Engine 5".

Bernoulli

M2 slut
That’s one hell of a surname 🤣
It's real

GDZjBACWMAEHNzr

Good. Halo needs to get it's shine back. I liked infinites art style but it just was never impressive.

Also tonnes of issues with infinites multiplayer, the engine seems a real fucking shitshow to make changes on.

Sybrix

I love Halo and really hope this new version hits big, having UE will hopefully re-invigorate it.

Infinite has great gameplay and it looks ok, it's leaps and bounds ahead of Halo 4 and 5.

But the game engine is so clunky and the forge feature is great but the engine lets it down, the forge maps looks dog shit. The textures are so flat and bland.

Really hope UE injects Halo with the help it needs.

Bit sad as I liked the look of Halo Infinite a lot and its not like Unreal 5 powered FPS have blown Halo out of the gate graphically or for the smoothest and most of them aren't open world either
. Can't wait for the next Halo mind, given how good Infinite was., The game just needs more environmental variety

Del_X

Good to see more confirmation of this. The engine and tools were absolute dogshit. The fact that MCs hand and other assets "warble" from floating point problems when you stray from the center of the map is hilariously bad.

Roxkis_ii

With how UE 5 games have been releasing so far, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. (I feel similar about cyberpunk 2). Hopefully 343 can do something great with it.

Z O N E

I think the real question is what's going to happen with Forge and if it will be even possible to have Forge in UE. Unless they someone incoprprate Unreal Engine Editor into Forge, which would be absolutely amazing.

Very shocked to hear that the studio responsible for developing Halo games is making the next one, and is using the newest available technology that many other studios are also switching to for current & next-gen development. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I can also confirm without any insider info, that the 3D Mario team at Nintendo is deep in development on the next 3D Mario game using newer technology than what was used in the previous game.

Last edited:

Del_X

No, it's reality. It runs at 120fps on Series X and S, and whatever your PC can run it at.

Yes - I'm saying there's no reason UE5 can't handle higher framerates.

Unlikely to matter since I doubt the next Halo game is releasing it's SP component on current-gen.

FireFly

Yes - I'm saying there's no reason UE5 can't handle higher framerates.

Unlikely to matter since I doubt the next Halo game is releasing it's SP component on current-gen.
There is currently, due to the the renderer being heavily single thread bound. Hopefully this will be addressed in UE 5.4.

Last edited:

Phase

Keep it simple 343. Make good Halo gameplay first and add modes next.
The various modes are part of what made Halo popular. They need to simplify the gameplay and have many modes on launch. I bet they could literally make a Halo 3 style game with upped movement speed and it would be heralded as the return of Halo by the players.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The various modes are part of what made Halo popular. They need to simplify the gameplay and have many modes on launch. I bet they could literally make a Halo 3 style game with upped movement speed and it would be heralded as the return of Halo by the players.
Be that as it may, stretching themselves thin on modes that never materialized is one of Infinite's biggest failures. They need to build a solid core first. Hopefully not having to also build the engine helps them focus on the core experience that can carry over into gameplay modes they can actually deliver.

Phase

Be that as it may, stretching themselves thin on modes that never materialized is one of Infinite's biggest failures. They need to build a solid core first. Hopefully not having to also build the engine helps them focus on the core experience that can carry over into gameplay modes they can actually deliver.
A competent developer could do both. Anything less is a disappointment. The game modes are sitting right there.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I get really turned off when I see UE5. Not impressed with the Unreal engine much thee days. I think of stutters.

cireza

Another game built with Resource Wasting Engine 5. And they have Id Software in their ranks. What a joke.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I just don’t see a new Halo game winning folks over.

We all kept thinking they’d do BR and traditional MP with infinite, and we got a fourth of just traditional MP, no SP, and no co opat launch. To this day no co op, and no one talks about the campaign . The MP while better now is the sad story of the ship sailed. You wanted how much for the color blue!?

The next game would need to be developed starting with inclusion of what’s already in Infinite now as a baseline and adding onto it.

Let’s also get the elephant out of the room now: the series S will fuck this games potential up big time. Isn’t the S why they couldn’t get the co op to work for infinite?

If they do a BR mode now it’ll be welcome, but folks are also into extraction shooters heavily too.

I don’t see a new Halo able to appease and retain many folks no matter what road they go down on. Bungie was smart to let it go— they tapped out the possibilities worth exploring with the franchise.

Last edited:
I'm praying for this reality for the sake of Xbox players and Halo fans.

An UE5 powered epic about Space Marines would kick fucking ass, as long as everything else is designed properly of course.

Hopefully other AAA devs will follow like EA with Battlefield and others.

gothmog

Gold Member
I would expect them to prototype some content on a few engines before making a decision but it seems like they went with a relatively safe decision with UE.

Top Bottom