• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Norway, women now hold all 3 top positions in gov (Prime, foreign, finance min.)

Violet_0

Banned
I occasionally prepare and send a relief supply box over to Norway because, as a fellow European, I just can't sit back and watch these poor people starve because of their millions of dollars of debts. They're humans too, presumably

Irminsul

What is it with people in this thread decrying "eurocentric" viewpoints of "the media" celebrating things other countries have done before? Have you even read the OP? The source is a website focusing on domestic Norwegian news in English. What do you think they should report about? And the article even states multiple times that Norway isn't first in this, hell, the article even says Erna Solberg herself stated that they're not leading the pack here:

The US has already had three, and Solberg herself noted at a press conference Friday afternoon that in the Philippines, for example, women also have held top posts including the equivalents of prime-, finance and foreign ministers. So have women in Sweden, Switzerland and Liberia, and at the EU.

It even mentions countries outside "the West"!

And then there's the whole thing of the article's headline, "An historic day for Norway".

Truant

Norwegian is fun, it has perhaps one of the most varied sets of dialects in the world. Especially compared to how tiny the country is.

Too bad they’re a bunch of racists and neoliberal capitalists. This is a tired superficial take on feminism aka the “hire more women prison guards/drone operators” meme

We should have this neoliberal capitalism in every country, if it leads to norway standards of living.

danthefan

Have you ever heard of the Norwegian Oil Fund? It's the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, worth a nice $1 trillion or roughly $200,000 per citizen (yes, including children).

This thread has some really baffling posts, but that one takes the crown.

Aside from that, the premise that national debt is unhealthy is just stupid in the first place. It can be obviously but it isn't inherently.

Irminsul

Norwegian is fun, it has perhaps one of the most varied sets of dialects in the world. Especially compared to how tiny the country is.
Yes, but that makes it less fun to learn ;) Or at least, it makes understanding spoken Norwegian a lot harder. Although in my case, that might be just due to the fact that I live far from Norway and basically never use any but my reading skills. I can read Jo Nesbø well enough, but listening and especially writing and talking are much harder.

Adding to this, it's not just the dialects, it's that there isn't a standardised version of the language, neither written nor spoken. Everyone will just talk in "their" dialect, and while the usual written differences are far smaller than the spoken ones (except if you "willingly" write in dialect), they do exist. And lets not even start with Nynorsk and the fact that Norwegians actually speak two different languages, depending on where they live.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So it isn't noteworthy when someone finally comes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc?

"Big deal"

Okay, so nobody comes after Bangladesh? That is how you want it?

LOL, they're responding to a poster saying a grandiose statement like 'leading the rest of the world', so what the heck are you getting upset about.

Great to see countries being progressive.
Nice to see not the entire world sliding down into a fundamentalistic backwards shit-hole.

Having said that, there is little i can say about these women. I don't know them. So congrats to them and i hope they make Norway proud of them.

Gorger

Norway is a pretty big country with a very small population. But we have a lot of harsh nature and large mountains, so many towns and villages have historically lived mostly separated/secluded from each other throughout the centuries creating all these unique and varied dialects all over the country. Our standard language is bokmål which is basically the bastard language of Denmark thanks to Norway being a part of Denmark in a real union for like 500 years.

Funnily enough today it is very difficult for most Norwegians to understand Danish people speaking vocally, even when our written language is almost identical. It is something in their speech pattern that makes their pronunciation very unclear and muddy for us... we jokingly like to say that they have something stuck down their throat when they speak. Sweden on the other hand which is a bit harder to understand on paper is very easy to understand in a conversation.

Irminsul

Funnily enough today it is very difficult for most Norwegians to understand Danish people speaking vocally, even when our written language is almost identical. It is something in their speech pattern that makes their pronunciation very unclear and muddy for us... we jokingly like to say that they have something stuck down their throat when they speak. Sweden on the other hand which is a bit harder to understand on paper is very easy to understand in a conversation.
Well, now you're basically forcing me to post that video about the Danish language.

But on a more serious note, I found it quite fascinating when I, as a native German speaker who learnt Norwegian at university just for fun, was on camping holidays through Scandinavia and heard the following conversation at a campground in Sweden:

"Svensk eller English?"
"Vi æ Dansk, derfor forstår vi svensk."
"Det ska vi se!"

And I understood everything. That was quite nice. And funny, regarding the conversation.

Norway is great. A land where police officers don't carry guns, where the justice system works in the best interest of society, where health care is universal, and higher education is free. And, of course, it is a bastion of equality and tolerance.

The only thing I don't like about Norway is Oslo. For a symbol of one of the world's richest countries, its inner city is pretty poorly kept. Living costs are outrageous, and it lacks the charm of, say, Gothenburg.

If you can get used to the weather and the darkness of winter, Scandinavia is a pretty great place to live. Especially if you plan to start a family.

Ikon

Fresh Brunost (Brown cheese) on warm toasted bread with a glass of cold milk must be almost impossible not to like, Norwegian or not :D
This thread has been one of the strangest ones already, but nothing is as baffling or factually incorrect as this.

Brunost is death.

For anyone contemplating a move to Norway let me just say that the cuisine pretty horrible, especially if you aren't fond of fish.

I don't think I've ever seen nature that stunning anywhere else though.

Norway is great. A land where police officers don't carry guns, where the justice system works in the best interest of society, where health care is universal, and higher education is free. And, of course, it is a bastion of equality and tolerance.

The only thing I don't like about Norway is Oslo. For a symbol of one of the world's richest countries, its inner city is pretty poorly kept. Living costs are outrageous, and it lacks the charm of, say, Gothenburg.

If you can get used to the weather and the darkness of winter, Scandinavia is a pretty great place to live. Especially if you plan to start a family.

I'm pretty torn about how Oslo "looks" to be honest. It does look like a Russian backwater, but living here is pretty great and i like to think it means they're spending money on people, not buildings. We could put Dubai to shame if we wanted to, but at what cost?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has been one of the strangest ones already, but nothing is as baffling or factually incorrect as this.

Brunost is death.

For anyone contemplating a move to Norway let me just say that the cuisine pretty horrible, especially if you aren't fond of fish.

I don't think I've ever seen nature that stunning anywhere else though.

Brunost is the worst. Nightmare inducing shit.

Nature is great, but funnily enough Norwegian politics are generally very anti nature. Our treatment of wild animals, and carnivores in particular is absolutely shameful, and sometimes it seems that allowing any place to just be left alone by human hands is some sort of a travesty.

It's bizarre how terrified many people in this country is of nature being, you know, nature. People go on and on about how horrible it is when landscapes are being overgrown with plants in the absences of someone or something to keep things down. We need to have farms and sheep everywhere at all times or things aren't tidy and clean enough. It's laughable.

Brunost is the worst. Nightmare inducing shit.

Nature is great, but funnily enough Norwegian politics are generally very anti nature. Our treatment of wild animals, and carnivores in particular is absolutely shameful, and sometimes it seems that allowing any place to just be left alone by human hands is some sort of a travesty.

It's bizarre how terrified many people in this country is of nature being, you know, nature. People go on and on about how horrible it is when landscapes are being overgrown with plants in the absences of someone or something to keep things down. We need to have farms and sheep everywhere at all times or things aren't tidy and clean enough. It's laughable.

I'll never not blame the disproportionately influential Farmers Party (Senterpartiet) for so much of this. The Norwegian left will always be trash as long as they're shackled to this fossil of a party.

Gorger

Brunost is death.

Brunost is life. Brunost is delicious. I am as picky as they come when it comes to food, but have never understood peoples reluctance and distaste for Brunost -- It's so good :D

There is a lot of fish in Norway, not surprisingly with our big coast and being a traditional fishing nation, but I am not fond of fish either, it's actually one of my least favorite types of food. I get by fine here without eating fish, and it's not like we have a lot of alternatives. Is it one thing we eat a lot of here it's potatoes.. we use potatoes in almost all our cuisines.

Gorger

Well, now you're basically forcing me to post that video about the Danish language.

But on a more serious note, I found it quite fascinating when I, as a native German speaker who learnt Norwegian at university just for fun, was on camping holidays through Scandinavia and heard the following conversation at a campground in Sweden:

"Svensk eller English?"
"Vi æ Dansk, derfor forstår vi svensk."
"Det ska vi se!"

And I understood everything. That was quite nice. And funny, regarding the conversation.

This sketch is a national treasure, probably the most famous one produced in Norway.
__

The same goes for me when watching German movies or TV-shows. Not that weird when you think about it, our linguistics shares a lot of the same origins. It's really fascinating, indeed.

The first time I visited Oslo I was really surprised at how it looked. Looked more like a gritty run down copenhagen than down-town Stockholm. Saw my first heroin syringe on the ground outside the train station too.

Top Bottom