• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In What Order should I do the Mass Effect 3 DLC?

BasilZero

I've bought all the storyline DLCs for Mass Effect 3.

Leviathan

Omega

Citadel

Got From Ashes DLC when I bought the N7 digital deluxe edition?

What order should I play these?

(Note - this is my first playthrough of ME3 and it will be on PC if that means anything).

jdstorm

Banned
From memory Levithan is set earliest and you can play it as a prequel.

From ashes includes a party member so you want to do that early.

Omega. Whenever you want.

Citadel- is pure character fanservice and acts as an ending for each character in a lot of ways so play it just before the point of no return

BasilZero

From memory Levithan is set earliest and you can play it as a prequel.

From ashes includes a party member so you want to do that early.

Omega. Whenever you want.

Citadel- is pure character fanservice and acts as an ending for each character in a lot of ways so play it just before the point of no return

I dont mind spoilers but will the game let me know when I'll be at a point of no return or what?

Thanks for the response too!

Phamit

I would suggest

From Ashes

Leviathan

Omega

Finish the game

Citadel

Citadel is set before the Ending, but it is definitely more of good bye for the fans and a reason to look back and to do some cool stuff with Crew members from the previous fames

Zaheer

I'm currently doing a second playthrough with all the DLC.

From what I've heard:

From Ashes - As soon as it's available

Omega - After the
coup on the Citadel

Leviathan - After completing
Priority: Thessia

Citadel - After completing
Priority: Rannoch
so that
Tali
will be available.

Hmm. From Ashes is a default mission near the start a few hours in. Do that so you have Javik.

I haven't touched Leviathan yet on this playthrough but I just turned off the One midway through Citadel and it holds up.

Never bought Omega because I heard it was kinda disposable. Anyone have hard thoughts to change my mind?

jdstorm

Banned
I dont mind spoilers but will the game let me know when I'll be at a point of no return or what?

All Bioware games have a very obvious point of no return. The game will be really obvious about it. Even asking you if you are sure you are ready for the mission

Ailike

I would actually say to do Citadel after finishing the game. It makes for a much more potent sendoff and goodbye for any characters you've grown attached to than the actual ending.

From Ashes, do early.

I think the game makes it very obvious that once you go into the last mission, there's no going out. I don't think it specifies that it's called Citadel, so make sure you know what mission it is because Citadel is pretty damn meaty.

Patryn

I'm almost positive the game warns you, but
the Cerberus base right after Sanctuary
is the point of no return for ME3.

From Ashes as soon as possible for the party member.

Citadel should be the last thing you do before the end of the game.

The rest don't really matter too much

You absolutely NEED to get Javik asap if you care about his
Prothean
perspective on things. Go to Eden Prime the second you get the chance.

I'd probably do Leviathan earlier rather than later, but I don't think it matters all that much.

Hold off on Citadel until you've done I'd say Horizon (since that's one of the later missions). Really, just make sure you've met all your old squadmates before starting it. I'd say just wait until right before the point of no return.

Omega is whenever. It doesn't really matter.

The game makes it clear when you are about to go past the point of no return. It outright tells you to do anything else you want to do before starting that particular mission.

I would actually say to do Citadel after finishing the game. It makes for a much more potent sendoff and goodbye for any characters you've grown attached to than the actual ending.

you can't do that. Unless you mean beat the game and start another playthrough just for the Citadel DLC, which I also wouldn't recommend.

I'm supporting the notion to play "Citadel" after the ending. Even though it takes place beforehand, it's totally written and set-up as the last farewell to the characters and trilogy.

you can't do that. Unless you mean beat the game and start another playthrough just for the Citadel DLC, which I also wouldn't recommend.
You can, actually. After the ending, the game put right before the point of no return, free to roam around.

I'm supporting the notion to play "Citadel" after the ending. Even though it takes place beforehand, it's totally written and set-up as the last farewell to the characters and trilogy.

This is how I did it. I made a save at a few strategic points, finished the game, and then loaded up my old saves to play Citadel based on when I had the most squadmates.

The story feels right to be experienced after the ending, even if it's chronologically prior to the ending of ME3.

From what I've heard:

Omega - After the
coup on the Citadel

so that
Tali
will be available.

THIS is the correct order. Listen to this man.

I think the concept for Javik was fine. He's not some mythical beast come to life. He was just a soldier. A guy. He didn't know anything more than the basic propaganda that the past was glorious at the point he lived.

He was just there to serve a purpose of illustrating loss and "humanize" the cost of losing the war.

Dryk

I'm currently playing ME3 and this is the order that I've done the DLC in so far:

From Ashes: As soon as it unlocks
Leviathan: Started as soon as it unlocked but sort of casually sprinkled the missions in between other things I was doing until I finished them
Omega: Waited until a while into the game because it locks you in for several self-contained hours

Citadel: Just unlocked it, I'll probably do it closer to the end of the game when I have everyone

Nonsene. Javik was amazing as was the twist on the Protheans being some enlightened race. Which is why the interactions between him and Liara are so great.
This. One of his main roles is to demystify the Protheans.

For the Leviathan, I'd say start it early in the game, then the second part after the Asari Monastery, and the final mission before the Sanctuary mssion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zaheer is on point.

From Ashes - As soon as you can (once the story opens up, around when you leave Mars)
As this mission is short and alone inconsequential as to who you have in your squad (except for Liara, who is a must), the key here is obtaining Javik early so you can use him in missions going forward as you please (his banter and insight is among the best of the squadmates), but more importantly keeps him active for the entire game on the Normandy so you can engage in all his dialogue and learn more about the Prothean Empire.

Omega - After Priority: Citadel (I think it's called, the major event)
This will allow you to engage in all dialogue and early Citadel quests with Aria, leading into her Omega ark. It's a total diversion quest but at least it fits in sensibly enough at this point in the narrative timeline.

Leviathan - After Priority: Thessia
Good entry point for the mission here. A nice "we need to know more" and balanced with the struggle.

Citadel - Post Game, or after Priority: Rannoch
Mass Effect 3 has no post game, so if you're absolutely intent on playing all the DLC in one arc then post Priority: Rannoch would be a great pick. You'll have the full crew, it's a nice final with them, and you can move on to the last arc of the game afterwards. That being said it's abundantly clear Citadel was written as very much a send off to the series. There's an abundance of call-backs, jokes, and thematic relevance to the Shepard you've crafted over three games and has a somewhat somber ending. Even though it canonically cannot take place after Mass Effect 3, it to me feels like the last thing players should experience as part of the Mass Effect Shepard Trilogy adventure.

BasilZero

Thanks for all the responses!

Zaheer is on point.

From Ashes - As soon as you can (once the story opens up, around when you leave Mars)

Hmm I have the DLC installed as it says on Origin but I've gotten past Mars (unless this is a 2nd visit to Mars you mean).

Made it to the Citadel and talked with the Council and all - currently on Normandy - First Visit , is this where I get the DLC mission or what?

Hmm I have the DLC installed as it says on Origin but I've gotten past Mars (unless this is a 2nd visit to Mars you mean).

Made it to the Citadel and talked with the Council and all - currently on Normandy - First Visit , is this where I get the DLC mission or what?
I think you get a message from Hackett when you're on the Normandy

Read an email from Hackett and your journal should add the Eden Prime mission.

From what I've heard:

Omega - After the
coup on the Citadel

so that
Tali
will be available.
Yep, this is what I did on my recent playthrough and it was perfect.

I've just finished my first play through of the game with no DLC.

Can I purchased the DLC and play it all at the point of no return?

With Andromeda out soon, I'd prefer to avoid a other play through.

chemicals

from ashes, leviathan, omega.... then -

Citadel (after you finish game)

just don't get your hopes up. None of the DLC could make this game acceptable.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Since it's on PC you can mod your game to change the ending to a happy one and do the Citadel DLC as an epilogue.

Basically you combine this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/265/?

with this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/2/?

They're compatible and easy to install. The Citadel Epilogue mod will remove all references to the reaper war and makes it seem like it takes place after they have been defeated.

But since it's your first playthrough, if you want to experience the ME3 ending proper in all its...glory...you can.

Random17

I just finished the game with the DLC in order.

Ashes early.

Omega after priority citadel 2.

Citadel after Horizon

Leviathan last before the point of no return

Don't do Leviathan early, makes no sense before the Asari high councilor mission and the mood set is post that mission anyway

People incorrectly suggesting to do Citadel after
Rannoch
instead of after
Horizon
. You'll completely miss out on having Miranda and her cutscenes.

Always do Citadel just before
Priority: Cerberus HQ

Wish I had come across this. I did From Ashes right after the Priority Dreadnought and regret not unlocking Javik earlier. He's awesome.

Top Bottom