• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Indiana Jones 5' writer David Koepp says George Lucas is not involved with the story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via Collider

Collider said:
Koepp said he’s hard at work on writing the script for Indiana Jones 5, but one big question that loomed over the film was whether Lucas would be involved. The way the franchise worked in that past was that Lucas would come up with the idea for the movie and Spielberg would execute it. When Indy 5 was announced, Lucas’ name was nowhere to be found. Spielberg subsequently said Lucas would serve as an executive producer on the film, but in speaking with Koepp, the screenwriter revealed that Lucas is not involved in the story of Indiana Jones 5:

David Koepp said:
“He’s not, to my knowledge. I’ve had no contact with him.”

He went on to talk about some of the lessons he took away from fan reactions to Crystal Skull, and highlighted the importance of finding the right McGuffin. They're hopeful to begin filming next October, though it sounds like it's hardly a locked thing.

Xion385

This is great news.

This is terrible news.

n5UL7.gif

btrboyev

Crystal skull gets too much hate. I didn't find anything wrong with the story. Spielberg skimped out on shooting in real locations which I think hurt the movie way more.

Let Lucas in, He can't sink the plot lower than the last one, I mean how much shittier can he do? What if he strikes gold with this one?

-griffy-

Banned
Koepp's a joker:
“I’m deeply immersed as we speak. All I can say is that there’s lots of aliens and Indy dies at the end (laughs). Lots of hiding in lead-lined refrigerators, aliens, and he dies. Should go over very well.”

Crystal skull gets too much hate. I didn't find anything wrong with the story. Spielberg skimped out on shooting in real locations which I think hurt the movie way more.

The story was fine enough, but all the stunts and gags were far too over the top - and yeah, the very obvious use of CG/sets throughout just felt wrong. Crystal Skull is like a Indiana Jones cartoon world spinoff turned into a real, live action canonical film.. it's got some damn cool moments, yet it's padded with cringe worthy highlights throughout.

Don't get me wrong, the other Indiana Jones movies have ridiculous moments and set pieces, but they were all much more thought out, and adhered to a sense of reality much more efficiently. Also, they were often happy accidents of the heroes with a clever payoff, and not deliberate actions that make no sense in a real world.

Sapiens

I'm not kidding when I say this but grown men reacting to how the fridge raped their childhoods raped my childhood.

120v

after 20 years of hemming and hawing over the indy 4 script i figured, yeah, no way lucas would be involved if this one will have harrison

-griffy-

Banned
No it doesn't. They are both examples of absurd reach of logic involving animals in a sticky situation.

Each scene's relative absurdity is different though. Scaring a bunch of seagulls on a beach to make them take flight makes sense. Needing to see a bunch of convenient CGI monkeys swinging on CGI vines in a CGI forest to get the idea to swing on vines is an entirely contrived solution to a problem that didn't even need a solution in the first place. Dude could have just started swinging on his own without needing to hang with a bunch of monkey bros.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No it doesn't. They are both examples of absurd reach of logic involving animals in a sticky situation.

Yes it does, the birds did nothing but act bird like. They didnt befriend Connrey, they didnt do anything out of the ordinary. They were just scared birds who flew up into the air. Conrey didnt learn some random new skill instantly, like how to swing from vines like a pro at the same speed (actually faster than..) a speeding jeep. all he did was scare birds, anyone in the world can do that.

Was the fact they brought down a plane a leap of logic? Sure, we know birds CAN bring down planes, but that was fantastical in its way of doing it, but it sitll at least made 1+1=2 logical sense and didnt have the birds giving a wink and a nod to Connrey like they were there as his spirits animals.

liquidtmd

Banned
He went on to talk about some of the lessons he took away from fan reactions to Crystal Skull, and highlighted the importance of finding the right McGuffin.

1) I hate the term Mcguffin, heritage and usefulness of the concept be damned. I don't know why.

2) Irrespective of the quality of the film at hand, the lessons you should always take from fan reactions is that you should never listen to fan reactions. You will go insane. The tail should not wag the dog.

Sanjuro

Except that moment is there for a very specific reason relevant to Indiana's dads character. Mutt is swinging on vines because fuck if I know.

You are missing the key point. It's Sean Connery. He is able to do this action and sell it with some charismatic dialog. The guy made a career on this goofy shit!

For the other example, you have Shia...

1) I hate the term Mcguffin, heritage and usefulness of the concept be damned. I don't know why.

2) Irrespective of the quality of the film at hand, the lessons you should always take from fan reactions is that you should never listen to fan reactions. You will go insane. The tail should not wag the dog.

In this case, I think pegging it on fan reactions is a kinder, more professional way of acknowledging the film had some dumb as shit moments that were not satisfying.

Sanjuro

Yes it does, the birds did nothing but act bird like. They didnt befriend Conrey, they didnt do anything out of the ordinary. They were just scared birds who flew up into the air. Conrey didnt learn some random new skill instantly, like how to swing from vines like a pro at the same speed (actually faster than..) a speeding jeep. all he did was scare birds, anyone in the world can do that.

Was the fact they brought down a plane a leap of logic? Sure, we know birds CAN bring down planes, but that was fantastical in its way of doing it, but it sitll at least made 1+1=2 logical sense and didnt have the birds giving a wink and a nod to Conrey like they were their as his spirits animals.

I agree with you on the scene being broken from almost every aspect. The Connery scene is not, but it doesn't make it less absurd. It's just handed seamlessly. Crystals Skull's biggest issue is being able to ground itself while going through the endless callbacks.

I'm a Temple of Doom guy anyway, so I'm in the minority to begin with in regards to the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom