• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Indiana Jones 5' writer David Koepp says George Lucas is not involved with the story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

This is fantastic news. Only problem is.. Spielberg directed Indy 4 and it turns out to be pretty bad. He's gotta prove he can still direct well in the context of making an adventure film. There were some great scenes in Indy 4, sure, but the bad really outweighed the good.

Scaring birds to disable a fighter plane.

That scene was awesome.. not even close to being comparable in any way. Real set, a feasible idea compared to swinging around with monkeys and doing the splits/swordfighting on top of two vehicles.

What's hard to believe in the Connery scene..? That hundreds of birds couldn't fly through the air and into a plane flying in the same area? Not getting the hate. One of my favorite scenes that involves Connery. Then he just walks away with his umbrella out like no big deal.

And as much as I like Temple of Doom, you'd be a fool to think the airplane and blow up floaty scene in the beginning of the film isn't at least as bad as anything we saw in the entirety of Indy 4.

Just watched Temple the other night and as much as I love it, that scene (and a lot of the opening in general) is pretty garbage in all honesty. Surprised me.

This is fantastic news. Only problem is.. Spielberg directed Indy 4 and it turns out to be pretty bad. He's gotta prove he can still direct well in the context of making an adventure film. There were some great scenes in Indy 4, sure, but the bad really outweighed the good.

Wasn't Lucas breathing down his neck throughout Indy 4? Spielberg later directed The Adventures of Tintin and it was awesome.

Surfinn

Wasn't Lucas breathing down his neck throughout Indy 4? Spielberg later directed The Adventures of Tintin and it was awesome.

Maybe he was. Either way, Spielberg gave us a load of shit as the director of Indy 4 (even given there were a couple of really fun scenes). At some point you have to take some responsibility. Considering the amount of ridiculous CGI, I've got a feeling he wasn't totally opposed to the ideas presented to him.

Spielberg either didn't know what he wanted, or relinquished control for whatever reason. If you watch him in the promo footage talking about production, he basically shrugs and goes "well, ok."

jelly

Indy 4 only got made because Spielberg and Ford were fed up waiting to a point of it never happening and didn't force the usual, no George that's stupid, let's do this instead. Lucas wouldn't budge on the story, think Spielberg always wanted to do Atlantis and wasn't interested in another Alien film. There is good old Spielberg and classic Indy in that film but completely loses it most of the time. They just let Lucas away with it for the sake of it being made and it didn't work out too well, made money though.

Can you imagine Connery being wasted on Hurt's character or would he have been Marion's replacement? Think they always needed Mutt for more lively action, crap as it may have been.

My interest in the franchise moving forward is basically gone regardless of who is handling the story. Even if I wiped out the Crystal Skull from my memory, Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford in his prime. Without him, using the name is just meaningless and for me, just adds baggage. Even if the movie is decent, I'd imagine it would be better off without the Indiana Jones name on it.

kevin1025

Banned
As someone who loved the first three, and you know what, liked the fourth just fine, flaws and all...

I don't want a fifth movie. I'll go and watch it, hell yes I will. But without Lucas involved, with the potential story problems and demanding nature that he has had in the past, it's not the same. The franchise was a collaboration.

But Spielberg's directing, and I'll go for that reason alone.

I agree with you on the scene being broken from almost every aspect. The Connery scene is not, but it doesn't make it less absurd. It's just handed seamlessly. Crystals Skull's biggest issue is being able to ground itself while going through the endless callbacks.

I'm a Temple of Doom guy anyway, so I'm in the minority to begin with in regards to the series.

You haven't really explained why it's absurd. The fact that it even worked?

Have I got a movie for you, then...

images

My interest in the franchise moving forward is basically gone regardless of who is handling the story. Even if I wiped out the Crystal Skull from my memory, Indiana Jones is Harris Ford in his prime. Without him, using the name is just meaningless and for me, just adds baggage. Even if the movie is decent, I'd imagine it would be better off without the Indiana Jones name on it.

This is actually my opinion, only i didn't know it before you articulated it, so thanks for that :)

I'd probably be interested in a completely new adventure franchise that would do similar things more than actual Indy sequels now!!

-shadow-

It can go either way. Lucas has done great stuff with the first three and I'm not sure if I can call Skull entirely his fault since everyone on it seemed to think it was a bad idea. But still, I'll see it in theatres.

Eh, I think it's time to retire the Plinkett character anyway. His Force Awakens review was unfocused garbage.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Maybe see how (if?) he gets on with his next review (Episode 8 I guess, or maybe Rogue One?), but I didn't like his Force Awakens review at all. Stick to Half in the Bag and let Rich Evans become the only Plinkett.

smisk

I really have no desire for another Indy film.. I'm sure they'll make it better than 4, but it's really not needed. The first 3 films are great, and I really don't feel that this'll add anything. And what the fuck are they gonna do about Shia?

And as much as I like Temple of Doom, you'd be a fool to think the airplane and blow up floaty scene in the beginning of the film isn't at least as bad as anything we saw in the entirety of Indy 4.

But it's not! The floaty boat bit stretches credulity but not to breaking point - they did a Mythbusters on this and found that you would land quite gently if you fell from a plane in an inflatable raft.

Cafeman

Crystal Skulls could have shown Indy in a rocking chair on a porch describing the story, and I'd still have watched it. Same goes for IJ5.

I wish they'd set the film in the 1970's and take a page from "old man logan" and "rocky balboa". Nixon, Vietnam, and an asian maguffin. *

* or bigfoot and loch ness monster. they were popular in the 70's. bigfoot was everywhere. we'd think we saw him in the woods. (j/k on this idea ... kind of)

If you are a fan of his direction or scriptwriting, than I question your tastes in film.

His direction in ANH is fine.

You can also like those things on an entertainment level and like other things that are technically better. Taste isn't so black and white.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
from what perspective?

Lucas as a Storyteller? Ok, i can see that...

If you are a fan of his direction or scriptwriting, than I question your tastes in film.

He's done several movies with good direction from the original Star Wars to American Graffiti and his more experimental THX 1138. He's also been involved in some terrible movies to be fair.

Surfinn

But it's not! The floaty boat bit stretches credulity but not to breaking point - they did a Mythbusters on this and found that you would land quite gently if you fell from a plane in an inflatable raft.

And jump out of an airplane while inflating the raft.. and not flip over during the decent? And survive with no major injuries falling off of a huge ass waterfall?

Yeah I'm gunna go with breaking point, lol.

This is without mentioning the stupidest plot point.. waiting for everyone to fall asleep on the plane, get your parachutes out, JUMP OUT OF PLANE just to kill Indy and friends. It's hilariously stupid. Probably one of the dumber things I've seen in a movie. Lol all they had to do is have the bad guys try to kill Indy/friends on the plane itself and in their struggle, the plane goes down. Same result but way less stupid.

If you can excuse those things though, which amount to a pretty insignificant portion of the film, I'd say it's still a great Indy movie. There's a lot it offers, even if its start is pretty goddamn rocky.

I'm going to be really sad when Indiana Jones goes the same way as all these other endless sequel franchises.
It's Indiana Jones. A series inspired by old serials, that was literally purpose-built to have numerous sequels. Hell, the original deal they signed with Paramount back in the 70s was for 5 films. This is like complaining about us getting a bunch of Star Wars sequels now when George had at one time considered making TWELVE.

Abounder

Banned
Sounds good to me, Lucas is only a good manager (and not needed) - his art has been pretty hit or miss for the past few decades.

I'm going to be really sad when Indiana Jones goes the same way as all these other endless sequel franchises.

Indy was the prequels before the prequels, the young Han Solo movie before it was a thing, etc.

Young Indiana Jones was boring in execution but I actually liked the idea very much. They were even going to introduce Abner Ravenwood in the fourth season :(

Just cancel this. Harrison Ford looks less in shape and older than Connery did in Last Crusade....

He just does not look virile enough to be doing any sort of swashbuckling action that indy was known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom